• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Goldeneye 007 remaster ‘could be revealed in the next few weeks’, it’s claimed

Bullet Club

A Goldeneye 007 remaster ‘could be revealed in the next few weeks’, it’s claimed​

The claim comes amidst increased speculation about the classic game’s release

A HD remaster of N64 classic GoldenEye 007 could be revealed as soon as during the next few weeks, it’s been claimed.

That’s according to VentureBeat journalist Jeff Grubb, who stated on his premium Giant Bomb show GrubbSnax (transcribed by VGC) that he believes that Microsoft is likely to announce the revival, rather than original publisher Nintendo.

This matches what one source has recently told VGC.

Grubb said: “I think that Microsoft is going to be the one to announce that first.” He added: “I think this game is probably coming pretty soon, I’m thinking next couple of weeks.”

Goldeneye 007 has infamously been somewhat of a legal nightmare to rerelease in the past, with rights holders Nintendo, Microsoft and MGM theoretically all required to approve a new version of the N64 classic.

However, 2022 marks the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise, leading many to speculate that the most iconic video game in the franchise’s history could finally be re-released as part of the celebration.

And there is some evidence that this could happen: in January, Rare developers were spotted unlocking Xbox Achievements for Goldeneye 007, implying that a previously-cancelled Xbox 360 remaster could finally be officially released for modern platforms.

Last year it was confirmed that Microsoft had to shelve an already completed remaster of the classic N64 game for the Xbox 360, following licensing issues and miscommunication between license holders and a young team who rushed ahead to create it, despite a deal for the game having never been signed.

A working build of GoldenEye 007’s cancelled Xbox 360 remaster was leaked onto file-sharing sites in early 2021, allowing those with access to the files to play it via a modded console or PC emulator.

At the time, VGC reviewed the leaked GoldenEye Xbox build and called it “the greatest remaster you’ll likely never play”.

Speaking for the first time to VGC in a GoldenEye Xbox interview last year, the canned remaster’s co-directors said they didn’t think it would ever be officially released.

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” co-director Chris Tilston said of seeing the GoldenEye remaster leak into the public domain. “It means people get to see the work that was done, but it also masks some of the cockups that went on behind the scenes.”

Co-director Mark Edmonds added: “The thing that I find strangest is, why now? Why leak it after all this time? Someone must have had this for all those years. It just seems strange to me.

“When I first heard about it, it almost made me think, are Microsoft leaking it on purpose for some reason? (Laughs) I don’t think that would make sense, but it does make you wonder.”

Source: VGC

Doesn't the licensing for this make it an absolute mess. As much as I'd love to see the remaster released, it just doesn't seem likely.

Kacho

Gold Member
Hope it happens. The Goldeneye we got on the Wii years ago was a travesty and kinda missed the fact that people love the classic, not some COD clone abomination.

JayK47

Would be nice, especially since I was unable to get the leaked version to work with emulation. I'd love to be able to play it on PC or Xbox with an official release.

ManaByte

Goldeneye 007 has infamously been somewhat of a legal nightmare to rerelease in the past, with rights holders Nintendo, Microsoft and MGM theoretically all required to approve a new version of the N64 classic.

MGM has nothing to do with the Bond game rights. They only produce and distribute the films for Eon Productions/DANJAQ.

The hold up in the past was that when the original XBLA port of Goldeneye was made, Activision held the Bond video game rights.

The story is different in 2022 and while IO is making a Bond game, the rights aren't as exclusive as when big Activision had them and DANJAQ has the ability to license Goldneye to Microsoft and Nintendo to jointly re-release the game.

The Xbox version will be the old XBLA remaster, while the original N64 game will be added to Switch Online.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm actually surprised it hasn't been announced yet, I thought for sure the leaked achievement list in January meant it's imminent.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I bet it leaking on the internet last year really pushed this forward. They want the money they were losing.

I hope MS puts this on Steam.

I'm not subscribing to expansion pass to play this though. I play this game on original hardware all the time.

Last edited:

DrCheese

It'll be the same game but with a QA pass to fix the bugs. The Switch one will be the N64 original.
Yeah. Hopefully given a slap up to 4k/60.

I've played the leaked version & it's pretty perfect. I'd love to be able to waste a weekend replaying the multiplayer with mates tho, it'd make me buy some extra controllers just for it.

I bet it leaking on the internet last year really pushed this forward. They want the money they were losing.
Historically speaking, patterns run counter to this thought.
The Half-Life 2 leak caused the game to be rebooted and delayed significantly. Most other canceled projects that leak online still never see an official release, or take so long that they're effectively aftermarket faire for only hardcore fans of the old consoles (IE Nightmare Busters, Socks the Cat, Propeller Arena). Star Fox 2 was leaked in the early 2000's but needed another 15 years before it got put on the SNES Classic Mini. EarthBound Beginnings was originally leaked even before StarFox 2, and has an even longer timegap to have any official release. Sega has yet to do anything with any notable canceled Sonic game that ended up leaked on the internet. (SegaSonic Bros. being one of the more recent examples)

Dream-Knife

Banned
Historically speaking, patterns run counter to this thought.
The Half-Life 2 leak caused the game to be rebooted and delayed significantly. Most other canceled projects that leak online still never see an official release, or take so long that they're effectively aftermarket faire for only hardcore fans of the old consoles (IE Nightmare Busters, Socks the Cat, Propeller Arena). Star Fox 2 was leaked in the early 2000's but needed another 15 years before it got put on the SNES Classic Mini. EarthBound Beginnings was originally leaked even before StarFox 2, and has an even longer timegap to have any official release. Sega has yet to do anything with any notable canceled Sonic game that ended up leaked on the internet. (SegaSonic Bros. being one of the more recent examples)
All of those were before the internet got huge though.

Banned
Doesn't the licensing for this make it an absolute mess. As much as I'd love to see the remaster released, it just doesn't seem likely.

as long as Nintendo doesn't say no last minute like the last time it will be no issue whatsoever. the biggest issue I can see is the likenesses of the actors, but I bet that shouldn't be much of an issue either. worst case they need to change the faces

Last edited:

Banned
Too bad it's not released on PC though.

there is a decent HD texture pack for the N64 version, but it doesn't look as good as the remaster. maybe someone will port the N64 code to PC like they did with Mario and are currently doing with Zelda. and if that happens modding in the HD version graphics should be no issue

Marvel14

Banned
Hope it happens. The Goldeneye we got on the Wii years ago was a travesty and kinda missed the fact that people love the classic, not some COD clone abomination.
I loved the multiplayer...the main game wasn't so bad.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Goldeneye HD rumors remind of that athlete that entered retirement and everyone think will comeback, certainly todays consoles can handle it, one of the greatest games of all time.

jimmy fallon n64 GIF by Supercompressor

Banned
Is more like a Call of Duty than a Goldeneye game, but is indeed a remake.

it's not a remake, it is a game roughly based on the GoldenEye movie... it has nothing in common with the N64 game and noone involved worked on both, nor did Activision have the rights to use any of the designs from the N64 game.

715P5dBvXKL._SX425_.jpg

just like this 👆 is not a remake of this 👇... just 2 games based on the same movie

R.acf0d6507ffc2e6f4ef5243ad323905a

Last edited:
Hopefully it's a true remaster that keeps the same single player levels and multiplayer maps and just updates textures and stuff to make it look better, as well as making the aiming functional. If this happens it would be incredible to play this game online with friends, and really just be able to have this game and play it without having to dig out my N64

All of those were before the internet got huge though.
SegaSonic Bros. is a relatively recent example (in regards to when it was leaked), actually. If you want more examples of unreleased games that still aren't seeing re-release, there were several in that Gigaleak some time back. I had quite a bit of fun with the Game Boy Sutte Hakkun, many enjoyed Pokemon Picross, and there was a lot of wonder about the assets for whatever "Super Donkey" was. All of these are likely to never be mentioned or referenced by Nintendo officially ever.

Fact of the matter is, most of the time when a leak of a canceled game happens to begin with, it's because notable people involved in the project gave up on the prospect of it ever becoming a commercially sold product. (The release of Goemon Zero by HiddenPalace.org basically had this stated as the source's motive as an explicit example)

I will not hold any faith that we'll see the HD Goldeneye everyone wants.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
007 in PS2 era were good, but 007 Goldeneye plays like garbage, with aiming and stuff. I had it on X360 and big fucking meh. Counter operative mode, however, was fun.

Banned
IDK if you're serious or not.

I am serious. there are plenty of games that independently were made and released that are all based on the same movie but have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Star Wars was one of these examples. there are like 10 or more games based on the first Star Wars movie... and many that are based on Empire Strikes Back. but none of them are remakes of the other

the EA GoldenEye obviously tried to play on nostalgia with the Multiplayer, but the game is not a remake. it is simply a game based on GoldenEye.
if they even tried replicating any of the level layouts Nintendo and/or Microsoft would have grounds to sue them

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
007 in PS2 era were good, but 007 Goldeneye plays like garbage, with aiming and stuff. I had it on X360 and big fucking meh. Counter operative mode, however, was fun.
What you had on 360 was a different game, GoldenEye 007: Reloaded (which had controls just like COD), the original game's remaster was never released and only recently leaked out to the public. Or you're talking about the Perfect Dark remaster since only that has the Counter-Operative mode. Hard to take this seriously. Either way the games play just fine regardless, that they don't play like every other FPS out there is not any kind of point against them really, just as Resident Evil 4 is also a timeless experience, yet without the usual first/third person shooter schemes based on strafing.

Last edited:

Banned
10/10 rebuttal

well first of all, GoldenEye is not on 360 (outside of the leaked beta which you need a modded 360 for to play), secondly it has no counter operative mode... and thirdly there was like 1 good (more like decent) PS2 era Bond game and that was Nightfire. I have not played From Russia with Love, heard its great, but I have to play that first to judge

Last edited:

Fake

I am serious. there are plenty of games that independently were made and released that are all based on the same movie but have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Star Wars was one of these examples. there are like 10 or more games based on the first Star Wars movie... and many that are based on Empire Strikes Back. but none of them are remakes of the other

the EA GoldenEye obviously tried to play on nostalgia with the Multiplayer, but the game is not a remake. it is simply a game based on GoldenEye.

Believe or not, 007 Goldeneye for n64 barely based on the GoldenEye movie...

For someone here looking for a Goldeneye game with modern controls, Reloaded is the right game. I still prefer a n64 remastered version.

Banned
Believe or not, 007 Goldeneye for n64 barely based on the GoldenEye movie...

For someone here looking for a Goldeneye game with modern controls, Reloaded is the right game. I still prefer a n64 remastered version.

well both are very loosely based on it. the new one doesn't even use the same Bond lol...
the N64 game at least had all the actor likenesses... or I mean... what was called an actor likeness on N64 hardware lol

Fake

well both are very loosely based on it. the new one doesn't even use the same Bond lol...
the N64 game at least had all the actor likenesses... or I mean... what was called an actor likeness on N64 hardware lol

Have nothing to do with the game at all. Copyrights my friend.

Mr Moose

well first of all, GoldenEye is not on 360 (outside of the leaked beta which you need a modded 360 for to play), secondly it has no counter operative mode... and thirdly there was like 1 good PS2 era Bond game and that was Nightfire. I have not played From Russia with Love, heard its great, but I have to play that first to judge

PJX

well first of all, GoldenEye is not on 360 (outside of the leaked beta which you need a modded 360 for to play), secondly it has no counter operative mode... and thirdly there was like 1 good (more like decent) PS2 era Bond game and that was Nightfire. I have not played From Russia with Love, heard its great, but I have to play that first to judge
He's talking about this game

Banned

not the same game, also not a remake.

He's talking about this game

did that have a counter op mode? nope...

also the aiming in this was literally copied over code from Call of Duty and was basically cutting edge at the time. so I doubt he meant that game

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Microsoft has al the money they want to throw after it.

And they will gain them all back by making it a multi platform.

Because, why not.
phil-spencer.large.jpg

Top Bottom