• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

stickkidsam

Weird Halo thought of the day...

Why is the preorder campaign at AUD$99.95? Since multiplayer went F2P why isn't the overall campaign price lower? We're expected to pay the same price as the old games. It seems off by comparison to previous titles and pricing.
I can’t imagine we’ll be getting any multiplayer bonuses for buying it but fingers crossed. If that ”Collector’s Edition” and it’s $15 gift card is anything to go by though…

Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap xbox one controller? I'm looking for the bare minimum, not to play games but to cheese campaign coop and custom games challenges in TMCC. So it really just needs to connect to my xbox and nothing more.

This is the one I'm considering right now unless someone can find something cheaper. I should check ebay for anything used.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap xbox one controller? I'm looking for the bare minimum, not to play games but to cheese campaign coop and custom games challenges in TMCC. So it really just needs to connect to my xbox and nothing more.
I've been using PowerA's Switch Controller and haven't had any real issues yet. The number one problem I seem to find with all cheap controllers is stick drift is inevitable. So if it's not really your main then I feel like the PowerA Xbox One controller would be worth a shot. It's normally around $40 but it's on sale for $30 right now.

Nice kills by the way. That double in Halo 3 was solid.

This is the one I'm considering right now unless someone can find something cheaper. I should check ebay for anything used.
Secondhand ebay special?

Secondhand ebay special?
I've been using PowerA's Switch Controller and haven't had any real issues yet. The number one problem I seem to find with all cheap controllers is stick drift is inevitable. So if it's not really your main then I feel like the PowerA Xbox One controller would be worth a shot. It's normally around $40 but it's on sale for $30 right now.

Nice kills by the way. That double in Halo 3 was solid.
Ha yes thinking the same. Have to be so careful on ebay though. People trying to sell slip covers and boxes instead of the actual controller, and then some controllers are for the 360 not the Xbox one. Looks like the cheapest I can find is $15 used without the micro USB cable. But that isn't a problem as I have tons of those laying around. Or I can pay $20 for a knockoff 3rd party controller new.

On the subject of controllers, Brad Sams said today in his video that MS is working on an Xbox Elite Controller V3. I'm probably finally gonna upgrade from my V1 to that when it comes out, skipped the V2 entirely. As much as I like the Dualsense and XSX controllers, the lack of back buttons is fucking painful. They feel like an outright necessity for some games these days *coughHalo5cough*

Just hope the build quality will be better because I've heard some real horror stories about the V1 and 2.

Havoc2049

If you ever want to knock out some of those custom game Challenges, let me know. Unless I have something going on, I game almost every day in the morning for a couple of hours and throughout the day on Fri and Sat. I'd also be down for some multiplayer. I've had a bunch of people dropping out after a game starts here of late. Playing with randoms can be rough at times. 😑

stickkidsam

As much as I like the Dualsense and XSX controllers, the lack of back buttons is fucking painful. They feel like an outright necessity for some games these days *coughHalo5cough*
Man after getting the Wolverine Tournament Edition I never wanna go back. Having those 2 back buttons has made games sooooo smooth. Being able to jump, shoot, use an ability, or smack someone in the face without moving my thumbs from their rightful place is a dream. Absolutely worth the investment, even with the earlier Halo's. I wonder how it'd be for Dark Souls...

Ha yes thinking the same. Have to be so careful on ebay though. People trying to sell slip covers and boxes instead of the actual controller, and then some controllers are for the 360 not the Xbox one. Looks like the cheapest I can find is $15 used without the micro USB cable. But that isn't a problem as I have tons of those laying around. Or I can pay $20 for a knockoff 3rd party controller new.
God DAMN your wallet must be tight right now. I mean I can understand the sentiment. I've got like $5 in my bank account at the moment lmao

Hope it turns out well mang!

On the subject of controllers, Brad Sams said today in his video that MS is working on an Xbox Elite Controller V3. I'm probably finally gonna upgrade from my V1 to that when it comes out, skipped the V2 entirely. As much as I like the Dualsense and XSX controllers, the lack of back buttons is fucking painful. They feel like an outright necessity for some games these days *coughHalo5cough*

Just hope the build quality will be better because I've heard some real horror stories about the V1 and 2.
Yeah I was really disappointed to hear that the V2 still has the same cheap bumper build quality. Like that should have been a priority number one fix. Hopefully they get V3 perfect.

If you ever want to knock out some of those custom game Challenges, let me know. Unless I have something going on, I game almost every day in the morning for a couple of hours and throughout the day on Fri and Sat. I'd also be down for some multiplayer. I've had a bunch of people dropping out after a game starts here of late. Playing with randoms can be rough at times. 😑
Yeah that would be great. I have no set time when I know I'll be on but I've seen you online a few times recently. Though for the campaign challenges I usually pick whatever is easiest and fastest. There is nothing quicker than completing uplift reserve in H3 ODST. If you do it on legendary it counts as 4 completions. For HCE I usually do pillar of autumn. And for vehicle kills I do the bravo checkpoint in H3's the Ark. For other quick missions I do Reach's Nightfall using the forklift skip and H4's shutdown using the pelican skip.

God DAMN your wallet must be tight right now. I mean I can understand the sentiment. I've got like $5 in my bank account at the moment lmao

Hope it turns out well mang!
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Haha it's not that bad I'm just being a penny hoarder since the controller wouldn't be for anything else. I have a bad habit of spending money lol.

stickkidsam

:messenger_tears_of_joy: Haha it's not that bad I'm just being a penny hoarder since the controller wouldn't be for anything else. I have a bad habit of spending money lol.
Oh man, then dude! Ya gotta invest in a good controller. Upfront the cost sucks but it is SO nice to just have a damn good controller that'll last. That's what the Wolvering TE has been for me so far. That's just me though. If you're good with the budget controller then dope!

Oh man, then dude! Ya gotta invest in a good controller. Upfront the cost sucks but it is SO nice to just have a damn good controller that'll last. That's what the Wolvering TE has been for me so far. That's just me though. If you're good with the budget controller then dope!
I had an elite v1 controller and the bumper broke. Then the controller broke when I tried to replace the bumper haha. So right now I'm using an old Titanfall 1 controller for the Xbox one. I am only looking for a 2nd cheapo controller to use for coop and custom browser challenges in the master chief collection. At some point I'd like to get the razer wolverine controller that you mention. Havoc recommended it as well. But I have time to wait, especially if infinite doesn't even release until December.

Ha I just realized I never watched the Halo 5 legendary ending. I never finished the game on legendary because after finishing it on heroic I didn't want to play it again lol. So I just watched the cutscenes on YouTube. I'm kind of intrigued from a story perspective. Though I really truly hate the way they made Cortana look. Doesn't match up with Jen Taylor's voice at all imo. Cortana just looks like a spoiled brat child. Anyway, now I'm wondering if we won't see more than just the banished in Infinite. I want to know more about the precursors!

Ha I just realized I never watched the Halo 5 legendary ending. I never finished the game on legendary because after finishing it on heroic I didn't want to play it again lol. So I just watched the cutscenes on YouTube. I'm kind of intrigued from a story perspective. Though I really truly hate the way they made Cortana look. Doesn't match up with Jen Taylor's voice at all imo. Cortana just looks like a spoiled brat child. Anyway, now I'm wondering if we won't see more than just the banished in Infinite. I want to know more about the precursors!
I mean, she did break up into fragments, each one most likely just a shadow of her combined self.

No idea how true this is but...

From a numbers perspective 23 maps seems good. Though it depends on if that number is split between something like warzone, forge, and other modes. Is warzone no longer a thing in Infinite? That was one of 343's babies in Halo 5 and it would be surprising to me if they just scrapped it.

From a numbers perspective 23 maps seems good. Though it depends on if that number is split between something like warzone, forge, and other modes. Is warzone no longer a thing in Infinite? That was one of 343's babies in Halo 5 and it would be surprising to me if they just scrapped it.
Warzone was pretty much constructed around the REQ system, and with everyone being scared shitless to do lootboxes after the BF2 thing 343 probably just decided (or were told by MS) to can the entire thing in favor of bringing BTB back.

Last edited:
Warzone was pretty much constructed around the REQ system, and with everyone being scared shitless to do lootboxes after the BF2 thing 343 probably just decided (or were told by MS) to can the entire thing in favor of bringing BTB back.
Ahh yeah that makes sense. Reqs never bothered me to be honest. Yes it was a pain trying to get some of the reqs unlocked but in the end it only had a minimum effect in game. It was one of those things where as long as you kept playing you'd eventually get everything anyway. And I know that money 343 made off reqs really helped with funding tournaments with respectable winnings.

So I thought about posting the tweets as they come in for the top 25 greatest Halo players of all time, but figured it would clog up the thread (more so than my normal posts lol). That and there are only 3 per day announced. So I'm just leaving it alone.

However this is funny:

Sadly, I'll be out of town from the 19th to the 27th. So, unless they make this preview longer than 72 hours I'm probably not going to be able to participate. I'm hoping that somehow 343 decides to make it a week long preview.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Sadly, I'll be out of town from the 19th to the 27th. So, unless they make this preview longer than 72 hours I'm probably not going to be able to participate. I'm hoping that somehow 343 decides to make it a week long preview.
I’ll never understand why an M-Rated game would limit the resupply for its hype train to the weekend. They know people work weekends right? Give us that sweet 7 day suite!

Not a lot of new information this update. Mostly a rehash of what we already know.

Has anyone watched this before? It's 16 hours and 45 minutes in length. I've been going through it 30-60 minutes at a time. Just finished the Mona Lisa short from Halo Evolutions. Rofl that was pretty dark.

Last edited:
Oh okay. Thought "All fully registered Halo Insider profiles as of Sept. 13 are eligible to participate." meant that.
They probably just mean "if you register by then you'll have a chance to get in".

When it happens just be sure to check waypoint regardless if you get an email of not. I got no email for some reason yet was still invited.

You guys think we'll get Campaign footage after the flight ends? If everyone's invited it sounds like the last one.
Yeah, maybe about 1-2 months after it ends. :p Seriously, I'd like to be wrong but at this point I feel like they're going to hold it back as long as humanly possible. And I kind of remember Jeff Grubb (he's a twat but sometimes has good info) kind of alluding to that before E3 too.

Anyone else unable to access the master chief collection seasonal rewards section? It's driving me bonkers. I guess 343 could be getting ready to implement season 8 or something but still highly annoying.

You mean in the Challenge Hub? If so I seem to be able to access it fine.
Not the challenge hub but the section where you unlock seasonal rewards. It's been offline for me since yesterday or the day before that. I'm able to earn challenge points but unable to spend them with the rewards section showing as grayed out and offline.

Edit: it makes you wonder. What is the criteria? Even the stated criteria wouldn't keep him out of the top 10. Like why even bother doing an official top 25 if you're just going to make it a lol list. No one is taking it seriously and that is entirely on HCS.

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of fun watching these new YouTube uploads. The HCS top 25 Halo player countdown has sparked a lot of controversy. Very likely the intention to get people talking about Halo before Infinite launches.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Any of you guys want to carry me through halo 2, odst or reach on legendary or maybe just speed run achievements.
I want to work through some MCC achievements before infinite :)

Havoc2049

I'm getting back into the groove and just hit 20k kills in MCC pvp, woot! 20k kills vs 15.5k deaths, which is nothing epic, but somewhat respectable. I've been hitting it kinda hard here of late and have gone from 17k to 20k kills in just about two weeks. My last two games to put me over 20k were really strong.
y96rSWq.png

FqE0aXf.png

lol
From Req Packs to Snack Paqs 🤤.....Sorry just hit me with a couple of sticky grenades and I'll run into the enemy flag base and take one for the team.
Any of you guys want to carry me through halo 2, odst or reach on legendary or maybe just speed run achievements.
I've been achievement hunting in MCC as well. I just finished speed runs of Halo CE and Halo 2. I'm also playing through the MC Saga Playlist for that Achievement and just started Halo 2. I've completed all the MCC campaigns on Legendary, but I'll help you with whatever. I'm always down for PVE challenges for rank. GT: MajorHavoc 2049

I'm getting back into the groove and just hit 20k kills in MCC pvp, woot! 20k kills vs 15.5k deaths, which is nothing epic, but somewhat respectable. I've been hitting it kinda hard here of late and have gone from 17k to 20k kills in just about two weeks. My last two games to put me over 20k were really strong.
y96rSWq.png

FqE0aXf.png

From Req Packs to Snack Paqs 🤤.....Sorry just hit me with a couple of sticky grenades and I'll run into the enemy flag base and take one for the team.

I've been achievement hunting in MCC as well. I just finished speed runs of Halo CE and Halo 2. I'm also playing through the MC Saga Playlist for that Achievement and just started Halo 2. I've completed all the MCC campaigns on Legendary, but I'll help you with whatever. I'm always down for PVE challenges for rank. GT: MajorHavoc 2049
That's fantastic. It's so gratifying when you're in a groove and taking names lol.

EDIT: So I saw the nvidia leak from earlier this morning but didn't post anything. Guess it's good that I didn't. There were extra files found that possibly indicated Halo 5 was coming to pc as well as Gears 6 being in development (big surprise lol). Looks like it was a nothingburger.

I never know when Ill be on and for how long but I can try and do some campaign levels with you too. Add me and if you see me online shoot me a message or i'll forget lol.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned

Legend, I sent you a message on Xbox, so hopefully our free time aligns up! :)

Top Bottom