• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

That's very interesting. Why would he say that some won't like it? My initial thought is maybe he is going back to Bungie or even 343 Studios, but now I'm thinking he is going to work on some Sony 1st party project. That seems like more of a reason some fans might not like the move. I don't think anyone would be offended if he went back to Bungie. My interest is piqued though.

He has also been doing a lot of nostalgic Halo art work recently and tweeting a lot of about Halo. So maybe he is going over to 343 and all the Bungie fans will be upset.

Last edited:
That's very interesting. Why would he say that some won't like it? My initial thought is maybe he is going back to Bungie or even 343 Studios, but now I'm thinking he is going to work on some Sony 1st party project. That seems like more of a reason some fans might not like the move. I don't think anyone would be offended if he went back to Bungie. My interest is piqued though.

He has also been doing a lot of nostalgic Halo art work recently and tweeting a lot of about Halo. So maybe he is going over to 343 and all the Bungie fans will be upset.

This is too fucking good. Love it.

E--FhL5VEAgQDBR

Crap. It looks like the flag indicator is always there, even with no line of sight.

w87Cl9e.jpg

I get they want to help players know what to do in objective. I hate how watered down this experience is. Basically as a flag runner you're now just a simple target. When you get in decent games it's a death sentence. No more stealth confirmed. Literally zero point going for stealth runs in a one or two man team. Ugh.

If they get massive popularity back to objective modes then I'll live with it. I truly hope it's removed in future updates post launch.

nillapuddin

Crap. It looks like the flag indicator is always there, even with no line of sight.

w87Cl9e.jpg

I get they want to help players know what to do in objective. I hate how watered down this experience is. Basically as a flag runner you're now just a simple target. When you get in decent games it's a death sentence. No more stealth confirmed. Literally zero point going for stealth runs in a one or two man team. Ugh.

If they get massive popularity back to objective modes then I'll live with it. I truly hope it's removed in future updates post launch.
It said "revealed" when he was getting shot

I think it's only if the carrier is or has been recently damaged

stickkidsam

w87Cl9e.jpg

I saw someone on Reddit point out that you get revealed when you sprint with the flag. That might be it?

Hey, this looked pretty good. The bot mode is like tailor made for me.

I completely missed this today 😳 BTB looks fun. I liked the segment with the bots too. That you can make your own team with bots and then play against other bots is awesome. Not sure how I feel about random weapons falling from the sky though. That sounds like Halo 4 shenanigans.

Edit:

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I completely missed this today 😳 BTB looks fun. I liked the segment with the bots too. That you can make your own team with bots and then play against other bots is awesome. Not sure how I feel about random weapons falling from the sky though. That sounds like Halo 4 shenanigans.
To my knowledge the spawn system is completely aesthetic. Unlike Halo 4’s random drops this is meant to just spice up the look of the normal weapon respawns.

hi-mp_tech_preview_schedule-8b7b55559d104e4183f08786696b7b2f.jpg

Here’s a quick overview of what you can expect in Social Arena each day, with new additions bolded:

• Weekend 1 (September 24-26)
    • Friday, September 24 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Slayer on Bazaar, Live Fire, and Recharge
    • Saturday, September 25 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Slayer on Bazaar, Live Fire, and Recharge
      • Capture The Flag on Bazaar
      • Strongholds on Live Fire and Recharge
    • Sunday, September 26 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Slayer on Bazaar, Behemoth, Live Fire, and Recharge
      • Capture The Flag on Bazaar and Behemoth
      • Strongholds on Live Fire and Recharge

• Weekend 2 (October 1-3)
    • Friday, October 1 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Capture The Flag on Fragmentation
    • Saturday, October 2 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Total Control on Fragmentation
    • Sunday, October 3 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Total Control on Fragmentation
      • Slayer on Fragmentation
1120x630_haloinfinite_behemoth_honeydew_07-5995e457897c4d4388e55ff3dce786cb.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry sorry sorry. I know I keep spam posting but things keep happening! Check out all the concept art! I don't have the time to download all and go through them right now. Here is a link to gaming side. SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage posted many of them:

Hi Everyone,

In yesterday’s live stream we mentioned that there was an issue that might delay our Multiplayer Tech Preview. Well, the issue was this: we unintentionally included a group of concept art files in the Tech Preview build.

To be clear: none of these images spoil the Halo Infinite Campaign that you’ll get to play on December 8th. Indeed, we’ve already shown some of these images in previous blog posts.

This art represents a wide range of ideas that we explored early in pre-production and that we planned to share at a later date, as part of Infinite’s pre-launch promotion and other initiatives such as the upcoming “The Art of Halo Infinite” from our partners at Dark Horse (check out some sample excerpts below). For a time, we used these images as loading screens for internal studio builds—and that’s how they accidentally ended up in the Tech Preview build.

Rather than delay the flight, we’ve decided to share all the files with you now. Call it an unplanned “Happy Tech Preview Day!” gift. So, please enjoy this collection of beautiful art from 343 Industries’ incredibly talented concept art team. Download the collection here: 4K Zip File | HD Zip File

These images have inspired us—filled our minds with wonder and possibilities—and we hope they do the same for you.

Joseph Staten

Head of Creative, Halo Infinite

dh_artbook_31-d6eabeb8f55d406abaf75d65c834dcd4.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry sorry sorry. I know I keep spam posting but things keep happening! Check out all the concept art! I don't have the time to download all and go through them right now. Here is a link to gaming side. SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage posted many of them:

dh_artbook_31-d6eabeb8f55d406abaf75d65c834dcd4.jpg

This reminds me of how they had a bunch of concept art in the Halo 5 loading screens that had nothing to do with the actual game.

Guess they wanted to avoid that again?

LxthuL
Orge 2

LxthuL's headshot on his teammate after securing the win and in a live tournament. Instant classic.

Orge 2 is the GOAT. Insane to have seen his matches and clips and general persona around Halo for so long. Honestly a level of elite performance in the realms of Federer, Ali and all the rest.

Good stuff to fill the time while waiting for my flight invite/activation to kick off.

So I didn't get an email, nor did I even get a waypoint notification this time, but I just went on the Xbox insider thing on my console and it was there anyway waiting for me to download.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Oh, I got a Steam key too, but it was buried in my insider profile and I would've had no idea if I didn't go looking for it myself. No idea what's up with this.

Last edited:
Well I played a bunch. Honestly seems mostly the same as before except now high FOV causes some wonky stuff to happen, at least on XSX, where your legs seem to disappear and reload animations drop framerate. Was also getting some weird framerate drops in the firing range for some reason.

They changed the needler and plasma pistol sounds which is good because they sounded awful before. Spartan chatter actually turns off this time, thank god. Shock Rifle is cool but kinda tough to use, reminds of of the Skewer in that it's kind of a precision weapon too. Still not a fan of the UI, I just feel like I'm fumbling around with it a lot of the time.

The bot mode is A+, basically what I've dreamed of for ages now and I hope it gets expanded more in the future.

Grappling hook IMO is still the best thing about the game, my god is it fun to use, best gameplay addition to Halo maybe ever.

Last edited:
Well I played a bunch. Honestly seems mostly the same as before except now high FOV causes some wonky stuff to happen, at least on XSX, where your legs seem to disappear and reload animations drop framerate. Was also getting some weird framerate drops in the firing range for some reason.

They changed the needler and plasma pistol sounds which is good because they sounded awful before. Spartan chatter actually turns off this time, thank god. Shock Rifle is cool but kinda tough to use, reminds of of the Skewer in that it's kind of a precision weapon too. Still not a fan of the UI, I just feel like I'm fumbling around with it a lot of the time.

The bot mode is A+, basically what I've dreamed of for ages now and I hope it gets expanded more in the future.

Grappling hook IMO is still the best thing about the game, my god is it fun to use, best gameplay addition to Halo maybe ever.

First flight for me and first hands on. It feels a tad slow in terms of weapon magazine sizes and reloads in the weapon drills. Same goes for the multiplayer, the movement speed could be another 2-5% I think. Overall very happy with the Halo feel and obviously takes some time to get used to the new weapons etc. I've only had about 30mins with Infinite on my PC, just at RTX2070, Ryzen 2700X but it's doing things well enough. I think the real smoothness will come from when I play on my XSX later tonight, should feel a lot better. I found similar with Apex on my PC vs XSX, likely I need to ratchet a few things down to get smooth 60fps which will help with aiming and target acquisition etc. Graphics are nice, UI is simple enough, doesn't feel brilliantly easy to use at first but very servicable. There are some real bells and whistles not present I hope are there for launch e.g. seeing friend online and infinite when looking at social lists as well as how long they've been in a game or what game names they're playing etc.

Generally a happy Halo fan so far, cannot wait to get into PvP and BTB.

Very cool. I can totally see a spinoff game type where everyone has either swords or hammers, no other weapons and everyone has a grappling hook. Speed up the movement in a small to medium size map and instant mayhem.

First flight for me and first hands on. It feels a tad slow in terms of weapon magazine sizes and reloads in the weapon drills. Same goes for the multiplayer, the movement speed could be another 2-5% I think. Overall very happy with the Halo feel and obviously takes some time to get used to the new weapons etc. I've only had about 30mins with Infinite on my PC, just at RTX2070, Ryzen 2700X but it's doing things well enough. I think the real smoothness will come from when I play on my XSX later tonight, should feel a lot better. I found similar with Apex on my PC vs XSX, likely I need to ratchet a few things down to get smooth 60fps which will help with aiming and target acquisition etc. Graphics are nice, UI is simple enough, doesn't feel brilliantly easy to use at first but very servicable. There are some real bells and whistles not present I hope are there for launch e.g. seeing friend online and infinite when looking at social lists as well as how long they've been in a game or what game names they're playing etc.

Generally a happy Halo fan so far, cannot wait to get into PvP and BTB.
I suspect (hope) a lot of the quality of life bells and whistles you mention show up in the final version. Was always nice in previous Halo games to be able to check a friend's game details to know roughly how much longer they'd be in a game. Small details and features like that go a long way to make a finished product feel extra polished.

I'm trying to tone down my twitter posting but I've seen people finding ways to get into the customs? menu. Some are using split screen while others are customizing their Spartans with armor not meant to be accessible through the preview and using new weapons.

Then there are other clips like these:

Last edited:
So I think the Spartan difficulty bots got buffed from last time. Playing against them now and they're pretty crazy. Lasering me down with ARs from across the map and launching nades with perfect accuracy.

Not a complaint, BTW. I thought they were piss easy last time.

So I think the Spartan difficulty bots got buffed from last time. Playing against them now and they're pretty crazy. Lasering me down with ARs from across the map and launching nades with perfect accuracy.

Not a complaint, BTW. I thought they were piss easy last time.
I thought the bots were decent enough in the previous flight but it was obvious they weren't good enough to take on a team of 4 halfway competent players. I especially like that difficulty for warming up before jumping into social/competitive matches. But having tougher bots at least as an option is definitely a good thing.

Unrelated to Infinite Preview. Latest TMCC development update. Short blip about modding if anyone is interested.

YukiOnna

Classic Slayer has been fun. Looking forward to CTF and Strongholds tomorrow!

Though they definitely should nerf the DPS of the AR, haha. Almost always have to go with that weapon instead of the BR or others, which kind of is a shame. Especially on Live Fire.

Classic Slayer has been fun. Looking forward to CTF and Strongholds tomorrow!

Though they definitely should nerf the DPS of the AR, haha. Almost always have to go with that weapon instead of the BR or others, which kind of is a shame. Especially on Live Fire.
The AR in Halo 3 was garbage and no one missed it. I'd like to see the infinite AR do the same damage lol.

Haha I knew each bot was based on an actual dev or playtester.

Last edited:
Reddit is completely shitting on the aiming in this game. I think it still feels a little off too, even after messing with a bunch of setting. Really hope they fix it. Just copy the MCC systems FFS, after the clusterfuck with H5's aiming I just don't get why they refuse to do it.

YukiOnna

The AR in Halo 3 was garbage and no one missed it. I'd like to see the infinite AR do the same damage lol.
I don't want Halo 3 AR bad... but I guess a bit more balance would be nice. At the very least it's only really limited to Live Fire. Bazaar is Needler/Rocket Launcher palooza and me fucking up Grav kills on the other map.

Reddit is completely shitting on the aiming in this game. I think it still feels a little off too, even after messing with a bunch of setting. Really hope they fix it. Just copy the MCC systems FFS, after the clusterfuck with H5's aiming I just don't get why they refuse to do it.
I don't think it's anything offensive, but it's a little weird when it comes to scope weapons. I thought it was lag, lol.... or I just suck.

Last edited:
Yeah aiming and cadence are quite different. I really don't know why it ever had to change away from Halo 2 or 3 in terms of aiming mechanics.

Woof. Just saw some of the leaked cosmetics. Needless to say I don't think those of us who disliked the latest MCC armors are gonna be very happy. Definitely seems like it was a preview of what's to come in Infinite.

Woof. Just saw some of the leaked cosmetics. Needless to say I don't think those of us who disliked the latest MCC armors are gonna be very happy. Definitely seems like it was a preview of what's to come in Infinite.
I tried searching and couldn't find anything. Can you link or dm? Also, the twitter account @leakyhalo might be banned at the moment as a search pulls up nothing and clicking in his profile isn't working.

So seems people have found a reference to Firefight in datamined Steitzer voicelines, but no one knows if it's some sort of leftover or something actually for Infinite.

Havoc2049

Yeah aiming and cadence are quite different. I really don't know why it ever had to change away from Halo 2 or 3 in terms of aiming mechanics.
I agree. It's why I put tons of time into Destiny/Destiny 2 and barely touched Halo 5 last gen. Hopefully this gen isn't a repeat performance. :messenger_hushed:

Cutty Flam

Banned

w87Cl9e.jpg

Same here, that's so fucking lame if they keep the flag indicator

EDIT: The only way I'll let it slide and not complain is if the maps are spectacular and there are plenty of fun stretches to navigate through to protect yourself as the flag carrier. On a strong map to map basis that would need to be the case. Otherwise, having a constant target on yourself completely destroys stealth and timing when making a push for the capture. It's such a small detail, but it changes so much in terms of gameplay

Last edited:

YukiOnna

At this point, I'm pretty happy with how each of the 3 MP modes and Maps are and know the core gameplay is good. Now I just want to see the campaign...

Same here, that's so fucking lame if they keep the flag indicator

EDIT: The only way I'll let it slide and not complain is if the maps are spectacular and there are plenty of fun stretches to navigate through to protect yourself as the flag carrier. On a strong map to map basis that would need to be the case. Otherwise, having a constant target on yourself completely destroys stealth and timing when making a push for the capture. It's such a small detail, but it changes so much in terms of gameplay

Played a couple of CTF games and the indicator pops when flag guy is spotted or shot at etc, it turns off again if you get away pretty quick. It's good to get noobs to follow what is going on but not ideal if you ask me. For example you can be crossing an open area and an enemy just looks generally that way and an instant highlight. You cannot hide away, it's far better than previous games but a far cry from Halo 2/3 peak objective.

Top Bottom