• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

This Halo 5 talk is bringing back some bad memories, haha.

Absolutely hate that game's campaign, although I did beat it solo Legendary and found it pretty easy in all honesty, even the triple Warden fight which I remember was hyped up as being hard as shit. It's a terrible fight though, and I sincerely hope there's nothing like it in Infinite (the bosses we've seen already look like an improvement).

I'd like to see bosses done like Control or Halo 2 or Deus Ex even. It will be interesting what coop is going to do with the campaign. Are they just dumping in coop or will it "upgrade" boss fights to having more enemies or Destiny style bosses/strikes/raids etc. I'm very curious what 343's plans are. I fear it's just the same old bullet sponges and cheap mechanics of previous Halo legendary games. Warden was a cool design, solid story entry but totally screwed up in terms of gameplay.

I'd like to see bosses done like Control or Halo 2 or Deus Ex even. It will be interesting what coop is going to do with the campaign. Are they just dumping in coop or will it "upgrade" boss fights to having more enemies or Destiny style bosses/strikes/raids etc. I'm very curious what 343's plans are. I fear it's just the same old bullet sponges and cheap mechanics of previous Halo legendary games. Warden was a cool design, solid story entry but totally screwed up in terms of gameplay.
Honestly I think they could take inspiration from how the new Doom games have done their boss fights. And I've said this before - Warden would've made a fine boss if you only fought him once, like, at the end of the game or something. But the fact you have to fight like 7 of him over the course of the campaign was just nonsense.

Honestly I think they could take inspiration from how the new Doom games have done their boss fights. And I've said this before - Warden would've made a fine boss if you only fought him once, like, at the end of the game or something. But the fact you have to fight like 7 of him over the course of the campaign was just nonsense.
Yeah DOOM bosses work too. Good times.

YukiOnna

As long as each boss has its own unique strategy, I'll be happy. I understand if taking down a Brute boss is the same, but Escharum, Harbinger, and Jega should have entirely different approaches. DOOM definitely works.

Boss fights done Deus Ex style would be awesome. I loved the flexibility in Deus Ex. I could go guns blazing or find a more secretive way to take care of the bosses. Was a lot of fun and would work well in Halo like you said.

Last edited:
This is 13 hours ago but looks like we will get some potential new information sometime today, even if it isn't significant. I'll take some visuals though!

Edit: just posting another one of xperia's videos. Some are just okay and some I think are really good. This video about the seven best deaths in Halo was really good imo. Kurt is one of my fav spartans, maybe more than MC 😲

Last edited:
Took forever!

Yeah I'll have to read that one later. Too many words lol, but lots of pictures.

haloinfinitegameplay_4k_10-3d378ab1a4884a569a0fd7d81997bdab.png

haloinfinite_tovarus-sm-ce5584935c1841c7865fe34ad8dbfc08.jpg

Parting words with Staten. Not as inspiring as some of his previous words:

SUPER SOLDIER BASE ASSAULT​

First, if you haven’t watched the Halo Infinite Campaign Overview video, please do. Especially the “Ransom Keep” sequence that begins at 3 minutes and 34 seconds because that particular part really shows off how the character, UXUI, and many other teams have joined forces to create a part of the Infinite campaign experience that feels classic and innovative at the same time. An experience that we call… “Super Solider Base Assault.”

Sorry, I mean: “SUUUUUPER SOLIDER BAAAAASE ASSAULT!” You gotta lean into the movie trailer announcer voice because decimating fortified alien war-bases truly is epic good fun. And here’s why:

Halo games have always been about freedom, and more specifically: the freedom to make interesting tactical choices to optimize your power projection inside a rich physical simulation. While previous Halo campaigns have been chock-full of interesting choices, none have had a world simulation that comes close to Halo Infinite’s.

Specifically, Banished bases like Ransom Keep aren’t obstacles across a linear path. They don’t have one or two or three avenues of attack; they are approachable from every cardinal direction—and often from above and below as well. They don’t just have designer-crafted, pre-placed weapons and vehicles that encourage you to lean into a particular set of tactics. These mighty fortresses stand ready to repulse any arsenal that you choose to deploy against them.

And that’s actually pretty smart of the Banished. Because Super Soldiers have many, many choices.

These include equipment, and if you look at the sequence of the Campaign Overview video that begins at 4 minutes and 13 seconds, you’ll see a first glimpse of how Halo Infinite gives you more freedom than ever before to create your own personal Spartan combat style.

Do you want to invest in your Threat Sensor to improve your reconnaissance capability before executing a stealthier base assault? Do you prefer to amp up your Shield Core to enable a more tank-like, smash the-gate-and-danger-be-damned approach? Maybe the Grappleshot is your priority to maximize freedom of movement and manipulation of battlefield objects like Fusion Coils? All of these decisions and more are just fine by us.

Because Halo Infinite is a game that always does its best to say “Yes!” to you and the choices you want to make… and that includes the choice to launch a perfectly good Warthog full of newly-liberated Marines “safely” off the side of a mountain.

Joseph Staten, Head of Creative for Halo Infinite

Last edited:
Good god that Inside Infinite is long as fuck.

The updated models look great. I really can't express how happy I am that they're going back to the old Covie designs.

Is it wrong I'm putting on a Halo soundtrack to read the Inside Infinite post? No it is not. I have selected Peril and then Truth and Reconciliation Suite. Cracking the case in 5, 4, 3....

Our boy Craig is looking good. Dude has been through it.

haloinfinite_brutecloseup-sm-7584cbfaf0a746218e52e100967e5bba.jpg

Last edited:
That's no longer Craig but the Kraigken hehe. I been working on seasonal challenges in TMCC and I am almost done with the warthog gunner one. I have 16 kills to go lol. Halo 3 heavies is what i've been playing but it's rough with so many other vehicles and spartan lasers running around. I was super jealous this morning. Got home from a mid shift and decided to play a couple games before crashing. Some player on my team had ( I kid you not) 64 kills with the gauss hog cannon. That's more than half the needed kills in one game. I usually have like 3-4....

Also, I've found for the pvp objective challenge the easiest way to finish it is through the H2A territories playlist. You get credit for kills while in the hill and for killing opponents that are in the hill from afar. The other Halo playlists are more stingy and don't award objective medals that count.

EDIT:

Speculation of some kind of beta around September 15th because that is when the Pringles promotion starts?

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Moa Burger flavored Pringles... WTF.. 🤣
I drank several Halo Infinite Rockstars over the last several days. May try to hunt down a case or two, as the artwork is sweet on the cases.

I've been playing Halo CE and Halo 4, 4v4 for the most part, all game types. Every now and then I'll go into a BTB match in either CE, H2A, Reach or Halo 4. I've also been rocking SWAT in Halo 4.
Grabbed a screen shot after getting an Overkill and Killtacular back-to-back.
Red is Dead.. 😜
XyiCOOZ.png

I downloaded the Halo digital novellas, Shadow of Intent and Saint's Testimony, by Joe Staten and Frank O'Connor respectively.
I'm almost done with Shadow of Intent and it's really good. One of the Sangheili warriors rocks the energy sword and shield combo that we saw the Sangheili Demon/Spartan Bounty Hunter rock recently in the Halo Infinite trailer. The shield is also a weapon, as it is sharp on the edges and the combo seems pretty deadly. Can't wait to fight that dude in Infinite.

Assaulty

Hello my fellow megachad Halo enjoyers :messenger_sunglasses:. Been lurking for years here. I'm a huge Halo fan. Moreso (comp) multiplayer than campaign but I also love the lore.

I am currently catching up with the 343 era of Halo books and am in the midst of reading the Ferret trilogy. Troy Denning might be my new favorite "Halo writer" of all time. His books are that good

Hello my fellow megachad Halo enjoyers :messenger_sunglasses:. Been lurking for years here. I'm a huge Halo fan. Moreso (comp) multiplayer than campaign but I also love the lore.

I am currently catching up with the 343 era of Halo books and am in the midst of reading the Ferret trilogy. Troy Denning might be my new favorite "Halo writer" of all time. His books are that good
Hey whats up Assaulty. Glad you dropped in to say hello. The more the merrier! I had a serious craving to do some halo reading a couple of years back (has it been that long?) and read through a whole bunch of the books. But now I'm behind again because a bunch of new ones have come out and I still haven't read the Fractures books lol. But yeah I love the lore. Halo lore with the precursors, forerunners, covenant, and spartans is super fascinating. Can't wait to see what stories are told in Infinite too.

Havoc2049

Welcome aboard!

I feel like I'm always playing catch up with the Halo novels. The only time I stayed up to speed was with the original trilogy and Ghosts of Onyx. I read Oblivion by Troy Denning of The Master Chief series and really enjoyed it. I bought Silent Storm, but haven't even started it and still need to get the third book. I bought the first two novels in the Ferret series, but haven't started those either. 🤣 I need to read more, but there is only so much free time and I play too many video games.

I think my fav novel is still Fall of Reach, with all the Spartan II lore, Blue Team and the epic battle of Reach. I also enjoyed New Blood, as I read that right after ODST was added to MCC and reading about the back stories of Buck, Captain Dare and the fate of The Rookie was really cool.

Last edited:

kikkis

Playing halo 5 for the first time ever. People have been complaining about its graphics but I think it looks great on series x. Initially I was pretty lukewarm on its gameplay but it has picked up nicely after first few levels, even vehicle sections feel nice. Story feels interesting so far and delivery is great in terms of cinematics. I don't mind playing as locke either. I wasn't too interested in halo infinite but now I definitely am.

Dang I spent all my points lol...

"Happy Haloween Players who jump into MCC between now and Sunday, October 31 will earn the spooky animated nameplate, “Happy Haloween!” Be quick about it though, this unlock is only available between now and this upcoming Sunday. Don’t let spooky season pass you by!"

animatedhaloweennameplate-c144fb00bdcb40f0a8bcbd7c2092e0fc.png

"Game Update
Next week, on Wednesday, November 3, MCC will be receiving a new game update. This update is to bring many new customization pieces into the game, specifically for the Exchange. As some keen eyes may have noticed, there currently isn’t anything listed in the Exchange for next week. “What are they,” might you ask? “What can players expect?” The short answer – some cool stuff.Long answer – it’s still confidential. But, here’s a teaser image of some of the things to come:"
^^^^^
Hmmm a grunt plushy back accessory.

EDIT: Not gonna lie - with all this stuff 343 has been adding to TMCC I don't really want them to stop lol. I wanna see want to see what else they can do and come up with. Also, what happened to the Halo CE post-game poses? Did they get scrapped?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Does anyone have issues when MM in Halo 5? It just keeps searching but never finds a game. For Warzone:FF and CTF as well, diff playlists. Everything else fine for other games and internet

Good vid from Act Man about the current battle royale debate

A solid assessment about the "why" streamers want a BR title. They want what they know has been successful for them to extend to Halo. All of that said and taken into account I personally still want a Halo BR game. So do all my Halo buds who still play Apex/Halo with me on the regular. We literally turned to Apex Legends as it's the best Halo multiplayer around. Honestly Apex is like an evolved Halo BR in so many ways.

It's such a hard thing for 343 to look at. They produce a great Arena/Sandbox game and it does great gamer population wise, irrespective of streamers, and they're supposed to what release a BR game alongside it and cannibalise their own playerbase and matchmaking pools? BR games are literally designed around pushing players back through hoppers but rewarding winning gameplay/squads with end game encounters. Halo is constant action in terms of Arena/Sandbox game modes, less down time by comparison to current BR trends. No looting required, just straight to the action. Infinite is very much tuned to action beats very often and quickly too.

Halo is a perfect fit for BR, insanely so. I don't care for the streamers making bank or not, I think there is an audience for amazing gameplay but an even larger audience for interesting content. Something Halo or Battlefield excel at for example.

I dream of an objective based onion skin Halo BR game where slaying gets it done and fighting over key weapon/vehicle/base gains rewards the winners. Only to escalate again throughout rounds. I repeatedly dream of minimal elements akin to the old dominion base upgrades as well e.g. fixed position Fortnite-lite building. Potential exists for allies and foes forming in game and other creative approaches to BR evolutions in terms of mechanics and gameplay.

There is demand and a space for Halo BR, the streamers are partly right, just for the wrong reasons. Halo Infinite isn't going to die off rapidly, absence and a very competent showing by 343 in tech previews has sparked the Halo flame alright. Campaign alone will be streamed for years. Mods and community content are going to explode with cross platform appeal too. Again 343 have a tough decision around balancing classic Halo vs BR. Who would have thought Halo itself would be staring down the barrel of a BR.

Last edited:
Last edited:
But I want a physical copy as well. 😅
I used to want a physical copy of everything for rounding out collections and what not, but I've grown old and lazy. On a side note, good games the other night. You don't know how happy it makes me that there is someone else here who enjoys original CE matchmaking lol. I could spend all day in the CE playlists.

A solid assessment about the "why" streamers want a BR title. They want what they know has been successful for them to extend to Halo. All of that said and taken into account I personally still want a Halo BR game. So do all my Halo buds who still play Apex/Halo with me on the regular. We literally turned to Apex Legends as it's the best Halo multiplayer around. Honestly Apex is like an evolved Halo BR in so many ways.

It's such a hard thing for 343 to look at. They produce a great Arena/Sandbox game and it does great gamer population wise, irrespective of streamers, and they're supposed to what release a BR game alongside it and cannibalise their own playerbase and matchmaking pools? BR games are literally designed around pushing players back through hoppers but rewarding winning gameplay/squads with end game encounters. Halo is constant action in terms of Arena/Sandbox game modes, less down time by comparison to current BR trends. No looting required, just straight to the action. Infinite is very much tuned to action beats very often and quickly too.

Halo is a perfect fit for BR, insanely so. I don't care for the streamers making bank or not, I think there is an audience for amazing gameplay but an even larger audience for interesting content. Something Halo or Battlefield excel at for example.

I dream of an objective based onion skin Halo BR game where slaying gets it done and fighting over key weapon/vehicle/base gains rewards the winners. Only to escalate again throughout rounds. I repeatedly dream of minimal elements akin to the old dominion base upgrades as well e.g. fixed position Fortnite-lite building. Potential exists for allies and foes forming in game and other creative approaches to BR evolutions in terms of mechanics and gameplay.

There is demand and a space for Halo BR, the streamers are partly right, just for the wrong reasons. Halo Infinite isn't going to die off rapidly, absence and a very competent showing by 343 in tech previews has sparked the Halo flame alright. Campaign alone will be streamed for years. Mods and community content are going to explode with cross platform appeal too. Again 343 have a tough decision around balancing classic Halo vs BR. Who would have thought Halo itself would be staring down the barrel of a BR.
This is an interesting topic. Personally, I have zero experience playing battle royale modes. I've never touched PUBG, Fortnite or Apex Legends but I've watched streams on more than one occasion. So I don't have any experience to make an argument either way. Halo will be, like you said, popular regardless, but I can see how having BR would bring in a lot of new players and appease the streamers. Which is a win win why not both kind of situation. I certainly don't think it would hurt the playlist population at all. I know 343 has suggested they won't add one but I could see it happening at some point. There is no logical reason not to add it.

Last edited:
In all honesty I think BR is pretty much inevitable whether we want it or not. Like I would be pretty damn shocked if Infinite never gets it. But Act Man is right, they need to get the fundamental Halo shit (co-op, Forge, Firefight, etc.) into the game first before they even think about doing BR or else people aren't going to be very pleased.

I don't think it's much of an issue either because with how extensive Forge, Customs, and the Campaign map are looking I'd say most of it can probably just be made through those alone.

Damn they are really cranking up the marketing now.

Edit

rjvY3nC.png

I watched the IGN video where they cover the new map called Streets? Im sure it is going to play fine but once again it is another very generic style map with the same textures and styles that they have used in numerous maps before. Honestly I think Plaza from Halo 5 has way better atmosphere. I'd just like to see some covenant themed maps. Like the last halfway decent one was Truth from Halo 5. It'd be nice to get more than one this go around. I know I'm being nit picky but I'd like to see 343 take a few risks and try something new. The industrial complex and strip mall looks are getting old.

Last edited:
I watched the IGN video where they cover the new map called Streets? Im sure it is going to play fine but once again it is another very generic style map with the same textures and styles that they have used in numerous maps before. Honestly I think Plaza from Halo 5 has way better atmosphere. I'd just like to see some covenant themed maps. Like the last halfway decent one was Truth from Halo 5. It'd be nice to get more than one this go around. I know I'm being nit picky but I'd like to see 343 take a few risks and try something new. The industrial complex and strip mall looks are getting old.
I agree, I'd really like to start seeing some more Forerunner and Covenant/Banished maps.

Also, interestingly it sounds like there may actually not be any exact map remakes in the game.

y2OQx6W.png

elliot5

I agree, I'd really like to start seeing some more Forerunner and Covenant/Banished maps.

Also, interestingly it sounds like there may actually not be any exact map remakes in the game.

y2OQx6W.png
I don't see why there should be 1:1 remakes in a game like Infinite with grapplehooks and thrusters and whatnot. I feel like I'd rather take a reskinned version that has a few new elements to account for these mechanics.

I'm sure when Forge releases people will remake every big name map tho anyway

Enough remakes. Move forward. I'm so fucking sick of playing OG and remakes of midship, lockout, sanctuary etc. Enough HCS/MLG shite in social. Bring some reimagining or inspirations but enough 1 to 1 remakes.

I don't see why there should be 1:1 remakes in a game like Infinite with grapplehooks and thrusters and whatnot. I feel like I'd rather take a reskinned version that has a few new elements to account for these mechanics.

I'm sure when Forge releases people will remake every big name map tho anyway
Yeah the grapple hook is a game changer that wouldn't work in the originals.

Well, the thing is they could just not have those pieces of equipment spawn on those maps. Thus the beauty of this equipment system - them being sandbox items you pick up rather than base abilities you spawn with like in 4 or 5 gives them a lot more flexibility.

Though it does seem like they're going for "reimaginings" rather than exact remakes, and an example they give is how Fragmentation is basically an expanded Valhalla. I have no doubt remakes will come in the future though, and if they don't there's always Forge (once it gets added!)

Enough remakes. Move forward. I'm so fucking sick of playing OG and remakes of midship, lockout, sanctuary etc. Enough HCS/MLG shite in social. Bring some reimagining or inspirations but enough 1 to 1 remakes.

Well, the thing is they could just not have those pieces of equipment spawn on those maps. Thus the beauty of this equipment system - them being sandbox items you pick up rather than base abilities you spawn with like in 4 or 5 gives them a lot more flexibility.

Though it does seem like they're going for "reimaginings" rather than exact remakes, and an example they give is how Fragmentation is basically an expanded Valhalla. I have no doubt remakes will come in the future though, and if they don't there's always Forge (once it gets added!)

I could think of a couple maps that could work with the Infinite sandbox but yea Let's let them do new maps. Some we've seen remade so many times it isn't funny.

All true. lol.

Chevy car concept "The Beast" is so close to a Puma it isn't funny. I wonder where they got their inspiration from.

c4e4115a73b86206733629cdb9edf538

d7c51d445a6dd41debb215a45b2152bb

182f0bd416965154c8b1c6c19f1b5e14

No fuel tanks on the back, no sale.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im all for new maps as well but remakes have their place. Especially for such a long running series. Theres quite a few true staples.
I always looked at online Halo like a pickup game of basketball - and a proven map like Sanctuary as the basketball court. That map plays amazingly in every iteration of Halo its appeared - Halo gameplay just works on it.

I hope they give us a ton of officially made maps being that the game is basically a live service now.

Top Bottom