• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Well the assault rifle in Infinite is complete bullshit lol. No reason to use anything else unless you have a power weapon. Tons of ammo. Kills from distance. No skill required. I've been trying to use other weapons but giving up since there is no point.

h00ters

Spent most of yesterday playing on a 52" OLED on the Series X. Then moved to my 4 year old PC. Obviously had the settings turned way down on the PC but made me realise I can't play FPS games on anything other than a computer monitor now. Think I'll be using the TV exclusively for more casual games.

Adding to my above post, I went into a quick match and used the AR almost exclusively and ended with the most kills out of both teams. I watched as players tried to use the pistol against me and almost laughed. I knew it was highly unlikely anyone would be able to 5 shot me or whatever amount of shots it takes to kill and sure enough I'd always see the player have to reload while I'm still just holding down the trigger and spraying bullets. 343 needs to give the pistol more ammo or make it slightly more powerful. I hate that it is referred to as a side arm and seeing the AR considered the primary weapon. It's sacrilege in a Halo game imo. Bungie did the same thing with Reach . Pistol was stupid hard to get kills with and the AR was not.

Spent most of yesterday playing on a 52" OLED on the Series X. Then moved to my 4 year old PC. Obviously had the settings turned way down on the PC but made me realise I can't play FPS games on anything other than a computer monitor now. Think I'll be using the TV exclusively for more casual games.
You'll get used to the larger screen if you stick with it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Adding to my above post, I went into a quick match and used the AR almost exclusively and ended with the most kills out of both teams. I watched as players tried to use the pistol against me and almost laughed. I knew it was highly unlikely anyone would be able to 5 shot me or whatever amount of shots it takes to kill and sure enough I'd always see the player have to reload while I'm still just holding down the trigger and spraying bullets. 343 needs to give the pistol more ammo or make it slightly more powerful. I hate that it is referred to as a side arm and seeing the AR considered the primary weapon. It's sacrilege in a Halo game imo. Bungie did the same thing with Reach . Pistol was stupid hard to get kills with and the AR was not.

You'll get used to the larger screen if you stick with it.
I decided to go for the pistol reward last night and my strat was literally spray with the AR then quickly switch to the sidekick…it was insanely effective, such that I’m now using that as my go-to in quick play

Last edited:
Well the assault rifle in Infinite is complete bullshit lol. No reason to use anything else unless you have a power weapon. Tons of ammo. Kills from distance. No skill required. I've been trying to use other weapons but giving up since there is no point.
I've been saying this since the tech tests. It's so good that there's very little reason to use anything else aside from straight up power weapons like the rocket launcher. Especially stuff like the pulse carbine which to me still feels like crap to use.

splattered

For some reason like i don't do that great with the assault rifle... i slay with the pistol though! I usually switch to pistol immediately every spawn until i find a decent primary to switch back to. I think part of what gets me with the rifles is that flinch totally pulls you out of zoom and i'm so used to ADS with call of duty and stuff.

I usually keep the assualt rifle and immediately switch out the pistol with anything else lol. I considered upgrading to the battle pass but in the end decided not to.

Best weapon in the game: Stalker rifle. It's like using a BR but better, way better.

Does anyone know what the 20th anniversary stuff is? It says log into waypoint and stuff will automatically be added to our inventory. But I'm needing seeing anything.

EDIT: HCS stuff if anyone is interested.

Haha

Last edited:

link1201

It's just these. A few skins and a Charm and whatnot.

DY6LW9X.png

Kenpachii

Performance is rought men, even on a 3080 i get like 70's at max settings. Just lowered the resolution scaling to 60% to get 120+ fps.

I thought we did?
If we do it's not unlocked for me.

Now that I'm getting a feel for all the weapons big team battle is a lot more fun. I like using the shock rifle and the hydra if available. The hydra is deceptively good. I'll just sit back at a base and wait for vehicles or people to come by and use the homing ability. Or I'll use the shock rifle to disable a vehicle and then switch to the hydra.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Not sure it's bullshit but it is so good I'm consistently getting outmatched every time I pick up a Commando. Even at midrange where that thing is supposed to shine.

No reason to use the Commando whatsoever as it is now.

Also, I forgot Ive been following this thread for years. Hi all.

Not sure it's bullshit but it is so good I'm consistently getting outmatched every time I pick up a Commando. Even at midrange where that thing is supposed to shine.

No reason to use the Commando whatsoever as it is now.

Also, I forgot Ive been following this thread for years. Hi all.
Oh the bullshit part is just me ranting lol. Hiya!

I've seen some reports that people have tested it and the Commando now has a slower TTK than both the AR and sidekick after the nerf. Really don't know why they decided to do that.

Yep, we had a slayer game with 4 of us stacked and all of us had better accuracy e.g. 43% - 56% and the other team's highest accuracy was 31%. They won with more damage done just by spraying and praying. Shithouse.

The weapons appear to be quite network dependent too. I've noticed games where I'll have 20ms on an Aussie match and the game still feels like shit in terms of registering hits vs enemies hits. It feels as if they get 25% more damage but visually you don't see anything wrong. There's some elements of smoke and mirrors that are performing at high levels in Infinite. Pretty annoying.

It's horrible to go down 5 deaths and then pickup a BR and go on a killing spree immediately. I have to question BTB huge maps that have AR/pistol starts. What a waste. I also have to question why social is just a duplicate of ranked arena HCS stuff but with radar and not BR starts. They really need to open on social Halo to classic Halo and not duplicate hardcore competitive in terms of maps and modes.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'd kill just for the playlists of old. Give me ranked arena and ranked team slayer, social BTB, arena, team slayer and solo slayer.

Stuff like Grifball was great in halo 2/3 but once it became an "official" mode it kinda lost its charm.

They could try it and SWAT later on but just the additions of playlists that actually provide some semblance of playing what you want to play would massively increase my enjoyment of the game.

As would the twats stop chasing progression challenges and actually play the objective. Especially in ranked.

As would the twats stop chasing progression challenges and actually play the objective.
Yep. Had an oddball game where they just kept at kills, literally not even pick up the ball. They had something like 40 kills where we had 20 or so. Still won the game. Halo players are the worst in terms of objective, post Halo 3 that is.

Also LOL @ Doc.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Really starting to find my groove on this now. There is some major potential to flex skills in this game.

I said this during the Flights but its very much its own thing - its not H3, not even H5. So ive made my peace with that and accepted Infinite for what it is. You have to make decisions much much quicker than other Halo games - I guess because the engagement rate is so much higher. Plus having equipment to decide on makes the game that much deeper. Im slowly training my brain to utilize the equipment at all times - so many times Ive died forgetting I had repulsor or something. I can feel myself getting better almost every match.

The main key to Infinite for me is all about the very quick shield recharge. Even in some of these super cramped maps theres always these subtle diagonal corners or small cubbies to duck into and recharge - even during the madness around you. The more I play the more I can see something as minor as a tiny slanted corner is all very deliberate in its design.

-The AR needs its range toned down. There is no way an AR should be shredding shields from halfway across the map - thats crazy. I swear the first flight's AR was not this strong - in flight 2 and now this beta it was buffed. Its twitchy, crazy quick up close - but if you keep calm and aim carefully you will beat all these AR scrubs.

-The plasma weapons, even that weird disruputer thing, truly are about shredding shields more than ever before - then a quick finish with another weapon. It seems no one uses the weirder weapons - but they have potential, they just have little room for error.

-I feel most at Halo home on the Behemoth map - very Halo 3-like, but ive warmed up to all of the maps, some very different playstyles needed in each. Ive seen some truly epic 4v4 CTF matches already. Last, I love that One Flag CTF is finally back.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most battle pass systems for games simply allow for getting content quicker? Seems strange that 343 would completely lock everyone else out of content. Is there another game that does that? The more I think about it the more asinine it becomes lol. I get that Infinite is free to play but I don't see the logic in the paywall. I considered doing the season 1 battle pass and opted not to mostly out of annoyance. Not gonna participate yet. But I've seen lots of people in games who have already spent money on battle pass plus other store content, so the system must be working.

Last edited:
Big chunk of campaign gameplay. Spoilers obviously. I actually kind of like it, especially the Cortana flashback. But the Banished say something during their meeting scene that I really, really hope is just some kind of red herring or fakeout.

Also:

Zeau0J8.png

Man, it sounds like this game was just a skeleton before Staten came in. Really wonder what the hell they were doing all that time.

1ZFssZC.png

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Sounds way more than just polishing the game. Though reading some of this stuff and seeing the game itself discredits the reddit post somewhat. It doesn't seem to be a short campaign at all.

Makes sense Zeta Halo will be the setting for sequels, seems we're only in one portion of the ring.

Oof campaign coop not being available until May is going to upset a ton of people. I'm excited to play it though. Everything Staten says about the campaign really resonates with me. I want to watch the gameplay walkthrough but being so close to release I'm just gonna wait it out. Less than a month.

You have Mark VII armor without a battle pass.
At level 96!!!! ( <-- haha this was meant to be funny) I went through all the helmet unlocks and most don't happen until 30 or beyond. The Mark VI (what I consider one of the more iconic MC helmets) isn't available until level 84. I still don't get the pricing on any of these things either. $10 is reasonable enough for the battle pass but the bundle to get 25 levels of xp is $28? Seems steep. And then there are $20 armor sets lol. Do you know if the HCS offerings are just the coating or do you unlock the armor too? I'm guessing it's just the coating but figured Id ask. Those look the most enticing out of everything including the store.

EDIT:
So if I bought anything from the store it would probably be an HCS skin, mainly because they look significantly better than any of the battle pass unlocks, and also to support the teams. It would have to be a team with players that I root for. Envy has Pistola who I've always been a fan of, but I could see myself rooting for Spacestation Gaming too. Very curious to see where Flamesword ends up. Is he joining one of the current 9 teams or forming a new one? I gotta say, out of all the skins that yellow one for team Navi might be the worst. They need a redesign asap. What are your thoughts?

I kind of dig FNATIC's color scheme but they haven't released their roster yet. I have no idea who is on that team.

Ace and Elamite heading up SPACESTATION GAMING. I can easily root for this team. Would be a cherry on top if they pulled in Flamesword too.

ENVY's skin is okay, but would mostly do it as a fan of Pistola.

Cloud 9's skin is one of the better ones, but I imagine that it will also be the most common that people get and I have no vested interest in the roster.

FAZE CLAN is also alright. I saw someone on twitter complaining that all the chest pieces in Infinite were plain gray. This would be the exception and red camo looks tight. But it's another unknown roster.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Big chunk of campaign gameplay. Spoilers obviously. I actually kind of like it, especially the Cortana flashback. But the Banished say something during their meeting scene that I really, really hope is just some kind of red herring or fakeout.

Also:

Zeau0J8.png

Man, it sounds like this game was just a skeleton before Staten came in. Really wonder what the hell they were doing all that time.

1ZFssZC.png

Considering what we have seen of the MP, the year delay, and the numerous devs leaving the project over the years - it is clear that those leaks about major development issues and essentially restarting in 2018 are true.

YukiOnna

Considering what we have seen of the MP, the year delay, and the numerous devs leaving the project over the years - it is clear that those leaks about major development issues and essentially restarting in 2018 are true.
I just wish the Campaign/MP team were more unified. Thank goodness they launched an open beta or the release and changes would be slower than what we have now.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they restarted development around 2017. A detail a lot of people seem to overlook is the sudden exit of Brian Reed as main writer in 2017 (he got A LOT of backlash for his work on Spartan Ops and especially Halo 5), it would line up with them wanting to reboot/change direction.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I just wish the Campaign/MP team were more unified. Thank goodness they launched an open beta or the release and changes would be slower than what we have now.

Everything that was supposed to be here at launch on the 8th is here now. It’s the “beta” in the same way that Fortnite was a “beta” in its 10th season. In name only.

Also many of these issues were talked about for months in the test flights. As long as people keep pushing and not get complacent, we should get the bare minimum we should expect out of a launch in a few months.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they restarted development around 2017. A detail a lot of people seem to overlook is the sudden exit of Brian Reed as main writer in 2017 (he got A LOT of backlash for his work on Spartan Ops and especially Halo 5), it would line up with them wanting to reboot/change direction.

Supposedly the leaks state that they restarted development in mid to third quarter of 2018. Given the history we know of and what we have seen of the product back last year? I can totally believe it.

I will give props to the grunt devs over at 343 and the folks they hired. They clearly worked their asses off to improve the game and it shows. Art design is better than ever. Guns feel great to shoot. Amazing feedback on shots. Audio on them is also fantastic. I just hope the leaks about the story are somewhat true. Would make for a fantastic return to form on the campaign.

YukiOnna

Everything that was supposed to be here at launch on the 8th is here now. It’s the “beta” in the same way that Fortnite was a “beta” in its 10th season. In name only.

Also many of these issues were talked about for months in the test flights. As long as people keep pushing and not get complacent, we should get the bare minimum we should expect out of a launch in a few months.

Supposedly the leaks state that they restarted development in mid to third quarter of 2018. Given the history we know of and what we have seen of the product back last year? I can totally believe it.

I will give props to the grunt devs over at 343 and the folks they hired. They clearly worked their asses off to improve the game and it shows. Art design is better than ever. Guns feel great to shoot. Amazing feedback on shots. Audio on them is also fantastic. I just hope the leaks about the story are somewhat true. Would make for a fantastic return to form on the campaign.
Yeah this is only beta in name. I'm already miffed we're stuck in one season till May and there's been no indication of new maps coming till probably Season 2. That aside, they need the additional career progression developed and released within Season 1 or the BP is going to be a major problem with upcoming events. And agreed, hopefully noise is still being made about it.

It would suck if MP population died early.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah this is only beta in name. I'm already miffed we're stuck in one season till May and there's been no indication of new maps coming till probably Season 2. That aside, they need the additional career progression developed and released within Season 1 or the BP is going to be a major problem with upcoming events. And agreed, hopefully noise is still being made about it.

It would suck if MP population died early.
Eh, I don’t see the MP dying any time soon. Even with the lack of content, its still Halo. It will maintain a hardcore fan base that refuses to leave.

As for maps, didn’t the roadmap today state that there will be a couple new maps Coming Before seasons end? I expect we will see those around February or March.

My hope is that enough people push 343 to do better so when they do make a Halo 7 it will have at least as much content on launch as Halo Reach did. Assuming they actually make a new MP and not just Have this as the only MP for Halo for the generation+.

Couldn't help myself and watched the intro. Was just alright. I don't see the Master Chief punching Atriox like a punching bag as being characteristic of the Master Chief or spartans in general. But it's a minor complaint.

So, I want to get everyone's thoughts on the wasp in btb. I think it ruins the flow of the game considerably. Plus they gave it homing missles lol. There's just a certain ebb and flow to matches in btb and the random spawnings of the wasp really interrupt that flow. I went 15-1 yesterday using the wasp and in a different game a person on the opposing team had 34 kills with it. I admit I'm not a huge fan of flying vehicles in halo matchmaking though. I just don't see how getting into a groove on a mostly 2d playing field and then being interrupted by random flying vehicles of destruction is enjoyable. The banshee in Halo 5 was equally stupid.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Couldn't help myself and watched the intro. Was just alright. I don't see the Master Chief punching Atriox like a punching bag as being characteristic of the Master Chief or spartans in general. But it's a minor complaint.

So, I want to get everyone's thoughts on the wasp in btb. I think it ruins the flow of the game considerably. Plus they gave it homing missles lol. There's just a certain ebb and flow to matches in btb and the random spawnings of the wasp really interrupt that flow. I went 15-1 yesterday using the wasp and in a different game a person on the opposing team had 34 kills with it. I admit I'm not a huge fan of flying vehicles in halo matchmaking though. I just don't see how getting into a groove on a mostly 2d playing field and then being interrupted by random flying vehicles of destruction is enjoyable. The banshee in Halo 5 was equally stupid.

I enjoy the wasp, but we seriously need more vehicles and less RNG spawns. FFS, I have played 15 hours and I have STILL yet to see a single Banshee.

I'm really annoyed at the customization still. I keep thinking I might buy an HCS skin but then I remember that even with the skin I'll stick look like trash without any good armor. Then I consider getting the battle pass too. But even if I did that I wouldn't have access to a helmet I like in the game until past level 50. So it's a shit show and there isn't any reason to do either purchases. 343 really goofed by not giving any good early customization options. I'm willing to spend money but I wouldn't have an honest reason to until months from now lol. 🤷

I enjoy the wasp, but we seriously need more vehicles and less RNG spawns. FFS, I have played 15 hours and I have STILL yet to see a single Banshee.
I've seen the banshee several times. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I noticed that compared to the wasp it is not very good. I chased down vehicles with it on more than one occasion and the banshee felt like it wasn't doing any damage.

Hey everyone, I'm going to be hosting the Halo Championship Series broadcast in 45 minutes.

We'll be live on twitch.tv/halo

Check it out!
Wish I could watch. I'm at work. Next time though!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm really annoyed at the customization still. I keep thinking I might buy an HCS skin but then I remember that even with the skin I'll stick look like trash without any good armor. Then I consider getting the battle pass too. But even if I did that I wouldn't have access to a helmet I like in the game until past level 50. So it's a shit show and there isn't any reason to do either purchases. 343 really goofed by not giving any good early customization options. I'm willing to spend money but I wouldn't have an honest reason to until months from now lol.

I've seen the banshee several times. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I noticed that compared to the wasp it is not very good. I chased down vehicles with it on more than one occasion and the banshee felt like it wasn't doing any damage.

Wish I could watch. I'm at work. Next time though!

I honestly wouldn’t mind the customization if we had the same basic level of customization that we had in Halo 1 (though preferably Reach). have the cooler/insane new sets be paid for and in the battle pass. But its clear the devs just want to get as much money for as little effort as possible.

Thankfully there will be some armor sets in the main campaign, but how much and what “type” remains to be seen. Hoping we can get some good/rare looking armor for doing uqniue things like 100% completing the game on Legendary.

Top Bottom