• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Topher

Gold Member
Not seeing an OT dedicated to Halo Infinite, but I have a question. Is anyone playing Infinite on Xbox with keyboard and mouse? Curious to how well it works. I've found KB&M implementation to be hit/miss on consoles.

23 in one shot.

bc3dc9c4e165f2c5ba26b49a667c9ea6.gif

I'm late to the party and only just saw the Xbox Museum a little earlier. Funny that 2020 my most played game was Dance Central. In 2020 I took a hefty break from console gaming and may have started playing wow classic for a time. I was trying to get my wife and daughter into Dance Central Revolution, which is why it even shows up. And my one achievement rofl is True Bromantic :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Solid effort.

On another note it appears you cannot replay the linear campaign mission in Infinite e.g. after being complete click a menu to jump to a mission. Seems weird given the support for speed runs over the years.
Wasn't that because they were levels you could load into unlike the seamless nature of the game now?

Wasn't that because they were levels you could load into unlike the seamless nature of the game now?
Not sure of the why. It's just a big departure from previous games if true. Perhaps there is a Destiny style approach to "finding" those missions again in the open world. I'm just going off gaming site/YT reports etc.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Not sure of the why. It's just a big departure from previous games if true. Perhaps there is a Destiny style approach to "finding" those missions again in the open world. I'm just going off gaming site/YT reports etc.
Yea that's one thing I really hope 343 can fix pretty quick but somehow I doubt it. I don't want to have to start a whole new game just to play a couple of missions again.

Havoc2049

Solid effort.

On another note it appears you cannot replay the linear campaign mission in Infinite e.g. after being complete click a menu to jump to a mission. Seems weird given the support for speed runs over the years.
So when you finish the game, can you roam around the world or once you're done, it's done? I wonder if it supports multiple saves, so a player can go back to a certain point in the open world? I've read one review and watched one video review and they never talk about it. It will be interesting how it all plays out. Maybe that is why they were having issues with the co-op.

Last edited:
So when you finish the game, can you roam around the world or once you're done, it's done? I wonder if it supports multiple saves, so a player can go back to a certain point in the open world? I've read one review and watched one video review and they never talk about it. It will be interesting how it all plays out. Maybe that is why they were having issues with the co-op.
I believe you can do any open world stuff at your will. As for the linear campaign missions, I've been trying to find something reliable/concrete but so far it's just confirmed "no menu mission select" after completion. I have a few gamertags/family tags so I can manage multiple games that way but seems like ass to not just have multi-saves and mission select post end game. Honestly going PC support should mean all those bells and whistles that PC games have had for decades e.g. multi-saves/labelling etc.

So an Apex buddy of ours who we play with regularly for over a year and has never played Halo was checking out Infinite's multiplayer with us again last night and has this comment -

I'm not entirely sold on the multiplayer yet but I'm keen to play some coop with you guys

We proceed to laugh/cry and explain coop ain't there at launch or for 6 months. You can imagine his reaction. What a missed opportunity to bring more players in and have them cross multi or campaign. This is the trouble with 343 on many game releases now, they have some great ideas but their execution sets them back during that launch/honeymoon phase. The old one step forward and two steps back or vice versa. Honestly I think this is hurting Halo more than we know in the sense of how widespread it could have been, beyond the good reception it has going.

Just replying to this again as a bit more detail has officially been confirmed by 343 over at Polygon

Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries will add the ability to replay story missions after launch, associate creative director Paul Crocker told The Verge. There’s no planned date just yet, but it’s in the works.

Honestly what a oversight to be missing. How long would it take a couple of 343 staff to implement this and have it make total sense in canon too -
  1. Unlock a Halo ring teleportation grid point after each mission for the start of the mission or multiples during the mission.
  2. Simply use the same story triggers when the teleportation is used for a specific mission.
  3. Commence the same exact game engine point/loading as a first time mission start does.
Again I reference Respawn doing it better with maximising their campaign flow early in game design with Jedi Fallen Order. You have a semi open world where you take the long route first time through, gain abilities to access certain areas (both crucial to campaign and/or collectibles later on) and unlock fast routes for backtracking or replays. It was a wonderful mix of explore, upgrade, revisit with a twist and faster. Great for the dev/design teams and good experiences for the players too.

Had 343 chosen to do missions this way for the story "sake" as a statement and accomplishment for taking the ring back and killing off bosses etc I would understand that somewhat but it's not like in Destiny we haven't enjoyed the same strikes/bosses/lore/raids over and again.

h00ters

So an Apex buddy of ours who we play with regularly for over a year and has never played Halo was checking out Infinite's multiplayer with us again last night and has this comment -

We proceed to laugh/cry and explain coop ain't there at launch or for 6 months. You can imagine his reaction. What a missed opportunity to bring more players in and have them cross multi or campaign. This is the trouble with 343 on many game releases now, they have some great ideas but their execution sets them back during that launch/honeymoon phase. The old one step forward and two steps back or vice versa. Honestly I think this is hurting Halo more than we know in the sense of how widespread it could have been, beyond the good reception it has going.
Somewhat related/somewhat unrelated but I've found it really interesting to see my core group of gaming mates, who have always ribbed me for liking Halo and have always dismissed it as a crap franchise (instead favouring COD) have all of a sudden really gotten into Halo. When the game first launched they played a few rounds with me and weren't really enjoying it, then something clicked and it's all they want to play now.

Interestingly, they only want to play ranked. For them, AR & Pistol starts feel terrible. Not what I thought I'd hear from people new to the series.

Somewhat related/somewhat unrelated but I've found it really interesting to see my core group of gaming mates, who have always ribbed me for liking Halo and have always dismissed it as a crap franchise (instead favouring COD) have all of a sudden really gotten into Halo. When the game first launched they played a few rounds with me and weren't really enjoying it, then something clicked and it's all they want to play now.

Interestingly, they only want to play ranked. For them, AR & Pistol starts feel terrible. Not what I thought I'd hear from people new to the series.
The BR starts is welcomed because it's easier to understand "I missed" vs it was just random shite that I died to. Good to see more players wanting to play Halo. Now just get them to love flag games would ya?

I am in the same boat. I avoided ranked because I felt like I wasn't playing very well in BTB, but then when I finally jumped in I was thinking, "why didn't I do that sooner?!" The BR feels really good and I get annoyed at the random weapon spawn locations each match. I can never find a BR lol

Welp my Xbox one is out of order indefinitely. I might try and slog through Infinite on my laptop. No sign of a series x yet and I was really hoping to do all access through Microsoft.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Posted these thoughts in another thread but this is mine so far after 11 hours and change.

So 11 hours and some change later of playing and I'm at 50 percent complete. I thought I'd find the open world stuff annoying but actually enjoying it. Also I'm liking the story so far. Hunting for audio logs really adds to the story. There are some nightpicks I have though.
Feedback isn't completely clear. I've just died and no clue why. Had grenades near me and had no clue. Had my vehicle explode and didn't even know it was about to. Also still not a fan of the explosion effects in this game. Still those are about my biggest negatives so far.

Hot damn, just off my first 4.5 hours with the game and fuck yes this Halo baby! Well done 343, well fucking done.

I have gripes but forget all that the encounters are soooo good and dynamic. Fun, period. Totally engrossing.

I stayed up trying to get through the game in one night but didn't make it. Doing the campaign on my 2018 laptop and it seems to be holding up alright. Spent some more time earlier today but still not done. I really love the set pieces 343 has come up with. As everyone else has already mentioned the game is just fun to play. I love the open feel. This is classic halo to me.You could argue that there is a bit of repetitiveness to some of the encounters but I loved CE and have no issues with any of that, even though lot of people didn't like the repetitive levels in CE.

Campaign spoilers if you haven't gotten far. I'm not finished but close to the end.
The boss encounters have been a pleasure though I was getting pissed at that pair of brutes you have to take out later in the game. The one on the chopper and the other shooting nonstop cindershots. I was playing on heroic and have no idea what legendary will be like. For me since I was rushing through a lot of the game I didn't have a lot of valor points earned or else I would have called down a tank or wasp. The sandbox feel has been fantastic. Toward the end of the game the 2-3 encounters before getting to the Spartan killer were amazing. Brought back all kinds of Halo 1-3 feels. It was like a playground to run around shoot everything in sight. And that is where I had to stop cuz I'm working tonight. 343 did an amazing job with the atmosphere and gameplay for the encounters with the cloaked elites. The one where you go into a tower to save a spartan and then the Spartan killer part. I died once and had to save and quit. Will get through it tomorrow. Mainly I just want to finish the story without any spoilers. I'm so close!

My only frustration is when it comes to finding skulls. I've spent too long on multiple levels trying to find just one and haven't found any rofl. I refuse to get help online. But since I'm rushing through the game I've missed a lot of audio logs and what not. My plan is to replay on legendary and be more methodical.

Also who saw ground pound returning to the game? I kind of like how it's implemented.

To end my post I'll just say I really like the campaign. Dare I say I like it better than both 3 and 4 so far? CE is still tops. I think my ultimate opinion will hinge on the story. Better not be some lame ending. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
It's killing me that no one is really talking about the campaign, but I realize people need time to get through it. I'm scared to go into the campaign thread on gaming side. I don't want anything spoiled.

I'm at the very end of the game and likely one of the final encounters. I was so close to being done but had to leave to go to work tonight. After I finish I plan to replay the campaign on legendary. That is gonna be an absolute challenge based on my experience playing heroic. It's not the open world encounters that are hard, but the boss fights. I'm still not sure how I killed Jega 'Rdomnai. Literally no clue. He was kicking my butt repeatedly and then some fluke of explosions and melees and he went down. Maybe it was an assassination? The bosses have so much health plus their shields. Legendary is gonna be a nightmare!

Last edited:

Edit: So I didn't realize that you can see armor lockers and cores on the tac map after taking over fobs... Played through the entire game not knowing that. I also didn't know that you can zoom in on the tac map. Not much but some of the cores and lockers don't show up if you don't. Which is probably why I never realized that they show up on the map at all. Oof...

Last edited:

Havoc2049

It's killing me that no one is really talking about the campaign, but I realize people need time to get through it. I'm scared to go into the campaign thread on gaming side. I don't want anything spoiled.

I'm at the very end of the game and likely one of the final encounters. I was so close to being done but had to leave to go to work tonight. After I finish I plan to replay the campaign on legendary. That is gonna be an absolute challenge based on my experience playing heroic. It's not the open world encounters that are hard, but the boss fights. I'm still not sure how I killed Jega 'Rdomnai. Literally no clue. He was kicking my butt repeatedly and then some fluke of explosions and melees and he went down. Maybe it was an assassination? The bosses have so much health plus their shields. Legendary is gonna be a nightmare!
I changed course after I found out about the locker/quick resume bug, as I had opened a few lockers without reseting the game. Restarted and I'm going for a 100% collectables, assassination and rescue run on Heroic. Then I can just focus on the 8 hour speed run achievement, Legendary and LASO runs. I'm in the second area now, with FOBs Alpha to Echo. With all the wide open spaces, the BR and running around with a Warthog full of Marines, it makes the encounters fairly easy. With all the mountains, the game gives me a Halo meets Oblivion/Skyrim vibe, as you try to figure out how to get to the top of peaks and certain areas that can be seen in the distance.

Loving Infinite so far. I'll reserve final judgment until I finish the game. I'm not sure yet if Infinite is up there with the Bungie Halo games or up there with Halo 4, as a good but not great Halo game. It's definitely better than the average at best Halo 5.

Not sure who has listened to the UNSC and Spartan audio logs, but they are awesome. It sounds like a game I would love to play.

I changed course after I found out about the locker/quick resume bug, as I had opened a few lockers without reseting the game. Restarted and I'm going for a 100% collectables, assassination and rescue run on Heroic. Then I can just focus on the 8 hour speed run achievement, Legendary and LASO runs. I'm in the second area now, with FOBs Alpha to Echo. With all the wide open spaces, the BR and running around with a Warthog full of Marines, it makes the encounters fairly easy. With all the mountains, the game gives me a Halo meets Oblivion/Skyrim vibe, as you try to figure out how to get to the top of peaks and certain areas that can be seen in the distance.

Loving Infinite so far. I'll reserve final judgment until I finish the game. I'm not sure yet if Infinite is up there with the Bungie Halo games or up there with Halo 4, as a good but not great Halo game. It's definitely better than the average at best Halo 5.

Not sure who has listened to the UNSC and Spartan audio logs, but they are awesome. It sounds like a game I would love to play.
I won't say too much. As soon as everyone has gone through it at least once I'll share my thoughts. I will say that while I wish the armor lockers had actual armor upgrades, I'm happy that you can get some decent skins/coatings in the campaign. The base armor kit has grown on me.

I found my first skull this morning (blackout). This is after having beaten the whole game lol. Haven't looked at any guides even though it was tempting.

Thaedolus

Dude the hookshot/grapple beam/taser in this game is so good. Vaulting yourself straight up the side of a mountain you're maybe not supposed to get up, then having the drop on some enemy outpost is just the best thing.

Has anyone heard from Dr. Samuel Hayden Dr. Samuel Hayden ? I'm wondering if he went dark to finish the game. Would love to hear his thoughts on Infinite. In the gaming side campaign thread I shared some of my own thoughts. Though they are campaign spoiler heavy. As far as the story goes there are some things I just flat out did not like. But the endless are very intriguing and I still enjoyed the game thoroughly. Can't wait for the next dlc.

Last edited:

link1201

"I scanned my first artifact today rofl. I didn't even know that was a thing. Apparently I missed a lot on my first place through haha.

Is there a way to see them indicated on the map like Audio Logs?

I don't see them. Perhaps I am still too early in the game?

Last edited:
Is there a way to see them indicated on the map like Audio Logs?

I don't see them. Perhaps I am still too early in the game?
I don't think they show up on the tac map until after having been scanned, which is weird since skulls show up. Have to take over fobs and I believe the tac map will show the lockers, cores, and skulls in the vicinity. Audio logs and artifacts do not. Someone correct me if wrong lol.

Has anyone heard from Dr. Samuel Hayden Dr. Samuel Hayden ? I'm wondering if he went dark to finish the game. Would love to hear his thoughts on Infinite. In the gaming side campaign thread I shared some of my own thoughts. Though they are campaign spoiler heavy. As far as the story goes there are some things I just flat out did not like. But the endless are very intriguing and I still enjoyed the game thoroughly. Can't wait for the next dlc.
I'm doing what I said earlier and waiting until the game is more... finished, I guess, to play it. I've seen the important bits of the campaign on Youtube though.

Overall I'd say I like it, but I do have some issues. Maybe I'll go into detail later but most of them have already been stated by others.

Last edited:
Anyone watching Raleigh? Think this guy made it? LOL

What is the context of that video? Probably doesn't help that I just woke up lol. I saw flamesword officially announced his team status quo is back. I'll be following to see how far they get in Raleigh.
I'm doing what I said earlier and waiting until the game is more... finished, I guess, to play it. I've seen the important bits of the campaign on Youtube though.

Overall I'd say I like it, but I do have some issues. Maybe I'll go into detail later but most of them have already been stated by others.
No that's totally fair. I've seen a broad spectrum of both complaints and praise. I realized I hadn't seen you post in a while and hoped you were alright. Hopefully the fixes you want come sooner than later.

What is the context of that video? Probably doesn't help that I just woke up lol. I saw flamesword officially announced his team status quo is back. I'll be following to see how far they get in Raleigh.

No that's totally fair. I've seen a broad spectrum of both complaints and praise. I realized I hadn't seen you post in a while and hoped you were alright. Hopefully the fixes you want come sooner than later.
LOL, thanks for the concern but no, just been busy with some things.

As for campaign, it's interesting because Act Man seems like he may be hitting on the thoughts/issues I have, but of course it remains to be seen if they're the same ones. For a TLDR my problems are mostly the lack of environment diversity & setpieces, the Harbinger/Endless, and the way Cortana was handled.

First ranked game since the system put me at gold 3. Teammates go 6 and 18 and 12 and 18 in a 3v3 match...
LOL, thanks for the concern but no, just been busy with some things.

As for campaign, it's interesting because Act Man seems like he may be hitting on the thoughts/issues I have, but of course it remains to be seen if they're the same ones. For a TLDR my problems are mostly the lack of environment diversity & setpieces, the Harbinger/Endless, and the way Cortana was handled.

Glad to hear it. I'm not hot on the plot myself.

Loving ranked so far. Puts me in a match against a full team doing their placement matches together. Next game 3v4 ctf... Wtf
Yeah I got into Diamond stopped going ranked, plus mates don't really want to play ranked at all so I'm sort of just done really. The maps and modes aren't what I/we want to play, love the BR starts but just not for me. Especially with the fact I cannot select Australian only games. Having a 160+ms ping in a ranked match is a joke.

Last edited:
Yeah I got into Diamond stopped going ranked, plus mates don't really want to play ranked at all so I'm sort of just done really. The maps and modes aren't what I/we want to play, love the BR starts but just not for me. Especially with the fact I cannot select Australian only games. Having a 160+ms ping in a ranked match is a joke.
That's gotta be rough not being able to choose a closer server. But I'd take diamond in heart beat at this point lol.

So does anyone know what the point is of using the x2 XP boost? Since it counts down even when not in game sometimes you can only get literally 3 games in before 60 minutes are up. That's pretty shit imo.

EDIT: this game has issues... My double exp boost ran out but it wouldn't let me use the next one. Finished a match, missed out on doubling 500 xp only to see that now I can use my double exp boost. bull fucking shit

Last edited:

stickkidsam

That's gotta be rough not being able to choose a closer server. But I'd take diamond in heart beat at this point lol.

So does anyone know what the point is of using the x2 XP boost? Since it counts down even when not in game sometimes you can only get literally 3 games in before 60 minutes are up. That's pretty shit imo.

EDIT: this game has issues... My double exp boost ran out but it wouldn't let me use the next one. Finished a match, missed out on doubling 500 xp only to see that now I can use my double exp boost. bull fucking shit
I generally just use the Double Exp at the beginning of the new week. Ya also only want to use it once a day when your daily exp is at the max. Within a couple days I’ll generally jump up 5 or 6 levels that way at least.

I generally just use the Double Exp at the beginning of the new week. Ya also only want to use it once a day when your daily exp is at the max. Within a couple days I’ll generally jump up 5 or 6 levels that way at least.
It's pointless anyway. It feels like someone quits on my team every game.. No point in trying in ranked arena. Just a complete waste of time.

Edit: you can't make this shit up. I needed 4 more kills with the bulldog to complete a challenge. Get 6 and the game only gives me credit for 3. And in my post game stats I have a shotgun spree medal. x2 exp gone. wtf.................. How many ways can 343 shit on a player in addition to moneyhatting the shit out of their game? At the very least if you're going to charge money for stuff make sure it flipping works.

EDIT2: Went over to reddit to calm down. Had a good laugh. 343 deserves to get a ton of flak for a lot of this stuff. It's completely on them for choosing this route.

Last edited:
Top Bottom