• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

YukiOnna

Yeah the Cortana reveal was hilarious... she looks horrible. They need to Sonic that shit fast.

I don't like whatever approach they're taking for the Covenant with the human sympathizer. It's just completely off.

Yeah the Cortana reveal was hilarious... she looks horrible. They need to Sonic that shit fast.

I don't like whatever approach they're taking for the Covenant with the human sympathizer. It's just completely off.

I think it's to save on CGI work. Realistically they don't have the budget/time to deliver what would be needed for the villains to come to life over the whole first season. I don't really agree with it but hey I think that's why.

Havoc2049

Jury is still out for me. It looks promising, but Halo 5 had slick marketing as well and that was average at best.

The "find Halo" thing must be part of the retcon, unless Cortana didn't perform a blind jump when The Pillar of Autumn left Reach. <que ominous ONI music>

Ok here's my gut reactions, could be way off base or right on the money. Who knows.
  • Spartan Collins reporting for duty? Why the fuck is Phil Collins in Halo?!? Out of all the iconic music from all the games and OST they went with this as the first showing?
In The Air Tonight is all the rage these days with Gen Z corporate kook bands and their corporate boomer overlords. 😜

Last edited:
Jury is still out for me. It looks promising, but Halo 5 had slick marketing as well and that was average at best.

The "find Halo" thing must be part of the retcon, unless Cortana didn't perform a blind jump when The Pillar of Autumn left Reach. <que ominous ONI music>

In The Air Tonight is all the rage these days with Gen Z corporate kook bands and their corporate boomer overlords. 😜
I know why they didn't hire Marty. He'd of 86'd this idea out of mancannon.

Ok here's my gut reactions, could be way off base or right on the money. Who knows.
  • Spartan Collins reporting for duty? Why the fuck is Phil Collins in Halo?!? Out of all the iconic music from all the games and OST they went with this as the first showing?

Tecd3Es.png

• Happy to see Halo getting some screen time finally. Production quality looks like they got a lot out of what they had to work with and get through to this point.
  • Cortana. What did they do to Cortana? Fuck me. This had better be like an introduction skin and she changes form after first meeting Chief. Who thinks these changes up? Let alone approve them. Woke culture has stolen our purple and blue titties.
  • It looks like a very personable story e.g. Forward Unto Dawn. We're getting a drama show in a Halo universe? NoComedyAllowed.gif.
  • The flood seems to not phase the Covie raised human. Weird.
  • Good casting choices for Halsey and Hood.
  • Suits can look good but then at times they look like rubber then they look overly shiny. It's pretty hit and miss.
  • Lord of the Rings mountain castle crossed with Mandalorian desert setting doesn't really strike "Halo and SciFi" to me. I suppose this is the first conflicts where Innies and Chief run into Covies?
  • Downes not being Chief is a big one. We don't need all that humanising of Chief in his voice acting. Cortana of old said it best "Chief I need you", when I hear a not-Downes voice I'm just taken out of it.
  • CGI looks good, very well done for the budget.
  • Prophets should have been shown a little more but at least the main parts of the games are there.
  • Why doesn't this trailer have Chief coming out of cryo?
  • Why do they have to find Halo instead of crash land on it? CE was an icon and the reason Halo blew up, why mess with what worked? Big action, big mystery and it feels like this is traded for a show that can focus on some humans fighting in place of how we started out being the Chief in games.
  • Gun audio doesn't sound as good as the levels in games, might just be some trailer editing as it's background stuff.
  • First episodes aren't just about Chief. Seems like they're going way back to the first introduction of Chief. Wonder if he'll have no shields and no AI at first.
  • Elites towering over Chief is cool.
  • Jackals look on point.
  • High Charity looking huge and foreboding.
  • Purple blood on Chief's helmet. Hoorah.
  • Didn't see any Spartan training stuff, just a kid flashback for a second.
  • Didn't notice any blue team? Just "other Spartans".
Overall looks the part, for the most part, some questions around what their approach is, want to see more of the action/space battles/strategy stuff and curious if there is going to be a big flood reveal etc? It doesn't appear to have a rating as yet, wonder if they're going for a young or mature audience?
That wasn't the flood, they looked like Hunter Worms.

Last edited:
? Assuming you meant to quote someone else?

Anyway, Sony buying Bungie is just lol. This year has already been crazy as fuck so far.
I'm really interested in seeing what Bungie does next. Do they continue with Destiny while pumping out a new IP? It is humoring to me that they didn't like being under MS and wanted to be independent, and now they are going back to being under a different company in Sony.

Perhaps back in the day they felt trapped doing Halo forever, but now with Spencer in charge I feel like a lot of things would be different. Namely Bungie would have more freedom.

This is what MS needs to do next: buy Highwire Games.

The Office Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Not that anyone cares 🤣 but I had a really good game of attrition yesterday. Sometimes things are just clicking. I enjoy attrition more than fiesta. I kind of enjoy the shorter games and not dealing with the random weapon spawns. I refuse to use the hammer or the sword too. Cheapest weapons in the game imo. To continue beating a dead horse the AR is absolutely OP. I won't use it either. I find it sad that 2 of the easiest weapons to use in the game, the needler and AR, are also 2 of the more deadly. That doesn't even include the hammer or sword. Meanwhile, the commando has to be one or the hardest weapons to use in the game and it is outright trash and far too weak.

Infinite is the first game where it doesn't feel cheap to run around with the noob combo. Many of the weapons just don't stand a chance against others, especially with the sword and hammer, rockets and incinerator. So I use the noob combo with the BR or sidekick religiously. The plasma charge doesn't track nearly as efficiently as it did in previous games, so it kind of balances it out. Now the needler on the other hand... Holy balls. That thing tracks you no matter what you do, excluding thrusting to the side.

Usually try to have the mangler too when possible for melee kills. Cheap? Yes. Do I care anymore? Not with the sandbox in Infinite.

tWYWnoH.png

Last edited:
Just came to post that but was a little late. Yeah mega bummer. On a bright note the Tenrai event came back and I got the AR skin and pistol skin. Not sure if I can get enough challenges to make the BR skin. Might have to wait until the next event.

Last edited:
New Cannon Fodder. Some decent tidbits of information. A new book from Troy Denning. Rehash of Halo tv series. Concept Fodder -a new section in Cannon Fodder that displays concept art and talks about it. Random info on the different utility vehicles seen in the game. Lastly a community Q&A where only one or two questions are answered lol.

Last edited:

February 3 2022 Update
The following changes were made by the February 3 Update.

Multiplayer​

• Matchmaking service improvements for Big Team Battle (BTB). Players should find full matches quicker and more consistently.
  • Scorpion Tanks and Wraiths will appear more frequently on BTB maps.
  • Fireteam members in BTB matches will have the selected Fireteam Marker color, but may still start the match in different areas of the map.
  • Join in progress rules updated to avoid matchmaking into games which are nearly complete.
  • Changes to Oddball in both Ranked and Arena Multiplayer playlists:
    • If the score is tied when a round’s timer runs out, one minute is added back to the timer. If the score is tied at the end of the additional minute, then the round will be declared a tie.
    • The match will end if two separate rounds end in a tie and the victory will go to the team with more rounds won.
  • Halo Championship Series (HCS) variant of Free-For-All Slayer added to the Custom Game modes list.
  • In Custom Games, changes to Free-For-All Slayer, FFA Oddball, Neutral Flag and Tactical Slayer game options update correctly.

Download size​

• Update only (all platforms): approximately 1.1 GB or less.
Edit: I have been matched into Attrition games where I was a spectator because there were no lives left and the game ended not too long after joining. Good that they are trying to fix that lol.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I took a break from Infinite after suffering some Halo burnout - to go on a "finally finish Sekiro" run (which I succeeded completing after much suffering).

On my return to Halo - the Infinite gameplay holds up - just plays really fucking good. I got an Overkill right out of the gate. We just need more maps badly.
For those burning out - take a break for a bit and come back to see it in a new light.

I took a break from Infinite after suffering some Halo burnout - to go on a "finally finish Sekiro" run (which I succeeded completing after much suffering).

On my return to Halo - the Infinite gameplay holds up - just plays really fucking good. I got an Overkill right out of the gate. We just need more maps badly.
For those burning out - take a break for a bit and come back to see it in a new light.

I gave it a few weeks off and jumped on last night as some buddies wanted the armour from the challenges. So a fireteam of 3 playing fiesta for 1.5 hours. I've never wanted to quit Halo more. Fiesta is fine for a game or two, I exited the party chat and stopped playing once they'd done what they needed. Silly to tie challenges to types of play at all IMO. You're correct the core gameplay holds up. You're also correct maps are badly needed. I hope they push more into classic halo stuff over esports or chaos BTB maps though. I need that Halo 2/3 sweet spot of slayer and CTF/Bomb on good mid size maps with light vehicles.

*I'm trying not to whine here but the netcode is pretty awful with Infinite at the moment, just proven again last night with multiple things like sidekick still not nailing a kill headshot repeatedly when an enemy is no shields or grav hammers right in the face that don't kill only drop shields etc. or die behind a wall a couple of times per game. Just annoying things really we shouldn't have to put up with at all.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm just waiting for the roadmap to see when to return to the MP. I reaaally hope actual new content/map isn't being held back till Season 2 but it's looking like it.

Of course I enjoyed the campaign, but all my friends have equally decided to just wait out the MP to fix itself. The hotfixes are fine, but not enough. The netcode is also still a problem...

I was able to get through some more Tenrai challenges yesterday. I'm 2 short of the battle rifle skin. The last one I finished was to get a killjoy in fiesta. I feel like it is pretty difficult to get a killing spree in fiesta since everyone and anyone can spawn with a power weapon at any time. So there are less people on killing sprees which makes finding someone to end that spree even harder. Took several games but I finally landed one. On the Launch map I had the typical oh look "I have a sword and grapple shot" running around mindlessly and was able grenade the player and finish off with the sidekick before getting lunged at. If I can't get anymore Tenrai challenges I'm hoping that next Tuesday the event will continue long enough for the new challenges to arrive.

Just came up in my shorts feed. Are the spikers supposed to do that?

Are you referring to how quickly it blew up? I'm not entirely sure. Are spike grenades on a timer from the moment they are thrown? Or did the grenade blow up due to gunfire?

Last edited:

Balboa

My experience with Infinite is that you're either slaying out and thinking you're having a good game but not realising your opponents are dying behind cover, or it's you and your team dying behind cover and you're screaming at the screen.

Either way it's just a phony competitive game ATM

My experience with Infinite is that you're either slaying out and thinking you're having a good game but not realising your opponents are dying behind cover, or it's you and your team dying behind cover and you're screaming at the screen.

Either way it's just a phony competitive game ATM
I feel like that's a bit extreme, but the feelings are warranted.

One thing I've noticed is that this game does not reward careful or cautious game-play compared to previous entries. It's almost better to blindly sprint around the map. A big contributor to this is the pitiful radar (does not show players from very far away) combined with sprint and the grapple shot. Then there is the low skill/high reward of the assault rifle which can compete with BR at mid-range... Also, the lack of open spaces in most maps, and the UI's poor ability at showing where a player is getting shot from. I've never been shot at, from anywhere outside my frontal vision in the game, and felt like I knew where the shots were coming from. That leaves me to figure out what is going down in a fraction of a second. Throw in OP power weapons like the sword and hammer and it becomes a clown show.

I actually enjoy Fiesta, but when the other team is running around with 4 swords or hammers it turns into a drag. 343 might as well make a separate playlist called Swords & Hammers. Currently, Infinite favors close quarters combat with the dumbest weapons. The mangler as a 1 shot + melee kill is pretty bad too, but I find it less offensive than everything else I mentioned. I'll probably get some strong differing opinions with another opinion: I don't enjoy the incinerator. It's powerful at close range. It's powerful at long range. Worst of all it has way too much ammo for a power weapon.

Throw in all the above issues and combine them with the technical issues like desync and poor network and I question if all games are won by the better players. So much of it feels random.

Balboa

I feel like that's a bit extreme, but the feelings are warranted.

One thing I've noticed is that this game does not reward careful or cautious game-play compared to previous entries. It's almost better to blindly sprint around the map. A big contributor to this is the pitiful radar (does not show players from very far away) combined with sprint and the grapple shot. Then there is the low skill/high reward of the assault rifle which can compete with BR at mid-range... Also, the lack of open spaces in most maps, and the UI's poor ability at showing where a player is getting shot from. I've never been shot at, from anywhere outside my frontal vision in the game, and felt like I knew where the shots were coming from. That leaves me to figure out what is going down in a fraction of a second. Throw in OP power weapons like the sword and hammer and it becomes a clown show.

I actually enjoy Fiesta, but when the other team is running around with 4 swords or hammers it turns into a drag. 343 might as well make a separate playlist called Swords & Hammers. Currently, Infinite favors close quarters combat with the dumbest weapons. The mangler as a 1 shot + melee kill is pretty bad too, but I find it less offensive than everything else I mentioned. I'll probably get some strong differing opinions with another opinion: I don't enjoy the incinerator. It's powerful at close range. It's powerful at long range. Worst of all it has way too much ammo for a power weapon.

Throw in all the above issues and combine them with the technical issues like desync and poor network and I question if all games are won by the better players. So much of it feels random.
Exactly (y) Personally that just makes playing the game a complete waste of time until they do something about it

The issue is directly related to your hidden Match Making Rating (MMR), which is what Halo Infinite uses to attempt to match you with players of a similar skill level. In most games, your MMR in non-competitive modes and your MMR in ranked modes is kept separate. In Halo Infinite, though, your MMR is influenced by your performance in both Social and Ranked playlists.

Since Social performance affects Ranked matchmaking, players can abuse this by intentionally playing poorly in Social modes. This causes an artificial loss of MMR, which then causes the Ranked matchmaker to erroneously place them against players that are less skilled. They can then beat these players easily, gaining large amounts of Competitive Skill Rank (CSR) points. Once their MMR goes back up, they can simply go back into Social and "sandbag" more matches to lower it again.

Conversely, this issue also ruins the Ranked experience for players that like to warm up by playing Social modes. If an average player goes into Big Team Battle for a few matches and performs well before entering Ranked matchmaking, they'll be matched against very skilled players. This effect even occurs with matches against AI bots — in fact, someone was matched with Onyx players in Ranked after only playing against bots.

This is a massive issue, and hopefully 343 Industries addresses it soon. In the meantime, though, avoid playing Social matches if you want your Ranked matchmaking experience to be as balanced as possible.

I think it was like this in Halo 5 too or is this something else?

Unrelated, I got enough challenges completed to get the spartan stance with the rocket launcher, just one short of the BR skin. Ran out of Tenrai challenges unfortunately. However, it looks like the weekly challenges reward is the exact same skin? So I'm on the last challenge which is to get 3 killjoys in fiesta... I hate that so much. So annoying. Can they not come up with better challenges? At the very least I guess it doesn't really affect the flow of the game.

Last edited:
Another thing - I remember when there was a weapon specifically useful for countering the sword and hammer. It was called a shotgun. Now it's gone. Not a single one shot weapon outside of power weapons that can stand up against an idiot charging with the sword or hammer.

Edit: jokes on me. I got my 3 killjoys today only to realize the weapon skin is for the AR. So I still have to try and do the Tenrai challenges again if it comes back, to get the same skin for the BR.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Halo Infinite is like a majestic dragon that you get to ride whenever you want but almost every time you're doing your best Atreyu impression the whiff of something fouler than a gym girl's farts wafts down your mouth. Not only that but the dragon keeps pretending to hit turbulence like an asshole pilot. Occasionally some asshole bird tries to knock ya off too but the dragon doesn't seem to give a shit. It seems to care more about selling you its hats made of the wool from all the sheep it eats.

I mean it's still a fucking dragon that you can ride anytime and it promises to take a bath eventually but damn it really kills the magic.

I give up. I can't get into any games now. My profile never loads. I did the BTB update a few days ago and didn't have any issues. Over the weekend though the game quit on me. I can get into the main menu and of course the news feed loads. Drawing a blank on what it could be.

Last edited:
I give up. I can't get into any games now. My profile never loads. I did the BTB update a few days ago and didn't have any issues. Over the weekend though the game quit on me. I can get into the main menu and of course the news feed loads. Drawing a blank on what it could be.

Try giving Xbox support a call maybe? Usually a shit show but sometimes they have a magic answer. HaloWaypoint forum post? Clear Xbox cache? Hard restart, game quit to clear quick resume? Shake your fist at the xClouds.

Try giving Xbox support a call maybe? Usually a shit show but sometimes they have a magic answer. HaloWaypoint forum post? Clear Xbox cache? Hard restart, game quit to clear quick resume? Shake your fist at the xClouds.
Clear the cache on the Xbox?
I have been playing Infinite on my laptop for several months now. I don't have access to my console at the moment. I might try giving Xbox support a call. Not even the store loads. It just says, "clearing the landing zone." Basically I don't think it's actually trying to load even though the loading screen would suggest otherwise. Makes me really want to upgrade to a series x but that isn't a financially responsible decision rofl.

EDIT: I'm gonna go with the old tried and true method of uninstalling and reinstalling... I hate trying to install anything. I never know if my computer is doing anything. I click install and Halo Infinite pops up in the side bar at zero percent. Yet it shows no progression in actually downloading anything. Ugh there it finally goes...

Last edited:
I have been playing Infinite on my laptop for several months now. I don't have access to my console at the moment. I might try giving Xbox support a call. Not even the store loads. It just says, "clearing the landing zone." Basically I don't think it's actually trying to load even though the loading screen would suggest otherwise. Makes me really want to upgrade to a series x but that isn't a financially responsible decision rofl.

EDIT: I'm gonna go with the old tried and true method of uninstalling and reinstalling... I hate trying to install anything. I never know if my computer is doing anything. I click install and Halo Infinite pops up in the side bar at zero percent. Yet it shows no progression in actually downloading anything. Ugh there it finally goes...
Microsoft Store, or Steam?

Did you buy single player? If not, download on Steam and wire your connection and see if that helps. Could be a classic Microsoft Store blunder.

Last edited:
Microsoft Store, or Steam?

Did you buy single player? If not, download on Steam and wire your connection and see if that helps. Could be a classic Microsoft Store blunder.
I did not buy the campaign, but used game pass to play it on my laptop. I'm downloading to steam right now and will see what that does.

EDIT: ResilientBanana ResilientBanana mad props to you. Switching to steam worked. I had to redownload the game even though I had just done that yesterday, but once I got it all setup I was good to go. Thanks.

EDIT2: Hit Diamond today yay! Now they can do a reset and I won't care. Cuz I know when I do my placement matches it's going to put me somewhere in gold per usual.

Last edited:
I did not buy the campaign, but used game pass to play it on my laptop. I'm downloading to steam right now and will see what that does.

EDIT: ResilientBanana ResilientBanana mad props to you. Switching to steam worked. I had to redownload the game even though I had just done that yesterday, but once I got it all setup I was good to go. Thanks.

EDIT2: Hit Diamond today yay! Now they can do a reset and I won't care. Cuz I know when I do my placement matches it's going to put me somewhere in gold per usual.
Happy to have helped! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom