• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So nades that register 30%, shots not registering, melees not hitting are fine for, say, someone from the Netherlands is fine? Shits getting tired luv

I haven't had so much frustration since halo2 online.

Took a hiatus and well. Shit hasn't changed. Fuck EU I guess.

Last edited:
149265e96b91158c3b688c58b6cbdabb.jpg

tenor.gif

Also buddies were downloading the Apex season update so I jumped on to MCC for some solo games. What a shit show, here's the 7 games in a row I tried -
  • US host, AFK teammate.
  • US host, Quitter first 2mins then whole team quit.
  • US host, Quitter first 1min then lose 3 v 4.
  • US host, team betrayer on enemy team, booted after 3mins, crap 4v3 game.
  • US host, enemy team had player with 2k and 14d, crap game.
  • US host, both teams had 1 Quitter each, same Quitter from above game.
  • US host, deranker on purpose our team, same as Quitter from above and above, stayed the whole game for 0k 19d
No wonder games like Apex hit 400,000 concurrent players while Infinite/MCC dwindle magnitudes less even when combined. 343 you're plain wrong about how you choose to implement matchmaking systems from many aspects; such as networking, player choice or game experience quality.

Okay what is EU in reference to? All that goes through my head is Europe lol.

Edit: oh you are referencing Europe. My bad. I can only imagine what you are going through when many times even the local servers don't feel great. Ozzy has to put up with distant servers all the time.

Last edited:
Okay what is EU in reference to? All that goes through my head is Europe lol.

Edit: oh you are referencing Europe. My bad. I can only imagine what you are going through when many times even the local servers don't feel great. Ozzy has to put up with distant servers all the time.

I thought it as Extended Universe, then I flipped to Europe as well.

As for servers yeah I've had my fill of USA hosted games all the way through Halo 3 ranked to get 50s, H4, H5, MCC and Infinite. When I look at the lack of outside USA support and Halo it really highlights what the studio is about. Piss poor by comparison to other games. I don't care if it's executive decision, game popularity or networking/matchmaking systems the end result is the same. Halo games have shit support for Australian game quality.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I thought it as Extended Universe, then I flipped to Europe as well.

As for servers yeah I've had my fill of USA hosted games all the way through Halo 3 ranked to get 50s, H4, H5, MCC and Infinite. When I look at the lack of outside USA support and Halo it really highlights what the studio is about. Piss poor by comparison to other games. I don't care if it's executive decision, game popularity or networking/matchmaking systems the end result is the same. Halo games have shit support for Australian game quality.

To be fair, my experience with MCC and Infinte regarding Host/Server privileges favoring anyone but me has been better overall since Halo 2. But those instances are somewhat rare. Perhaps it's mostly due to the desyncing issue.

Scenario: Numerous times I encounter someone without full shields, give damage that would've killed them if they were on full shields and lose. It's just disheartening and demotivating to carry on knowing there's such a huge disadvantage in sincere competition.

If you have a partner, charge it up and shoot the floor near your enemies. You can mop'em up quick or barricade the area you're in.
I never think to charge it up. Probably my absolute least favorite weapon to spawn with in fiesta. I can make do with the plasma pistol no problem, especially if paired with a precision weapon or AR. Similarly I can at least get by with the pulse carbine if I have a halfway decent secondary weapon. It's when I get the carbine and the ravager as a pair. Ugh... I even like the disruptor better. The disruptor takes a stupid number of shots but I can down people with it.

Last edited:

Good summary of the update lol

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm sure I'm not alone in playing better when having a buzz on, right? Alchohol is like PED's regarding Halo MP. Anxiety, constantly second guessing multiple aspects of my moment to moment plays, insecurity... Fascinating really. I'm guessing coke would be even better

So i saw this in shorts:

and my mind immediately went to: how else can i get up there?

I thought about the grapple or just jumping off a teammates hea- oh wait. We need collision back.

Naked Lunch

HCS is on now and thru the weekend with weapon skin drops and a decent pose.

Twitch chat is just the worst shit on the planet. Actually posted: "This on controller? Controller gameplay is so slow and boring to watch."
Meanwhile Halo has been a console game since 2001.

I would like to see a mode with the red Stalker Rifle as the starting weapon in place of BR starts. The aiming reticule makes it a bit challenging to use but that 3 shot kill hits so hard. Would be fun to try.

Naked Lunch

I know its been the main issue with GAF overseas peoples - but in my time playing this game since launch in the US ive seen lag maybe like twice. But now the game is unplayable for me - its like im a second behind in every match - even picking up weapons is delayed.

I guess they changed some connection settings in an update just the other day - and this fucked my game. Anyone else seeing this?

Then at least they could give us body options that look more feminine and not buff dude and slightly less buff dude.
These are supposed to be jacked super human soldiers. Go play some JRPG if you want a sexy slender frame. They’re wearing a literal ton of fucking armor built to help them survive enemies 2-4 times their size.

Last edited:
These are supposed to be jacked super human soldiers. Go play some JRPG if you want a sexy slender frame. They’re wearing a literal ton of fucking armor built to help them survive enemies 2-4 times their size.
More feminine body types were in Reach, 4 and even 5, and it was perfectly fine in those games. Didn't seem to hinder Noble Six when she was singlehandedly mowing down hordes of Covenant.

I don't even care about it that much (Infinite has way bigger problems right now) but there's really no good reason it couldn't have also been here.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just now I died to 2 audible mangler hits connecting, it's quite noticable when wearing headphones. Wierd. But when I look to the left i see I died by way of Assualt Rifle which I've never heard. Instant quit.

Always having to go the extra mile when not knowing what exactly counts as EXTRA is quite frustrating

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Good summary of the update lol

Yeah subscribed. Annoying voice but a good grasp and funny way of portraying what's up. TLDR nothing sandwich

Last edited:
Eh having female Spartan armor is fine, but I wouldn't want 343 to go overboard with over-sexualizing the kits. It wouldnt really be true to Spartan character. Spartans were never concerned about their looks. That's a luxury for another time when alien forces aren't trying to destroy the universe.

I'd argue that in Reach and in Halo 4/5 the armors for Kat, Linda and Kelly were done quite well.

Last edited:
Eh having female Spartan armor is fine, but I wouldn't want 343 to go overboard with over-sexualizing the kits. It wouldnt really be true to Spartan character. Spartans were never concerned about their looks. That's a luxury for another time when alien forces aren't trying to destroy the universe.

I'd argue that in Reach and in Halo 4/5 the armors for Kat, Linda and Kelly were done quite well.
Pretty much. Obviously them running around in bikinis or something would be stupid, but the Reach/4/5 models were fine.

Resetera is that way.

Fuck Outta Here No Way GIF by Desus & Mero

I didn't realize Halo: Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 were all JRPGs.

Lore accurate, fuckers.
You can also make you spartan more slender and have a female voice in infinite.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Lore accurate, fuckers.
DO NOT RECITE THE DEEP MAGIC TO ME BITCH!

I accept SPARTAN-458 AND Kat as the super soldiers they are! It is you who has forgotten the breadth of bodies the SPARTANs hold.

Here is a lot of words and math to effectively just say - Infinite's server selection, only under developer control, is performing badly and results in shit games with weird outcomes of movement, shots registered, melees and grenades. Well everything gets fucked with shitty player's connections mixed with good ones and we match players from the other side of the world to our most populated USA centric game. We never should have launched with developer forced server selections and we still have our heads up our asses not giving full control to players for what servers to play on. We're tweaking to force better server selections/connections but this will never end and we're too stubborn to give control to the players.

Halowaypoint in depth article on networking, desync, shots rego'd, melees etc.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned

Lore accurate, fuckers.
You can also make you spartan more slender and have a female voice in infinite.

All I want is a slightly altered slim body option for some actual female curves. The armors stay the same and with some of the female poses already in the game I would be happy.

So they scheduled this event's HCS grand finals during the super bowl. Yet another 343 fuck up. I tuned in and it was over. heh.
Is it shameful that I've been watching the twitch stream to get new weapon skins haha? Even though it's over there are several streams that still host the weapon drops. Scheduling it during the super bowl was a terrible decision though.

EDIT: it's pretty bullshit that I started watching the stream over 4 hours ago but for some reason I haven't unlocked everything. I don't really understand it. Says I'm 20% of the way to getting the last unlock. Uhh no.. I've wasted enough time watching this shit. So dumb.

Edit2: even better... They cut off the drops and I had 3 minutes to go... Supposed to go through the 13th but I guess that is only pacific time. I'm further west than that so it's not even midnight yet. GG... What a dumpster fire waste of time that was. I should have gone to sleep 2 hours ago.

Last edited:
Rank reset incoming next week along with some fixes to the CSR system. Sounds like I need to try and rank up a bunch before the reset as I'll probably never get as high again. "Most players will place a tier lower than before." Hahaha so I'm going to be in silver 😂 sounds great.

"We've been studying player ranks and ranked matchmaking all-up extremely closely since launch and we are excited to be rolling out updates next week. These updates should help address common issues in ranked such as rank inflation, inaccurate skill assessment, uneven player skills, and more.

First and foremost, our skill rating system has been analyzing real matches since launch and we're ready to deploy some of the learnings from this live data. These learnings will help the system become even better at assessing a player's skill and should place them more accurately in our skill distributions.

This will be the first backend skill update like this since launch, and we plan to do them continuously throughout the life of the game. Just like we've been doing, we will keep monitoring matches and rolling out updates frequently to make sure the system can stay up to date with the latest player behaviors – thus continuing to accurately assess player skill.

CSR UPDATES & RANK RESET

In combination with this skill rating improvement, we will be resetting Competitive Skill Ranking (CSR) ranks so that everyone can get an updated CSR that is more indicative of their skill.

Since we saw that the CSR system was being overly generous since launch, these changes are being rolled out to help bring things closer in line to where they should be. This period led to a full tier inflation of ranks and, as a result, most players should expect to be placed a full tier lower (Diamond players will find themselves in Platinum, Platinum players will find themselves in Gold, etc.) after this rank reset.

When we perform this rank reset, we will also be changing a few aspects of the CSR system:

As mentioned above, since the system was placing players too high, every player will likely find themselves one tier lower after this update. Please keep in mind that this is not due to an error in the new system, but an error in the old one.

Typically, after you complete your placement matches, your CSR is a little lower than where the system thinks you'll end up after playing for a while. This happened in Halo 5 as well because it helps start each rank reset (typically during a Season rollover) off fresh and provides players room to progress their CSR rank. Since ranks are being reset in the middle of the season, this will be reduced to help make sure you have a shorter climb after your placement matches.

At launch, Diamond 1 was the highest CSR players could land at after completing their 10 placement matches. Much like above, since we’re resetting ranks in the middle of the season, we want to reduce the disruption it may cause by raising this to Diamond 5. This will not affect most players, but it will mean Onyx players will spend less time in Diamond since the system already knows that they are likely an Onyx player.
We are aiming to have all the updates and rank reset happen on the afternoon of Tuesday, February 22.

We believe that these targeted changes will help improve the ranked experience for players of all skills by providing more accurate, balanced, and fair matches. That said, this isn’t the end of our updates to ranked, it's only the beginning. There is still more to go after, and we’ll continue to make updates based on your feedback and live game data. If you encounter anything out of the norm in your ranked experience after this update, please let us know by continuing to provide feedback here on Waypoint, Twitter, reddit, etc.

And, in case you missed it, CTF on Behemoth was recently removed from the Ranked playlists. You can read up on the decision here on Waypoint.

We hope you get to jump in and enjoy these updates to Ranked when it rolls out next week!"

Last edited:
I got a triple kill with the skewer last night that was pretty awesome. I don't know how to save game clips on my laptop though, so I don't have it to share.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Rank reset incoming next week along with some fixes to the CSR system. Sounds like I need to try and rank up a bunch before the reset as I'll probably never get as high again. "Most players will place a tier lower than before." Hahaha so I'm going to be in silver 😂 sounds great.

I'm happy for it. Haven't played Ranked in some time because I keep quitting because of bullshit matches so I've been banned for a long time now lol :/ That said I'm currently (edit) Platinum 6 and got there in a couple of weekends mostly playing drunk so yeah I don't think it works well currently.

The changes they made last week regarding how they trie to prioritize ping etc has worked pretty good in my experience. One match had me landing BR shots close to cross map on Launch Site (remove it for 4vs4 pls) so i was like wtf awesome. It's soooo good on a good connection. I watch a lot of pros on YouTube and they mostly have a good connection.

That Sean W guy makes great recaps of what's going on, good channel.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Is it shameful that I've been watching the twitch stream to get new weapon skins haha? Even though it's over there are several streams that still host the weapon drops. Scheduling it during the super bowl was a terrible decision though.

EDIT: it's pretty bullshit that I started watching the stream over 4 hours ago but for some reason I haven't unlocked everything. I don't really understand it. Says I'm 20% of the way to getting the last unlock. Uhh no.. I've wasted enough time watching this shit. So dumb.

Edit2: even better... They cut off the drops and I had 3 minutes to go... Supposed to go through the 13th but I guess that is only pacific time. I'm further west than that so it's not even midnight yet. GG... What a dumpster fire waste of time that was. I should have gone to sleep 2 hours ago.

Got all 3 weapon skins and those chalices <3

I'm happy for it. Haven't played Ranked in some time because I keep quitting because of bullshit matches so I've been banned for a long time now lol :/ That said I'm currently (edit) Platinum 6 and got there in a couple of weekends mostly playing drunk so yeah I don't think it works well currently.

The changes they made last week regarding how they trie to prioritize ping etc has worked pretty good in my experience. One match had me landing BR shots close to cross map on Launch Site (remove it for 4vs4 pls) so i was like wtf awesome. It's soooo good on a good connection. I watch a lot of pros on YouTube and they mostly have a good connection.

That Sean W guy makes great recaps of what's going on, good channel.
I played a bunch of ranked games today. Usually, I stick to fiesta and whatever playlist challenges require. Some frustrating games but overall a lot better than I expected. I went from barely above Diamond 1, where I hadn't played a single game since reaching Diamond, to ranking up to Diamond 3 in one afternoon. This week's ultimate challenge reward is not that intriguing but I still like a weapon emblem better than a background.

Got all 3 weapon skins and those chalices <3
I'm one short of the BR skin. So whenever the Tenrai event comes back again, if it comes back, I'll get it with the very first completed challenge. The Tenrai weapon skins are some of the best in the game imo. The yellow bulldog skin is pretty slick too.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I played a bunch of ranked games today. Usually, I stick to fiesta and whatever playlist challenges require. Some frustrating games but overall a lot better than I expected. I went from barely above Diamond 1, where I hadn't played a single game since reaching Diamond, to ranking up to Diamond 3 in one afternoon. This week's ultimate challenge reward is not that intriguing but I still like a weapon emblem better than a background.

I'm one short of the BR skin. So whenever the Tenrai event comes back again, if it comes back, I'll get it with the very first completed challenge. The Tenrai weapon skins are some of the best in the game imo. The yellow bulldog skin is pretty slick too.

I mostly play quick match. Fiesta is cool but I can only take so many Hammer 'N Sword guys running around the map.

Been playing alot today and it's really obvious when you're on US host or whatever. Had some awesome matches tho! Trying to work on my moment to moment choices regarding timing of engagement and map position. Noticing that been patient really helps my game.

My favorite map is Recharge, how about you Deputy Moonman Deputy Moonman ?

Credit to this game for keeping me hooked while being so bare bones content wise and lacking in regards to progression, challenges, unlockables, the shop, etc

Happy that Elden Ring is soon upon us to fill that gap

Last edited:
I mostly play quick match. Fiesta is cool but I can only take so many Hammer 'N Sword guys running around the map.

Been playing alot today and it's really obvious when you're on US host or whatever. Had some awesome matches tho! Trying to work on my moment to moment choices regarding timing of engagement and map position. Noticing that been patient really helps my game.

My favorite map is Recharge, how about you Deputy Moonman Deputy Moonman ?

Credit to this game for keeping me hooked while being so bare bones content wise and lacking in regards to progression, challenges, unlockables, the shop, etc

Happy that Elden Ring is soon upon us to fill that gap
Yo it makes me happy to hear I'm not alone in disliking a lot of the fiesta games. When it turns into everyone running around with a hammer and sword plus the grapple hook I can barely move without getting blasted. Then throw in the incinerator... I give rockets a free pass as they run out really fast and it's a classic halo power weapon.

Recharge is definitely one of the best maps but I like Live Fire and Streets quite a bit too. Really my least favorite map is Bazaar. Terrible map flow and the design encourages camping more than anything.

I wish they would do away with radar altogether or increase its range. With sprint and the small radar radius it's next to pointless. By the time I see someone on radar it is usually too late to do anything.

I'd also like to see the AR nerfed while the sidekick and commando bumped in strength slightly. For the sidekick they don't even have to increase its strength, just add a little more ammo. Infinite rewards easy to use weapons over skill weapons more often than not and that's pretty annoying. The needler is stupid easy to kill people with and Id like to see its ammo nerfed.

(Edit: when it's a one on one and I'm using the sidekick and someone else is using the AR, I have to work my butt off to land all my shots while the person using the AR is reading a book while holding down the trigger.... And the sidekick runs out of ammo instantly while AR is still just pelting shots. That's pretty sucky imo and not a good balance, even if the sidekick is supposed to be secondary.)

Yeah the content in Infinite is super bare bones, and the customization is still a joke. There should be many color options for each weapon and skins should be universal across all weapons or armor kits. But Infinite is still fun to play, so I'll give it that. I really enjoyed Attrition to be honest. Wish 343 would make it a permanent addition instead of a rotation playlist.

Last edited:
I changed my mind about the ranking system. It's trash. I played a bunch of games tonight, won most, haven't progressed past diamond 3 and I started close to a quarter of the way in diamond 3. Argue all you want about, "well you didn't play good players or high enough rank or you didn't play well enough," but in the end that's bullshit. That's on 343 to make the system match up players properly. And if I win a bunch of games in a row I expect to be rewarded regardless. Otherwise what the hell am I playing for? And it doesn't go both ways. Cuz if I lose I'm sure as hell dropping rank a bunch. It's a team game therefore it should reward the winning team. Period. I say that also because it gives the top players on the winning team more xp even if the stats were hardly different or you were playing utility. But Infinite doesn't do that. It's a poor way to keep people playing. Fuck that. After this reset I'm likely done with ranked games, maybe the game completely. I'm tired of the bullshit.

EDIT: yep i'm done. amazing to see hours of work not result in anything only to lose all of the progress in a few games.

EDIT2: not 2 but 3 quitters on my team in a strongholds game and it still gouged the shit out of my progress. Like wtf?

Edit3: So, last night I was trying to stay up all night to prepare for 2 weeks of mid-shifts. The first few hours went well while playing ranked games and it should have been enough to go to Diamond 4, but as the night went on my play deteriorated significantly as my sleepiness and overall frustration with the game increased. But man I was pissed 😂

Last edited:
I finished the Tenrai event and got my BR skin this morning. The new ultimate challenge rewards is an armor coating but for the life of me I cant figure out which kit it belongs to. I went to each armor kit and toggled through all the coating choices and whispered rose does not show up for any of them. Every Tuesday I make a judgement call on whether the reward is even worth grinding through the challenges. But this time I can't make a decision without know which kit it belongs. Most likely it is the base kit but who knows.

I've watched a lot of recent YouTube videos criticizing Halo Infinite in its current state. While all the criticism is completely valid I also saw a lot of poor examples used for comparison. One person talked about how Infinite might be surpassed in active players by the Master Chief Collection. Do people remember how long it took for TMCC to get where it is today? I've also seen several people reference Fortnite. Fortnite went through a long development cycle undergoing many different changes. It also doesn't really have a campaign or many of the features of Halo. It copied PUBG's BR mode and that's when it went from okay fun game to crazy phenomenon success story.

I recognize that the game is a mess right now. I just hope 343 turns things around sooner than later. These would be my top 3 priorities for Infinite right now. The game is in desperate need of new maps, even if the network issues didn't exist. Network fixes are a given. I sure would like to see a 1-50 rank system return. I know it won't happen as 343 likes their Onyx bracket to show where the pro level players are at.

1. More maps.
2. Fix network issues.
3. Revamp progression and rank system.

Lower on the totem pole:
4. Exponentially increase the customization options.
5. Make colors and skins one unlock for all armors/weapons and stop the nickel and dime, here is a color skin for one weapon, but you'll have to pay money or wait months before the same color is available on another weapon, crap.

Top Bottom