• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Naked Lunch

Hey 22•22 22•22
I finally got my sens and deadzones sorted thanks to some of your suggestions.
Starting at 0, testing, and moving up did the trick.
My deadzones were set way too high - I think that was the culprit. I now have them at like 1.5 or something.

The one setting I still dont understand what its doing is called "Deadzone Threshold". I just have it set the same as the deadzone values.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey 22•22 22•22
I finally got my sens and deadzones sorted thanks to some of your suggestions.
Starting at 0, testing, and moving up did the trick.
My deadzones were set way too high - I think that was the culprit. I now have them at like 1.5 or something.

The one setting I still dont understand what its doing is called "Deadzone Threshold". I just have it set the same as the deadzone values.

Great to hear i could be of some help i guess!

Dead zone threshold is what you have your deadzone uses when your input should start registering. I think? Again put it all on zero and see how it feels. Going by your post it shouldn't have much impact. The less deadzone the better. Just causes input delay when you have decent stick drift

! may be wrong

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Holy shit is was wrong

ytYGLPv.jpg
BARhNV3.jpg

Dope

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Did it use to be the case when stuck with a plasma nade and you hugged the thrower you got a trade?

Was it ever normal to get 1 or 2 shot BR

I really like how the game feels but

Last edited:
Did it use to be the case when stuck with a plasma nade and you hugged the thrower you got a trade?

Was it ever normal to get 1 or 2 shot BR

I really like how the game feels but

Yes you go white on rice when stuck by an enemy. Take that fucker down with you.

The quicker BR kills are generally crappy networking/server side decisions and what you see on your screen isn't what happened in the server side authoritative version of the game e.g. enemy saw you 0.25 seconds before you and actually shot you more times than you realise. There are some rapid fire cheat devices and PC hacks out there but not as common as bad networking.

Infinite seems to be a bigger culprit of netcode issues than previous entries and the regional support is less in terms of population than say MCC in my experience.

EDIT: I'm also hoping we see the Certain Affinity Infinite mini Battle Royale mode in tomorrow's Xbox second showcase. If it's coming out this year it should really be on show by now. It's pretty damning on 343 when a showcase from the 12th was to highlight what is playable in the next 12 months and Halo had nothing to show.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im finally reading my copy of Halo Evolutions I had for years. The first story with the deformed Spartan Soren-066 was really quite something. As was the Spartan III Headhunters story.

I wasnt aware they animated some of this stuff till now. This is old - but good stuff if anyone hasnt seen it.

EDIT: I'm also hoping we see the Certain Affinity Infinite mini Battle Royale mode in tomorrow's Xbox second showcase. If it's coming out this year it should really be on show by now. It's pretty damning on 343 when a showcase from the 12th was to highlight what is playable in the next 12 months and Halo had nothing to show.
I doubt we'll see anything tomorrow but id like to be wrong.
To be fair in the xbox show's big 'coming in 12 months' graphic - Halo Infinite Season 3 was listed there - they just didnt mention anything in the show unfortunately.

There is a quality of life Infinite update "drop pod" coming this week.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ozzy Onya A2Z Ozzy Onya A2Z

Yes thats classic Halo lol.

I meant to say that didn't work

Got a message saying I should delete my game.

I know it shouldn't bother me but oh man

I replied with

I don't speak Spanish

From anchorman bar scene

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Do other of you have issues once in a while with the outlines. Sometimes it takes me to long to figure out and yeah ☠

And the amount of times I get killed by friendly nades is bonkers

Ps you're right Ozzy regarding the servers 😭

Still pretty addicting atm

Last edited:

Aggrotek

The general Halo community is so toxic these days. Has it always been this much hatred towards the Devs? I love playing the game and recognize there are issues but damn...

Naked Lunch

The general Halo community is so toxic these days. Has it always been this much hatred towards the Devs? I love playing the game and recognize there are issues but damn...
The sad thing is - you can say that about any game's community.
Social media gives everyone a voice and many of those voices are fucking retarded.
Infinite has alot of problems no doubt - but I remember the same kind of vitriol towards even Halo 2 and 3 from the "fans".
Even pretty much 'perfect' games like Counter Strike had its legions of internet hate over the years.

For Infinite - I like the way it plays over Halo 4 and Halo 5. 343 took a decade to get the gameplay feeling correct. Halo 4's multiplayer in contrast was really really bad - they came a long way from that.

Last edited:

When you destroy something and have released 2 games in 10+ years that will take away fans good will. MCC was one of the most broken games I have ever seen. It went beyond 343 even, the xbox platform was broken for party chat, the matchmaking systems borked, the netcode failed, game crashed, UI bugged, players dropped out, games and xboxes had to be restarted for it to only happen again and again and again. I know, we tried to play it for years. I tried engaging for years with the forum support, twitter, was even a moderator at Halo Waypoint, gave them every opportunity as well as repeatedly organised Aussie parties to trial the latest patches in the hope we'd get some stable Halo.

I don't attack a specific person but the development company is hands down one of the worst quality assurance game releasing studios in the history of Xbox. This isn't toxic, nor is it personal, it is cold hard fact. MCC deserved ET levels of being buried in the desert. It has since been resurrected only for Infinite to walk an all too similar path after having 6 years of development behind closed doors. The company and management deserve to be called out when you know what Halo is capable of vs what we received for MCC and Infinite. Would you like to talk about the TV show coming from over a decade of movies teasing and mini-shows and how that was handled by 343 for the resulting show actually produced and released recently?

Tell me you're happy with Halo in its current state across the board e.g. games, show, books, merch etc? Now stop kidding yourself and admit it is in the shitter. There far are more foul balls than home runs.

Last edited:

Aggrotek

Regardless of how bad the game is there is absolutely no reason to be toxic. I have been providing constructive criticism. The core gameplay of Infinite is great I think the game will fill out in the coming months but I think the community has been so outright hateful its ridiculous.

Regardless of how bad the game is there is absolutely no reason to be toxic. I have been providing constructive criticism. The core gameplay of Infinite is great I think the game will fill out in the coming months but I think the community has been so outright hateful its ridiculous.
tenor.gif

Jokes aside, hey more power to you if you enjoy a game. I cannot in good conscience play Infinite in its current form, neither do my Halo friends. Hardcore Halo friends with 10,000s of games played together. Here's hoping the new BR mode is something special. However not seeing anything Halo Infinite in the last 2 Xbox showcases this week just reinforces how far behind 343 are, again.

I really should keep being positive when 343 take away Australian only server selections /s -

Last edited:

Aggrotek

I have been playing Halo since 2001 and I play this game as much as I have time to. I grinded to Onyx both splits and I still have fun playing ranked. I can both recognize that this game is imperfect while simultaneously having fun with it. All I see on Twitter and Reddit is people absolutely shitting on the Devs with vitriolic unconstructive words. I will continue to enjoy this game while pushing for it to get better.

If the issues in this game get fixed this Halo could be one of the best there has been.

I have been playing Halo since 2001 and I play this game as much as I have time to. I grinded to Onyx both splits and I still have fun playing ranked. I can both recognize that this game is imperfect while simultaneously having fun with it. All I see on Twitter and Reddit is people absolutely shitting on the Devs with vitriolic unconstructive words. I will continue to enjoy this game while pushing for it to get better.

If the issues in this game get fixed this Halo could be one of the best there has been.

I somewhat agree with the last statement. Sure I too say that about every Halo game that has come out. In reality I've seen 343 go through 4, 5, MCC and now Infinite. How long does it take a studio to hit its best stride and not always be playing catch up? Why are they always learning and having to iterate Halo rather than hit the nail on the head. By comparison Respawn has dropped Apex Legends and Fallen Order in under 5 years. Do you honestly put 343's releases (just Infinite in that period) and sustain in the same class as Respawn? I certainly do not.

It's because the studio management make poor decisions and really don't know where to take Halo. I've said it before Halo 5 and Infinite have gutted the most popular modes of Halo of all time. Classic 4v4 slayer and objective with/out light vehicles. It's esports arena or BTB and has been for 2 games now. Right there that speaks volumes. I haven't even entered in the campaign quality drop off. Compare what 343 have done in 10 years vs say what Bungie/Destiny have done in 10 years. You're happy with what Infinite put out or has on the roadmap for a 7+ years game by end of year? Come on man.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I feel they're more toxic. Also has to do with it's context. Less content. Online bullshit. Micro transactions. The challenges..No Coop

There's just a lot to piss on. Rightfully so. And combine that with social media and it's users....

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Onyx holy shit. With teammates and comms?

And yeah dont use twitter.

My main issue is getting double teamed. Mostly not even coordinated. Hate that shit

Radar radius could be slightly larger. I look around lot while keeping eye on radar. 0.5 seconds later there a dude behind me wtf man

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
tenor.gif

Jokes aside, hey more power to you if you enjoy a game. I cannot in good conscience play Infinite in its current form, neither do my Halo friends. Hardcore Halo friends with 10,000s of games played together. Here's hoping the new BR mode is something special. However not seeing anything Halo Infinite in the last 2 Xbox showcases this week just reinforces how far behind 343 are, again.

I really should keep being positive when 343 take away Australian only server selections /s -

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

Aggrotek

Onyx holy shit. With teammates and comms?

And yeah dont use twitter.

My main issue is getting double teamed. Mostly not even coordinated. Hate that shit

Radar radius could be slightly larger. I look around lot while keeping eye on radar. 0.5 seconds later there a dude behind me wtf man

I play with 1 other guy. 1st split I made it to Onyx in both Solo/Duo and Open queue, this time just Open. Haven't really played much solo queue because my friend is Gold and we keep getting rolled or getting trash teammates.

If you are playing solo I would really recommend picking a teammate and shadowing them the whole game. Try to teamshot as much as possible. 1v1s are tough if your accuracy isn't averaging around 50% or higher.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Sound advice. My accuracy is decent 40+ but yeah lone Wolf doenst cut it. Especially with my server disadvantage

Thanks

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I have the upmost respect for someone winning an 16 man Oddball game. You have to hold it for 100 seconds I believe while there are 16 dudes coming at ya from all angles. Especially with those bad spawns. Respect lol.

I had a challenge to just finish a rumble pit game so I was just killing everything in sight lol

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
22•22 22•22 do you play Ranked at all? My roommate and I need 2 more to fill for Open queue when we play.

You're on a US server? I'm EU based and best at scanning and slaying. Also maybe not that consistent in precense and not that savvy in calling out areas or specific locations (Dutch)

Last edited:

Aggrotek

You're on a US server? I'm EU based and best at scanning and slaying. Also maybe not that consistent in precense and not that savvy in calling out areas or specific locations (Dutch)
Yea we play on East Coast, but with the new changes may make it so we can't play depending on your rank.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yea we play on East Coast, but with the new changes may make it so we can't play depending on your rank.

Yeah not the best circumstances. No biggie.
Happy Halo'ing! Btw I'll say it again; the pistol ,(fuck sidearm) is such a beast... Love it

Banjo64

cumsessed
Halo Reach/ODST Firefight vs Halo 5 Warzone Firefight

I enjoyed Halo 5 Firefight a lot but guessing it’s dead compared to MCC?

I only have space for one of these mammoth games on my SSD.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A lot of 50/50 good/bad connections last night. They overuse CTF on that new map in Ranked though. Still nice.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

He's dutch so I called him pik (dick)

Day later hey was like yo what did I say must've deleted it

So I told him he acted like a frustrated prick.

He was like sorry man sometimes i get frustrated etc. I told him same here no worries.

So now we're friends (that's a lie)

With that said funny how such stuff can go lol

Also, the logic. Without comms I've hould've smelled him watching my back?

FFS 🤪

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Im not usually the biggest Sniper fan but Shotty Snipes on the new Forerunner map is a blast.
Also the variant Brute Snipes with Skewer and Maulers only on the desert map is crazy unique fun.

BTB CTF when people are actually trying to play offense is a good time too. On the forest map after trying over and over to get the flag from the basement base we finally got it out of there after multiple waves of warthogs. Dont sleep on the Razorback - it seems to have alot more health than the warthogs. Not many people are using the mechanic - but you can attach the flag to Razorback so if the carrier passenger dies - you can still drive the flag home.

Theres nothing like - stealing the flag, getting shot at by the entire enemy team, and getting picked up by a friendly warthog for an escape - in all of videogames.
Capture the Flag goes to the roots of online gaming with Quake 2 and Team Fortress. And years later - Halo, adding simple transport vehicles to that CTF mix will just never get old. Its timeless.

Last edited:
BTB CTF when people are actually trying to play offense is a good time too.

giphy.gif

Not many people are using the mechanic - but you can attach the flag to Razorback so if the carrier passenger dies - you can still drive the flag home.

It's an awesome addition to the vehicles/OBJ in general.

Theres nothing like - stealing the flag, getting shot at by the entire enemy team, and getting picked up by a friendly warthog for an escape - in all of videogames.
Capture the Flag goes to the roots of online gaming with Quake 2 and Team Fortress. And years later - Halo, adding simple transport vehicles to that CTF mix will just never get old. Its timeless.

Halo objective (classic flag and bomb, one or two or neutral variants) is simultaneously king of competitive fun and shenanigans. I have never understood the love of slayer all the time. Why esports doesn't feature more flag or bomb over hill/control/ball gametypes has always perplexed me as well. Going one further Halo could have separated itself from the usual esports pack and embraced its vehicular and crazy sandbox for the main stage. Why Halo esports cannot have BTB or warthogs is dumb. It's also hurting its audience and wider casual appeal in terms of attracting players to the game. Is it so hard to have different events at the same esports tournaments or online?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Guys (and Girls), I feel like the time has come to use comms.

Even a simple "behind you", "drop the flag for a moment you're being followed" will work wonders (will it?)

Next step will be enemy(s) position or seeing where they're most likely heading call outs. But that will benefit greatly from knowing the "name" of a lot of locations.

Maybe choose a maximum of 3 maps to learn bit by bit..

I don't know... thinking out loud atm. Got frustrated last night because we're already at a level where when completely random trying (to get a flag for instance) just doesn't work against a team that does work together (even on low level)

I hate talking or hearing people talk shit etc but fuck

Last edited:
Yes, get chatting mate. Don't worry about some negative feedback or awkwardness, you won't click with everyone. If you can team up with others that team chat you'll far and away do better in game. Make friends with those in your region and like minded play times or modes of play.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes, get chatting mate. Don't worry about some negative feedback or awkwardness, you won't click with everyone. If you can team up with others that team chat you'll far and away do better in game. Make friends with those in your region and like minded play times or modes of play.

Well said. And yes I know this. I'm just a very private person and keep a THICC wall around me. Should be wise enough this doesnt have to apply to Halo. Thanks for your words man... <3

Naked Lunch

Halo objective (classic flag and bomb, one or two or neutral variants) is simultaneously king of competitive fun and shenanigans. I have never understood the love of slayer all the time. Why esports doesn't feature more flag or bomb over hill/control/ball gametypes has always perplexed me as well. Going one further Halo could have separated itself from the usual esports pack and embraced its vehicular and crazy sandbox for the main stage. Why Halo esports cannot have BTB or warthogs is dumb. It's also hurting its audience and wider casual appeal in terms of attracting players to the game. Is it so hard to have different events at the same esports tournaments or online?
While I dont follow the esports scene outside of watching a Halo grand final here and there - it does seem strange after all these years there is no BTB side of it. Theres so many laugh out loud crazy CTF/assault bomb memories I have over the years in Halo. Thats where the real fun of Halo mp is to me. My crew always started in team slayer to 'warm up' - but it all led to BTB for the rest of the night.

I do remember they did some kind of celebrity BTB Infinite stream during one of the recent grand finals and it was actually kind of fun to watch.

I don't know... thinking out loud atm. Got frustrated last night because we're already at a level where when completely random trying (to get a flag for instance) just doesn't work against a team that does work together (even on low level)

I hate talking or hearing people talk shit etc but fuck
Give it a go man its just a vidjya game. Sounds like you play ranked all the time so comms are pretty vital there. Chances are youll find some buds - not everyone is an asswipe.

Im lucky cause my Halo crew I knew since grade school. We arent leet pros or anything, far from it. Weve picked up strangers along the way cause people see we have fun playing the game and not take it too serious but are still trying to win at the same time.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah that sounds perfect man

Like i play serious but not try hard losing isn't an option. And I don't want to get pisses on if my cigarettes breaks takes to long

And yeah I tend to forgot there are friendly folks as well....

I mean I played 2 and 3 with real life friends and it ads so more fun fucking around or trying..Seeing or doing sick stuff together

Last edited:
While I dont follow the esports scene outside of watching a Halo grand final here and there - it does seem strange after all these years there is no BTB side of it. Theres so many laugh out loud crazy CTF/assault bomb memories I have over the years in Halo. Thats where the real fun of Halo mp is to me. My crew always started in team slayer to 'warm up' - but it all led to BTB for the rest of the night.

I do remember they did some kind of celebrity BTB Infinite stream during one of the recent grand finals and it was actually kind of fun to watch.

There used to be clan BTB and clan ranked BTB in Halo 2. It was insanely fun, huge maps with 2 flag and 2 bomb all day. Shit was wild, you had to be in a clan to even play those playlists. Then there was a pretty big BTB scene with Halo 3 that really tried to keep online events going but unfortunately died off with dwindling viewers and participating people/teams. It bothers me I cannot remember the old website/organisers of those BTB streams/events. When the developer doesn't support esports like the full game of course those segmented modes are going to die. I still shake my head at 343 pushing esports at such a derivative style of Halo play MLG/HCS etc. It has never been as popular as "Default" or event other modes such as BTB. Grifball/Infection even pushed more numbers than MLG back in the day.

Who honestly remembers most games by...we out played lockout no radar with a team of 4. No you remember the insanity of a play or a crazy sandbox moment or your teammate driving a full warthog off a cliff for a laugh just as you're about to win a tied 2v2 game steaming your stolen flag back to base on Standoff. If 343 could capture that sort of "classic" Halo in there matchmaking, sandbox and esports they'd be garnering new players, have higher retention and be front and centre in streaming content etc.

Top Bottom