• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So last Saturday me and my dad went to like a Home depot or whatever you guys call it in the states to look for something to put on my 8bitdo Xbox back buttons.

They're pretty on the same level as the handles and I would prefer them a bit touch higher for easier access. Especially the left one.

Well. After some searching and "creative" thinking we thought about (direct translation from Dutch) door stoppers;

IuC7hDX.jpg

(4 of each for almost 5€)

They are big enough to make a template out of and the perfect height. There's a pull off sticker below so all in all more or less perfect.

So now I have to make a template and make them in the shape of the backbuttons.

Still mulling over with one I will use. The one with the knobs or the smoother one

I have a bottle of sticker residue remover so I guess I can try both...

Anyways

The End

Took some tries..

Ccroj8G.jpg

Feels great I guess. Now to put it to the test hehe

Last edited:
A couple of buddies and I thought we'd give Infinite a little run last night and found some Aussie matches in a row, kudos on that small ray of light shining on our Halo time. There are some really weird choices I'm pretty tired of seeing these sorts of 343 developer decisions made in the sandbox -

Skip to 1min I go for the flag on a solo run. I avoid the camper by using the map design and clamber mechanic to go right for the flag, take said flag and go on a radar peek a boo against the same camper and outsmart him while also becoming aware of a spawning enemy out back, then make my moves to get him close where I want him to attack me so I can flag melee. I forgot it's not OHK with the flag/bomb/ball, what a shit change. I also then forget it's switch weapon button not a drop button like it used to be so I die here. It highlights poor decisions in the sandbox and controls by comparison to the older games. Why even change these mechanics? Because they want forced team work for everything. No more solo empowerment from the old school Halo objective days.

Skip to 2.30mins and I go on a solo counter attack run, my teammates have been playing Halo with me for ages and we've comm'd they're on defense while I go steal the flag again. I think, hey I've got grapple, bugger going up to the flag spawn, imma grab this bitch and run...Nope. Maybe my aim was off, nope. Move close and watch the grapple be returned to me without the flag and cancel its animation over and over. It's just poor design decisions IMO. It's forcing you right to the point of the flag steal, it's breaking the behaviour of the grapple anything, it's stupid lore wise a grapple can zoom a 2 ton Spartan but can't grapple a flag.

These "sum of its parts" are what remind me why I dislike Infinite in so many small ways. I didn't even start on the enemy team barely going for the flag and just trying to farm sniper kills. I didn't even start on the flag carrier having to walk to avoid being highlighted even if unseen etc.

Skip to 2.45mins and this quick scope on the surprise camo enemy right on me was so satisfying.

And this is where our real troubles are in the current state of Infinite due to lack of local population. We played the same team 3 times, good matching as we had 3 Aussie hosted games, good stuff. The problem is we beat them 3 times, they stopped playing and went offline then we had no one to search against. Literally we tried searching BTB, quick match and other playlists. We literally stopped getting games. Irrespective of the developer forcing us to have multiple regions selected we just did not match after 2-3 mins search various playlists.

Infinite's launch and lack of player region choice, content and various other parts surmise to killing its own potential. Hopefully big drops like Forge or Battle Royale modes etc can return population outside of the USA but it needs to be something sustained and player/party choice over server selections needs to accompany it. All these little decisions, changes and areas lacking in needs to get on point and come together so the sum of Infinite's parts is greater overall. I fear they are too far behind and unwilling on many of their decisions to reverse them or stop overdesigning for the sake of change.

Skip to 2.10mins - had a nice little kill their sniper and go on my own sniper run during the opening hill, not bad for someone that hasn't played Infinite in months. Felt good, felt like Halo.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A couple of buddies and I thought we'd give Infinite a little run last night and found some Aussie matches in a row, kudos on that small ray of light shining on our Halo time. There are some really weird choices I'm pretty tired of seeing these sorts of 343 developer decisions made in the sandbox -

Skip to 1min I go for the flag on a solo run. I avoid the camper by using the map design and clamber mechanic to go right for the flag, take said flag and go on a radar peek a boo against the same camper and outsmart him while also becoming aware of a spawning enemy out back, then make my moves to get him close where I want him to attack me so I can flag melee. I forgot it's not OHK with the flag/bomb/ball, what a shit change. I also then forget it's switch weapon button not a drop button like it used to be so I die here. It highlights poor decisions in the sandbox and controls by comparison to the older games. Why even change these mechanics? Because they want forced team work for everything. No more solo empowerment from the old school Halo objective days.

Skip to 2.30mins and I go on a solo counter attack run, my teammates have been playing Halo with me for ages and we've comm'd they're on defense while I go steal the flag again. I think, hey I've got grapple, bugger going up to the flag spawn, imma grab this bitch and run...Nope. Maybe my aim was off, nope. Move close and watch the grapple be returned to me without the flag and cancel its animation over and over. It's just poor design decisions IMO. It's forcing you right to the point of the flag steal, it's breaking the behaviour of the grapple anything, it's stupid lore wise a grapple can zoom a 2 ton Spartan but can't grapple a flag.

These "sum of its parts" are what remind me why I dislike Infinite in so many small ways. I didn't even start on the enemy team barely going for the flag and just trying to farm sniper kills. I didn't even start on the flag carrier having to walk to avoid being highlighted even if unseen etc.

Skip to 2.45mins and this quick scope on the surprise camo enemy right on me was so satisfying.

And this is where our real troubles are in the current state of Infinite due to lack of local population. We played the same team 3 times, good matching as we had 3 Aussie hosted games, good stuff. The problem is we beat them 3 times, they stopped playing and went offline then we had no one to search against. Literally we tried searching BTB, quick match and other playlists. We literally stopped getting games. Irrespective of the developer forcing us to have multiple regions selected we just did not match after 2-3 mins search various playlists.

Infinite's launch and lack of player region choice, content and various other parts surmise to killing its own potential. Hopefully big drops like Forge or Battle Royale modes etc can return population outside of the USA but it needs to be something sustained and player/party choice over server selections needs to accompany it. All these little decisions, changes and areas lacking in needs to get on point and come together so the sum of Infinite's parts is greater overall. I fear they are too far behind and unwilling on many of their decisions to reverse them or stop overdesigning for the sake of change.

Skip to 2.10mins - had a nice little kill their sniper and go on my own sniper run during the opening hill, not bad for someone that hasn't played Infinite in months. Felt good, felt like Halo.

Capture the flag with comms on. And please ignore the thumbnail.

So you dont play Infinite. Don't moan about stuff like "they mixed up buttons" and "I'm not familiar with grapple distance" that's normal.. But I've seen videos of the grapple hook being not well.. optimized. Not grabbing flags and such

Sucks so much about the region stuff man....=/

Sorry I woke up grouchy

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Man this "new" FFA playlist doesn't resonate with me at all. I'm a pretty aggressive player. If I watch the top 5 duke it out they're all hiding and camping. Soooo boring.

But I really want that blue white armor skin.. Sigh

Buttons I agree mate, on me but I do have to ask why change what worked just fine before? E.g. drop button not switch weapons.

As for the flag grapple, it is not the distance, it is just not allowed to steal the flag from its spawn point via grapple. After it is taken and dropped it is a different story but right off the flag base location is a no no.

We were even talking about a drive by and passenger grapple to flag to drive home, would have been awesome and not easy to pull off either; not allowed though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You can have a dedicated drop button. It's pretty OP when you're used to it (Lucid mentioned it)

I guess for balance reasons? As the grapple spawn would be more of a crucial point of interest in CTF matches which would fuck up the flow perhaps? Just spitballing.

You can grapple equipment and weapons but you already know that.

Did you watch the CTF vid? Very high level against a very high level team. It's awesome. Takes 4 min

Edit sorry for the moaning remark mate

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Got my Blue & White armor coating! Now for the Red & Black BR and some stupid blue fog around my arms.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
In think i hot cheated last night...

Game: regular Slayer
Map: Aquarius
Type: CTF

I needed some sidear... pistol kills for a challenge and I love using it but I digress

So within couple minutes it's already 3-0 for. I was slaying left and right and captured 2 flags.

There was one guy on the other team that was playing decent but suddenly he went from 12 kills to 24 (we had face to face battles he just super fast perfected me) to eventually 33 kills. He was killing all my teammates all the sudden so yeah I got overwhelmed but still ended up getting the last capture and went 15-7.

I have a suspicious that when he saw his team got pooped on he turned on some auto aim feature.. should've saved the replay but who care. The theater is buggy as hell anyways.

I mean I'm not mad. I'm just shaking my head. I played well and had fun more or less.

Last edited:

Himuro

Hey fellas. Just got into Halo games and been playing through them for the first time. I've completed CE and 2. 3 next. I've been playing CE on heroic and absolutely adore it. I've also tried Legendary. It's really hard but rewarding. I've been wanting to get into multiplayer. I played CE and 2 on physical discs via Xbox 360 but I also have MCC on Steam. I'd love to learn how to play Halo MP with you guys and gals. I'm really bad. It has been an adjustment going from 360 pad to kbm and for some reason I cannot use my 360 pad in multi because of some key binding issue.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Rofl that first no scope was dirty. Thanks for posting. I want more people to post random clips in this thread. Seeing player highlights is one of my favs.

Sick play Ozzy. So weird though, the sounds, movement... Compares to Infinite that feels like Quake sometimes.

Hey Moonman. I'll have a look how long i can clip videos. Going to play later this week.

Ozzy, how do you upload like yours? It's very clean and easy clickable.

Sick play Ozzy. So weird though, the sounds, movement... Compares to Infinite that feels like Quake sometimes.

Hey Moonman. I'll have a look how long i can clip videos. Going to play later this week.

Ozzy, how do you upload like yours? It's very clean and easy clickable.
Cheers. I use GamerDVR.com, just visit there and use your gamertag. Holds around 200 captures and you can also embed the media here on GAF too.

I see..sure enough it found my gamertag. How does it work, simply said? I mean. Do I have to activate something so it starts recording and press stop?
If on Xbox then hit guide button then screenshot (press Y) or video (press X) to record and it will upload to xbox automatically. GamerDVR picks it up from there

If you look in your settings you can set the capture resolution and clip length. So I set my 1080p and 3mins, when I hit guide and X I get a clip of the last 3mins of play.

PC xbox is much the same. Just check the buttons and settings etc.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Xbox here. Yeah so you just (in my case) have to be lucky to make an awesome play.

Wait? Can't I just hold the capture button for video instead of pulling up the guide? That's seems perfect.

Will try it out

In any case. Thank you for explaining Ozzy!

Last edited:
Xbox here. Yeah so you just (in my case) have to be lucky to make an awesome play.

Wait? Can't I just hold the capture button for video instead of pulling up the guide? That's seems perfect.

Will try it out

In any case. Thank you for explaining Ozzy!
It's super quick, you'll find tap guide, tap X and it's automatically back to playing quickly. Just ensure you change to 3mins record time so you can relax about big plays.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's super quick, you'll find tap guide, tap X and it's automatically back to playing quickly. Just ensure you change to 3mins record time so you can relax about big plays.

Bro! In the video and time settings menu there's a button map tab. Now I can tap the capture screen button once to start recording and again to stop!

Only need to figure out how to inbed. I tried but I'm something stupid. I'll get there.

It's true it takes a while. Like 5 minutes to appear right? Ia that your experience as well?

Ok..how do I get it embedded? I only get the html stuff I'm a noob with this stuff

Last edited:
Bro! In the video and time settings menu there's a button map tab. Now I can tap the capture screen button once to start recording and again to stop!

Only need to figure out how to inbed. I tried but I'm something stupid. I'll get there.

It's true it takes a while. Like 5 minutes to appear right? Ia that your experience as well?

Ok..how do I get it embedded? I only get the html stuff I'm a noob with this stuff
I'm not 100% certain as I haven't used gamerdvr, but I think you just take the URL of whatever clip you're viewing and upload the link by clicking the media icon in a post.

EDIT: Test here. Just went to my own GamerDVD profile and yep, just paste the URL of the video using the media icon:

Edit2: rofl all this time I had been uploading clips to YouTube just to be able to share the clips here. I had no idea there were sites that would provide a link to share directly from my Xbox profile. So much easier...

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not 100% certain as I haven't used gamerdvr, but I think you just take the URL of whatever clip you're viewing and upload the link by clicking the media icon in a post.

EDIT: Test here. Just went to my own GamerDVD profile and yep, just paste the URL of the video using the media icon:

Edit2: rofl all this time I had been uploading clips to YouTube just to be able to share the clips here. I had no idea there were sites that would provide a link to share directly from my Xbox profile. So much easier...

Hey Moonman, thanks for your response. Forgot to respond...

My issue is I can't get it embedded as your example.

There's an embed html code below your video but that's where I strand. Do I just get the video's url and add it at the end of the mentioned code or in between? I got so frustrated last time you have no idea haha! Because I reckon it's super simple.

WTF? So you only have to copy and paste the url?

It has major buffer issues. Perhaps due to my capture settings on my Xbox? Must be?

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I found out I can listen to Spotify while playing! But I turned it off. Need the soundscape of the game. Still a cool feature if I was drunk.

Last edited:
Some recent news dropped by 343

I really enjoy Sean's down to earth approach to covering Halo news. He understands not everyone is playing Infinite anymore. He knows that new additions aren't necessarily going to bring Halo players back or return Halo to its initial glory days. Anyway, short, but good stuff here.

August Drop Pod:
  • All visors becoming cross core
  • some helmet attachments will become cross core
  • ranked doubles is on the way
  • region select incoming
  • challenges will appear in pause menu

Jebron

Just played a few games of Infinite after not playing for 6 months. The game has somehow gotten worse... how is that even possible?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Just played a few games of Infinite after not playing for 6 months. The game has somehow gotten worse... how is that even possible?
Gotten worse how?
The only thing thats changed it all the normal people stopped playing - so if you jump online now - you will be matched against sweaty Halo leet skillz pro gamerz. If you aren't playing perfect - you are getting butt raped. The fun is gone - for now at least.

Jebron

Gotten worse how?
The only thing thats changed it all the normal people stopped playing - so if you jump online now - you will be matched against sweaty Halo leet skillz pro gamerz. If you aren't playing perfect - you are getting butt raped. The fun is gone - for now at least.
The game is still completely bare bones, no progression system to speak of and absolutely embarrassing events. Microtransactions and cosmetics are still some of the worst I've ever seen. So the game has improved basically nothing since launch.

It's gotten worse because matchmaking and connections are absolute garbage, probably because of how few people are still playing.

The cherry on top is that we're almost 9 months post-launch and I still can't play the campaign with a friend.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The game is still completely bare bones, no progression system to speak of and absolutely embarrassing events. Microtransactions and cosmetics are still some of the worst I've ever seen. So the game has improved basically nothing since launch.

It's gotten worse because matchmaking and connections are absolute garbage, probably because of how few people are still playing.

The cherry on top is that we're almost 9 months post-launch and I still can't play the campaign with a friend.

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

Yes we know. It'll come. Play or don't . The horse is all but smelly pulp now from all the beating

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Play ranked if you suck. You'll get matched with noobs in that case. I recommend Crossplay.

Or landgrab

Naked Lunch

Play ranked if you suck. You'll get matched with noobs in that case. I recommend Crossplay.

Or landgrab
Actually Big Team Battle seems to work for more casual games as well - at least sometimes.
Im not a fan of ranked because I dont like BRs only 24/7 in this particular Halo - and I like having radar.
Ill give land grab a shot.

Im not shying from competition or anything - and when I can manage to play well in a team slayer in current Infinite, it does feel rewarding.
Its just every single match being forced to play at a super high level is draining - and not always fun.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I love BR starts. And loath BTB. All the walking and vehicles. I want pure gunplay (with objectives is fun)

I do agree that sweatyness is high and indeed draining. Coupled with living in Holland (connection wise) it's also frustrating knowing your shots landed or a trade wasn't honoust.

Oh well. Landgrab is cool. Stay back and slay or go for the sections or both.

Himuro

Beat Halo 3. Fantastic game, though 2 has a better story.

Started ODST and it's refreshing and just fucking amazing. Has among the best gunfights and encounters in the franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom