• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Naked Lunch

I booted up Infinite for the first time in months. Disgusting there have been only been 2 new maps in a full year. Pure insanity.

There are a ton of playlists now.
Big Team Battle and Big Team Social. Social Slayer - Team Slayer - Tactical Slayer, different double options, Fiesta, Land Grab, - and lots more which I cant remember.
Its so bloated - but every playlist I tried, I got into a match in seconds. So someone is still playing the game somehow.

No clue how people arent sick of the anemic map selection - but it seems it does have the players to support all these playlists. Crazy.

I'd still rather see very few playlists e.g. only 4-8 total and toggler filters within dynamic matchmaking e.g. maps, modes, region, party matching etc.

Forget SBMM and go back to a more random matching approach. It gives rise to so many benefits over SBMM e.g. less cheating, grieving, boosting, teaming, smurf accounts and more player/party choice over what they want to play.

It's interesting to reflect on BR games, when you breakdown their "one or two big maps", by way of sections being smaller map designs and play spaces. BR games transition from indoor to outdoor or organic hills to indoor walls very well and in many ways they have various sizes of maps/spaces to design and iterate as well. A BR game like Apex Legends and one map would have dozens or "Halo" sized maps within. If you get what I mean. When you compare events, content, maps changes/sections and all that you still keep asking yourself what has 343 down with all that time? In terms of campaign and multiplayer both are lacking substantially for diversity, quality and quantity at this point.

I really hope I love the new BR mode, hopefully they're really out of the corpo world and back to key personnel making maps with a far more streamlined dev pipeline and sustain schedule.

bootaski

Anyone else having trouble connecting on steam? Game launches, but once in, the menus just hang.

Last edited:

Anyone else having trouble connecting on steam? Game launches, but once in, the menus just hang.
I can't help you there as I haven't played in a while. Still having issues?

I know Infinite is not in the best position right now with all its issues, delays and missing pieces, but it's nice to see some positive feedback from the public for a change. I've watched a couple different videos from streamers and all of them are actually excited for the Nov 8th update. I'll link Mint Blitz's video, but I've seen several others all in agreement with the same consensus feelings.

Last edited:
Posting my thoughts from a different thread here so as not to derail that thread from its original topic.

Regarding Halo Infinite being a financial disappointment:

Original segment with Sams:
"Halo Infinite is not in good shape. It's not in a good position. It has not lived up to the goals that Microsoft initially outset for 343 when launching. It's also not living up to the financial side either from what I have heard. Like it's, just, almost universally is not meeting expectations. It has been a slow slog of poor announcements and releases and, despite that fact that we all agree that the gun game still feels like classic Halo, like everything else is sort of missing the mark. And, so that fruit came to bear today, or rather this week as Bonnie Ross is leaving the company immediately. Now I have heard from multiple people that this was Microsoft restructuring management. She wrote up that it was for family health reasons and, honestly, I hope that it's not because nobody wants family health reasons. But either way that is the story and Bonnie saying she is stepping down, but I have heard from multiple people that this is a management reshuffle after effectively what they announced for season 3. Like this is most recent release of information is the final straw that that broke the camel's back. Now I'm hearing about some of the leadership changes and also fair credit to windows central they had heard very similar things..."

Again, now I realize Sams is an MS Insider, but it seems like most of his conclusions and the things that he has heard from others, remains speculation, largely driven by the management reshuffle. Halo Infinite released to universal praise. There is no reason to believe that it would not have done well financially initially, which is also when a large chunk of the profits would have been made. Plus, we know there are still people playing Infinite and also paying for cosmetics in the online shop. One guy, an insider sure, makes a generalized statement and I just find it hard to agree with its entirety. Of course, since hating on Infinite is the popular thing to do these days, everyone has taken his information as immediately gospel and infallible, which I don't even Sams would claim. Has Infinite been a huge disappointment? Yes, but that disappointment didn't happen until after a largely positive release, when the expected content down the road was either delayed longer or cancelled entirely. And it was actually confirmed after this video released that Bonnie Ross really did leave due to family issues. She hasn't been let go from MS and is likely going to head another project. Infinite is a huge disappointment. The public outcry alone would be enough for MS to make changes at 343. I just don't believe the current changes are based on financials. Concerns for financials moving forward is a different story and one that makes more sense to me logically.

bootaski

I know Infinite is not in the best position right now with all its issues, delays and missing pieces, but it's nice to see some positive feedback from the public for a change. I've watched a couple different videos from streamers and all of them are actually excited for the Nov 8th update. I'll link Mint Blitz's video, but I've seen several others all in agreement with the same consensus feelings.

I'm looking forward to trying forge for the first time.

I'm looking forward to trying forge for the first time.
Yes. I haven't played in a while but I can't wait to see what people create. The success of forge in Infinite kind of hinges on how 343 deals with created content though. They need to be quick to test and add really good map creations to playlists and also have a good custom browser to go with it. Otherwise, a lot of the cool things people do with forge will go largely unnoticed. I don't necessarily expect it to bring a lot of people back to Infinite but it will be a huge boon for the players still enjoying the game.

MadPanda

Banned
I got hooked on halo infinite ranked arena playlist. This is the first time ever I play halo mp more than a few games. There are many flaws, but I enjoy playing it so much that I don't mind these flaws.

I got hooked on halo infinite ranked arena playlist. This is the first time ever I play halo mp more than a few games. There are many flaws, but I enjoy playing it so much that I don't mind these flaws.
I think the game is a lot of fun but 343 has done an abysmal job of adding new maps and variety. I know they're struggling with a whole bunch of issues on the campaign side of thing and with additional content, but adding new dev made maps should have been the first priority. The easiest strategy to retain player engagement is simply to add new and awesome maps. Catatlyst and Breaker (BTB) are the only maps that have been added to the playlists and that's just pathetic. We're getting 1 more BTB map and one more arena style map next month. That's 4 new maps in the span of a year. I feel like we were getting 3-6 new maps every 6 months in past Halo games.

I think the game is a lot of fun but 343 has done an abysmal job of adding new maps and variety. I know they're struggling with a whole bunch of issues on the campaign side of thing and with additional content, but adding new dev made maps should have been the first priority. The easiest strategy to retain player engagement is simply to add new and awesome maps. Catatlyst and Breaker (BTB) are the only maps that have been added to the playlists and that's just pathetic. We're getting 1 more BTB map and one more arena style map next month. That's 4 new maps in the span of a year. I feel like we were getting 3-6 new maps every 6 months in past Halo games.

There is currently a little World of Warcraft infographic going around a redditor made showing the historic cadence of content release for all of WoW's lifetime and add-ons etc. At a glance I guessed approx. 2.5 big content releases a year on average with the core product having more like 3 per quarter. Given the length of things like raids in WoW it appears to paint a stark contrast to Halo Infinite's history since launch and current roadmap. Sea of Thieves was a bit of bare bones start but has since become a juggernaut and like clockwork. The same goes for Fortnite or Apex Legends, their release schedules are solid AF these days.

I just don't understand have all those years and resources to produce what we have today. Halo's spaceship was helmed into a dark place. The latest viewer numbers for the Finals have Halo well behind COD finals, approx. 2 to 1 in favour of COD.

MadPanda

Banned

I certainly agree. All the maps available in ranked arena are those from the launch. Feels like there are only 3 maps in total. There are certainly more game modes than maps on ranked arena which is abysmal. As I said, I still don't mind it but if I'm to continue playing it we need lots of maps more. Can't see myself looping through the same maps in 6 months time.

I know people complain about Activision and how they put so many studios on call of duty but that's why COD is so content rich and why they pump so many maps, guns and everything so fast (one of the reasons). I remember 343i saying Infinite will be a 10 years live service game and this is far from it.

Wish they improve battle pass leveling as I'd like to buy it but with current leveling I'm not going to bother.

There is currently a little World of Warcraft infographic going around a redditor made showing the historic cadence of content release for all of WoW's lifetime and add-ons etc. At a glance I guessed approx. 2.5 big content releases a year on average with the core product having more like 3 per quarter. Given the length of things like raids in WoW it appears to paint a stark contrast to Halo Infinite's history since launch and current roadmap. Sea of Thieves was a bit of bare bones start but has since become a juggernaut and like clockwork. The same goes for Fortnite or Apex Legends, their release schedules are solid AF these days.

I just don't understand have all those years and resources to produce what we have today. Halo's spaceship was helmed into a dark place. The latest viewer numbers for the Finals have Halo well behind COD finals, approx. 2 to 1 in favour of COD.
I certainly agree. All the maps available in ranked arena are those from the launch. Feels like there are only 3 maps in total. There are certainly more game modes than maps on ranked arena which is abysmal. As I said, I still don't mind it but if I'm to continue playing it we need lots of maps more. Can't see myself looping through the same maps in 6 months time.

I know people complain about Activision and how they put so many studios on call of duty but that's why COD is so content rich and why they pump so many maps, guns and everything so fast (one of the reasons). I remember 343i saying Infinite will be a 10 years live service game and this is far from it.

Wish they improve battle pass leveling as I'd like to buy it but with current leveling I'm not going to bother.
Yeah makes no sense to me either. World of Warcraft is such a different kind of game, but putting out content for it still requires a lot of work. I don't know how 343's staffing numbers compare to blizzard's numbers, but 343 has more than enough employees to match what other companies are doing, Rare for example (like Ozzy mentioned). Can it really be attributed to just the staffing alone? I'll just say I agree with you both and it feels sad seeing how much more popular CoD is currently.

EDIT: lol

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Yeah makes no sense to me either. World of Warcraft is such a different kind of game, but putting out content for it still requires a lot of work. I don't know how 343's staffing numbers compare to blizzard's numbers, but 343 has more than enough employees to match what other companies are doing, Rare for example (like Ozzy mentioned). Can it really be attributed to just the staffing alone? I'll just say I agree with you both and it feels sad seeing how much more popular CoD is currently.

EDIT: lol

[/URL]

Blizzard is 4 to 6 times 343i, albeit with multiple projects. To me it's obvious that 343i needs more external partners it they want to have a live service FPS.

Witchilich

Or buy Certain Affinity and have a portion of them continue supporting Halo. TBH I dunno why they haven't done that already, maybe waiting for the Activision thing to finish first.
Certain Affinity are working on Tatanka. I meant the Activision model of multiple support studios for each Call of Duty. Have one of those COD studios help 343i with Halo Infinite. Let 343i use IW engine codebase to improve Slipspace Engine.

Last edited:

Witchilich

Blizzard alone has over 5000 employees. Its not just about the devs, they have huge amount of QA staff.

MadPanda

Banned
So after I do all the challenges I have to wait a certain amount of time to get new ones? This system of progression is so weird. I can't imagine a meeting where someone suggests it and everyone agreed it's a good idea.

I have conflicting feelings on this game. I can't imagine how long time fans are feeling.

Havoc2049

So after I do all the challenges I have to wait a certain amount of time to get new ones? This system of progression is so weird. I can't imagine a meeting where someone suggests it and everyone agreed it's a good idea.

I have conflicting feelings on this game. I can't imagine how long time fans are feeling.
Luckily the XP progression system is about to change on November 8th with the Winter Update. Now there is going to be XP with each match and the better you perform, the more XP you get.

MadPanda

Banned
Luckily the XP progression system is about to change on November 8th with the Winter Update. Now there is going to be XP with each match and the better you perform, the more XP you get.

Yeah I saw that. Let's see how they implement it. It's unbelievable it took them a year to put that in when it should've been there at launch. Can't wait for that update. I've been hooked on this game a lot. I thought about buying modern warfare 2 but I gave up on it for now as I'm enjoying Halo Infinite so there's no need to waste money on mw2.

Yeah I saw that. Let's see how they implement it. It's unbelievable it took them a year to put that in when it should've been there at launch. Can't wait for that update. I've been hooked on this game a lot. I thought about buying modern warfare 2 but I gave up on it for now as I'm enjoying Halo Infinite so there's no need to waste money on mw2.
🙌 I'm excited for the update too! I know forge may not bring everyone back, but I can't wait to see the new creations. Forgers are going to have a blast. I feel like we have to accept that it will be baby steps from here on out - if you're a fan of Halo and still willing to play Infinite or give it a chance.

EDIT: Forgehub person hired by 343 to be a playlist manager? Sean is absolutely 100% right on this one. 343 needs to be able to insert forge creations into a playlist asap and on a regular basis to make it work. If it takes months for something as simple as that then it's only going to feed into the "this-game-is-doomed" mindset of fans even more.

Last edited:
This is way too accurate
Eh I appreciate Mint Blitz's videos. I guess there's always going to be some degree of over the top enthusiasm from some streamers, but I don't think I've ever seen him be obnoxious. I like to follow Hidden Xperia, Sean W, and Mint Blitz for Halo information. They're all a bit different. Hidden Xperia and Mint Blintz try and be as constructively positive as possible, but even they admit when the game is a mess. Sean just laughs and calls everything as he sees it. Honestly the fact that they try and remain positive might be why I enjoy watching Hidden Xperia and Mint Blitz content. For me it's like an involuntary reflex to be defensive about Halo when the entire planet goes on a hate parade regarding 343 and Infinite lol. I can't help it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Speaking of Mint Blitz, he just put out this video of a minecraft mod for Halo 3. Haha it looks pretty cool actually.

Speaking of Mint Blitz, he just put out this video of a minecraft mod for Halo 3. Haha it looks pretty cool actually.

Yep, our Halo party peeps are moving out of console to PC to play that mods, some of our circle our console only warriors. I still find it weird they don't support full mods on consoles via MCC. Am I wrong on that?

Yep, our Halo party peeps are moving out of console to PC to play that mods, some of our circle our console only warriors. I still find it weird they don't support full mods on consoles via MCC. Am I wrong on that?
I don't think you're wrong. Mods on console would be awesome. Is it possible they'd compromise the integrity of the console and make cheating easier?

EDIT:

Last edited:
I don't think you're wrong. Mods on console would be awesome. Is it possible they'd compromise the integrity of the console and make cheating easier?

EDIT:

Given how prevalent crossplay is these days I don't think it matters anymore.

More updates:

In today’s blog covering the improvements landing with the Winter Update, we’re focusing on a few substantial ways in which your matchmaking experience will improve in Halo Infinite.
Here's a TL;DR of these updates landing next week:
  • Local Region Matchmaking will make its debut
  • Improved logic for CSR progression
  • Improved rules for quitting with uneven teams
  • And more!

This video is hilarious. I never watched this guy before but he's funny.
Haha yeah. I can see where some people might get annoyed by his personality but I find him pretty entertaining.

EDIT:
ROFL I scoffed at that AMD image posted in the other thread supposedly showing ray tracing. I guess it came from an actual presentation, so I stand corrected. Believe it or not I can see the difference. It seems pretty subtle without any movement, but I think in game it will be more noticeable and something fans will appreciate. Here's Sean having a laugh at the presentation, but for real I can actually see it and think it will be nice. And if I'm wrong it will just be one more out of too many lol.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Very thirsty for some new - any - Halo content. Hope the maps are good.
I hope they can implement the community forge maps quickly into matchmaking.
You know the Forgers of the world are going to go hard with all these tools.
If 343 refuses to release a set of classic map remakes - the community will no doubt pump them out.

To that end, we’ve added a new feature that allows players to choose to match exclusively into games hosted within their local region.

You have to love the marketing spin on shit like this don't you? Shit should have always been part of a major reworking of Halo matchmaking into a far more dynamic player and party filtered system. I appreciate the executive decision change on this one but it was fucking boneheaded to push a dev spearheaded system again anyway.

My biggest concern with all of this is the core enjoyment. I don't like Infinite's take on maps or split gameplay of arena vs BTB. I want that classic Halo formula of light vehicles and cool non-MLG/HCS maps. Where do I go to play such a beast? I'll wait for Certain Affinity's new mode. I'm really pinning my hopes on this being the way forward for friends and I with Halo.

Very thirsty for some new - any - Halo content. Hope the maps are good.
I hope they can implement the community forge maps quickly into matchmaking.
You know the Forgers of the world are going to go hard with all these tools.
If 343 refuses to release a set of classic map remakes - the community will no doubt pump them out.
Same. Agree with everything you just said.
You have to love the marketing spin on shit like this don't you? Shit should have always been part of a major reworking of Halo matchmaking into a far more dynamic player and party filtered system. I appreciate the executive decision change on this one but it was fucking boneheaded to push a dev spearheaded system again anyway.

My biggest concern with all of this is the core enjoyment. I don't like Infinite's take on maps or split gameplay of arena vs BTB. I want that classic Halo formula of light vehicles and cool non-MLG/HCS maps. Where do I go to play such a beast? I'll wait for Certain Affinity's new mode. I'm really pinning my hopes on this being the way forward for friends and I with Halo.
You've had it rough with the region issues. I'm optimistic about forge and the new update coming out tomorrow, but I would love to see the Certain Affinity stuff hit out of the freaking park too.

Blizzard is 4 to 6 times 343i, albeit with multiple projects. To me it's obvious that 343i needs more external partners it they want to have a live service FPS.
No, 343i does terrible with external partners. For example, MCC. What they need is consistent talent that doesn’t rotate when the contract is up.

Honestly, if I had it my way, let’s move Staten over to Certain Affinity and have them make a full Halo game. That team would have the vision and the chops to accomplish what a studio like 343 can’t seem to.

I love Infinite, but over the years 343 seems to consistently miss the mark. Infinite is great, and I like the concept of the open world. I also like the Multiplayer, but none of it is remarkable.

Last edited:
If I'm being honest I would love to see Halo 2/3 extended out further than H2A. Perhaps I'm off base but my dream version would be extended from H2A over Infinite for battle royale. Let Max and his team go nuts with their sweet spot. I'd love a ViDoc about the differences from Infinite to Tatanka, perhaps a branched or separate build and engine.

If I'm being honest I would love to see Halo 2/3 extended out further than H2A. Perhaps I'm off base but my dream version would be extended from H2A over Infinite for battle royale. Let Max and his team go nuts with their sweet spot. I'd love a ViDoc about the differences from Infinite to Tatanka, perhaps a branched or separate build and engine.
It's a great idea but get in line :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's what I was wanting Bungie to do with Halo CE. The wait continues rofl. But seriously, I would love to see an extension of Halo 2/3 as well. That would be fantastic.

EDIT: As others have mentioned, it's not enough just to be able to access new forge creations. They need to be playable with other people and not just in customs. There really needs to be a playlist that goes through forge creations imo. Maybe bring the vote system back so players can vote between choices.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
A new update and a new problem for me.

With this update we got that winter update battle pass but I want to make progress on Lone Wolves. I switch to it but it just switches back to the winter one. I hope they fix it asap.

One more thing. Thid they just reset Ranked Arena ranks? If yes, then I don't like it as I played it for the last two three weeks and got some nice ranks and now I have to do those boring placement matches. They have so many weird decisions. It's infuriating.

Last edited:
Why in the world did they remove Bot Bootcamp...? The only PVE playlist, gone. And no word on Firefight, campaign DLC or anything else either.

343 really does not like PVE.

Naked Lunch

One more thing. Thid they just reset Ranked Arena ranks? If yes, then I don't like it as I played it for the last two three weeks and got some nice ranks and now I have to do those boring placement matches. They have so many weird decisions. It's infuriating.
I think Ranked is solely for keeping you with like-skilled players - as you can de-rank just as easily. Rather than trying to achieve some rank and stay there.
They reset ranks quite often actually - and in 343's past games they reset every season or more.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
I think Ranked is solely for keeping you with like-skilled players - as you can de-rank just as easily. Rather than trying to achieve some rank and stay there.
They reset ranks quite often actually - and in 343's past games they reset every season or more.
Wish I knew that earlier, I wouldn't bother, especially with long wait times..

I still haven't played on Argyle, which playlist should I try for it?

Seeing a lot of buzz related to forge over the past couple of days. Just need to get that custom browser implemented and a playlist. The damnation remake that someone did look sick. Out of the 3 videos (yes, two are from Mint Blitz), Sean' W's has more raw highlights from his time playing. His video definitely gave me some of that old school vibe from playing customs way back in the day in Halo 3.

Last edited:
Well in good news it looks like Bot Bootcamp will be coming back.

ShaoEpO.jpg

Top Bottom