• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Well well well.. Look who it is.
Animated GIF

Nice to see a familiar face around!

I haven't had a chance to try any of these but they do look really good.

*If ActiBliz gets completed in some way...

MS/Xbox are about to bring in a ton of assets, talent and tech. There will be a lot of IPs/licensing/collab/restructuring for a year or two post that deal closing. Ultimately 343 should have had this happen after Halo 5. Infinite and the 7 years we're pushing now should have had all this done and dusted. They should have brought in the core Halo devs, paid plenty (but worth it), and gone to town with PvE and BR. It really isn't that hard to see it in the last 5 years, 343 just chased esports and some crazy social shite Halo then their own game engine and new hardware releases hand in hand. Given the mess 343 has been project to project and game to game I'd suspect Staten didn't really want to be there anymore. At his stage of career I wouldn't want to be at a studio that is a mess tech and vision wise either.

While losing Staten is bad, him being a larger part of Xbox (what he was doing before 343 anyhow) is a "greater good" trade-off for Xbox and Halo fans. They really should just give Certain Affinity and Max the Halo games completely and 343 is purely the media/franchise/merchandise arm etc.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Crazy news about Staten for sure.
I was always in the camp that Staten returned to 343 to right the ship of the whole franchise - but it seems he was just brought in to just 'ship' the Infinite project out.
Who knows the future of 343 and the Halo franchise at this point.
For us fans, more waiting and hoping...

jdouglas

Damn, it's been over 2 years since I've logged in?

Anyway, (bi)yearly reminder that sprint and other bullshit (too much to write out) ruined Halo.

jdouglas

Fuck it, I'm in a journaling mood: Bungie ruining halo was ironically one of the best and worst things to happen to me. I was hopelessly addicted to halo back in high school, and the gradual ruin that Halo became (hardcore mode in Reach was actually one of my favorite Halos, weirdly), culminating with Halo 4 let me quit absolutely cold-turkey. I remember after one month of Halo 4, I realized I wasn't having fun. I wasn't playing sports, socializing much, getting out of the house, etc. So I quit.

Then I got hopelessly addicted to LoL. That game was DESIGNED to get you addicted. And I did, for like 2 years in undergrad, it put my life on stall. Absolute stagnation. At some point I realized I wasn't getting the college experience. Quit that cold-turkey too. Best decision of my life. Got into medical school, just finished interviews for PGY1 position, traveled the world, climbed El Cap, Mont Blanc, others, got several girlfriends way out of my league, got a whole lot out of life. Video games are fun, but I am an alcoholic when it comes to video games, so I won't be coming back for them, even though I miss the days of shotty-snipes on valhalla quite a bit.

With the recent 343/Halo news MCC and Infinite are both deep in the shitter down under. No population at any time of day or day of the week to find local matches. Great job once again forcing 2 region selections Australia.

With the recent 343/Halo news MCC and Infinite are both deep in the shitter down under. No population at any time of day or day of the week to find local matches. Great job once again forcing 2 region selections Australia.
It's a hard life for halo fans right now. At least cod fans get a new game on an almost annual basis. One game is bad? Just wait until the next year. Halo fans though? Just wait another decade :messenger_loudly_crying: I've been finding refuge in playing all the nintendo switch games I've missed out on. Just finished BotW FINALLY lol. Gonna switch to Metroid Dread soon with Animal Crossing sprinkled in between.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I need to go back and finish BoTW one of these days. I only got like 3-4 hours into the game but couldn't get past the weapons being sooo weak and breaking all the time. My loss.

Infinite needs a major update in both single player and multiplayer content. Launching a new map here and there isn't going change the fortunes of the game. I also feel it was bad idea to separate Infinite into two separate games. I enjoyed the combination of single and multiplayer XP progression of past Halo games.

I need to go back and finish BoTW one of these days. I only got like 3-4 hours into the game but couldn't get past the weapons being sooo weak and breaking all the time. My loss.

Infinite needs a major update in both single player and multiplayer content. Launching a new map here and there isn't going change the fortunes of the game. I also feel it was bad idea to separate Infinite into two separate games. I enjoyed the combination of single and multiplayer XP progression of past Halo games.
The weapon durability is a massive pain but you get used to it eventually. My two biggest knocks against botw are the weapons constantly breaking (like you mentioned) and the story not being as engaging. It's not necessarily a bad story but it doesn't suck you in either. The freedom to explore and go anywhere you want is amazing though and ultimately makes the game. Probably the best exploration game I've ever played. I really enjoyed the visuals too. The closest thing we have ever had to a playable 3d version of the dragon's lair arcade game from the 80's. It gives off a sense of awe and wonder that totally triggers nostalgic euphoria for me lol.

Oh and I totally feel you on the Halo games being better when multiplayer and campaign are combined. Way better that way imo.

Last edited:
This game is so dead and it depresses the shit out of me.

Yes, the game is also quite shit, saving a few maps and modes but the playlist sustain and settings shit on any gleaming hope. It's always 1 step forward and 2 backward. Whomever is ramming territories, control, attrition etc via sustain is killing the game. Whomever is approving map designs has to go, if they haven't already.

I firmly place hope with Max and the new mode. Fingers crossed but again that misses the mark and we're years away from anything concrete in our hands to play. What a complete mismanagement my MS/Xbox/343 all round,10+ years of shite.

The things I could have done with Halo in 10 years if I was giving the helm of 500 staff. Massive MMO, Destiny 2 style PvE, razor focus on classic 4v4 light slayer/obj from Halo 1-3 to expand on. Push Azure to the limit like no other game has in innovative ways right into gameplay. Dynamic/procedural maps mixed with static elements. Forge mini campaign elements. Restore tools for machinima. Lore and story worth a damn. A TV show that told the original trilogy right. Blah blah.

Fuck even lego instead of ShitBlocks. The choices 343 have made tarnished the fuck out of Halo. It wasn't rocket science. 343's rockets crashed to the ground like SpaceX's first tries. They're out of money for another failed launch, thank fuck.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Yes, the game is also quite shit, saving a few maps and modes but the playlist sustain and settings shit on any gleaming hope. It's always 1 step forward and 2 backward. Whomever is ramming territories, control, attrition etc via sustain is killing the game. Whomever is approving map designs has to go, if they haven't already.

I firmly place hope with Max and the new mode. Fingers crossed but again that misses the mark and we're years away from anything concrete in our hands to play. What a complete mismanagement my MS/Xbox/343 all round,10+ years of shite.

The things I could have done with Halo in 10 years if I was giving the helm of 500 staff. Massive MMO, Destiny 2 style PvE, razor focus on classic 4v4 light slayer/obj from Halo 1-3 to expand on. Push Azure to the limit like no other game has in innovative ways right into gameplay. Dynamic/procedural maps mixed with static elements. Forge mini campaign elements. Restore tools for machinima. Lore and story worth a damn. A TV show that told the original trilogy right. Blah blah.

Fuck even lego instead of ShitBlocks. The choices 343 have made tarnished the fuck out of Halo. It wasn't rocket science. 343's rockets crashed to the ground like SpaceX's first tries. They're out of money for another failed launch, thank fuck.
Ya, map design has been crap since Halo 5. Halo 4 had some good maps and H2A had some great remakes.

Ya, something like Destiny would be nice, but maybe not as quite of a grand scale and less RPG elements. Going up against Destiny would be suicide. Maybe a Spartan base with multiplayer arenas and Master Chief and Spartan mini-missions/adventures launched from the base. Short epic stories that last like 5-6 hours. Bring back the M rating and drop all the lame writing.

I'm not sure what was up with Halo Infinite. The big open world with large sections of it barely used or not used at all screams for DLC or little mini adventures, ala Sea of Thieves. Based on Joe Staten's tweets, it sounded like that is what he wanted to do, but I guess Microsoft felt it wasn't worth it. So the DLC never came and the multiplayer updates have come at a snails pace. Since they haven't done anything by now, maybe just start over? Save the Battle Royale for the reboot?

It will be interesting to see where this all goes.

Edit: Ya, Kiki and crew went with the Teen rating and pimped out Halo to everyone and their mother. Jason Jones was way better with managing the IP. When Bungie didn't get a Lord of the Rings type budget for a Halo movie, he took the deal off the table. Way better than dragging the IP through the mud like they did with that low budget Parmount+ junk.

Last edited:
Edit: Ya, Kiki and crew went with the Teen rating and pimped out Halo to everyone and their mother. Jason Jones was way better with managing the IP. When Bungie didn't get a Lord of the Rings type budget for a Halo movie, he took the deal off the table. Way better than dragging the IP through the mud like they did with that low budget Parmount+ junk.

Such a good point about Teen rating. Fuck the family friendly aspect of Halo. Go the Deadpool, Blade route and get at least Mature but I'd rather a R rating personally. Balls out adult and dark, desperate even. Halo fans are at least a decade older if not two decades older on average. Step up Xbox, get gritty. Reach campaign was successful because it wasn't a kiddy game in tone, same goes for ODST.

The TV show was also very child like for me. The dialogue, the action, the setups, the characters, the overall CGI look etc. It's does this fans head in how we got H2A from Blur and that has been pushed aside for H5/Infinite/TV show. A Halo tragedy, instead of a trilogy, when will the saga end.

Honestly it's absolutely wild what's happened with this franchise. If you'd told me during the Halo 3 days it'd go like this I'd have thought you were batshit insane. Books will probably be written about it in the future.

It's such a whirlwind I don't even know what to think about the recent developments. Just kind of numb to it all at this point TBH.

Honestly it's absolutely wild what's happened with this franchise. If you'd told me during the Halo 3 days it'd go like this I'd have thought you were batshit insane. Books will probably be written about it in the future.

It's such a whirlwind I don't even know what to think about the recent developments. Just kind of numb to it all at this point TBH.
Yep numb is the best word to use in this situation. Like how many blows can Halo fans take before one can't be let down any further? Mint Blitz is the eternal optimist in this video lol. With the news that Infinite and the BR (whatever it is) are being switched to the Unreal engine, he asks if his viewers think it's good or bad. On the one hand I feel anger, disappointment and depression. How long do Halo fans have to wait for 343 to get their act together? Is Halo on the 10 year development cycle now? On the other hand, it's obvious the Slipspace engine was a disaster and never accomplished what it was supposed to. Switching to Unreal needed to happen and is the best news out of a sea of bad news that fans can latch on to. But geez waiting even longer for new content or a competent game is massively depressing. I'm so glad I got a switch recently. I needed something to distance myself away from Halo for the time being.

Naked Lunch

I donno - I take all the recent info as good news.
It seems everyone in charge of Halo post bungie are now gone - the hammer hit 343 hard. The studio (and series) is truly now in a full rebuild/reboot. And the only concrete info we have is the guy who fixed the MCC (Pierre Hintze) is at the head of it all - along with proven Halo vets Certain Affinity. This at least tells us they are not going to hammer their head into the same path theyve been going on.

For some reason all this news is giving me small hope that sprint might be on the table to get nixed - I can dream.

As for story - Halo is capable of a darker serious tone. Check out the 'Headhunters' shortstory and animated clip - several of the anime shorts from Legends like 'Prototype' and 'The Babysitter'. The novels are almost always set in that hard sci fi, serious space. I hope they lean heavy into that route for the future games.

Last edited:
Here's two games/videos one after another the other day. It just highlights so many issues that add up to a shite experience with Halo -

First game, feels like a MLG/HCS teams mismatched, randos vs full stack, forced USA servers, years old forge map that looks and plays like shit, imbalanced game I have to hang around and play even though I have more kills than my whole rando team combined, limited sandbox and teamwork required to control a tiny map with massive sighlines. BR, grenade, die, rinse, repeat. I hate esports versions of Halo.

Second game High Ground, decent fun slayer map, match the same full stack squad (doesn't reverse host region to Australia though does it?), MLG/HCS team has no real clue how to even play High Ground, they get hammered and literally stopped play the second half and AFK as they cannot quit without penalty, far better map in terms of movement, squad control, sandbox available etc. The load time is atrocious, due to some players having OG Xboxes I'd imagine, something that plagues Halo matchmaking all the time.

Skip to 1min to get started below -

This gap between hardcore and classic has to be filled or the playlist management and filtering has to enable players/parties to find what they want to play and have a far closer outcome playing against "like minded" enemies. The staunch refusal to provide real matchmaking filters has always hindered Halo 4,5/MCC/Infinite. It's a joke this isn't managed far better. No wonder new players have a shit time, they have no control over what to play and the maps/modes on offer vary wildly while they run into hyper-experience players/teams polarising game outcomes.

Last edited:

The maps that forgers are able to come up with are just insane. The forge team at 343 did an amazing job. It's just too bad it wasn't available at launch.

I have no idea what is happening over at 343 right now. They should have scrapped everything they were doing to focus solely on getting a forge playlist out immediately with regularly implemented new maps while also working on getting quality dev maps made. That's it. No secret sauce. Would be a huge boon for the game but apparently 343 is interested in doing whatever the heck they are doing, something that is not benefitting their fans in the slightest.

The maps that forgers are able to come up with are just insane. The forge team at 343 did an amazing job. It's just too bad it wasn't available at launch.

I have no idea what is happening over at 343 right now. They should have scrapped everything they were doing to focus solely on getting a forge playlist out immediately with regularly implemented new maps while also working on getting quality dev maps made. That's it. No secret sauce. Would be a huge boon for the game but apparently 343 is interested in doing whatever the heck they are doing, something that is not benefitting their fans in the slightest.

Totally agree, maps and modes and more maps.

The playlist management combined with matchmaking systems are the Achilles' heel of 343's Halo games. Infinite should have had a very player/party controlled dynamic system with far less skill based matchmaking and far more matching of players and teams looking for similar experiences e.g. classic, hardcore, crazy fun etc.

Naked Lunch

The Forge official matchmaking playlist just dropped yesterday - so the floodgates have been opened.
Its been said this is a permanent playlist and will always get updates. Very good news.

Unfortunately after I played for awhile last night - half of the maps of this first selection are kinda messy and not the greatest in my opinion. But I imagine the map selection will always be rotating - and its finally some positive Infinite news. Season 3 comes out in under a month too.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

They also added an interesting Infinite even this week - leading up to Season 3's launch. Featuring unlockable armor for 2 Spartans who were cut from the Halo Reach game. Their backstory in the article. It says Thom was actually in the Halo Reach commercial - and thats where he died. Yet another example of almost everything Halo related that is produced (outside of the TV show of course) is part of the cannon.

Once upon a time, there were to be seven members of Noble Team—the seven samurai, the magnificent seven... but two of them didn’t make it into Halo: Reach.
Thom-A293 perished in the aforementioned game’s live-action “Deliver Hope” trailer, blowing up a Covenant vessel from the inside with a tactical nuke. Rosenda-A344 remained in obscure background fiction, cited as a potential replacement on the team for Emile-A239.
And now, these two Spartans return in the Noble Intention Event for Halo Infinite, along with additional Halo: Reach-themed cosmetics for your MARK V Armor Core in a free 10-tier Event Pass to bring the Winter Update to a close.

Update: as it turns out this is basically a promotion for a new Halo Reach era audiobook - now streaming on youtube. This story takes place before the Halo Reach game and is all about Noble team. Very cool!

Last edited:

This is an INSANE play. Gilkey has my attention.

Cool clip but fuck do I hate this "low hanging fruit" esports shit in Halo. Prenades every single time, territories making player positioning predictable and prenades even more effective etc. Also nades and low latency USA host just equate to even more advantage online. Tight maps, predictable spawns, sightlines that make walking into prenades horrible, worse fixed positions due to control etc.

Fuck this clip, really a McHalo highlight, I'm not for it. Sorry to shit on a frenzy, skilled player no doubt. Just not a clip that impresses me. It's certainly not a Halo map and mode I want to play hundreds of times over.

Last edited:
Last night I tried Infinite > forge/community playlist again. 2 games in a row of oddball on that midship map again. WTF. 2 sessions and 5 games in a row of the same shit. Fuck off 343. You need to start matchmaking pool schedules to change up e.g. Apex Legends changing the maps for pubs and showing a counter so you know when you want to play. Take notes Halo devs, FFS.

I uninstalled Infinite. It's trash.

stickkidsam

At least we always have the MCC.

Hell I even installed Halo 5 recently and damn, it's gotta be my favorite game from 343. At least for the arena multiplayer. While BTB kinda sucks and Warzone isn't my thing, the thruster pack and gunplay feel so good in Arena.

Naked Lunch

At least we always have the MCC.

Hell I even installed Halo 5 recently and damn, it's gotta be my favorite game from 343. At least for the arena multiplayer. While BTB kinda sucks and Warzone isn't my thing, the thruster pack and gunplay feel so good in Arena.
Very true about the MCC - we're lucky as Halo fans that the 20 year old games will seemingly always have a community playing because of the collection.
As a Battlefield and Team Fortress Classic fan - the earlier games in the series are dead and gone forever.

I cannot agree about Halo 5 though. Feels so weak im comparison to Infinite and of course the classics. Halo 5 is literally a pistol only game. When they nerfed the BR they killed the game for me. Plus the H5 forge maps are ugly beyond belief.

stickkidsam

Very true about the MCC - we're lucky as Halo fans that the 20 year old games will seemingly always have a community playing because of the collection.
As a Battlefield and Team Fortress Classic fan - the earlier games in the series are dead and gone forever.

I cannot agree about Halo 5 though. Feels so weak im comparison to Infinite and of course the classics. Halo 5 is literally a pistol only game. When they nerfed the BR they killed the game for me. Plus the H5 forge maps are ugly beyond belief.
It do be a hell of a lucky break for us. Of all of 343's wins, MCC weirdly enough became their biggest.

Forge is an interesting case though. Halo 3 Forge while primitive, worked in the same way legos do. Halo 5 and to a lesser extent Infinite however (while at time gorgeous) dip into a sort of uncanny valley for me though.

Have you tried the Halo 2 BR in Halo 5? It's absolutely stupid how good it feels in the game (not sure if the nerf applied to it as well). I just wish the rest of the sandbox could compete. It's a game that is so unique and feels like it could really have expanded if given a chance. Weirdly enough, Infinite feels worse for me. On the surface it's great and the gunplay is fairly tight. Yet the experience feels kind of hollow to me, like ghosting through a teammate because collision is off lol

Guys is this too far or exactly the kind of fortnite craziness the game needs
I'll say that it's... almost subtle enough to work with Halo. If they made it look like it's coming through the visor rather than on top of it I think it'd be cool. Plus I can't deny that my inner kid thinks some of that stuff is rad lol

Have you tried the Halo 2 BR in Halo 5? It's absolutely stupid how good it feels in the game (not sure if the nerf applied to it as well).

Going from my vague memory H5 > Warzone it took me over 6-9 months for RNG-jesus to bless me with the Halo 2 BR. It was game on after that and felt like my Halo home sweet home.

For me that's a massive down turning point for all FPS games, 343's Halo games included. I fucking hate ironsights in all FPS games, just visual clutter that isn't needed. Give me the clear Spartan Link Scope without ironsights at all. Halo 5's default BR was ironsights trash and I hated it. The pistol and AR at least had the clear scope retained, from memory.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Going from my vague memory H5 > Warzone it took me over 6-9 months for RNG-jesus to bless me with the Halo 2 BR. It was game on after that and felt like my Halo home sweet home.

For me that's a massive down turning point for all FPS games, 343's Halo games included. I fucking hate ironsights in all FPS games, just visual clutter that isn't needed. Give me the clear Spartan Link Scope without ironsights at all. Halo 5's default BR was ironsights trash and I hated it. The pistol and AR at least had the scope retained, from memory.
lol congrats on receiving favor from the great dice roll in the sky. I'm lucky I unlocked the armor I wanted early. Unfortunately now I can only pray I get assassinations and not literally anything else.

Ironsights in Halo are a really hard sell. I think it works fine for full auto weapons or PWs, but having a generic scope just feels better. Like I'm on the planet Hoth scoping out the territory. Definitely keep ironsights off precision though. Speaking of which, the pistol and AR did actually have iron sights. Later on they added the Tactical M6H2 though which has a 2x smart link scope. That gun feels great to use. It's got the M6D range while having a good fire rate. The Gunfighter M6H2 feels like a better M6C.

lol congrats on receiving favor from the great dice roll in the sky. I'm lucky I unlocked the armor I wanted early. Unfortunately now I can only pray I get assassinations and not literally anything else.

Ironsights in Halo are a really hard sell. I think it works fine for full auto weapons or PWs, but having a generic scope just feels better. Like I'm on the planet Hoth scoping out the territory. Definitely keep ironsights off precision though. Speaking of which, the pistol and AR did actually have iron sights. Later on they added the Tactical M6H2 though which has a 2x smart link scope. That gun feels great to use. It's got the M6D range while having a good fire rate. The Gunfighter M6H2 feels like a better M6C.

I'd take your memory over mine there, haven't played H5 in a long time. I don't mind ironsights in the game, just give players a choice for default weapons really, or quick pickups on the maps/loot etc.

I can't recall how long it took me to get the H2 BR in warzone. I definitely caved though and purchased a couple of their promotional packs. I think for me it took 4 to 5 months. I really had fun in warzone. Honestly, I figured 343 would do a warzone for Infinite and was surprised when it wasn't there. It's weird but Halo games in general have that problem with sequels. We have never gotten a Halo sequel with the same mechanics/physics carried over from the previous game. It's always reinvented. Which pissed me off royally with H2 for a long time. But I had so much fun with xbox live and all the good maps that I got over my annoyance fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I can't recall how long it took me to get the H2 BR in warzone. I definitely caved though and purchased a couple of their promotional packs. I think for me it took 4 to 5 months. I really had fun in warzone. Honestly, I figured 343 would do a warzone for Infinite and was surprised when it wasn't there. It's weird but Halo games in general have that problem with sequels. We have never gotten a Halo with the mechanics/physics carried over from the previous game. It's always reinvented. Which pissed me off royally with H2 for a long time. But I had so much fun with xbox live and all the good maps that I got over it fairly quickly.

It's a valid point. Part of the charm of COD, Apex, CS or Halo 1-3 etc is that continuity. Apex even keeps the guns and naming etc. It makes it easy to jump from one title to the next too. 343's Halo games 4/5/Infinite all behave wildly different.

Naked Lunch

Have you tried the Halo 2 BR in Halo 5? It's absolutely stupid how good it feels in the game (not sure if the nerf applied to it as well). I just wish the rest of the sandbox could compete. It's a game that is so unique and feels like it could really have expanded if given a chance. Weirdly enough, Infinite feels worse for me. On the surface it's great and the gunplay is fairly tight. Yet the experience feels kind of hollow to me, like ghosting through a teammate because collision is off lol
Yes - you are right about the Halo 2 BR. I forgot about it. Its not a part of regular matchmaking - they have special playlists for it only certain times of the year which is just strange. H5 simply plays better with the H2 BR in there.

The thing is, the Halo 5 launch BR was fine but after an update a year or so later - they made it shoot considerably slower - its basically useless and no one uses it, and they never changed it back for some reason.

Theres just something about hearing nothing but the pistol in Halo 5 mp that irks me - I even hate the sound effect for it. There is no reason at all to use other weapons, even the power weapons. Throwback to Halo 1 sure, but a new mp game shouldnt be limited to one weapon.

I find the no collision of Infinite is a huge problem as well. No clue what they were thinking - im guessing to appeal to noobs of the franchise? Or maybe to work around their super cramped map designs of Infinite? You can literally jump backwards, warp thru someone, melee, and get that stupid 'ninja' melee assassination. Im pretty sure Infinite forge allows you to turn back ON collision, as well as turn off sprint(!)

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I've just completed Halo Infinite and the campaign was absolutely brilliant, minus the open world elements. Did not care for that at the slightest and it felt tacked on in the same way Ubisoft games artificially add pointless shit for the sake of it. Final boss battle was really shit though. Felt unfair with waves of enemies and her tracking balls that follow you.

I take it the planned 'Endless' DLC is canned?

I'm also curious why they've switched from their current engine to Unreal Engine. Halo Infinite actually looks pretty sharp. The graphical effects are really good. The art style is also beautiful. I was so impressed at how pretty everything looked.

K6PUOoV.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom