• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

I missed this tweet. I have tempered expectations but I really want it to be good. I'm not sure how exclusive streaming on paramount+ will turn out. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
Dr. Samuel Hayden Dr. Samuel Hayden I was able to get it to start downloading. Restarted my box (not sure if that really mattered) and then season 1 showed up in the game pass section. Click on it. Which only showed an option to get game pass. But there's also an option to view in store. Went there and you click on FREE to start download.

EDIT:

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Dr. Samuel Hayden Dr. Samuel Hayden I was able to get it to start downloading. Restarted my box (not sure if that really mattered) and then season 1 showed up in the game pass section. Click on it. Which only showed an option to get game pass. But there's also an option to view in store. Went there and you click on FREE to start download.

EDIT:

Can confirm restarting worked for me. Updating my game right now. I didn't even need to go to gamepass. I just tried starting the game :D

YukiOnna

From Staten:

On behalf of the entire Halo Infinite team, and in celebration of Halo’s 20th anniversary, I am very happy to announce that your Spartan journey begins… today! Sincerest thanks to the entire Halo community for your support, passion, and feedback. This day belongs to all of you. Whether you’ve been part of the community from the beginning or are joining with us today, welcome! Please read on or jump directly to the Halo Infinite multiplayer beta download link HERE.

Why is this release a beta? Our previous Multiplayer Technical Previews went a long way to battle-testing our services and infrastructure. But as we prepare for a significant increase in the number of players jumping into Halo Infinite on launch day, December 8th, we want to ensure all our systems are good-to-go. While you may experience some bumps and bugs during this beta period, it does mark the official start of Halo Infinite Season 1, with all day-one maps and modes enabled as well as the full Season 1 Battle Pass. This means all the Battle Pass and customization items you earn or purchase during the beta will stay with you after December 8th.

When you start playing the beta, you will notice in the Battle Pass UI that Season 1 will last from now until May 2022, which is a change from our original goal of shipping a new Season every three months. We made the decision to extend Season 1 to give ourselves more time to ensure Season 2 meets our high quality bar and so we can finish development for Season 2 in a healthy and sustainable way for our team.

Importantly, with the Season 1 extension, we aren’t just stretching-out our original Season 1 plan. Indeed, we took this opportunity to add additional events, customization items and other content to Season 1 to make it an even richer experience from start to finish. For example, starting today and through the first week, you can log-in to Halo Infinite to unlock a free collection of 20th anniversary themed cosmetics. Following this free reward period, the start of our Season 1 opening event, “Fracture: Tenrai”, will kick off on November 23. This will be your first of multiple opportunities to earn Season 1’s samurai-themed armor pieces and other customization items.

In January, after all of you have had a chance to play Halo Infinite’s expansive and adventure-filled campaign starting December 8th, and all of us on the
Halo Infinite team have had an opportunity to recharge our energy shields over the holidays, we will have more details to share about the Season 1 event calendar as well as our Season 2, campaign co-op, and Forge release plans.

Again, sincere thanks to all of you in the Halo community for joining with us to celebrate this 20th anniversary milestone. We are incredibly excited to have reached this first step on our Halo Infinite adventure, and we can’t wait to share more about where your Spartan journey goes from here.

– Joseph Staten, Head of Creative,
Halo Infinite

Last edited:
Found out about the early release a little over two weeks ago and had to keep my mouth shut :( So glad we can all get in and play now!
Nice one. That's a difficult one to keep under wraps.

Loved the digeridoo and gruntal elements in this youth orchestra performance. Also the change at 1.50-ish was pretty awesome then the classic Halo build at 3.30-ish with a Skyrim-esque twist at the end. The change from sunset to night throughout the performance worked immensely well, what a lovely backdrop with Sydney, Australia too. Very well done. Chills and hair raising.

Last edited:
So we don't know what will replace spartan companies at the moment huh
I haven't heard anything. I was thinking it would stay the same and carry over into infinite, but don't really know.

Edit: Reposting this from the other thread on gaming side of any one was curious.

Last edited:
1920x1080_20th_Anniversary_VisID_Rewards-1024x576.jpg

Players who log in to the Halo Infinite MP Beta between Nov. 15-22 will receive free in-game 20th Anniversary cosmetic items.
Any player that logs in during the first week of the MP Beta (Nov. 15 - Nov. 22) will find a handful of goodies awaiting them; no redemption required:
  • Platinum Anniversary Coatings- Color your Spartan, AR, and Warthog (including its variants) in nostalgic shades of Green.
  • I Love Bees Emblems- From a website glimpsed in an early trailer for Halo 2, it lead eagle-eyed players on an adventure: puzzling through webpages, emails, and actor encounters before culminating in an opportunity to play Halo 2 on the big screen before launch.
  • "Assembled" Emblems
  • Blue Team Weapon Charm- John-117’s own fireteam: those he trained with, battled the Covenant with, and who stood by him even when the UNSC did not.
  • Heart Emblem Set- One of our artists took Escharum’s challenge in the Halo Infinite trailer quite literally…
We look forward to sharing all the fun beats we have planned with you in the coming weeks. Now go check out the MP Beta - we’ll see you in the Arena!

Ok so I'm finally playing.

Dude, where the hell are the playlists? There's only like 4 selections, and you basically have to go in and just hope you get the gametype you want?

Marty out here dropping archive Halo video bombs -

The dad in there..."Launch titles that don't SUCK!" What a legend.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

MP's a lot of fun. New weapons are great to tinker with and the new BTB maps have a solid design. But man, is it a good thing they are adjusting challenges and adding another career progression since Battle Pass progress is strict...

A lot of the big Halo Youtubers are speaking out on the lack of content, progression system and bizarre playlist choices.

I agree with all of this. For one, the XP shouldn't be so rigid and you should get rewarded on gameplay
Kills - 10 XP
Oddball / Flag kills - 15 XP
Assists / Vehicle Assists - 5 XP
Objective Scoring - 50 XP
Most Stronghold Captures - 50 XP
Objective Recovery - 10 XP
Multi-kill medal - 5 XP

As for the maps and gametypes, I'm sure the list will grow to staggering numbers. But you have give the players their XP heroine while they wait.

Last edited:
Yep I finally got to play some last night and this morning. In my head I was thinking I'd probably take the Halo 5 req system over what is in this game. It's so bare offerings. Like Hiddenxperia mentioned in his tweet, I played for multiple hours and only just hit level 2. And what's available at level 2? Absolutely nothing. Like there is no options for customization outside of leveling to 80+ or spending money. And leveling is a chore. There's no point in trying to level. I really feel like the customization menu is so boring. It reveals that there is nothing to unlock for levels and levels and levels. So in this case the carrot on a stick isn't going to work lol.

And everyone is spot on with the lack of game type options and maps. Feels like we have 2-3 BTB maps and a couple 4v4 maps. Can't select slayer or objective if you have a preference.

The one caveat in all this is that 343 specifically calls it a beta. So in that respect all of the limited offerings might be intentional and we should expect everything to be fully available and unlocked December. 8th.

Last edited:
Yep I finally got to play some last night and this morning. In my head I was thinking I'd probably take the Halo 5 req system over what is in this game. It's so bare offerings. Like Hiddenxperia mentioned in his tweet, I played for multiple hours and only just hit level 2. And what's available at level 2? Absolutely nothing. Like there is no options for customization outside of leveling to 80+ or spending money. And leveling is a chore. There's no point in trying to level. I really feel like the customization menu is so boring. It reveals that there is nothing to unlock for levels and levels and levels. So in this case the carrot on a stick isn't going to work lol.

And everyone is spot on with the lack of game type options and maps. Feels like we have 2-3 BTB maps and a couple 4v4 maps. Can't select slayer or objective if you have a preference.

The one caveat in all this is that 343 specifically calls it a beta. So in that respect all of the limited offerings might be intentional and we should expect everything to be fully available and unlocked December. 8th.
They should detail the changes that will be coming as soon as possible.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless I'm misreading it or missing something, Staten seems to be saying this is all that's gonna be there at launch on Dec 8.

Of course plans could change between now and then, but I'm not really counting on it.

6k7Jlzy.png

Last edited:

Pretty much more of the same. I don't think it is enough to stop me from playing but it truly is an atrocious system that 343 implemented. And Id also argue it is a bit confusing. When I go to the armory and check out the armors I don't even know what I'm looking at most of the time. It's just a big timeline with minimal information.

When I check out the armor I want to see the helmets together in one spot, the chest pieces together in another room, and everything else together in their respective categories. It makes for simple viewing and a more pleasant experience.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Pretty much in agreement. The core gameplay is great and a lot of the maps are awesome, but I hope they prioritize the new progression system or at least challenge adjustments to make it for launch and don't have to wait till Season 2.

I don't mind 10 maps at launch, that'll change and events should help. But the strict battle pass leveling is holding it back.

In other news there is a free HCS armor coating but you have to go in and purchase it for $0 first. It's the red white and blue coating. Not particularly attractive but it's more interesting than being limited to a solid color only.

I totally get the $10 for a Battle Pass for an Armor Core. I do not like the grind required to earn armor. MCC and even Halo Reach was perfect in these regards. I hope 343 fixes this. I would happily spend money on the MP if it didn't require the grind or rely on me buying boosters..

Last edited:

link1201

Say has there been any mention of a Gametype that will allow you to revive other players. Around the :58 mark of this video it appears to show that and if I remember correctly during the live show a VO stating "on your feet Spartan" or something to that effect.

Just curious if I missed it being discussed. Thanks!

Say has there been any mention of a Gametype that will allow you to revive other players. Around the :58 mark of this video it appears to show that and if I remember correctly during the live show a VO stating "on your feet Spartan" or something to that effect.

Just curious if I missed it being discussed. Thanks!

It's funny - I saw your post and was thinking about it while surfing twitter. Then I see this:

So looks like you're right.

There were a shit ton of things found in the tech test files that are not present in this release. So whatever that revive mode is will probably be something that gets added later (feels like a drinking game now unfortunately...)

Top Bottom