• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

splattered

I'm not saying it's a GREAT thing i just feel like people are blowing out of proportion a bit. I fully believe that they will continue to tweak the model until fans are (somewhat) happy and they are still able to make money on it. I am not personally bothered by them charging money for stuff. I have been playing fortnite with my kids for years now. I buy battlepasses in COD regularly but don't buy the extra special skin packs like rambo etc. I don't get why it's a problem they have a separate $60 campaign as long as it's good? I pretty much think of them as two separate entities now anyway.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People pay $20 in Fortnite for full skins and don't complain.. people just looking for something to bitch about here. Nothing new.

So because a shitty game does something shitty, that means its OK to do the shitty thing here?

No, no it doesn't.

Every Halo game I was able to spend 60 dollars to get a well designed and fun campaign (with co-op) and Multiplayer title. In 3 they added Forge and unique armor unlocks. Then they added Fireteam and fully fledged armor customization with a simple but addictivie progression system. Play the game, do well, level up, earn credits to buy the unlocks. They weren't free, they weren't handed out like candy. All for 60 dollars at launch. Or 20 dollars on sale a couple months post launch.

Now though? Now I can spend 60 dollars and get... a campaign. No co-op until months afte rrelease. No Forge until months after release. No word on Fireteam (unless I missed that). Multiplayer is made "Fee to Play" with all progression based around MTX and designed to promote damaging the player bases enjoyment. I get less than ever before. If this was some random new IP? I wouldn't give a shit. HOwever this is HALO. This is one of the most important IPs in history. It should be treated with some modicum of respect instead of the constant insults that 343 has shown it.

Last edited:
Holy shit how hard is it for this game to just work.... Every single day I'm like I'm gonna jump on for a quick match or two. Then it takes 15-20 minutes just for the game to recognize that I'm not actually offline. Like what in that actual eff... So frustrating.

Also, is it just me or is the theater camera off? I got an overkill and was interested in seeing it again. Rewatched in theater and it looked like I wasn't aiming or hitting anyone lol.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

These MMO/GAAS games and even a few single player games (Kingdom Come Deliverance) get glitchy with the resume feature and need to be reset every now and then. I have to reset MCC every now and then as well, or else it won't load into a match.

Helghan

So because a shitty game does something shitty, that means its OK to do the shitty thing here?

No, no it doesn't.

Every Halo game I was able to spend 60 dollars to get a well designed and fun campaign (with co-op) and Multiplayer title. In 3 they added Forge and unique armor unlocks. Then they added Fireteam and fully fledged armor customization with a simple but addictivie progression system. Play the game, do well, level up, earn credits to buy the unlocks. They weren't free, they weren't handed out like candy. All for 60 dollars at launch. Or 20 dollars on sale a couple months post launch.

Now though? Now I can spend 60 dollars and get... a campaign. No co-op until months afte rrelease. No Forge until months after release. No word on Fireteam (unless I missed that). Multiplayer is made "Fee to Play" with all progression based around MTX and designed to promote damaging the player bases enjoyment. I get less than ever before. If this was some random new IP? I wouldn't give a shit. HOwever this is HALO. This is one of the most important IPs in history. It should be treated with some modicum of respect instead of the constant insults that 343 has shown it.
You really can complain a lot about something so insignificant... Just don't buy it until you feel that there is enough content to justify the $60 price tag. Or don't buy it at all, vote with your wallet.

Another question: how do the weekly challenges work? I'll do them and then they are immediately replaced with new challenges. I thought I would try and unlock that armor coating but gave up. Do I have to have the battle pass to earn the challenge rewards? That is what I was thinking before but now I'm not so sure.

Holy shit how hard is it for this game to just work.... Every single day I'm like I'm gonna jump on for a quick match or two. Then it takes 15-20 minutes just for the game to recognize that I'm not actually offline. Like what in that actual eff... So frustrating.

Also, is it just me or is the theater camera off? I got an overkill and was interested in seeing it again. Rewatched in theater and it looked like I wasn't aiming or hitting anyone lol.
I've been wondering which version is recorded in the theatre mode e.g. you local running what was on screen on the server side feed of what was actually decided in game by the servers.

I've been wondering which version is recorded in the theatre mode e.g. you local running what was on screen on the server side feed of what was actually decided in game by the servers.
Whatever the case it looks horrible. I would never share a clip of me shooting air and random players falling over dead. I guess for comedic purposes lol.

So according to this screenrant article there are around 20 weekly challenges to complete. And after doing 20 challenges you get an ultimate challenge or maybe the ultimate challenge is the 20th challenge. Who knows. But then after completing everything will you finally unlock the weekly challenge reward. The only thing that sucks is that there is no tracker. I have no idea how many challenges I've completed. I did use two swaps to get rid of time consuming challenges. Capture 10 flags? No thanks. Shoot a driver out of a moving vehicle? Doable but it also requires getting the sniper rifle on a map which isn't always a certainty with other players running around. This week's reward is an actually decent coating for the base armor, so I'm really trying to knock it out. It's kind of sad that it takes a random internet article to explain how the weekly challenges work.

"Weekly challenges in Halo Infinite differ in that players can only have three of these challenges (increased to four with the Premium Battle Pass) active at a time, with roughly twenty challenges running each week. These challenges include tasks completed in-game, such as getting assists or getting eliminations with a specific weapon. As weekly challenges are completed, they are removed from the active challenge slot, replaced with a challenge from a list of Upcoming Weekly challenges. Players are able to use consumables called Challenge Swap items to change Halo Infinite's weekly challenges. Once players complete their final weekly challenge of the given week, an Ultimate Challenge is unlocked. Not only does this Ultimate Challenge offer additional experience points, but it also will unlock that week's Ultimate Reward, usually a cosmetic item such as an armor piece. Each week provides a new Ultimate Reward, available for a limited time - that week - and these rewards are separate from the rewards granted from Battle Pass progression."

Last edited:

Helghan

So according to this screenrant article there are around 20 weekly challenges to complete. And after doing 20 challenges you get an ultimate challenge or maybe the ultimate challenge is the 20th challenge. Who knows. But then after completing everything will you finally unlock the weekly challenge reward. The only thing that sucks is that there is no tracker. I have no idea how many challenges I've completed. I did use two swaps to get rid of time consuming challenges. Capture 10 flags? No thanks. Shoot a driver out of a moving vehicle? Doable but it also requires getting the sniper rifle on a map which isn't always a certainty with other players running around. This week's reward is an actually decent coating for the base armor, so I'm really trying to knock it out. It's kind of sad that it takes a random internet article to explain how the weekly challenges work.

Don't you just need to complete all upcoming weekly challenges?

Don't you just need to complete all upcoming weekly challenges?
That's the thing. I have no idea rofl. What are the upcoming weekly challenges. I'm still trying to figure out what is what. When I go into the challenges menu i don't see anything tthat specifies anything.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You really can complain a lot about something so insignificant... Just don't buy it until you feel that there is enough content to justify the $60 price tag. Or don't buy it at all, vote with your wallet.

And you really like to dismiss criticism like it is a problem for you. Just don't respond or place me on ignore if reality is an issue for you.

Last edited:
I'm still seeing a ton of players with the Mark VII. Are there that many players spending that much money? $10 for battle pass. $10 for HCS skins. Plus $75+ to level up to to 96. That's insane.

I'm still seeing a ton of players with the Mark VII. Are there that many players spending that much money? $10 for battle pass. $10 for HCS skins. Plus $75+ to level up to to 96. That's insane.
I'm still kind of confused why the Mk VII helmet is such a high rank unlock? I was under the impression it was gonna be the default starting helmet like Mark V(B) in Reach (they look pretty damn similar too). It's probably my favorite helmet in the game and as it is it's gonna take me an eternity to unlock, because I refuse to dump any money into this. :(

Last edited:

Helghan

That's the thing. I have no idea rofl. What are the upcoming weekly challenges. I'm still trying to figure out what is what. When I go into the challenges menu i don't see anything tthat specifies anything.
When you go to the challenges by clicking on the battle pass and going to the last tab named challenges, there is a key/button to see the upcoming weekly challenges. On the Xbox it's by pressing Y, not sure for PC. There you see a list of all the weekly challenges you need to complete.

When you go to the challenges by clicking on the battle pass and going to the last tab named challenges, there is a key/button to see the upcoming weekly challenges. On the Xbox it's by pressing Y, not sure for PC. There you see a list of all the weekly challenges you need to complete.
It shows a bunch of challenges but then I complete them and the challenges are immediately replaced by new ones. There is no way of knowing if I'm closing to finishing out the challenges. Feels like a never ending process and very random.

Also whoever it was at 343 that had the bright idea to do these fiesta matches on the largest matches possible needs to be shot. I'm sick of these 30 minute battles because no one can find each other.

EDIT: Welp I just kept going with the challenges and eventually, once you're close to getting through them, there will be empty challenge slots (an indication that you've gotten most of them done). I have just one left for this week and hopefully that unlocks the skin. Going to bed though as I'm tired. I'm still considering getting an HCS skin too. It's between Fnatic and Space Station Gaming.

Last edited:

Helghan

It shows a bunch of challenges but then I complete them and the challenges are immediately replaced by new ones. There is no way of knowing if I'm closing to finishing out the challenges. Feels like a never ending process and very random.

Also whoever it was at 343 that had the bright idea to do these fiesta matches on the largest matches possible needs to be shot. I'm sick of these 30 minute battles because no one can find each other.

EDIT: Welp I just kept going with the challenges and eventually, once you're close to getting through them, there will be empty challenge slots (an indication that you've gotten most of them done). I have just one left for this week and hopefully that unlocks the skin. Going to bed though as I'm tired. I'm still considering getting an HCS skin too. It's between Fnatic and Space Station Gaming.
I still have to do 5 challenges, 4 are in the slots, 1 is in the upcoming weekly challenges list. So basically that upcoming weekly challenges list is everything you need to complete.

Would really like to see a response/roadmap this week. Numbers already seem to be dropping and multiple people I've personally talked to have already left the game due to all the issues and I doubt they'll be back.

They can't afford to let all this go until 6 months after the fact or whatever. In fact I'd say they're gonna be in trouble as soon as February if they don't address some of this stuff due to all the games that'll be coming out.

Would really like to see a response/roadmap this week. Numbers already seem to be dropping and multiple people I've personally talked to have already left the game due to all the issues and I doubt they'll be back.

They can't afford to let all this go until 6 months after the fact or whatever. In fact I'd say they're gonna be in trouble as soon as February if they don't address some of this stuff due to all the games that'll be coming out.
The release of the campaign will bring some people back. I'd say best case scenario is that if any changes are gonna happen it will be on December 8th but that's just random guess. I hope 343 i listening to player feedback. That progression/customization system is sooo bad lol. It's almost comical when you rank up and see more rewards that you didn't actually unlock because you don't have the battle pass only it's not...

At a minimum 343 needs add playlist choices. Let's go back to slayer and objective modes. How is that not a thing? So my thinking is still the same. This game was not ready and we are getting everything 343 could scramble to release. This is a "beta." Me thinks the better will be continuing well beyond December 8th. Adding new maps would do wonders too.

My last challenge for the week is to kill the ball carrier. Which is a simple challenge if I could get an oddball match. I have a challenge swap but I'm afraid the swap will give me something ridiculous. Dare I change the challenge? Just need to do some more quick matches and hope oddball comes up.

EDIT: this deserves a share :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Here's my latest annoyance: anyone else feel that the hammer and the sword in Infinite are ridiculous? Combine the shit radar in infinite that might as well not exist, add sprint, plus how long it takes to kill a player with normal weapons, and you have a game that trains everyone to just run around mindlessly with melee weapons, especially in Fiesta. Not only that, but the hammer does damage even if behind whoever is swinging it and that person is facing a completely different direction. I've been killed multiple times from distance, behind the person wielding the hammer and I'm like :pie_expressionless:

That kind of damage should kill the wielder too. I mean i can blow myself up with rockets right?

:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:.................................................................................................................. :pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

EDIT: Ranking system is ass. I think I was one of the top players on my team and often both teams for all but a couple out of 10 games. Had 3 different games with one of my teammates quitting and all 3 games were objective games. Then most of my other games my teammates were completely inept. Put me at Gold 3. Yeah fuck that. I might be done. I was checking the ranks of all the opponents I was playing each match. Most were gold and i just knew it was going to stick me with a gold ranking. I can't help who I'm matched against.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I felt I was playing like ass, barely above 1.0 KD and I ended up on Patinum 2 on Open and Platinum 1 on Controller only.

It's annoying when people drop in ranked matches, because unless it is Slayer only, there is almost no chance for victory and because there is no penalty, people just start dropping out.

y4EbvPy.png

I mean, if you go up 1 level every time you play, you would only need to play 100 or so times to unlock all the battlepass armor. I've found myself leveling up pretty quickly 2-4 levels a playthrough each one being an hour or two.

I mean, if you go up 1 level every time you play, you would only need to play 100 or so times to unlock all the battlepass armor. I've found myself leveling up pretty quickly 2-4 levels a playthrough each one being an hour or two.
I agree that the leveling process is so much quicker, but it still requires battle pass to benefit from most of the unlocks. I'd like to see a change toward offering some general unlocks not behind a paywall. And I know there are some as you level up but they are far and few between.

Haha I love those tea bag designs. I need one or two in my kitchen.

Why do playlists take so long to create? Honestly this should be in the realms of days not weeks or months. They've built a new engine, top priority would have been playlist management. All that time with 4, 5, MCC & Infinite but still haven't learnt to rapidly deploy playlist alterations. FFS.

Why do playlists take so long to create? Honestly this should be in the realms of days not weeks or months. They've built a new engine, top priority would have been playlist management. All that time with 4, 5, MCC & Infinite but still haven't learnt to rapidly deploy playlist alterations. FFS.
I don't know why they needed feedback for this. It's an extremely basic feature that's always been there.
super-smas-brothers-video-game.gif

I try and not be negative but every once in a while I get super annoyed and rant. Today i'm not annoyed but would like to join in with everyone else. I have no idea what 343 is doing. We're talking multiplayer maps, playlists, customization, progression, ranking systsm and the list goes on lol. EPIC FAILURE

Last edited:
Totally agree they're expected modes. When you look at Apex Legends events and the range of what they do it outshines what 343 are doing with Infinite.

I just see more and more of 343 coming hot in terms of development. Another launch missing that killer time where you win your biggest audience.

Last edited:
IDK. I'm starting to think I should just wait a 6-12 months to play this. I did it with the new consoles, I'm doing it with Cyberpunk. Just seems like every single thing is releasing in a fucking unfinished beta state these days.

Sorry, just ranting, but it gets a bit frustrating after a while.

Havoc2049

This FTP experiment with Halo officially sucks ass in my book.

Hopefully launch day changes my mind and there are some nice updates to the multiplayer. A solid campaign will obviously help as well.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Game is not even officially out for 4 more days. Don't compare it to where Apex or some other shit is right now. Apex is out for almost 2 years. MCC is out for over 7 years.

Infinite is free to play. It's not like you can lose anything. If you don't like it just quit and come back when the amount of content is satisfying your sophisticated taste.

I got close to 90 hours of entertainment out of it to date. And there's only more to come.

Top Bottom