• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Happy New Year! I need to balance my negativity with some positivity. I'm afraid that I'm scaring everyone away. This was pretty sweet last night. For the record, I did not stay up for the new year. Had to be at work at 6am which means waking up at 445am.

Happy New Year! I need to balance my negativity with some positivity. I'm afraid that I'm scaring everyone away. This was pretty sweet last night. For the record, I did not stay up for the new year. Had to be at work at 6am which means waking up at 445am.

Lol you're fine, unfortunately the game as it is right now is kinda of a thing where I think the flaws really start revealing themselves after a few weeks of playing. I still stand by my opinion that it's pretty much in a glorified beta state. This month I'd really like to see a roadmap of what they're planning to do.

Lol you're fine, unfortunately the game as it is right now is kinda of a thing where I think the flaws really start revealing themselves after a few weeks of playing. I still stand by my opinion that it's pretty much in a glorified beta state. This month I'd really like to see a roadmap of what they're planning to do.
Yep. They did say that changes were coming "next year," but who knows when that will take place. So one thing that I didn't even know existed is that we can queue for solo/duo or as a team/open playlist in the settings. I may need to change it over to solo and see how that feels. I don' t recall facing off against many full teams but I'm sure there were a few. I think the bigger issue right now are the cheaters. Apparently they're prevalent.

Havoc2049

Happy New Year everyone! I think we are all a little negative at certain aspects of the multiplayer. The multiplayer suite lacks polish and features that have been present in past games. The single player is also a little buggy as well. It stings even more since there was a year long delay. Infinite must of been in a REALLY sorry state a year ago. Thankfully Staten seems to have brought some swagger back to Halo and it seems to be on the right track now. There has already been a quick turn around on some features in multiplayer that the fans wanted.

splattered

I've honestly had more fun with this multiplayer experience than any other MP game in the last 5+ years that i can remember... i mean i have fun with most MP games in general esp playing with friends and family but i just bust out laughing and yelling when i play this. It's just so much fun even when things feel a little frustrating here and there.

Naked Lunch

Flag spotting/display needs reworked. So basically, the flag carrier's location is invisible if you are holding it and no one sees you. If someone sees you, youre spotted for a few seconds. If you sprint with the flag, youre visible to all. If you flag toss/run, youre showing the enemy team where the flag is.

So in the end: Flag spotting of carriers needs to be nixed - its overkill. Theres virtually no advantage to simply carrying the flag in Infinite. Youre going to get spotted, especially on the cramped 4v4 maps. Holding the flag and being sneaky needs to be an option.

Also in One Flag CTF the carrier is displayed to everyone at all times for some reason. Bug?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Flag spotting/display needs reworked. So basically, the flag carrier's location is invisible if you are holding it and no one sees you. If someone sees you, youre spotted for a few seconds. If you sprint with the flag, youre visible to all. If you flag toss/run, youre showing the enemy team where the flag is.

So in the end: Flag spotting of carriers needs to be nixed - its overkill. Theres virtually no advantage to simply carrying the flag in Infinite. Youre going to get spotted, especially on the cramped 4v4 maps. Holding the flag and being sneaky needs to be an option.

Also in One Flag CTF the carrier is displayed to everyone at all times for some reason. Bug?

Isn’t it how it works atm?

"Let’s highlight some changes we’ve made since the initial debut, based on feedback from the community and our own internal goals for how we want these events to operate and evolve.

Where players were only able to progress 7 tiers of their Event Pass in the week of the first Fractures: Tenrai event (November 23-30, 2021), players can now progress 10 tiers per week. By design, you will still have to participate in multiple weeks to obtain everything in the Tenrai Event Pass, but we hope this extra buffer will help expedite progression for highly engaged players.
We recognize the frustration that many players felt where they would have to work through multiple non-Event related Challenges or burn through Challenge Swaps in order to get an Event Challenge to show up in rotation. We felt this too and have made adjustments to ensure that players are always making progress on at least one Event Challenge as well (provided you have active Event Challenges remaining for the week). What this means is that Event Challenges have been tuned to appear in your Challenge rotation sooner and they will have a higher weekly cap (originally 7, now 10).

Further, we also agreed with feedback around the actual content of the Event Pass regarding the amount of Challenge Swaps and XP Grants that made levelling up feel less rewarding. The great thing about these events are the cosmetics, that’s what everybody’s excited about and wants to pursue, so we’ve replaced all XP and Challenge Boosts above Tier 10 onwards with cosmetic items. That’s a total of 11 new cosmetic items that will be available completely free.

Content that was originally slated to be featured as premium offerings in the store for the remaining weeks of this event has now been added to the core free event pass. Please note that no content changes were made from the first week of Fracture: Tenrai – these changes only apply to week two onwards. Any premium store purchases made during week one will remain exclusive to the week one store – they are not being added to the Event Pass."

HIS1MP_Event_Pass_Tenrai_Infographic_2160x2160-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
As I suspected post launch our Halo crew of 15+ strong have already all but dropped Infinite with the exception of myself and 1-2 others. The other 2 are just clearing out campaign achievements and I jump in for the occasional fill of multiplayer with none of my friends really playing PvP at all anymore. Apex Legends continues to be the better Halo game. It has that roaming outdoors terrain with some indoor combat that we loved in previous Halo games and modes. Infinite is just missing that entire "classic" map and modes design that Bungie nailed time and again. We know Max and his team can deliver that but it's the executive push from 343 to again focus on esports or large scale encounters of BTB/Warzone.

The 4v4 maps are far too CQC with clambering everywhere and inherently designed with that core esports style play in quick play, slayer or ranked. The rotations in playlists/matchmaking just never pulls up Behemoth CTF for example. There number of maps around the style of play from Zanzibar, The Pit, Standoff etc just isn't there under 343.

BTB is a shit show, it's chaos. I suspected as much with the increase player count and cluttered map designs. Going in as a 2-4 player fireteam and being forced on international servers much of the time equates to just not wanting to play.

The gameplay/sandbox is solid AF, fun and competitive. Basically everything else in terms of decisions of maps, modes, matchmaking systems etc are antiquated and require polish or reworking. The foundation is there, the game came in HOT HOT HOT. It's really disappointing to be so close but it's really not what I want out of Halo. Friends will ebb in as content drops and flow out just as quick as Infinite doesn't hold the same addictiveness over time the classics do.

Lately I find myself loading up MCC over Infinite. I filter out CE and Reach, sometimes Halo 4 too. The classics are just that good. The map updates given for free on Halo 3 are very well done and play just as good. More of that would have been nice in Infinite instead of being left out again as it was with Halo 5.

I/we have left out AI monitoring a captured FOB requesting campaign coop, PvE modes and a more classic playlist/maps while we play other games.

As I suspected post launch our Halo crew of 15+ strong have already all but dropped Infinite with the exception of myself and 1-2 others. The other 2 are just clearing out campaign achievements and I jump in for the occasional fill of multiplayer with none of my friends really playing PvP at all anymore. Apex Legends continues to be the better Halo game. It has that roaming outdoors terrain with some indoor combat that we loved in previous Halo games and modes. Infinite is just missing that entire "classic" map and modes design that Bungie nailed time and again. We know Max and his team can deliver that but it's the executive push from 343 to again focus on esports or large scale encounters of BTB/Warzone.

The 4v4 maps are far too CQC with clambering everywhere and inherently designed with that core esports style play in quick play, slayer or ranked. The rotations in playlists/matchmaking just never pulls up Behemoth CTF for example. There number of maps around the style of play from Zanzibar, The Pit, Standoff etc just isn't there under 343.

BTB is a shit show, it's chaos. I suspected as much with the increase player count and cluttered map designs. Going in as a 2-4 player fireteam and being forced on international servers much of the time equates to just not wanting to play.

The gameplay/sandbox is solid AF, fun and competitive. Basically everything else in terms of decisions of maps, modes, matchmaking systems etc are antiquated and require polish or reworking. The foundation is there, the game came in HOT HOT HOT. It's really disappointing to be so close but it's really not what I want out of Halo. Friends will ebb in as content drops and flow out just as quick as Infinite doesn't hold the same addictiveness over time the classics do.

Lately I find myself loading up MCC over Infinite. I filter out CE and Reach, sometimes Halo 4 too. The classics are just that good. The map updates given for free on Halo 3 are very well done and play just as good. More of that would have been nice in Infinite instead of being left out again as it was with Halo 5.

I/we have left out AI monitoring a captured FOB requesting campaign coop, PvE modes and a more classic playlist/maps while we play other games.
It's lack of content, that's all it is.The lack of modes, maps, co-op, forge, Firefight, progression system, etc is severely dragging this game down. Not surprised at all people are bailing, going by Steamcharts it's had a pretty dramatic drop since launch.

I find it a little curious that MS hasn't put out any PR about player #s yet. Was fully expecting a "Infinite is the most played Halo ever" post by the end of the year.

It's lack of content, that's all it is.The lack of modes, maps, co-op, forge, Firefight, progression system, etc is severely dragging this game down. Not surprised at all people are bailing, going by Steamcharts it's had a pretty dramatic drop since launch.

I find it a little curious that MS hasn't put out any PR about player #s yet. Was fully expecting a "Infinite is the most played Halo ever" post by the end of the year.

I agree about the content lacking. It's more than that though, it's the decision making. They have a great game on their hands, just the direction around what and how things are implemented needs to change as well when delivery new content. I have no doubt Infinite will/has dropped off, it just doesn't have the systems or content to make it the go to daily played game for myself or XBL friends.

Going crossplay you have to wonder if Infinite achieved the same levels as say Halo 3 players, launch and post launch. In the coming months I'm curious how many go back to MCC vs Infinite. It would make a nice comparison.

PvE content to me was their golden ticket out of this cycle of Halo under 343. It allows them to take fresh approaches in terms of mechanics, curated encounters, dynamism and content drops and more. I'm still really surprised one of the goalposts for Infinite was never Battle Royale or PvE. Again I think this is the biggest mistake under 343, larger than MCC being fucked for years.

Last edited:
I agree about the content lacking. It's more than that though, it's the decision making. They have a great game on their hands, just the direction around what and how things are implemented needs to change as well when delivery new content. I have no doubt Infinite will/has dropped off, it just doesn't have the systems or content to make it the go to daily played game for myself or XBL friends.

Going crossplay you have to wonder if Infinite achieved the same levels as say Halo 3 players, launch and post launch. In the coming months I'm curious how many go back to MCC vs Infinite. It would make a nice comparison.

PvE content to me was their golden ticket out of this cycle of Halo under 343. It allows them to take fresh approaches in terms of mechanics, curated encounters, dynamism and content drops and more. I'm still really surprised one of the goalposts for Infinite was never Battle Royale or PvE. Again I think this is the biggest mistake under 343, larger than MCC being fucked for years.
Oh yeah, the lack of PVE modes is definitely disappointing, especially because unlike Forge we don't even have confirmation Firefight will be coming...

There's so fucking much they can do with that mode it's honestly baffling how little it's been tapped into.

Last edited:
I do find myself thinking about going back to MCC from time to time. CE is still my favorite and when I'm playing matches online in MCC it doesn't feel like encounters are a random toss of the dice. At least in CE the game is responsive to my input and I know exactly what I'm going to get out of it. In Infinite far too often I feel like I lose 1v1's not due to mistakes but due a lot of randomness in the game. I dunno. I like Infinite but it needs some work too.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I stopped playing because desync problem became so severe. Like others have mentioned it’s more often than not a game of chance and I just hate being killed through the walls and other cover.

Naked Lunch

I think alot of the 'game of chance' comes down to the design of the maps themselves. Almost all of them are so cramped but with so many entry ways to every spot - there is zero room for error. If you make one tiny fuckup, or didnt account for the enemy at that third doorway, youre screwed and you lose. You have to make decisions so quickly in Infinite. Sometimes youre able to somehow manage all of that properly during the chaos, but when you cant, it becomes frustrating.

I feel like the core Infinite gameplay is good and is true to Halo - but I think a different style of map more open, more room to breathe like Longshore or High Ground would make Infinite play so differently.

I stopped playing because desync problem became so severe. Like others have mentioned it’s more often than not a game of chance and I just hate being killed through the walls and other cover.

I'd never play online if I worried about this too much. I get the same in Apex or Halo, I do agree it can get severe in Infinite. Some game your bullets just don't seem to register really.

I think alot of the 'game of chance' comes down to the design of the maps themselves. Almost all of them are so cramped but with so many entry ways to every spot - there is zero room for error. If you make one tiny fuckup, or didnt account for the enemy at that third doorway, youre screwed and you lose. You have to make decisions so quickly in Infinite. Sometimes youre able to somehow manage all of that properly during the chaos, but when you cant, it becomes frustrating.

I feel like the core Infinite gameplay is good and is true to Halo - but I think a different style of map more open, more room to breathe like Longshore or High Ground would make Infinite play so differently.

Completely agree. You play Behemoth CTF and all of a sudden things click really well with Infinite. The BTB maps are too cluttered for vehicles though. The old school clean maps were just so much better e.g. The Pit or Standoff. Great for slayer and objective. I don't think there has been a single map from 343 in all of their games that hits that tier of map design for encounter flows, map movement etc. It's all twitch esports McDonalds instant gratification bullshit firmly and always centred on go with your team and mic comms always if you want a shot at winning.

Naked Lunch

It's all twitch esports McDonalds instant gratification bullshit firmly and always centred on go with your team and mic comms always if you want a shot at winning.
Ive seen you post similar thoughts about Infinite and H5 in the past and the more ive played and analyzed both of those Halos, the more I see what youre talking about. It leans far too heavy into esports coms play.

Have you ever listened to coms in a "professional" Halo match? Its absolute dorkfest calling out all locations at all times - the players sound like a panicked mess - they dont even have time to take a breath. I will never play Halo to that extreme. Sure, I call locations here and there - but my core group of friends never have in our 20 years of playing the series.

These maps as theyre designed almost require those type of coms to be consistent. Im not necessarily calling these current Infinite maps bad or poorly designed - they just have that frantic play im not always looking for in Halo. Hopefully they give us maps with more classic Halo flow.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
So played a lot more fo the Multiplayer the last few days and yea it had a ton of potential but goddamn I couldn't agree more with complaints leveled at the game.

My biggest issues include the desync, lack of collision, lack of damage feedback on vehicles, and vehicle physics. Those 3 alone just make me not want to play.

I've been killed behind walls and around corners so much by weapons that shouldn't be able to do that. I've had tons of multi round clipping matches with both of us clipping through each other in melee fights, and the vehicles feel like toys. They're beyond light weight feeling and handle like shit. Also so fun just having your vehicle suddenly explode when you thought it had a bit more life. I've also run up to many vehicles thinking they are functioning only for them not to be. These are an insane step back from every single other Halo game made.

Last edited:
Ive seen you post similar thoughts about Infinite and H5 in the past and the more ive played and analyzed both of those Halos, the more I see what youre talking about. It leans far too heavy into esports coms play.

Have you ever listened to coms in a "professional" Halo match? Its absolute dorkfest calling out all locations at all times - the players sound like a panicked mess - they dont even have time to take a breath. I will never play Halo to that extreme. Sure, I call locations here and there - but my core group of friends never have in our 20 years of playing the series.

These maps as theyre designed almost require those type of coms to be consistent. Im not necessarily calling these current Infinite maps bad or poorly designed - they just have that frantic play im not always looking for in Halo. Hopefully they give us maps with more classic Halo flow.

The best Halo ever was, and factually the most popular it ever was, is when Halo 3 multiplayer "classic" default slayer/ranked, objective (just flag and bomb really) and BTB were the triangle cornerstone of matchmaking. Those H2/H3 maps, modes and gameplay weren't esports focused at all. Those modes were always more popular for the silent masses ranging from casually pick up a Halo game to hardcore friends partied up to get it a real go over MLG/HCS playlists.

Yes I tune in to pro games/events every now and again, I used to checkout the old school players like Papa Walshy, Snipedown, Ogre Twins etc. I might pop in for a finals event or to check on some casting by our local Aussie GAF caster or Brav etc. Overall I don't watch for very long. I don't play those playlists for very long either. The issue is just as you describe; constant comms so all players have all information all the time. A coach is required even. The maps are built around rapid fire engagements; rinse and repeat in a limited sandbox too. Now that is wonderful for the esports scene, it's a great events series in North America and it does "level" the playing field so the best teams and players win. That said, I've been up against players that out slay me/us 3 or 4 to 1, no doubt far more skilled twitch shooter players and just stomp on MLG maps of past Halo games e.g. players from Australia that went to USA MLG tournies and placed just outside the top 20. You know what happens when our ragtag bunch of "fun and competitive" players go into "classic" Halo against them? We can still win despite it not being our jobs. We handle terrain better, use vehicles better, objective strats on maps that aren't sports focused etc. They'll complain about the imbalance 1 out of 10 times they cannot kill us based on a "level" playing field etc.

Personally I've never understood why "default classic Halo" wasn't ever good enough to just be the esports version. Recent games in esports handle it just fine e.g. Apex Legends.

The issue is this esports focus isn't what the masses want out of Halo. We've had Reach with rank resets, we've seen Halo 4 be sustained for years into what esports fan segments wanted and Halo 5 with full development including pro teams part of 343 staff to form Breakout modes and huge esports focus for all of matchmaking to still fall by the way side in terms of mass appeal. Why? It isn't what the masses want to play. Battle Royal has evolved the arena genre to where the masses have more "to do" than just out slay each other on maps that require a pro level practiced team to deliver their A-game every game. I want the movement, weapons and balance of the key sandbox from the esports crowd to be part of the core development; that is a good thing for Halo. I want them to have their modes and events and prize money etc. I do NOT want to play that limited maps/sandbox as the "main" part of Halo. To me the drop off in populations from Halo 4, 5 & Infinite clearly signals this to be true. The same goes for Battle Royale games vs Arena games. Eventually the highly skilled shun players from the matchmaking systems. If you're not on point with every current meta, glitch, exploit and more then you and your team are FUBAR. Who wants that when you're having a drink playing with mates? Less and less do over time.

IMO 343 missed their biggest opportunity by not going back to "classic" Halo maps and encounter flows. They went esports again, even after Halo 5 investing so much and not having the sustained population for years; let alone increasing the population. 343 has delivered a wonderfully fun and competitive experience with Infinite's sandbox. They've fucked themselves over with most other elements e.g. maps, matchmaking systems, UI, story, F2P economy etc.

Bungie always understood MLG was a very vocal and dominant segment of Halo but it should never overrun Halo to be the default experience. 343 haven't learnt from their mistakes and I fear Infinite is just a repeat of Halo 5. New maps, new content, new PvE modes etc could all turn that around or grow Infinite into something far more sustainable long term. The current version of Infinite isn't that Bungie mantra of "it's gotta be fun the 1000th time you play it". None of Infinite's matchmaking options have that level of durability in their fun as yet. Infinite has split between hypercompetitive or chaotic mess (esports vs BTB), which is just what Halo 5 did.

After 6 years I expected more from Infinite.

So played a lot more fo the Multiplayer the last few days and yea it had a ton of potential but goddamn I couldn't agree more with complaints leveled at the game.

My biggest issues include the desync, lack of collision, lack of damage feedback on vehicles, and vehicle physics. Those 3 alone just make me not want to play.

I've been killed behind walls and around corners so much by weapons that shouldn't be able to do that. I've had tons of multi round clipping matches with both of us clipping through each other in melee fights, and the vehicles feel like toys. They're beyond light weight feeling and handle like shit. Also so fun just having your vehicle suddenly explode when you thought it had a bit more life. I've also run up to many vehicles thinking they are functioning only for them not to be. These are an insane step back from every single other Halo game made.

One of the most skilled players in our group of "shooter" friends is a mirror of what you're posting. Hyped for Infinite, pissed about the esports focus again, refuses to play due to region/server support issues and cannot stand playing due to desync, shot rego, cheaters etc. He keeps saying I'm waiting for updates.

Totally agree about the vehicles in Infinite too, they're really light and just have weird physics. During campaign I just avoided them for the most part, I hated all the little things you'd flip or get stuck on etc. The same goes in BTB, the maps just aren't designed as well as Bungie days in terms of vehicular combat. +1 for running up to vehicles that appear to be in working order still. Just another refinement/rush aspect of this game coming in hot.

Last edited:

In other news I hit 90 today. I was playing some fiesta and it took 3 games to spawn with a heat rifle for my challenge and 4 game just to spawn with a rocket launcher lol. Ended up having a fun time regardless but I agree with all the different issues brought up today. I look forward to seeing what 343 does next. It's clear there are some serious network issues among a lot of other issues. I'd like to see those fixed, the playlist options increased, a better ranking system and some new maps.

Last edited:

Jebron

I completely agree. I'm really trying to enjoy Infinite multiplayer but it just ain't happenin'. I feel like I'm forcing myself to play it at this point. It sucks because Halo Infinite was my most anticipated title in a LONG time, the only game I'm really enjoying on my Series X at this point is FH 5.

The unlock/battlepass and micro-transaction system are such massive turn-off's as well, I fucking hate the challenge system. Until that is fixed I really don't see myself playing much.

Yep

Oh I've been waiting for this...

Sweet I'll check it out later when I'm trying to fall asleep with covid. Not being sarcastic. I tested positive and feel like I have had a really bad sinus infection for days. Very annoying.

EDIT: who am i kidding? I went ahead and watched it. I could have done without as much of the profanity, even though I'm guilty of yelling obscenities on neogaf when i'm angry lol, but his analysis was 100% spot on. He judged every aspect of the game fairly and was not afraid to unload on 343. What they did with the customization and cosmetics is a an absolute embarrassment. I don't think anybody at 343 checks neogaf out anymore, but they should be completely ashamed of their game as a live service vision. People didn't mind Halo 5 because it was still possible to unlock everything without paying and there was still a progression system. Infinite scrapped all of that for moneyhatting.

Last edited:
Yep

Sweet I'll check it out later when I'm trying to fall asleep with covid. Not being sarcastic. I tested positive and feel like I have had a really bad sinus infection for days. Very annoying.

EDIT: who am i kidding? I went ahead and watched it. I could have done without as much of the profanity, even though I'm guilty of yelling obscenities on neogaf when i'm angry lol, but his analysis was 100% spot on. He judged every aspect of the game fairly and was not afraid to unload on 343. What they did with the customization and cosmetics is a an absolute embarrassment. I don't think anybody at 343 checks neogaf out anymore, but they should be completely ashamed of their game as a live service vision. People didn't mind Halo 5 because it was still possible to unlock everything without paying and there was still a progression system. Infinite scrapped all of that for moneyhatting.

Joe's an acquired taste but he's an OG, and usually extremely hard on games. Frankly I'm kinda surprised the final score wasn't lower, lol. But I think his enjoyment of the campaign salvaged it, cuz like he said if he was just reviewing the multiplayer he would've completely buried it due to the live service/monetization fuckery.

Joe's an acquired taste but he's an OG, and usually extremely hard on games. Frankly I'm kinda surprised the final score wasn't lower, lol. But I think his enjoyment of the campaign salvaged it, cuz like he said if he was just reviewing the multiplayer he would've completely buried it due to the live service/monetization fuckery.
I think this is like most of us. The gameplay just made it a fun and solid game. Most of the other elements fall to average TBH. A quick checklist of how I feel after having a month with the game -
  • Gameplay 9.5/10, doesn't even need to be talked about. It's that good from weapons to enemies and equipment combined with lite-RPG. NAILED IT. Vehicles combined with cluttered maps in PvP/campaign suck though.
  • Bosses 7.5/10. They were solid and had some variety but not to the levels of Halo 2 boss encounters where mechanics and environments were fleshed out as part of the boss battle. 343 miss everything around the boss being part of that "boss sandbox".
  • Audio 8.5/10, to me multiplayer isn't aware enough, APEX does it better. The OST and campaign immersion with audio is amazing though.
  • Graphics 8.5/10, there is still that washed out look to campaign, multiplayer looks great. PvP visuals are a too "noisy" e.g. shield flares and outlines etc.
  • Story 4/10, handwaving snooze fest with little creativity TBH. In mere days I could write far more interesting Halo events for the mainline games. Party chats with mates have ideas better than the last 2 out of 343.
  • Campaign environments 5/10, the bases were interesting and enable lots of ways to play but capture FOB, fast travel, kill something, push too many buttons and repeat doesn't really have me wanting to playthrough the campaign again. I will load up the world but it would be nice if they had kill missions and areas being taken back after the end game, so you don't have to restart a new save. Destiny does this better, I'm surprised how they've handled the end game. There was no variation to the biomes or structures really, the main story bases changed configuration enough and are clearly curated quite well in terms of enemies and engagement etc but there isn't time spent with new assets, weather, terrain, vehicles skins to suit differing environments etc. They really should have looked to CE/2 far more for that lovely traversal of Halo rings and environments.
  • Coop, 0/10. No splitscreen, no online coop and generally unless they release a massive unseen portion of the game e.g. PvE strikes/raids/campaign DLC there isn't much that has me wanting to go back and play campaign. I have zero interesting in seeing and doing exactly what I did solo and listening to speeches in cutscenes with friends that want to skip them too. I hope 343 have an ace in the hole for coop in the months to come. I fear it's just coop on the exact campaign we played already and it's really not going to breathe any new life into replays if that's the case.
  • AI 8/10, solid but really goes to gameplay. There isn't any innovation here. 343/MS/Azure could have really built a single universe type system for campaign or had a "living world" where the AI is moving bases and reacting to what you're doing e.g. you choose to go to A they retake B or build a new base at C or found a new tech while you captured a base etc. The AI engagements are rewarding and very solid work there but no innovation in terms of a campaign. Firefight is also missing or say a new mode where AI is present during PvP e.g. Titanfall marines.
  • Characters 5/10, 343 wiped the deck in the worst way possible. It's pretty cheap and while The Weapon was very well done, so was Cortana as always. The Pilot got annoying by the end of the campaign and the enemy bosses really didn't have any presence like say the Prophets or Gravemind. Having the Banished again was not to my tastes, why they didn't just deliver the Endless in game in the last act or Atriox is beyond me. The progress of character's stories was quite little outside of the 2 sidekicks. The game equates to fuck blue team, fuck Cortana, fuck you for investing in Halo 20 years and we talked about a bunch of stuff you never got to play during this campaign.
  • Game engine 5/10, given what next gen engines are capable of and the hype around Series X power at launch there should be a higher bar. Especially when you talk about PC releases as well, this game should push into the realms of Star Citizen systems, Destiny 2 art and Spidey/Ratchet & Clank image quality. It doesn't. There's missing elements from interactive environments to in engine systems e.g. what happened to a warthog reacting to a surface like CE's ice slide. It's the simple things that go so far in game which the engine enables developers to deliver. The scale appears to be what they were driving and 60 fps @ 4K. Given the in engine reveal 343 dished out I don't think the final game release engine lives up expectations. There's also little innovation in terms of what we see in game or mechanics.
  • Forge, custom games & games browser 0/10. It ain't there and we haven't seen anything.
  • Roadmap 3/10, most games such as Fortnite or APEX or Warzone or Destiny 2 have clear roadmaps for changes, upgrades, news, content drops, seasons etc. Having a 6 months wait post launch for a lacklustre season is painful and points to the rushed/troubled development of Infinite. 343 not having this planned to sustain a launch run of say 3 monthly drops and the first 12 months pretty well communicated about what's new dropping is poor form. Instead they're still playing catch up across Forge, coop, tweaks/fixes etc. This should be planned and executed better, they should be pushing content that is mature to the levels of 2nd or 3rd year seen from Sea of Thieves or Apex Legends for example. 343 have been around the block enough to know what AAA takes to deliver at launch and what is successful post launch. The roadmap should have been forward thinking and built out as part of the launch year, not catch up on standard release features.
  • Multiplayer 5.5/10, I just cannot see past fuck ups like no region/server filters, esports maps or chaotic BTB split and overall an incomplete Halo experience. It can become a 9/10 but it has massive changes to matchmaking, maps and decision making at 343 within the next 1-2 years. We'll see what becomes of it, but as it stands right now it's not a multiplayer I'll invest my time into heavily. I'm already back playing Apex instead, so are my friends.
  • UI 6/10, the campaign interactive world map is good to great. The PvE menus, customisations, battle pass and stability are all shit, this side of it is utter garbage. Menus aren't contextual, you're constantly backing out of things you want to do, feel like you're searching for this, menus crash/load poorly, the post game stats are fucking shit...massive step backwards.

Last edited:
Not much here but 343 believes they have a fix to the BTB issues (soon) and are also working on some anti-cheat measures to be implemented mid-February.

Hey everyone, happy new year! Hope everyone had a safe and awesome holiday break.

The 343 Team is largely back in action this week and I know many of you are very eager to get some updates on a number of topics. We are working on a broader info update and driving towards being able to share more details and a roadmap to help answer your questions and manage expectations.
That exercise is going to take some time to flesh out but please know it’s in process - there’s just a lot to dig into and it’s a rather complicated web of work items / dependencies / priorities, etc… so we want to be sure to share informed, accurate information.

In the meantime, we want to first and foremost provide a situation update on the state of BTB in Halo Infinite. As you know, we’ve been dealing with some frustrating issues with BTB nearly since launch and despite a few attempts at solving and mitigating before the holiday break, we were not able to get this fixed. While BTB has remained playable, there are matchmaking issues that increase with more players and larger fireteams have a low chance of successfully joining into a game together.

A strike force continued to work on this over the break and we’re optimistic to say we believe we have a fix in hand for the core issue. This went into QA last week and so far it’s looking positive - we are not seeing this issue occur internally using this build.

Next steps are to continue testing and then move into the certification process as we prepare to release a hot fix / patch for this issue. It’s a little too soon to give an ETA yet but please know our goal is to release this as soon as we can while ensuring it doesn’t have any other unintended impact to the retail product. It won’t be this week, but we hope it’s not too much further out and we’ll share an update as soon as we have line of sight on a release date (once we clear ‘cert’ we are then ready to ship).

We know there are a number of other topics you’re eager to hear about - including some issues with instances of cheating. The team has been working on a patch for mid-Feb that looks to address this and other things, and we’ll have more details to come as we get closer to release. We are actively triaging and still working to get as much as we can into this Feb update while still ensuring no negative impacts or regressions to other parts of the game.

For now we are opting to slipstream the BTB fixes given the broad scope of impact on all players. That’s not to say issues like cheating or wonkiness with the ranked experience aren’t important, but they have other dependencies and are on a bit longer timeline than this BTB fix which is nearly ready to go.

Thank you for your patience and continued support. While we were blown away and humbled by the reception and launch of Halo Infinite, we’ve got a lot to get after now as a live service studio. We will continue to make improvements and address feedback everywhere we can - though some things are going to take more time than many of you, and us, would like. Thank you - please keep the feedback coming - we’re in this together with a great foundation to grow and evolve upon. Stay tuned for more details.

Last edited:
Not much here but 343 believes they have a fix to the BTB issues (soon) and are also working on some anti-cheat measures to be implemented mid-February.

Ugh, they keep saying these things like it's gonna take work, gonna take time, etc... and I get that but dude, the 2022 game deluge is gonna start very soon. They're going to have massive competition before they know it, and that's to say nothing of the fact that there's a monster waiting for them at the end of the year in the form of MW2 which is most likely going to just destroy everything (assuming Activision doesn't collapse by then...) Would have really liked to at least seen a roadmap by now but it sounds like they're still working on that too? IMO it should've been ready to go at this point, cuz as I said the honeymoon phase is over and it would've at least shown some people why they should stick around.

Last edited:

Cheaters rampant for another month at least. PC optimisation given the middle finger. No mention of desync. No mention of region/server selection, fucking joke still. Didn't even take out BTB challenges, why they haven't developed their slipspace engine/system so sustain staff literally have app controls to just tick box such trivial things as challenges is beyond me. The next season is going to be an interesting one. Is it just actually the polish the game needed or will they deliver new content such as maps, modes, coop more than just the existing campaign etc? My gut tells me this thing is a hot mess and they're struggling post launch.

Last edited:
Cheaters rampant for another month at least. PC optimisation given the middle finger. No mention of desync. No mention of region/server selection, fucking joke still. Didn't even take out BTB challenges, why they haven't developed their slipspace engine/system so sustain staff literally have app controls to just tick box such trivial things as challenges is beyond me. The next season is going to be an interesting one. Is it just actually the polish the game needed or will they deliver new content such as maps, modes, coop more than just the existing campaign etc? My gut tells me this thing is a hot mess and they're struggling post launch.
If I had to guess I think the first 6 month will be spent polishing, then after that new content. It's just frustrating because this is supposed to be a live service with an engine that's been modified to make changes/content delivery easier, yet it still seems like it's gonna be a struggle, just like in Halo 5.

Honestly, if anyone asked me if they should play this right now I'd likely say to just hold off until holiday, or play the free multi at most (without spending any $$$).

Last edited:
If I had to guess I think the first 6 month will be spent polishing, then after that new content. It's just frustrating because this is supposed to be a live service with an engine that's been modified to make changes/content delivery easier, yet it still seems like it's gonna be a struggle, just like in Halo 5.

Honestly, if anyone asked me if they should play this right now I'd likely say to just hold off until holiday, or play the free multi at most (without spending any $$$).
Considering the launch of just campaign, esports 4v4 and BTB with so much left out it's pretty damning against 343 and their development woes with each game release. It's not unreasonable from the player perspective to assume little has been learned or planned well going forward around the new engine/pipeline. Factually less has been delivered. After MCC how this studio bombs another 6 years development is just infuriating to think about. To have a brilliant underlying game not realised to its full potential and not looking like it will be for another 6-18 months is even more infuriating.

I've said the studio decision makers needed a shake up before, when I ask myself that question now with Infinite post launch I find myself still answering yes they need a restructure. The story, the engine, the missing elements, the cheaters, the Q&A etc. Honestly I really thought they'd pull through after the last 10+ years of 343. I'm not sure I really have it in me to stick around for things to develop with Halo. They've abandoned classic Halo for 2 major releases in a row now. I have no interest in the story they're telling, the multiplayer is reminiscent of going for your 50 on USA servers from 15 years ago and the MCC flash backs of parties and lobbies not working forcing game restarts is PTSD inducing.

Probably a little harsh but the more I look at Infinite or try to play it the more I just play Apex with friends or MCC solo instead.

Last edited:
Considering the launch of just campaign, esports 4v4 and BTB with so much left out it's pretty damning against 343 and their development woes with each game release. It's not unreasonable from the player perspective to assume little has been learned or planned well going forward around the new engine/pipeline. Factually less has been delivered. After MCC how this studio bombs another 6 years development is just infuriating to think about. To have a brilliant underlying game not realised to its full potential and not looking like it will be for another 6-18 months is even more infuriating.

I've said the studio decision makers needed a shake up before, when I ask myself that question now with Infinite post launch I find myself still answering yes they need a restructure. The story, the engine, the missing elements, the cheaters, the Q&A etc. Honestly I really thought they'd pull through after the last 10+ years of 343. I'm not sure I really have it in me to stick around for things to develop with Halo. They've abandoned classic Halo for 2 major releases in a row now. I have no interest in the story they're telling, the multiplayer is reminiscent of going for your 50 on USA servers from 15 years ago and the MCC flash backs of parties and lobbies not working forcing game restarts is PTSD inducing.

Probably a little harsh but the more I look at Infinite or try to play it the more I just play Apex with friends or MCC solo instead.
I've been saying leadership needs a shakeup for ages now... frankly one of the main reasons I still have a little bit of hope is Staten, because he actually knows what he's doing. Ideally he would replace the people who are higher above him.

As for playing other things, yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing until 343 gets their shit together. Like I was saying it's not like there's gonna be any shortage of other stuff to play this year.

I only play fiesta. I'm not interested in getting annoyed at trying to rank up anymore and big team battle never loads.

We need more maps too. The current ones are already starting to feel stale.

Havoc2049

Ya, just like Halo 5, none of these maps are memorable enough to make a greatest hits map pack, IMO.

That Angry Joe review is very honest and spot on. Infinite is in a very love/hate state right now. Fingers crossed that 343 has their act together for a steady content flow, because the game needs it in a bad way.

Anyways, fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Another look at Kelly's new armor. Weird how hard Blue Team's being pushed in the merch yet they're nowhere to be found in the actual game. I think they're either gonna be in DLC or plans changed and they were cut from the main game (or both?)

rk8XrgO.jpg

Naked Lunch

Im sure yall know - but if you set up a custom game and add bots - they have all kinds of armor not unlockable or shown up in the store yet. Theres a Halo 1 (Mark V?) kinda helmet that looks pretty awesome. From the leaks it looks like thats coming in a February event.

I agree with the general points of many of the recent posts here - you guys still skew a bit too negative in my view though. Im still having a blast with multiplayer. The gameplay thats there is really top tier. The actual shooting and moving. I tried playing things like BF2042 and the gunplay is night and day different (worse). I wish it played more like Halo 3 but whats there is still really damn good. I find sometimes I get in the zone in Infinite and im untouchable - its like im seeing the game in slow motion or something busting out overkills - doesnt happen often though :messenger_relieved:

My beef with Infinite is needing more content particularly lots more maps - which it will, its just waiting sucks. Its tough competing/comparing Infinite with the MCC and its 10+ years worth of game content and map selection. Infinite could really turn into something special with the right variety of maps.

Another look at Kelly's new armor. Weird how hard Blue Team's being pushed in the merch yet they're nowhere to be found in the actual game. I think they're either gonna be in DLC or plans changed and they were cut from the main game (or both?)

Smells like coop skins.

Im sure yall know - but if you set up a custom game and add bots - they have all kinds of armor not unlockable or shown up in the store yet. Theres a Halo 1 (Mark V?) kinda helmet that looks pretty awesome. From the leaks it looks like thats coming in a February event.

I agree with the general points of many of the recent posts here - you guys still skew a bit too negative in my view though. Im still having a blast with multiplayer. The gameplay thats there is really top tier. The actual shooting and moving. I tried playing things like BF2042 and the gunplay is night and day different (worse). I wish it played more like Halo 3 but whats there is still really damn good. I find sometimes I get in the zone in Infinite and im untouchable - its like im seeing the game in slow motion or something busting out overkills - doesnt happen often though :messenger_relieved:

My beef with Infinite is needing more content particularly lots more maps - which it will, its just waiting sucks. Its tough competing/comparing Infinite with the MCC and its 10+ years worth of game content and map selection. Infinite could really turn into something special with the right variety of maps.

I do come off quite negative. That's the effects of having decades of USA hosted Halo games to just get the same again with Infinite. No player is wanting devs to choose servers for them when games like Apex just let you choose servers, as do many PC games by default. It tarnishes the whole game to constantly see the worst aspects of the matchmaking, skill matching and engine latency smoke'n'mirrors in your battles. I'd play more ranked if more Aussies were on, they're not going to be on when 9-10 games are internationally hosted and player/party choice is removed. It's a double edged sword. I got into Diamond easily enough and the BS I'm dealing with from latency and cheaters is just too much to want to play and grind your way up. Roll into that the maps and my mantra of esports taking away classic Halo and it's just why my friends don't play. I'm not grinding out randoms matchmaking on international games. I did that shit in Halo 3 enough for 50s across a bunch of playlists.

You're spot on about the content, Infinite is "Infinite-lite" right now and it shows. Their underlying game is fucking aces, best Halo yet in terms of movement and gunplay. No doubt. The sandbox of weapons needs tweaking, why they altered the Commando from the beta is pure esports feedback stupidity if you ask me. Maps like Behemoth need to have time invested in terms of design, development and matchmaking air time. Less esports and clambering everywhere with firefights around every damned corner. They can bring so much, whether they make the "right decisions" remains to be seen. A real PvE mode can bring so much and a massive population, I'm guessing they don't want to splinter their PvP population, knowing what Halo 4 and 5 did months after launch. This is also likely part of the reason we're seeing seasonal content for things that were always there is previous releases. It's also why Battle Royale games have razor focus on their maps and playlists, keep em loading fast.

As for comparison with MCC, it's not just the content and maps. The systems in MCC are just better in many ways e.g. UI is cleaner, unlocks are simple, custom games browser, server filters (albeit they still fucked up removing down to one Aussie region and forcing international + Aussie selection resulting in international games most of the time again), skins that are fun/more value, the gameplay of things like Halo 2 zanzibar or Halo 3 avalance or Halo 3 The Pit are pinnacle Halo still and stability of the experience (after all the MCC fiasco).

Last edited:
I see a lot of people wanting a proper 1-50 ranking system when I peruse Twitter and other sites. To be honest I would be absolutely okay with that. I hate a system that puts you in a tier it thinks you should be in based on limited data and the random people it puts you against when doing placement matches. It just doesn't feel right. I know 343 is in love with their bronze though onyx tiers. maybe they can do both? Get tired of grinding for diamond or onyx, jump into 1-50. I made it to plat 4 a while back, took a break, and haven't resumed the grind as it was like beating my head against a wall. I know I'll never be onyx unless I played regularly every day and had a team that I was playing with. But I would like to hit diamond even if it is just diamond 1. The fact that the game placed me at gold 3 really made me butt hurt.

EDIT: Went ahead and jumped back into some ranked games because why not. Progress toward Plat 5 was probably around 40%. Took 5 games. 3 CTF and 2 Slayer. No losses, but 1 CTF game ended up in a tie. Probably the least painful level I've ever had. Next up is Plat 6. If I ever get some more motivation.

Last edited:
Was on twitter again and saw this. Going through the thread of course there are people that are like omg he shouldn't be that high or he's fine right where he is, but the point is that no one should win 16 games and get nothing out of it. If the game is too stupid to match better players that's not his fault. But clearly the game is matching him with comparable players, so it just exposes how terrible 343's ranking system continues to be. My gripe is that wins aren't counting enough, because even if you're the best player out of both teams and completely dominate, if you don't win the game you don't get shit. So which is it? Wins? Contribution? What a terrible system.

Last edited:
Was on twitter again and saw this. Going through the thread of course there are people that are like omg he shouldn't be that high or he's fine right where he is, but the point is that no one should win 16 games and get nothing out of it. If the game is too stupid to match better players that's not his fault. But clearly the game is matching him with comparable players, so it just exposes how terrible 343's ranking system continues to be. My gripe is that wins aren't counting enough, because even if you're the best player out of both teams and completely dominate, if you don't win the game you don't get shit. So which is it? Wins? Contribution? What a terrible system.

While I agree their ranking system needs to be transparent around the calculations behind it I doubt that player is a good representation of what the masses experience. He's top tier already, even within Onyx.

Where does he think he's ranking up to? Being the top of the heap means you have further to fall not go up.

Naked Lunch

Maybe im misunderstanding - but I thought the point of Infinite's ranking is just to try to keep you with players of your skill level, not to go up a numerical value like something like Battlefield. I keep telling this to friends but they still keep getting pissed they arent leveling up.

I do come off quite negative. That's the effects of having decades of USA hosted Halo games to just get the same again with Infinite. No player is wanting devs to choose servers for them when games like Apex just let you choose servers, as do many PC games by default. It tarnishes the whole game to constantly see the worst aspects of the matchmaking, skill matching and engine latency smoke'n'mirrors in your battles. I'd play more ranked if more Aussies were on, they're not going to be on when 9-10 games are internationally hosted and player/party choice is removed. It's a double edged sword. I got into Diamond easily enough and the BS I'm dealing with from latency and cheaters is just too much to want to play and grind your way up. Roll into that the maps and my mantra of esports taking away classic Halo and it's just why my friends don't play. I'm not grinding out randoms matchmaking on international games. I did that shit in Halo 3 enough for 50s across a bunch of playlists.
Interesting about USA hosted games - and not being able to select. Im in the US so I didnt realize it was an issue. I think I remember Halo 5 or MCC not allowing people select server regions for a long time as well for whatever reason - didnt they eventually allow for selection?

Just in general Ozzy, I appreciate your indepth replies. Some of your recent ones were responses to some of my points, but I didnt have much to add - still I appreciate reading your perspective. A few posts back, your thoughts on that Halo 3 allowed for lesser skilled, non-esports peeps standing a chance in H3 BTB were pretty spot on. I think your explanation sums up why my core of friends quit the series with Halo 5. In the Halo 2-4 days I played with a group of friends who are lesser skilled Haloers but didnt lack the drive and will to try to win every game and sometimes we pulled it off against better players using stuff like the warthogs and constant flag running pressure. In contrast to H3 BTB, Infinite BTB goes more towards all out chaos rather than at least some type of structure and flow. Im not sure how that will work out in the longrun and could end up being more frustrating than fun. I hope they rethink some of their design choices for the mode.

I know during prelaunch there were many posts hoping their wouldnt be any older Halo map remakes in Infinite, but I think I would like to see a few to see how they play with Infinite's gameplay. The staples Avalanche, Valhalla (yes again), Zanzibar, Longshore, High Ground - stuff like that.

While I agree their ranking system needs to be transparent around the calculations behind it I doubt that player is a good representation of what the masses experience. He's top tier already, even within Onyx.

Where does he think he's ranking up to? Being the top of the heap means you have further to fall not go up.

That's a valid point. I'm just looking at it from the wrong perspective. I guess once you're onyx you also need to play better than the onyx players ahead of you and those are generally the best of the best.. Just winning a match isn't necessarily the same thing as playing better. Maybe the system is accounting for that as well. I would like to recant my prior post 🤣

Last edited:
Last day for Halo 3, this came up in my shorts feed. Halo 3 staying Halo 3 i see haha

lol what did I just watch? Good to see you drop into the thread Napsta. It's been a while.

Also, from a few days ago. Nothing crazy but I'm interested in the art books.

Top Bottom