• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Oh my that video is over an hour long. I'll see when I can get to it. 343 needs to do something about their servers. I have trouble connecting even outside of BTB. It's pretty annoying.

EDIT: I alternate between days of just wanting to screw around and play fiesta and days where I have motivation to try and rank up. Today I decided to try and rank up. At least 3 of my maybe 7? games were objective games 3v4 lol. Splendid.

EDIT2: Hit Plat 6 earlier. I know it's nothing special but I really just want to get to Diamond. I'm still offended the game placed me at Gold 3. And honestly, I haven't been playing all that well. I just don't play regularly enough or with a team. So Onyx is a pipedream. But with a little luck I should be able to at least get to Diamond 1 at some point. Just have to luck onto some good teams. I'm more than likely not gonna be able to carry anyone, but if the teams are evenly matched I can hold my own.

Last edited:
lol what did I just watch? Good to see you drop into the thread Napsta. It's been a while.

Also, from a few days ago. Nothing crazy but I'm interested in the art books.
Thanks man. I've been away since about 10/2017

Anyone know how much grinding it would take for that "Levar Burton" mask? I kind of want it lol

Last edited:
Extremely good video from Fayvn about the multiplayer, maybe the best review yet. I'd highly recommend watching it if you have the time, especially because he was one of the testers for 343. Title makes it sound negative but overall ends on a (somewhat) positive note.

Thanks man. I've been away since about 10/2017

Anyone know how much grinding it would take for that "Levar Burton" mask? I kind of want it lol

Is that one of the new challenge events? Hard to say. It's the 5th reward so I wouldnt think too long. Probably can get it done in a week or less depending on luck with getting event challenges (completely random). I mean if you're lucky could feasibly knock it out in a day.
Extremely good video from Fayvn about the multiplayer, maybe the best review yet. I'd highly recommend watching it if you have the time, especially because he was one of the testers for 343. Title makes it sound negative but overall ends on a (somewhat) positive note.

I still need to watch the other video you linked haha. But this one sounds good. I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Is that one of the new challenge events? Hard to say. It's the 5th reward so I wouldnt think too long. Probably can get it done in a week or less depending on luck with getting event challenges (completely random). I mean if you're lucky could feasibly knock it out in a day.

I still need to watch the other video you linked haha. But this one sounds good. I'll check it out.
In all honesty I found Act Man's vid a bit disappointing as a campaign review. Felt like it ended too early and he barely even talked about some stuff like Cortana and the Endless (especially because one of his biggest complaints about Halo 5 WAS Cortana...)

Favyn's vid doesn't talk about the campaign at all but he goes really deep into multiplayer mechanics, content, etc. Still kinda surprised 343 invited him to be a tester because he's been extremely critical of them in the past.

Sounds like a whiner. The maps are actually pretty good.

This guy gets it. Maps that curate gameplay intrinsically; iconic and interactive. Classic maps, modes and gameplay trump anything in the 4/5/Infinite maps and sandbox design or development with the exception of the grappleshot. It's not just the aesthetics of Halo 1-3 maps, it's their engagements rising out of said map design. Clean, simple and effective. Infinite's sandbox in terms of movement and map design is cluttered and clunky, always has been under 343. The statement in the video about 343 maps just "housing" the gameplay is spot on. The classic maps very much produce the gameplay.

I've got more of the video to get through while I work but will come back with more.

EDIT: The area I feel he didn't cover so well was the Halo 5 and again Infinite split of esports/arena focus vs BTB. It's the reason the maps are the way they are and resources are dedicated to these small "McDonalds" playstyle maps. Same goes for interactive elements, esports just don't want that sort of balance issue. Honestly I feel like everything he is saying is a symptom of that core choice around esports vs BTB. The maps, the modes, the gunplay are all then derived out of that split; which has wide reaching and cascading effects. It's also the core of why they have quick play with ARs to try to appease the "casuals/classics" segment but they're stuck in esports/arena maps for the most part so it breaks heavily. Then you have the ranked BR hardcore esports. Then you have the chaotic 12v12, which is just too big for it's own good.

The BTB maps don't give rise to vehicular vs boots on the ground gameplay like maps such as Avalanche, Standoff, Containment, Headlong etc. They're too cluttered and layered vertically for that interaction.

Last edited:
It wasn't really whining, he basically just says the maps in a vacuum are inoffensive and the lack of non-human ones hurts it in terms of variety, which I completely agree with.
Sure, but it's only the beginning. We have May to look forward to. Until then, they should focus on armor and gametypes.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

So I went to start playing more of the campaign today and it won't start. It counts down from 3 and then nothing loads and it just sits at the main screen. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, basically done
everything to trouble shoot it and fucking nothing. A random Youtube dude said it was due to the game having a conflict with installed controllers. Followed that advice and still nothing. What a joke.

I'm done with the game and just uninstalled it. I'll wait until it's hopefully fixed by the time 343 decides to add in the co-op campaign mode. Otherwise, it was fun while it lasted. This is the one downside to
PC gaming. One little issue and the whole fucking game ends up not working. At least with console, 99% you can start up the game and play with no fucking issues. :messenger_angry:

So I went to start playing more of the campaign today and it won't start. It counts down from 3 and then nothing loads and it just sits at the main screen. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, basically done
everything to trouble shoot it and fucking nothing. A random Youtube dude said it was due to the game having a conflict with installed controllers. Followed that advice and still nothing. What a joke.

I'm done with the game and just uninstalled it. I'll wait until it's hopefully fixed by the time 343 decides to add in the co-op campaign mode. Otherwise, it was fun while it lasted. This is the one downside to
PC gaming. One little issue and the whole fucking game ends up not working. At least with console, 99% you can start up the game and play with no fucking issues. :messenger_angry:
Dang sorry Ultrazilla. I know the servers are having all sorts of issues right now. I tried to jump into a few simple games last night and I couldn't connect. It's a bummer and I think you unfortunately tried to start playing again at the worst possible time. Hopefully 343 can get their stuff together. It's turning a lot of people off sadly.

Triple kill post inbound.

I continue to enjoy what Mint Blitz puts out. A little anecdotal but Infinite drops 100K players. Lack of content goes around again. Sweats turn players off modes, again. Bugs, desync and QA continues to plague Infinite.

I want this game to be good, and it can be. The launch isn't where it should have been maps/content/stability wise. Xbox needs to take 343 to task IMO.

Naked Lunch

I absolutely hate that quickly ducking up and down while moving during firefights is a thing in this game same as it was in Halo 5. Thats the first indication youre playing against a super nerd sweat dork. Its only possible on controller with paddles I would imagine - regardless its lame and dumb.

I continue to enjoy what Mint Blitz puts out. A little anecdotal but Infinite drops 100K players. Lack of content goes around again. Sweats turn players off modes, again. Bugs, desync and QA continues to plague Infinite.

I want this game to be good, and it can be. The launch isn't where it should have been maps/content/stability wise. Xbox needs to take 343 to task IMO.

That's just steam. that doesn't take into account Xbox.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I quit the game and despite possible changes in future will never come back, free 2 play and how that makes the developers have to create a gameplay loop around forcing people to the store has seen too that.

Last edited:
I couldn't get any games to start until I downloaded that latest update, and then I couldn't figure how to start the download. I clicked everything, went into the MS store, the Xbox app, the Xbox console companion app, and still couldn't figure it out. Clicking on update the game was unresponsive. I finally just left the game open on my laptop and left to do other stuff. Came back later and was able to get a few games of attrition in. So I guess the update finally installed.

I don't like radar in attrition. Played multiple games where the other team would group up and camp somewhere and then pounce each time someone came by. It was kind of pointless and unenjoyable. This game still doesn't play quite to my liking. The controls and weapon balance. Melees are hit and miss. The needler is ridiculously accurate. Ill get supercombined even if I use the grapple shot and strafe sideways across the map or room. The only defense is using the thruster but even then not always reliable. It's a bit much imo.

Well, this sounds like a good change... but of course it depends on the execution.

bATE6kT.png

Aren't these challenges supposed to be improved? Get 25 melee kills in attrition? Are they out of their fucking minds? And that's not even a final challenge. Unreal...

The assault rifle in this game is completely broken. So are melees.

I can no scope someone with the sniper rifle and get their shields down instantly at close range. I switch to the ar and start shooting and for some reason the other player never dies and I end up getting killed by their ar. I can use the br at mid distance and get outgunned by the ar. It's fucking stupid. I can run around the damn map for 5 minutes and not find a single player and then all of a sudden their whole team is on top of me within melee range and I never saw them on radar once. The visual cues to tell me where I'm getting shot from are absolutely horrid. I never know where the fuck i'm getting shot from. And the radar is a joke too. Might as well not be in the game.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Replayed CE on heroic yesterday. Great game. Keyes is still a shit level but Two Betrayals is just peak stuff. And that final part in the Maw where the Pelican crashes and the theme starts playing gave me chills lol

Does anyone know if the Tenrai event will make another appearance? Of course I unlocked everything for the Cyber event in a matter of a few days but couldn't get the AR and pistol skin unlocked in 3 appearances of the tenrai event so far... Hoping it comes back. It's also still annoying that so many cosmetics are not cross kit. So for example, I use the grenadier helmet on jun's kit and there hasn't been anything in these events that can be used on it lol .

Like I would try to complete all the weekly challenges to unlock this but it's only for the Mark VII... So it's like nevermind. 343 is going to continue this nickel and dime crap of releasing same colors separately for different kits and helmets.

Replayed CE on heroic yesterday. Great game. Keyes is still a shit level but Two Betrayals is just peak stuff. And that final part in the Maw where the Pelican crashes and the theme starts playing gave me chills lol
Halo CE is so good. The way the music compliments each level is phenomenal. Marty just had a talent for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Apparently this is a thing. Still odd it was slated for last year, then pushed to FEB this year and now basically no date. I wonder if the trailer will solidify an actual release date.

e99b6d0ef3d8c2a9cde0cf1e97ab854cfe986d4d_2_828x1035.jpeg

YukiOnna

Apparently this is a thing. Still odd it was slated for last year, then pushed to FEB this year and now basically no date. I wonder if the trailer will solidify an actual release date.

I know they instilled the fear of god into me by saying they want to show a different side of Chief, but I'm hoping they at least stick to not showing his face.

Havoc2049

I know they instilled the fear of god into me by saying they want to show a different side of Chief, but I'm hoping they at least stick to not showing his face.
You know they are going to show his face. I don't like how they did a retcon of some of the characters. Miranda Keys is now a scientist instead of an UNSC officer. So all the big epic moments from Halo 2 and Halo 3 involving Miranda Keys have just been flushed down the drain.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I'm ok with it since they said this was an alternate universe and not the same universe from the games. Would have loved it to be the games universe but could be cool seeing alternate takes on Halo.

Possibly, could be interesting, but I'm yearning for that story continuation. It's such a long time between drinks with Halo and very disconnected within the games already.

Getting more shitty challenges. Oh look kill 25 people in attrition with melees... Fuck that.

EDIT: just finished all the challenges to get that yellow weapon coating only to find out it's only for the bulldog. wtf... Nice one 343. Why the hell aren't colors universal and for all the weapons. Talk about some cheap shit.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Getting more shitty challenges. Oh look kill 25 people in attrition with melees... Fuck that.

EDIT: just finished all the challenges to get that yellow weapon coating only to find out it's only for the bulldog. wtf... Nice one 343. Why the hell aren't colors universal and for all the weapons. Talk about some cheap shit.
LOL... Ya, I swapped that challenge out really quick. Attrition matches are so quick, your lucky to get one melle kill a game. Just another slimy move to sell challenge swaps.

After I stopped wallowing in self pity I finally caught up on some posts. I went to halowaypoint to read the accompanying article for the tv series and it's a long article lol. Whatever they do with the master chief I just hope the show is good.
LOL... Ya, I swapped that challenge out really quick. Attrition matches are so quick, your lucky to get one melle kill a game. Just another slimy move to sell challenge swaps.
Yeah I ran out of swaps last week because I burned through a bunch of other challenges haha. At least the ones I got this week were completable however annoying.

I went into the ranked playlist last night and played horribly. First game was oddball and I just don't play that game type well at all. Second was strongholds, which I did better. The game went to 3 rounds but we lost. The team I was only needed 10 more seconds or so to win in the last round. Then I had a ctf game where I played really well (won 5-0) and had some clutch plays mixed in. The performance cheered me up a bit until I realized that the other team was a bunch of lower tier players and I had onyx and diamond players on my team. So long story short I still suck haha.

Last edited:
Ranked playlist removes Behemoth CTF. 6 years and 3 months to not get what is really the single classic Halo CTF experience right. This doesn't even include Halo 5 and 4 and MCC decade/years worth of experience 343 should be working from. This tells me everything I need to know about who/what/why/how they cater for 4v4 Halo. Pretty damning if you ask me, for a number of reasons e.g. -
  • cater to esports crowd to remove any semblance of a classic map the likes of Zanzibar, Standoff, Avalance, Containment etc
  • never cater for "not full sweaty squad always" getting wins/gameplay they want
  • 343 missing the mark again for objective
Source - Unyshek @ Waypoint

Hey all – we wanted to share an update that we’ll be making to our ranked Arena playlists later this morning. We appreciate the steady flow of feedback that you all provide, and we’ll continue to make changes where we can based on that input.

To read up on today’s change, please see the section below:

What is happening?
Based on data and community feedback, we will be removing the map and mode pairing of Behemoth CTF from our ranked playlists for the time being. This change will come into effect this morning via an update in our online services and will not require a download.

Why is this happening?
We’ve seen enough data to show us that the map is not performing in ranked as intended. Most of this data revolves around spawning and effective cover around the map.

Spawning on the perimeter of the bases with a direct line of sight to the flag stand, in addition to BR 75 starts, is creating a more frenetic match pace than desired. This leaves players feeling that even a well-coordinated team push into the enemy base can fall apart quickly; resulting in flag pulls being much more difficult than they should be.

Similarly, players seem to be respawning in places that can often feel unpredictable and therefore frustrating to deal with. This goes for both attacking and defending teams.

There also appears to be a lack of viable cover opportunities throughout the map, which is exacerbated when all players are wielding a BR 75. As a result, players often find themselves engaged in firefights with limited options from the outside of the map.

Overall, we want to improve the Ranked CTF experience on the map before reintroducing it to these playlists.

What happens next?
We’re going to take some time to address the areas mentioned above and make changes to improve the ranked Behemoth experience. If we are confident that we are able to do so successfully, and verify that through rigorous testing, then we will consider adding it back into the ranked experience in the future.

Thank you again for playing and providing us with plenty of data and feedback on this. We’ll continue to monitor the performance of all our map and mode combos in Halo Infinite’s playlists throughout the life of the game.

It's super disheartening to see Halo split down the middle with Halo 5/Infinite and things like this just further obfuscate classic Halo in matchmaking. No wonder I don't even turn on Infinite anymore or have my regular Halo friends to play with.

Ranked playlist removes Behemoth CTF. 6 years and 3 months to not get what is really the single classic Halo CTF experience right. This doesn't even include Halo 5 and 4 and MCC decade/years worth of experience 343 should be working from. This tells me everything I need to know about who/what/why/how they cater for 4v4 Halo. Pretty damning if you ask me, for a number of reasons e.g. -
  • cater to esports crowd to remove any semblance of a classic map the likes of Zanzibar, Standoff, Avalance, Containment etc
  • never cater for "not full sweaty squad always" getting wins/gameplay they want
  • 343 missing the mark again for objective
Source - Unyshek @ Waypoint

It's super disheartening to see Halo split down the middle with Halo 5/Infinite and things like this just further obfuscate classic Halo in matchmaking. No wonder I don't even turn on Infinite anymore or have my regular Halo friends to play with.
Dang that sucks. At least they will consider re-adding it if they can fix some of the issues, and it only affects the ranked playlist.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I do like Behemoth a lot (more than all the other maps) but the CTF spawning is screwed up on that map. When playing offense on Behemoth CTF when you kill people on the way to the flag or even in their base, they spawn in 5 seconds on the back ramp or in the side rocks - making it so you have to essentially kill the defenders twice over, every single offense run. Its a problem that could use some adjustments.

The Infinite 1 flag map 'Launch Site' offers that wide open gameplay style similar to Behemoth - I like the Launch map for team slayer - but it seems that map is not in ranked for some reason. Usually when the Launch map comes up in regular slayer, people scream over the mic "this map is too big for slayer". I disagree. Not every map has to be congested action, in your face at all times, chaos. I hope 343 doesnt just listen to that crowd.

The only time I get annoyed with the launch map is when it comes up in tactical slayer. I think games are way too drawn out, but that's a personal preference.

Naked Lunch

The only time I get annoyed with the launch map is when it comes up in tactical slayer. I think games are way too drawn out, but that's a personal preference.
Thats understandable for the Swat mode. Though the more quiet, sneakier gameplay on Launch is still at least a decent change of pace from the rest.

The Infinite gameplay changes significantly on Launch Site and Behemoth over the super fast engagements every 2 seconds on all the other maps. Infinite feels like a different game on those 2 bigger 4v4 maps. I dont even particularly like the overall design of Launch Site, it just gives room to breath and think a bit.

I hope they do provide a steady stream of a variety of maps rather than rely on just forge creators. I cant think of many forge maps I actually liked playing (or liked looking at) in all the years it existed.

Last edited:
Thats understandable for the Swat mode. Though the more quiet, sneakier gameplay on Launch is still at least a decent change of pace from the rest.

The Infinite gameplay changes significantly on Launch Site and Behemoth over the super fast engagements every 2 seconds on all the other maps. Infinite feels like a different game on those 2 bigger 4v4 maps. I dont even particularly like the overall design of Launch Site, it just gives room to breath and think a bit.

I hope they do provide a steady stream of a variety of maps rather than rely on just forge creators. I cant think of many forge maps I actually liked playing (or liked looking at) in all the years it existed.
Yes. If they don't have a massive group of devs specifically working on new maps this very second it's gonna be a sad day when season 2 arrives.

Last edited:
Would be nice if they can finally fix BTB problems. Not sure how credible the BR rumor is, but I can see it happening eventually.

Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries has confirmed that while it thinks it has finally addressed the "core issue" impacting the Big Team Battle playlist, we're unlikely to see a hotfix deployed until February 3 "at the earliest".

Problems with matchmaking have made it difficult for larger groups of pals to jump into Halo: Infinite's frantic Big Team Battle playlists and so far, all attempts to fix it have yet to do so. Now, however, 343i thinks it may have cracked it.

"Using the telemetry we received from the hotfix on January 19, we were able to make a new build with an update that we believe should address the core issue impacting the BTB playlist," explains senior community manager John Junyszek in a new update on Halo Waypoint.

"The studio ran a successful playtest today and plans to send it off for certification on Monday. After it’s sent off, it will take some time to go through the certification process and to find out if it’s approved. Once it’s approved, we’ll begin preparing to release it to the public. Since there’s still a little more of the internal release process to go through, the earliest we’d expect this hotfix to land would be next Thursday, February 3."

Halo Infinite could be getting a new mode from a frequent third-party collaborator, and it may present a new take on a modern shooter standby.

A new report from Windows Central indicates that developer Certain Affinity is rumored to be working with 343 Industries on a new mode for Halo Infinite, alongside its work with Microsoft on a Monster Hunter inspired game allegedly codenamed Project Suerte. The report stipulates that Certain Affinity's new Halo Infinite game mode could be a battle royale of some form, or it could be something else entirely.

Certain Affinity was founded in 2006 by former Bungie developer Max Hoberman, and has contributed to multiple Halo games as well as lending expertise to a range of shooters from Left 4 Dead to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered. If any external studio has the chops to come in and start crafting its own Halo Infinite experience, Certain Affinity would certainly be at the top of the list.

Though not without a few wobbles here and there, Halo Infinite has enjoyed the biggest launch in the franchise's already big history, with over 20 million players logging in and loading up so far. That's a whole lot of Spartans running for the final circle, if Certain Affinity really is cooking up Halo's first official battle royale.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Lot of rumblings about BR since and it seems they made the right call to have it developed by another studio. I wonder if that was what the trademark was for and a Campaign Expansion will be 2023 while BR is this year?

The worst part about the big team woes is this isn't the first time, it's a recurring problem with 343. MCC was/is riddled with this for years. Infinite has been the same since launch. Honestly given 343 and MS being so close physically and corporate wise how this isn't a flagship title of how to dev the framework of matchmaking, parties, chat, party leaders and more is fucking atrocious. There is no nice way to put it. It's fucking incompetence given the history. I know first hand because we spent years with MCC and at launch weeks having parties of 4-10 of wanting to play being unable to for hours at a time. Literally our weekly "Halo night" for the big group simply dropped off the face of the planet with MCC. We came back patch after patch and here we are again with Infinite. We organised days and nights of 6-8 of us at Infinite's launch for BTB and nothing but having to restart the game, getting dropped from party chat and the UI being useless in terms of anything close to real time feeds of your party members. The integration with XBL is pretty shit to say the least as well.

I cannot in good conscience give 343 or XBL or MS a free pass on such things any longer. This is before you even get into region filtering for Australia, player choice of playlists/maps/modes and more.

I wish they give Respawn the Halo battle royale game. I wish they did it years ago.

Ok here's my gut reactions, could be way off base or right on the money. Who knows.
  • Spartan Collins reporting for duty? Why the fuck is Phil Collins in Halo?!? Out of all the iconic music from all the games and OST they went with this as the first showing?

Tecd3Es.png

• Happy to see Halo getting some screen time finally. Production quality looks like they got a lot out of what they had to work with and get through to this point.
  • Cortana. What did they do to Cortana? Fuck me. This had better be like an introduction skin and she changes form after first meeting Chief. Who thinks these changes up? Let alone approve them. Woke culture has stolen our purple and blue titties.
  • It looks like a very personable story e.g. Forward Unto Dawn. We're getting a drama show in a Halo universe? NoComedyAllowed.gif.
  • The flood seems to not phase the Covie raised human. Weird.
  • Good casting choices for Halsey and Hood.
  • Suits can look good but then at times they look like rubber then they look overly shiny. It's pretty hit and miss.
  • Lord of the Rings mountain castle crossed with Mandalorian desert setting doesn't really strike "Halo and SciFi" to me. I suppose this is the first conflicts where Innies and Chief run into Covies?
  • Downes not being Chief is a big one. We don't need all that humanising of Chief in his voice acting. Cortana of old said it best "Chief I need you", when I hear a not-Downes voice I'm just taken out of it.
  • CGI looks good, very well done for the budget.
  • Prophets should have been shown a little more but at least the main parts of the games are there.
  • Why doesn't this trailer have Chief coming out of cryo?
  • Why do they have to find Halo instead of crash land on it? CE was an icon and the reason Halo blew up, why mess with what worked? Big action, big mystery and it feels like this is traded for a show that can focus on some humans fighting in place of how we started out being the Chief in games.
  • Gun audio doesn't sound as good as the levels in games, might just be some trailer editing as it's background stuff.
  • First episodes aren't just about Chief. Seems like they're going way back to the first introduction of Chief. Wonder if he'll have no shields and no AI at first.
  • Elites towering over Chief is cool.
  • Jackals look on point.
  • High Charity looking huge and foreboding.
  • Purple blood on Chief's helmet. Hoorah.
  • Didn't see any Spartan training stuff, just a kid flashback for a second.
  • Didn't notice any blue team? Just "other Spartans".
Overall looks the part, for the most part, some questions around what their approach is, want to see more of the action/space battles/strategy stuff and curious if there is going to be a big flood reveal etc? It doesn't appear to have a rating as yet, wonder if they're going for a young or mature audience?

Last edited:
Wow, I spoke too soon. That Cortana design is absolutely awful. Holy shit what were they thinking?

Other than that it looks pretty... generic if I'm being honest.

Top Bottom