• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A look at Missile Command for Intellivision Amico...quite possibly the most impressive Amico game shown so far

Agent X

The folks at Intellivision Entertainment posted this YouTube video yesterday, featuring a "deep dive" look at Missile Command for Amico:

I must say that this game looks surprisingly good. While the entire video is over 20 minutes long, most of you can get a good understanding about the features of this game in the first 7 minutes.

The developers have included a wealth of gameplay customization options, covering single-player and multiplayer modes, and encompassing different skill levels. They play a two-player cooperative game throughout much of the second half of the video, which shows how the difficulty gradually ramps up. It's easy-going at first, but becomes quite intense as you get through 15 to 20 waves.

Although many people have criticized the amateurish and simplistic look of many Amico games in development, this game stands above most of the other efforts on the system, with sharp graphics and great sound work. There's a level of polish here that I hope to see in a greater number of future Amico games.

The effort they've put into this game is commendable. The game as a whole looks like it would be welcome on any system, although this version of Missile Command is exclusive to Amico, and the current game design is tied tightly to the Amico controllers.

What do you think about this game? Would you want to see more Amico games with this apparent level of quality?

SScorpio

The two-player mode is interesting. But I'm not sure about the graphics versus the Geometry Wars-style that's in Missle Command: Recharged.

The Amico needs some games to stand out, but even then it's very unlikely it will be a break-out hit.

Man Missile Command was my favorite back in the old arcade/Atari 2600 days. Would I get an Amico to play this? Nope. Would I play it on my PS5 with touch pad controls? Absolutely.

Last edited:
The gameplay loop for Missile Command was always among the deepest of the original major arcade classics. Even remakes like the one on PS1 were still a lot of fun. Makes sense that this version would be a solid adaptation.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The more I see gameplay demos the more I really like the controller on this thing. Is that worth a $200+ investment though?….probably not.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
The Amico really does look like a master in couch coop. Still interested in getting one.

edit-

Just preordered the wood grain version. I dunno, something about this is just insanely charming and I feel like there's gonna be some gems unavailable anywhere else. Games are also only 9.99 so that's really nice. If the console fails, I'll at least have an obscure piece of hardware.

render_amicoFE_3quarterRight_NoBG_2K_2021_06_11+%281%29.png

edit 2- LMFAO, Bad Dudes is being remade for it according to Wikipedia.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
So since I preordered it, I decided to browse YouTube to become more familiar with the console.

Big mistake. I've managed to go down a rabbit hole of some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen when it comes to videogames.

There's a handful of YouTubers, seemingly led by Pat the NES Punk, who are just so down on this thing and the videos they've been posting are like Chad Warden level trolling but these guys are all serious as far as I can tell.

I just can't imagine dedicating time to fighting over a friggin' Intellivision console in 2021. It's surreal.

Do I think the system will be a success? No. It's probably gonna fail. I'm mainly buying it out of sheer curiosity.

Genx3

Why do these games need a new console??

I suspect it would've been better to make a custom controller for the existing consoles and then sell these games for them.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I suspect it would've been better to make a custom controller for the existing consoles and then sell these games for them.
They don't need a new console. That's one of the reasons this is going to fail. They could have released an updated Intellivision Lives compilation and most of the games we've seen on console marketplaces and Steam and saved themselves a lot of hassle.

Genx3

They don't need a new console. That's one of the reasons this is going to fail. They could have released an updated Intellivision Lives compilation and most of the games we've seen on console marketplaces and Steam and saved themselves a lot of hassle.
It would've been cool if they made a bunch of track ball games and made a couple of track ball controllers. Those Atari 2600 Paddle controllers were cool for games like breakout.
Some other family party style games as well.

Agent X

The two-player mode is interesting. But I'm not sure about the graphics versus the Geometry Wars-style that's in Missle Command: Recharged.

I think the graphic style fits well with this game. I also think Missile Command: Recharged (which is a great game, that I've recommended in other threads in the past) has a visual style that fits the minimalist approach of that particular game.

A good analogy would be that Missile Command: Recharged is to the original Missile Command what Pac-Man 256 is to the original Pac-Man. Both Missile Command: Recharged and Pac-Man 256 took the essence of their predecessors, and injected them into a bite-sized game with a single "endless" level with constantly increasing difficulty. In both games, the goal is simply to survive as long as you can and rack up as many points as possible on a single life (no extra lives in Pac-Man 256, and no bonus cities in Missile Command: Recharged).

LMFAO, Bad Dudes is being remade for it according to Wikipedia.

If that's true, then it will be interesting to see what they do with that game, to fit within their guidelines that all games must be rated E or E10+.

I agree with both of you. I've also said in the past that Intellivision Entertainment might have been better off making these games for other popular platforms. By doing this, they could establish the Intellivision brand as the go-to label for "retro" and/or "family friendly" games.

Regardless of what you or I or anyone else here thinks, they've already gone this far with designing a new console, along with a lineup of games to go with it.

Arcade trackball missile command is still the king. Turn that into a sit down 4 controller cabinet with a refresh of other atari games doing modes for coop, 2v2 etc and we're golden.

I feel there's a lot that can be done with Asteroids. The Atari 7800 version of Asteroids had a couple of great two-player simultaneous modes. You could choose to play a competitive game (where players could destroy each other) or a cooperative game (where players could not destroy each other, and contributed to a common "team score"). There was also the Atari 8-bit computer version of Asteroids that allowed up to four simultaneous players, but I don't have much experience with that version of the game.

If you want another classic Atari game that can be played by up to four players, then Warlords has to be in the conversation.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, I really have a hard time seeing the Amico taking the market by storm but I can't deny that some of the games look really fun and I'm excited to try them out. I'm well aware that these experiences are probably available on the Switch but I'm dumb enough to buy an Amico and will see it through to the bitter end. lol.

I feel there's a lot that can be done with Asteroids. The Atari 7800 version of Asteroids had a couple of great two-player simultaneous modes. You could choose to play a competitive game (where players could destroy each other) or a cooperative game (where players could not destroy each other, and contributed to a common "team score"). There was also the Atari 8-bit computer version of Asteroids that allowed up to four simultaneous players, but I don't have much experience with that version of the game.

If you want another classic Atari game that can be played by up to four players, then Warlords has to be in the conversation.
My brother and I gave that Asteroids version some screen time, it was a good update to the original game.

Warlords had some interesting 4 player mechanics to update breakout into a multiplayer game. I always felt they could sort of include pinball mechanics into it as well e.g. store a second ball, crazy multi-ball modes etc. It would make a nice addition to an Atari 4 player cabinet.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There's a reason the whole "Second screen" concept was a resounding flop.

That reason?

It's stupid.

The Amico really does look like a master in couch coop. Still interested in getting one.

edit-

Just preordered the wood grain version. I dunno, something about this is just insanely charming and I feel like there's gonna be some gems unavailable anywhere else. Games are also only 9.99 so that's really nice. If the console fails, I'll at least have an obscure piece of hardware.

render_amicoFE_3quarterRight_NoBG_2K_2021_06_11+%281%29.png

edit 2- LMFAO, Bad Dudes is being remade for it according to Wikipedia.
I feel the same, and pre-ordered mine long ago.

Hell, I already have 8 games and no Amico. lol

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

5ixr1oul.jpg

qPloDZGl.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks terrible and they're so cringe trying to hype up something so boring, plain and amateur looking to make it appear exciting. LOOK AT ALL THESE POWER UPS, THERE'S SO MANY POWER UPS, I WON'T GO THROUGH THEM ALL! What a horrible product and total waste of planet resources.

Amico would have potential if it were half the price that it is. For 200$ you can get a switch lite. 99$ for the console and two controllers would actually be enticing.

As for the game, it looks fun, but nothing I would spend more than 5$ for.

Last edited:
Amico would have potential if it were half the price that it is. For 200$ you can get a switch lite. 99$ for the console and two controllers would actually be enticing.
I agree that it is too expensive. I'm sure it's because they can't get costs down due to what has to be a small manufacturing run.

I can't imagine that there are too many people excited about this (even though I am personally). I would love to see pre-order numbers. It may very well only be me and fart town usa fart town usa . LMAO

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I look forward to picking one of these up on clearance somewhere for $20. That missile command demo looked like a big turd burger to me.

I agree that it is too expensive. I'm sure it's because they can't get costs down due to what has to be a small manufacturing run.
Yeah, you're probably right on with this. They probably have to pay a premium on lower runs.

An idea I was throwing around with my friend was if they want to keep the 200$ price tag they should do something like what Playdate is offering and have the first "season" of games included with the price.

Yeah, you're probably right on with this. They probably have to pay a premium on lower runs.

An idea I was throwing around with my friend was if they want to keep the 200$ price tag they should do something like what Playdate is offering and have the first "season" of games included with the price.
I was recently telling someone else this exact same thing. Would make it a much better value proposition.

So since I preordered it, I decided to browse YouTube to become more familiar with the console.

Big mistake. I've managed to go down a rabbit hole of some of the most embarrassing shit I've ever seen when it comes to videogames.

There's a handful of YouTubers, seemingly led by Pat the NES Punk, who are just so down on this thing and the videos they've been posting are like Chad Warden level trolling but these guys are all serious as far as I can tell.

I just can't imagine dedicating time to fighting over a friggin' Intellivision console in 2021. It's surreal.

Do I think the system will be a success? No. It's probably gonna fail. I'm mainly buying it out of sheer curiosity.
That is because Pat & Ian didn't think it was good idea, then the fucking CEO of Amico took it personally and started attacking them online.
it has been delayed several times already, the games they have shown have had graphics lifted from other games etc.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That is because Pat & Ian didn't think it was good idea, then the fucking CEO of Amico took it personally and started attacking them online.
it has been delayed several times already, the games they have shown have had graphics lifted from other games etc.

Yea, last night I was watching videos and reading up on things. It's eerily similar to the Dennis Dyack fiasco.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over it all, if it releases, cool. If it doesn't, I'll get my money back. Don't really care one way or the other.

Tommy has always come across to me as a douchebag. The whole amico disaster just cemented that fact. I wouldn’t throw these guys a click let alone a purchase. Let em fail in style.

Last edited:

amc

Stay away from this shit show of a machine. The CEO 'rock star' seems like a massive liar and self aggrandiser and don't be expecting to ever see Earth Worm Jim or even Night Stalker release on to it, if the the thing ever actually sees the light of day that is. The devs of those games have distanced themselves from the whole debacle. Even Tommy avoids any mention of them now.

I'm no expert on any of this shit, but like someone mentioned above, I had my interest piqued, by a Night Stalker video, thought it looked cool and spent an hour doing a little reading and watching.

Unlike the person above I came away thanking the naysayers for pointing out the phony shit show and feeling extreme embarrassment for anyone who's involved, either in it's development or white knighting for Tommy on YouTube.

Feel sorry/not sorry for the suckers who've actually invested real money in this thing, they're the ones with 100 subs on Youtube getting worked up at people criticising the shady practices and lies. They were daft enough to invest when Tommy spat tall tales of success and pretended to be their pal. Now they get super worked up and defensive against valid criticism and go wild at anyone who calls out Mr Tallarico, most likely they know it's a money grab from Tommy but they are either blinded by his pretence at being their friend or are in the hole for a few bucks.

That's not people who pre-ordered btw, but people who are actually expecting to see an ROI after investing via some sort of investment portal that this thing keeps going back to for cash injections. Lol.

Honestly, avoid like the plague. It's the Coleco Chameleon again, only a lot more sophisticated and with a lot more people with skin in the game who'll try make it sound like a good machine with prospects. Only Tommy is ever going to be laughing at the bank from this.

Interesting to watch it all play out mind.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It looks terrible and they're so cringe trying to hype up something so boring, plain and amateur looking to make it appear exciting. LOOK AT ALL THESE POWER UPS, THERE'S SO MANY POWER UPS, I WON'T GO THROUGH THEM ALL! What a horrible product and total waste of planet resources.
I don't know. For a game like Missile Command it seems like a decent enough take. It's best not to deviate too far from what made the original so much fun and it looks like it captures the spirit well enough. It looks like it could be a fun 2 player couch game.

Holammer

Arcade trackball missile command is still the king. Turn that into a sit down 4 controller cabinet with a refresh of other atari games doing modes for coop, 2v2 etc and we're golden.

c91f3ff7cc928abb0faa0a79530a5b61.jpg
Oh man, the big chunky trackballs was great for Missile Command, Millipede and others. It could pinch your finger tips, but you had insane precision for the time.
Twinkle Star Sprites or Bloons TD Battles could be good models for a competitive Missile Command game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Stay away from this shit show of a machine. The CEO 'rock star' seems like a massive liar and self aggrandiser and don't be expecting to ever see Earth Worm Jim or even Night Stalker release on to it, if the the thing ever actually sees the light of day that is. The devs of those games have distanced themselves from the whole debacle. Even Tommy avoids any mention of them now.

I'm no expert on any of this shit, but like someone mentioned above, I had my interest piqued, by a Night Stalker video, thought it looked cool and spent an hour doing a little reading and watching.

Unlike the person above I came away thanking the naysayers for pointing out the phony shit show and feeling extreme embarrassment for anyone who's involved, either in it's development or white knighting for Tommy on YouTube.

Feel sorry/not sorry for the suckers who've actually invested real money in this thing, they're the ones with 100 subs on Youtube getting worked up at people criticising the shady practices and lies. They were daft enough to invest when Tommy spat tall tales of success and pretended to be their pal. Now they get super worked up and defensive against valid criticism and go wild at anyone who calls out Mr Tallarico, most likely they know it's a money grab from Tommy but they are either blinded by his pretence at being their friend or are in the hole for a few bucks.

That's not people who pre-ordered btw, but people who are actually expecting to see an ROI after investing via some sort of investment portal that this thing keeps going back to for cash injections. Lol.

Honestly, avoid like the plague. It's the Coleco Chameleon again, only a lot more sophisticated and with a lot more people with skin in the game who'll try make it sound like a good machine with prospects. Only Tommy is ever going to be laughing at the bank from this.

Interesting to watch it all play out mind.
Yea, the YouTube drama is really weird. There's a handful of channels with low subscriber counts who are just geeked beyond reason for this thing, lol.

Then there's equally small channels who make videos calling those people shills. Pat the NES Punk seems to be the ring leader about the whole thing. Watching videos on it last night was kinda surreal, never would have guessed that there was so much drama surrounding an effing Intellivision console, lol.

Imagine if this thing releases and takes the world by storm. Wii all over again. (Not gonna happen but it would be hilarious).

PhaseJump

Banned
Yea, the YouTube drama is really weird. There's a handful of channels with low subscriber counts who are just geeked beyond reason for this thing, lol.

Then there's equally small channels who make videos calling those people shills. Pat the NES Punk seems to be the ring leader about the whole thing. Watching videos on it last night was kinda surreal, never would have guessed that there was so much drama surrounding an effing Intellivision console, lol.

Imagine if this thing releases and takes the world by storm. Wii all over again. (Not gonna happen but it would be hilarious).

Pat and Ian got shit on by Tallarico directly, so they wear it and dunk on him. They're not alone.

There is no ring leader. There is just an increasingly larger group of critics who have been blocked, banned, or silenced by Tommy and the troll doxxers he endorses across multiple sites. All these people are "haters", united by how bad this product is at meeting deadlines, and how much of an idiot Tallarico comes across as whenever he opens his mouth to sell something. These people are also his target audience, but also know snake oil when they see it.

Every social media or forum presence set up to allow Tommy to run amok in is a wasteland of misleading information. They're now focused on controlling and censoring everything critical in their own private facebook group.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Pat and Ian got shit on by Tallarico directly, so they wear it and dunk on him. They're not alone.

There is no ring leader. There is just an increasingly larger group of critics who have been blocked, banned, or silenced by Tommy and the troll doxxers he endorses across multiple sites. All these people are "haters", united by how bad this product is at meeting deadlines, and how much of an idiot Tallarico comes across as whenever he opens his mouth to sell something. These people are also his target audience, but also know snake oil when they see it.

Every social media or forum presence set up to allow Tommy to run amok in is a wasteland of misleading information. They're now focused on controlling and censoring everything critical in their own private facebook group.
Yea, I gathered as much. It's just weird cause every group for the Amico has like 2k people max, lol. Same with the videos, they don't even have a lot of views. It just seems like such a waste of time to argue over something as trivial as the Amico. If Tommy is truly a grifter, the truth will eventually get out. If he isn't and the system releases, then the naysayers will just move on.

My thought is that it just seems like such a waste of time and energy for everyone involved, regardless of which side they're on. I mean, it's an Intellivision console, lol. Most people don't even know the thing exists.

Crew511A

The drama Tommy whipped up at Atari Age tells me all I need to know about this. The whole shtick behind this machine is that modern games are too complicated for kids and old people, and we need to bring back couch co-op. Whatever.

If someone wants to play mobile games on a console that looks like a foot bath, who am I to judge?

clem84

Gold Member
I like their 10 commandments and I think this thing has potential. Every game is couch coop friendly. This could be a very good party console. I'm being cautiously optimistic. I also pre-ordered the wood grain version.

Top Bottom