• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look At Ubisoft's Controversial Villain (Far Cry 4's Pagan Min)

mreddie

I would complain Baker is in another game but A. I don't think he's played a villain and B. Good performance we saw on Monday showed that he might surpass Vaas.

L1NETT

Here's hoping (FC3 spoilers)
he doesn't get killed halfway through and get replaced with some dull villain accountant from Boring Town

Seems interesting nonetheless.

Squire

Banned
Twist is that he is actually gay, he really loved Mohan. You are the son of the man he loved and could never give to him.

This also wouldn't surprise me. Not sure why people are assuming he's not gay. Ubi has yet to say that. Could very easily be a twist.

aly

I'm curious if - given the setup they have - the story touches on some of the ongoing issues between Tibetans and Chinese in its themes. I find it a little funny that the original complaints about some dominating foreign force leering over a local upon broken religious imagery translates pretty well to that conflict with the reveal that the foreigner is Chinese and the man at his feet is a Himalayan.

Would be interesting, but I doubt Ubisoft is going that deep into anything.

Squire

Banned
Why are people assuming he's gay in the first place?

Because Ubisoft can't write characters to save their lives and it would be in character of them to make Min an aggressive, closeted gay man. Ubisoft is very regularly tone-deaf. Far Cry 3 certainly is.

Renekton

Because Ubisoft can't write characters to save their lives and it would be in character of them to make Min an aggressive, closeted gay man. Ubisoft is very regularly tone-deaf. Far Cry 3 certainly is.
Subjective probably.

I thought Vaas was interesting.

Squire

Banned
Subjective probably.

I thought Vaas was interesting.

Oh, Vaas is interesting, but "interesting " and "well written" aren't mutually exclusive in the slightest.

Min is interesting. His backstory is interesting and he's got a damn fine actor to bring him to life. The only concern is whether Ubi can him write him up to snuff.

This is like saying Barack Obama isn't actually black.

Nah, you either didn't read what I wrote or chose to ignore it.

"He looks white because he is in part."

He is Chinese and Brittish. He is mixed. He is, in part, white.

Lime

I dont get why they're gonna use Troy Baker for this one. Why not use someone who's actually chineae/British or from that country the game is set in?

hohoXD123

Boss★Moogle;116438342 said:
I almost feel bad for Ubisoft, getting caught in all these fabricated "controversies".

Don't be, free advertising.

This also wouldn't surprise me. Not sure why people are assuming he's not gay. Ubi has yet to say that. Could very easily be a twist.
Are we going to start thinking that there may be a twist in regards to the sexuality of every other character in upcoming video games or is it just this guy because of his pimping suit, despite the fact that he has previously shown interest in women and the inspirations for his colourful suit has already been explained?

Besides, Vaas was great imo, so can't say I agree with you on Ubisoft not being able to write characters for shit.

antitrop

I dont get why they're gonna use Troy Baker for this one. Why not use someone who's actually from that country the game is set in?

Because Troy Baker is the best voice actor in the industry and they have the budget to get him. He's a sure thing, you know what you're getting when you hire him. He's easy to work with and always turns in a worthwhile performance. Are there a lot of dependable, well-trained video game voice actors from the Himalayas?

RELIGHT

Banned
His design is quite controversial though. Just look...

newdante.jpg

lmpaler

What's so controversial about him?

He looks to be a great villain, I actually am more interested in the game after seeing the trailer because of him, but controversial? Come on.

I wonder if he will be the ACTUAL FUCKING VILLIAN this time around. UBI dropped the ball on that with Far Cry 3 in my opinion, the final bad guy was extremely weak in comparison.

Squire

Banned
Are we going to start thinking that there may be a twist in regards to the sexuality of every other character in upcoming video games or is it just this guy because of his pimping suit, despite the fact that he has previously shown interest in women and the inspirations for his colourful suit has already been explained?

Besides, Vaas was great imo, so can't say I agree with you on Ubisoft not being able to write characters for shit.

I don't know. Are we going to start pretending that video games are typically more tactful than that? 'Cause they're not.

dyergram

They could've done something interesting with him and his relationship with his sister (being the leader of the resistance on the island/Rakyat).

But no. You kill him early. =(
I thought it was going to turn out that you were vaas at the end of the game. The story turned out so badly in that game.

I don't know. Are we going to start pretending that video games are typically more tactful than that? 'Cause they're not.
You are literally making shit up to be offended about. Videogames do have issues, so why don't you focus on them rather than talking about a hypothetical situation you made up with no real basis in reality beyond your apparent belief a pink suit equals gay.

iNvid02

I dont get why they're gonna use Troy Baker for this one. Why not use someone who's actually chineae/British or from that country the game is set in?

what antitrop said, but also kyrat is their fictional reigon in the himalays

So, not gay or racist. Good job journalists and bloggers once again on jumping to conclusions.

I'm glad this Ubi team didn't respond directly to those claims. Unlike the Ass Creed Unity Ubi guys towards the silly female characters animations thing.

AppleMIX

So, not gay or racist. Good job journalists and bloggers once again on jumping to conclusions.

I'm glad this Ubi team didn't respond directly to those claims. Unlike the Ass Creed Unity Ubi guys towards the silly female characters animations thing.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a article comes up complaining how it was a missed opportunity that he wasn't gay.

Honestly Troy Baker killed it, super pumped for this one.

link4117

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if a article comes up complaining how it was a missed opportunity that he wasn't gay.

Honestly Troy Baker killed it, super pumped for this one.

Indeed. I can understand people wanting more diversity in games, but that also means some of your villains will be minorities too. Seems the only way for there not to be backlash about racism/sexism/homophobia is to have a black female protagonist who is a shining paragon of humanity. Otherwise someone, somewhere will complain that company X clearly hates whatever it is. Kinda funny the same people wanting to end gay stereotypes jumped to the conclusion that the guy was gay because of his suit color...

On topic, he does sound like an interesting character. Far Cry 3 felt a little too check listy to me, hopefully this one manages the side quests a little better.

I'm really excited to play this game.

That whole part about Kyrats lunatic governors: Would be cool if your goal is to take out Min's governors but you don't have to kill Min himself. You can choose to join him at the end and rule the country together. Or if Min doesn't even want you hurt (like the trailer showed) but actually helps you along the way.

I don't know but I loved what I saw of Min at the Ubi conference. Very excited.

Toa TAK

Banned
Indeed. I can understand people wanting more diversity in games, but that also means some of your villains will be minorities too. Seems the only way for there not to be backlash about racism/sexism/homophobia is to have a black female protagonist who is a shining paragon of humanity. Otherwise someone, somewhere will complain that company X clearly hates whatever it is. Kinda funny the same people wanting to end gay stereotypes jumped to the conclusion that the guy was gay because of his suit color...

It's funny because we had that already. I think people just want more is all.

bengraven

I thought the controversy was because he looked a lot like Julian Assange in the first pics we saw of him, that they were going to make this character some kind of pro-information villain.

JayEH

I understand the man is talented but I'm tired of Troy Baker. He's already voicing the main character in Shadow of Mordor and Advanced Warfare this year. The industry needs to branch out more (or we need better voice actors in the world).

Top Bottom