• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Mandalorian game - who should be the protagonist? (SPOILERS)

Who should be the protagonist?

• Din Djarin

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Boba Fett

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Bo Katan Kryze

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • A new character

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters

GreyHorace

Seems strange that Star Wars would not have a videogame based on it's most popular property today:

The-Mandalorian-Season-2-Logo.jpg

As much as I despise the fact that Electronic Arts owns the license, I enjoyed the hell out of Jedi Fallen Order. But while I'd like to see a sequel to that game, I'm kind of getting sick of playing a Jedi everytime in a Star Wars game. For the next single player Star Wars game EA should not force us to use lightsabers exclusively and make us smoke fools with a blaster.

Fortunately for us, The Mandalorian series on Disney+ has become a hit with audiences and made the Star Wars universe's resident armored badasses as cool as the Jedi (I'd daresay even cooler). But if EA were to make a new game with a Mandalorian protagonist, who would it be? Below I've listed the possible choices EA might go for:

SPOILER WARNINGS FOR SEASON 2 OF THE MANDALORIAN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

the-mandalorian-season-2-episode-4-review-001.jpg

Din Djarin - Of course, he's the star of the show. But since the series is still going on, I find it unlikely that they'd make a game chronicling his further adventures with Grogu (aka the Child). But if they do make a game starring him, it could chronicle his career as a bounty hunter before the series began. It seems unlikely however, unless series creator Jon Favreau has a hand in writing the game's story. Would be cool though.

Boba-Fett-poster-The-Mandalorian-s2-1-600x383.jpg

Boba Fett - The latest episode featured the return of the fan favorite character who made Mandalorians a thing in the first place. Fett's return was handled brilliantly and could be the start of a new round of Boba related media, including videogames. It's not there isn't a precedent. 2002's Star Wars Bounty Hunter starred his father Jango Fett and was well recieved by gamers and critics alike. A game focused on Boba's exploits in the post Return of the Jedi universe would be sweet if done right.

Mandalorian-18-11-TP-1361876.jpg

Bo Katan Kryze - Episode 11 featured the live action debut of this character from the Clone Wars cartoon played by Katee Sackoff. Due to my not watching Clone Wars and the Rebels series I'm not that familiar with Bo Katan as a character. Still, it was cool to see a female Mando leader in action and that could translate well into a videogame.

pasted_image_0.png

A new character - This for me seems the most likely scenario and would allow developers more freedom to craft a story that would fit well in a videogame. In the series it's implied that there are many mandalorians in hiding after the purge of Mandalore by the Empire. The player could start out as the member another Mandalorian covert in some other part of the galaxy doing missions for the benefit of the clan.

Again, this is all just speculation since EA likes to move at a snail's pace when producing a new Star Wars game. But man it would it be sweet to play as a Mandalorian. But what say you GAF?

daveonezero

Banned
New and might as well go Old Republic to flesh out the non cannon stuff and go to where Mandalore was at it's peak.

Alx

Oh, I haven't watched season 2 (and I probably won't, so never mind the spoilers). I thought it was cooler when he was just wearing the suit with no relation to the planet of origin, actually.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

In a game based purely on The Mandalorian it would make sense to have Din as the main protagonist.
I think that could make for a great single player rpg, however I'd also like a Stwarwars MMORPG type based in the underground around the bounty hunter's guild.

Heartkiller

Every episode of Mandalorian that I watch, I turn to my friends and ask, "how the fuck is this not a video game yet?". I don't care if it's inspired by Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, or what... we just need a Star Wars game where you play as a bounty hunter and you stroll into seedy towns like the ones that we see in the show. I would definitely prefer if it leaned into the RPG side of things though. Playing as a created character would be awesome. Along those same lines, I would prefer it if the game took place as far away from the Skywalker saga as possible. I think it would work best without any of that baggage, just like KOTOR.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The Jango Fett game had me so hyped back in the day. I've never even loved Star Wars all that much but something about those Fett's (their armor) always made me go a little crazy. I remember having a hell of a time deciding between the Jango Fett game and Playstation 2 version of "Shinobi" around the holidays back then.

I'd like a game centered on Boba Fett, but I'm not sure the oft-assumed idea of going around in third-person, with uncharted-like set pieces, and collecting tons of bounties truly appeals to me. I'd want something a bit different or surprising. Maybe a game inspired more by Metroid Prime, where both third and first person are mandatory at times and we can have a heavy emphasis on exploring worlds with puzzles, platforming, and a higher focus on one-on-one encounters than we typically get in a Star Wars game.

Like, I don't want to fight more than, say, a dozen humanoid like enemies in this game. I rather the bulk of each mission be about tailing a bounty through a hazardous world of environmental dangers, with bouts or chases with them in between. So Metroid Prime with a dash of "Evolve" and "Armored Core" thrown in, maybe. Just spitballing.

Last edited:

yurinka

If it's a game The Mandalorian game the main character must be The Mandalorian (Mando/Din).

The other characters may be ok to have them playable for small portions of the game and the multiplayer, but that's all.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’m down for a KOTOR III that’s shoehorned onto the Mando franchise? Like if MS could partner with BioWare and Obsidian and make that happen it would be way more interesting to me than a Jedi Fallen Order clone with Mandos.

MastaKiiLA

The show would make a good game, a bunch of fetch quest, for a bunch of NPC.
Indeed. It's pretty much perfect. A bunch of side quests from various NPCs. Upgrading armor with beskar pieces, and I assume eventually upgrading that shitbox he flies around in (Slave-1 endgame?). Baby Yoda as one of the main quests. It has to be Mando.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Well we already have dark troopers so why not just say fuck it and bring on Kyle Katarn.

HeadsUp7Up

I don’t normally buy games day one but I’m in for this and any Jedi Fallen Order sequel. I just played it recently and I can’t wait to dive back in once I get a Series X. Unlike the new movies, the games and The Mandalorian have rekindled my love for the all things Star Wars.

Antelope

I don’t want them to ruin the only good Star Wars film or tv property in several decades. I hope they leave it alone.

Also, Jedi Fallen Order is already pretty good. It could be great with some more polish.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I don't think they're going to do The Mandalorian game. That said, I would be really hyped if they ever decide to revisit 1313, with either Boba Fett or an original bounty hunter protagonist they have planned before Lucas pitched this change to them.

Spearheadz

A bounty hunter game where you make your own protagonist from a shit-ton of Star Wars races and just take missions/hits with an overarching storyline would be badass.

Top Bottom