• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Mortal Kombat movie sequel is in development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Warner Bros.-owned film studio has hired Fantastic 4 and Moon Knight writer Jeremy Slater to pen the Mortal Kombat 2 script, Deadline reports.

Come Here Warner Bros GIF by Mortal Kombat Movie
Warner Bros Tongue GIF by Mortal Kombat Movie

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would have been upset if I paid to watch the last one in the theater. Thank goodness for HBOMax. Considering they have the Fantastic Four writer on the team to write the script I can already tell this is going to be a RedBox rental for me.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new interview with The Direct, Slater talked about how Mortal Kombat 2 looks to build on what worked for the first movie, while also taking fan critiques into consideration.

"It's really fun so far. We're about halfway through the script. I'm working really closely with the director and the studios, and the game guys, and I think—I can't say anything about the actual story, but I think they definitely learned some lessons the last time around in terms of, 'Here's the stuff fans responded to, and here's what people liked out of the movie, and here's the stuff that didn't work out as well as we hoped.' So we're really looking at this as a chance to take everything that worked in the first one and do it even better and give the audience even more, and make something that is just incredibly satisfying, and really exciting, and unpredictable," Slater told The Direct.

While Slater did not reveal any specific details about the sequel, the end of the first film saw Lewis Tan's Cole Young on a mission to recruit Johnny Cage. Cage was noticeably absent from the movie, despite playing a significant role in the 1995 Mortal Kombat film. Lewis Tan has also stated that he'd like to see Noob Saibot in the sequel. Sub-Zero died at the end of the 2021 film, but actor Joe Taslim has signed on for multiple films. In the games, that version of Sub-Zero is resurrected as Noob Saibot, so it seems like a safe bet the character could appear in Mortal Kombat 2.

Reactions: TLZ
Meh, that first movie wasn't much to write home about, I preferred the Scorpion animated movie. Although saying that, I also preferred the Witcher animated movie over the first two seasons. Maybe live action stuff just sucks these days...

SJRB

Gold Member
Meh, that first movie wasn't much to write home about, I preferred the Scorpion animated movie. Although saying that, I also preferred the Witcher animated movie over the first two seasons. Maybe live action stuff just sucks these days...

Live action sucks because writers often take MASSIVE liberties with the source material ending up creating something that has the right name but barely looks/feels like it.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hopefully, it has a bigger budget. The first one felt cheap. It'd be nice if it had a better script and actors too.

anthony2690

Banned
Man the first seven minutes with scorpion and sub zero, that they put online was incredible.

Then you go and see the film and it's a completely different film after that.

I'd have preferred a film more like the first seven minutes throughout the whole film, the setting was more interesting too.

Also the dude with literal plot armour ruined the film.

Last edited:
the movie was pretty shit. honestly imo the worst MK movie.
Annihilation at least was kinda funny in how stupid and badly made it was.

Annihilation is a better movie.

MK 2021 was a DISASTER. The intro was the best of movie. Man, the movie has 20 seconds or less of fighting, TONS of plot holes...The writter did everything wrong.

Man, Cole Young.

I can make a list with all the fails this movie had, a huge list.

I was so hyped...When i watched, man...I can't think in a worst and bigger disappointment i had on entertainment.

Kudos for the guy who did the trailer, was awesome! Lol

Last edited:

Valt7786

Sequel could either be a big improvement (though I thought it was pretty decent anyway). Either way, could never be as bad as the absolute dross that was the recent Resident Evil film.

Just shoot the fights better for fucks sake. You have sanada and Joe taslim on set yet people shoot it do badly with way to many cuts...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new interview with ComicBook.com's Adam Barnhardt, Mortal Kombat 2 writer Jeremy Slater was asked about Johnny Cage's story in the sequel. While Slater is not sure how much emphasis the film will place on Cage, the writer is hoping to bring the definitive version of the character to the big screen.

"Johnny Cage is one of my favorite characters, and I think there's definitely a promise with the way the first movie ends of seeing Cole being like, 'Okay, my next stop is to go recruit Johnny.' So I think if he wasn't included in the sequel at all, it would feel very strange," said Slater. "It's still a little bit up in the air how much he will be included, it's one of the things we're currently working on. But yeah, I love Johnny and I would love to really do the definitive version, if possible, and really take everything that's fun about that character and bring that to live action."

Graciaus

The new one was fun to watch. Not a great movie or anything but I enjoyed watching it. I look forward to seeing this.

Soodanim

In a new interview with ComicBook.com's Adam Barnhardt, Mortal Kombat 2 writer Jeremy Slater was asked about Johnny Cage's story in the sequel. While Slater is not sure how much emphasis the film will place on Cage, the writer is hoping to bring the definitive version of the character to the big screen.

"Johnny Cage is one of my favorite characters, and I think there's definitely a promise with the way the first movie ends of seeing Cole being like, 'Okay, my next stop is to go recruit Johnny.' So I think if he wasn't included in the sequel at all, it would feel very strange," said Slater. "It's still a little bit up in the air how much he will be included, it's one of the things we're currently working on. But yeah, I love Johnny and I would love to really do the definitive version, if possible, and really take everything that's fun about that character and bring that to live action."
Didn’t they spout some bollocks like you couldn’t have Johnny Cage in the first because you can’t have a white lead? Now he’s the best and they can’t wait to put him in.

Am I misremembering?

bitbydeath

Annihilation is a better movie.

MK 2021 was a DISASTER. The intro was the best of movie. Man, the movie has 20 seconds or less of fighting, TONS of plot holes...The writter did everything wrong.

Man, Cole Young.

I can make a list with all the fails this movie had, a huge list.

I was so hyped...When i watched, man...I can't think in a worst and bigger disappointment i had on entertainment.

Kudos for the guy who did the trailer, was awesome! Lol
Killing Cole off in the opening scene would be a great redemption starting point.

Tomeru

I dunno why they still makemk movies. MK needs more screen time to be any good. Another series is a must. Heck, MK conquest was a better mortal kombat than anything after the original movie (which was cool but thats it).

The guys that greenlight mk movies are morons.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Didn’t they spout some bollocks like you couldn’t have Johnny Cage in the first because you can’t have a white lead? Now he’s the best and they can’t wait to put him in.

Am I misremembering?

You're misremembering.

[Mortal Kombat screenwriter Greg] Russo tells CinemaBlend that Johnny Cage isn't in Mortal Kombat because the crew loved [Josh] Lawson as Kano so much. Russo says they made efforts to fit all of the characters in, but they didn't want to try and fit a character in that they couldn't give proper time to. Ultimately, Lawson's performance as Kano served as more than enough character and Russo and the team decided to save Johnny Cage for a sequel to give him his proper due.

That's actually a pretty good reason in my opinion.

Soodanim

You're misremembering.

That's actually a pretty good reason in my opinion.

Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a white character (like Johnny Cage) being the hero who saves everyone.
“I feel like if I was getting to make a movie with a diverse cast, it felt weird to have a white actor, literally Johnny Cage, be the hero of the story,” Garner says, adding that these discussions took place at the start of the movie’s pre-production nearly seven years ago “way before Black Lives Matter” and other pushes for diversity across industries including Hollywood.

Looks like the Kano excuse came much later

RAIDEN1

The original 1995 movie is yet to be overtaken as the best movie entry of the MK franchise....same is the case with Streetfighter....the 1994 Manga movie is the best SF2 movie out there even to this day

nkarafo

Damn, that last movie was the most generic shit i saw on screen.

I rather re-watch the 1995 movie, it was camp but at least it was memorable.

The first 7min on youtube were absolutely stunning. Then the movie switch into uber trash...

I hear this all the time.

What exactly was stunning about it?

It was a generic, by the book, fight scene. Nothing impressive or over the top or new. Your average Jackie Chan or John Wick fight is far better.

I mean, remove the title and name of the characters and it's just a fight for a made for TV movie with Van Dam or Steven Seagal.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Well yeah it was, the movie could have easily ended up being a Van Damme Streetfighter if not handled correctly...had things not ground to a halt in the early 2000s then there might not have been a need for a reboot, and we might have got a spin-off movie starring Sub-Zero or Kung Lao

Top Bottom