• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new DICE Battlefield for Holiday 2016, Titanfall 2 and Mass Effect 4 by March 2017

It's not to late to simply remake Bad Company 2, Dice. Pleaaaase.

It's too late because DICE are convinced that the humor is why the BC games were niche titles

"When we did the original Bad Company and the sequel, we got a lot of criticism. Why would I play this? It's not a serious shooter, I don't care about this. I want a serious shooter with a more hard-boiled angle. And we thought it was fun! We loved it, we thought it was a great game. The narrative was amazing and the characters were amazing."

"So it's not that we've buried the crew, so to speak," continued Bach. "I love franchises that don't take themselves too seriously."

But to make a game with the broadest appeal then developers need to be "neutral" with humour, Bach argued. "But it is true that for some reason if you want to make a game for the masses, you need to be more neutral when it comes to things like humour, because humour is very personal. Some people love it, some people hate it."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hu...company-a-niche-title-says-dice/1100-6416338/

I find it odd because at last check BC2 had sold over nine million copies. No, it's not as much as BF3, but it's also a spinoff and spinoffs almost always sell less than the mainline titles. Another thing is that a series like Uncharted is entirely built around its humor, and UC4 is going to be one of the biggest games released this year. So I really don't get how humor held BC back.

It's a shame because the BC campaigns and characters were a lot of fun. Now we're stuck with these extremely linear campaigns with throwaway characters that few seem to care about or remember after completing the game. The only thing I remember from BF4 was the horrible storyline between Kimble and Hannah. And I only remember it because it's shockingly bad.

Ridesh

Banned
I'll take the extra time for Mass Effect like a good thing. In the leaks, Andromeda sounded like a lot of busywork.

BioWare, please don't look at Assassin's Creed like you did with Inquisition, look at The Witcher 3, damn, look at Mass Effect 2 and get inspired in terms of side content.

I really hope the next Battlefield is not just another modern shooter. 3 was good, 4 was more of the same (though still good, don't get me wrong), but I really want something new. One thing I'd like is either a futuristic setting again, or even near-future but post-apocalypse, with remaining military forces fighting it out after a nuclear war (or something like that) over remaining resources. I just want a change of setting and weapons! No more USA vs Rogue Nation.

VariantX

It's too late because DICE are convinced that the humor is why the BC games were niche titles

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hu...company-a-niche-title-says-dice/1100-6416338/

I find it odd because at last check BC2 had sold over nine million copies. No, it's not as much as BF3, but it's also a spinoff and spinoffs almost always sell less than the mainline titles. Another thing is that a series like Uncharted is entirely built around its humor, and UC4 is going to be one of the biggest games released this year. So I really don't get how humor held BC back.

It's a shame because the BC campaigns and characters were a lot of fun. Now we're stuck with these extremely linear campaigns with throwaway characters that few seem to care about or remember after completing the game. The only thing I remember from BF4 was the horrible storyline between Kimble and Hannah. And I only remember it because it's shockingly bad.

And that's what kills me about BF3-4's campaign. I don't remember anyone from either campaign except Irish because he drove me nuts but everyone else was just...there. I remember Sweetwater, haggard, sarge, even Marlowe even though he's kind of straight laced. Those jokes are what made me remember and give a shit what happened to them over the course of the campaign.

This quick makes me think tf2 will be mp only again.
I was confused for a minute and then I realized you meant Titanfall 2 and not team fortress 2. That's gonna be annoying.

Anyway as far as Battlefield goes I hope they go in the opposite direction of most mainstream shooters nowadays and go back in time. I'm sick of thruster packs or jet boots or whatever fucking up map design and the grind to unlock 50 attachments in BF4 that also reduced the uniqueness of each weapon blew. Give me iron sights or give me death.

Also I can't help but feel that given how shitty most fps campaigns are now - Battlefield included that people remember the bad company games a little too fondly. Yeah the way it was lighthearted and didn't take itself seriously was cool but the actual level design, gameplay encounters, pacing and story? Pretty crappy.

Bsigg12

This quick makes me think tf2 will be mp only again.

Na. They're a much, much larger team now. They have 2 games in development right now, Titanfall 2 and then a new 3rd person action game led by former Sony Santa Monica studio head Stig Asmussen. Also no on going legal battle.

All in on Battlefield 5. Being the only FPS I really get into and skipping on Hardline, I'm really itching for it. Hope it's 2143 as well for something fresh (to me) and also cautiously hoping that those servers people found on BF4 with bots turns into an offline MP mode.

Fuckkkk, I loved Bad Company 1/2. They were really fun games, both the campaign and multiplayer modes were mad fun. The multiplayer mode is one of the best in the series, great balancing and mechanics. So sad that there won't be a Bad Company 3, I'm ready to start #SaveBadCompany

Fuckkkk, I loved Bad Company 1/2. They were really fun games, both the campaign and multiplayer modes were mad fun. The multiplayer mode is one of the best in the series, great balancing and mechanics. So sad that there won't be a Bad Company 3, I'm ready to start #SaveBadCompany

I prefer BC2 to 3 greatly and slightly prefer it to 4's mp but it had some serious balance issues. M60 pre-patch, an-74 pre-patch, assaults having unlimited grenade launchers and more I can't think of at the moment

NHale

I wonder if the Criterion Racing game will make it to 2017 as well.

Considering how small they are now and how they were still builiding a prototype mid 2014, I would be shocked if that game releases in 2017, unless the scope of the game is clearly reduced.

Looking back at 2014 E3, EA really showed games too early. Mass Effect is a late 2016/early 2017 and they show it almost 3 years before? Publishers never learn and E3 loses so much because of it. It's much easier to get excited for games and the entire industry, if the publishers and devs only show games that are going to be released in the next 12-18 months.

Top Bottom