• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new display called xScreen turns Xbox Series S into a portable console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The xScreen is designed to plug into the Series S’s HDMI and USB ports and folds up to offer an 11.6″ IPS screen.

The screen has a resolution of 1080p and a 60 Hz refresh rate, meaning any Series S games that support 4K or 120fps won’t be able to use these features on the xScreen.

It includes integrated power, meaning it can be powered through the Series S without a need for a second power adapter.

It also features an integrated 5-watt speaker, as well as a latch that holds the screen in place without detaching from the console.

According to its creator UPspec Gaming, the screen will only weigh 695g and can be placed in a 15″ laptop bag along with the Series S for transportation.

The xScreen’s Kickstarter is set to launch soon, but anyone interested can reserve the peripheral for $1 on the xScreen website, which will lock in its ‘early bird’ pricing of $159 (compared to the full price of $249).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not....really portable? i mean the console is the smallest but is not that small to carry around and play on the train or something like that

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Nothing new.

51S3VYMX4EL._AC_SX425_.jpg

MrSec84

Why would you get that when you can get something like this?

It's £179.99 when you use the £10 off voucher.
15.6 inch and 144Hz.

There's also this on Amazon.com:

It's the same size as the one above, 60Hz and it's $149.99 when you use the $20 off voucher.

Both of these are "portable" can be powered through either USB or USB-C, so technically they can be run off the Series S's USB port and you just plug the console in with one cable to the mains and run a HDMI and USB to the monitor.

All these "haha portable" comments are dumb. It can fit in a backpack, it's portable. Something doesn't have to be the size of the Switch to be portable.

As a product though, this is nothing new. PlayStation did it officially with the PSone, and these displays have been around for generations. My friend bought one for his PS4 when he moved to Hong Kong as he didn't want to buy a tv.

CamHostage

All these "haha portable" comments are dumb. It can fit in a backpack, it's portable. Something doesn't have to be the size of the Switch to be portable.
Right, it's "portable", not "handheld".

This is pretty cool, I've liked these screen bolt-ons since the PS One and have had a few unusual uses for them (though I get it, most people would never actually have a need for a little-TV game system, but it helped me when I used to travel.) Having this and then cracking your Xbox SS to play emulators would make it a perfect little toy system for when the home entertainment system TV is busy (and it could still play high-end Xbox Series games too.)

...It is worth noting however, as others have pointed out in this thread, that ultra-portable HDMI monitors are plentiful and cheap these days. The bolt-on/fold-down design is really nice, plus it has its own battery power source (a lot of these PC travel monitors draw power from USB,) but you do have choices.

It's not wireless like the switch, but it's the next closest thing. Would be cool for kids in a long car ride.

Unfortunately, no. The Xbox Series S would still need a power source, and it's not really built to run off of a cigarette lighter adapter power source. Maybe you could figure something out, but it's really just good for when you get there.

Last edited:

elliot5

Right, it's "portable", not "handheld".

This is pretty cool, I've liked these screen bolt-ons since the PS One and have had a few unusual uses for them (though I get it, most people would never actually have a need for a little-TV game system, but it helped me when I used to travel.) Having this and then cracking your Xbox SS to play emulators would make it a perfect little toy system for when the home entertainment system TV is busy (and it could still play high-end Xbox Series games too.)

...It is worth noting however, as others have pointed out in this thread, that ultra-portable HDMI monitors are plentiful and cheap these days. The bolt-on/fold-down design is really nice, plus it has its own battery power source (a lot of these PC travel monitors draw power from USB,) but you do have choices.

Unfortunately, no. The Xbox Series S would still need a power source, and it's not really built to run off of a cigarette lighter adapter power source. Maybe you could figure something out, but it's really just good for when you get there.
I know it needs power.
Amazon.com: BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter: Electronics

I played SNES, N64 and PS3 games on car rides in our Suburban on suspended TV things. Shit was tight. Kids could absolutely play stuff like the XSS with something like that ^

Banned
input lag and response time... those are the 2 important factors here if we're walking about a gaming screen

ACESHIGH

Banned
And of course Neogaf is going to downplay this. Like clockwork.

So overpriced welfare tier hardware and detachable controllers by japanese console maker is fine but this is not?

This is the perfect use case for a series S. 1080P is more than enough for that screen. Add retroarch, gamepad and the fact that it's a cc PROPER next gen console and you are golden.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Sold.

Aw damn missed the $159 early bird price. $189 now. :(

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned

The xScreen is designed to plug into the Series S’s HDMI and USB ports and folds up to offer an 11.6″ IPS screen.

The screen has a resolution of 1080p and a 60 Hz refresh rate, meaning any Series S games that support 4K or 120fps won’t be able to use these features on the xScreen.

It includes integrated power, meaning it can be powered through the Series S without a need for a second power adapter.

It also features an integrated 5-watt speaker, as well as a latch that holds the screen in place without detaching from the console.

According to its creator UPspec Gaming, the screen will only weigh 695g and can be placed in a 15″ laptop bag along with the Series S for transportation.

The xScreen’s Kickstarter is set to launch soon, but anyone interested can reserve the peripheral for $1 on the xScreen website, which will lock in its ‘early bird’ pricing of $159 (compared to the full price of $249).

Portable console

cpu294zc3vpz.jpg

sircaw

Banned
Each to their own, but is there a market for this kind of thing.

it just seems like a very strange product, how many are they hoping to sell.

Certainly not. I never understood these.
I had the PSone display as a kid, and I loved it. I could play it almost anywhere and I did. Now as an adult though, I don't really see the point especially with laptops having insane power. Now they obviously cost a lot more then $500 like this combo would but I also just don't play handheld as much as I used to. Occasionally I will play a VN on my iPad or Switch portably but I'm 95% tv/monitor.

reinking

Gold Member
I had the PSOne, GameCube and a generic fits everything screen for older consoles. We used them for travel and allowed my daughter to play while driving back and forth. These days I do not see a big need. I have access to games and screens everywhere. Even my car has a screen with HDMI input. (I also know the service code to keep the input active even out of park :)). Plus, every monitor I have has HDMI. We also have MS pushing a streaming service that is supposed to make portable consoles irrelevant since we will be able to play on "any device anywhere."

I am sure some people might still have uses for these type of screens but my family has outgrown them. I would be weary of purchasing this without real world reviews. As we know screen quality can vary a lot.

cormack12

Gold Member
Remember portable 14" tv's

s-l300.jpg

Pretty unique use case. Can see chromebook/tablet/phone and xcloud with 5g ultimately being the portable solution though. But this is decent for those with static caravans, holiday homes for the kids etc.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really like this thing.

s-l500.jpg

I think Sony's Ericcson team was super talented and used to make killer phones in the 2000s. I hate how Sony and Blackberry just stopped innovating after the iphone came out. They shouldve continued to push stuff like this instead of just copying Apple and killing their brand.

Not bad but I prefer these for my portable gaming. It's a shame the xsx and ps5 are so damn big they will probably have to wait for a slim version to come out before they make a current Gen system model.

I tried out this with my Xbox one s hooked up to my Jackery 1000 and 1500 watt battery generators and played some RE8 . It only used about 80 watts to run both the TV and system . Pretty slick , can easily play for 10 hours on the 1000 and 15+ on my 1500 before they run out of juice.
OSFD7Pc.jpg

Portal, relative to a PS5, sure. Portable to an actual handheld....eh. Still cool though.
I have a Series S and they're tiny as fuck. Literally just carry around a tiny box and plug in the power to an outlet and you're ready to play. Its a cool product for people traveling.

iHaunter

I have a Series S and they're tiny as fuck. Literally just carry around a tiny box and plug in the power to an outlet and you're ready to play. Its a cool product for people traveling.
Definitely more portable than the other consoles, outside of the Switch which I don't really count.

coffinbirth

If you have to plug it into an outlet it's no longer portable.
It can still be carried around, so no.
That's just me being pedantic about the actual definition of the word portable, haha.
It's absolutely portable...but it's not a handheld, as Cam already previously pointed out.

If I can go Glamping with this mafk, it's pretty damn portable!

baphomet

It can still be carried around, so no.
That's just me being pedantic about the actual definition of the word portable, haha.
It's absolutely portable...but it's not a handheld, as Cam already previously pointed out.

If I can go Glamping with this mafk, it's pretty damn portable!

So any console and a monitor are portable because they can be carried around is what you're saying? Being tied to the power mains is the opposite of being portable. Not handheld, portable.

The Wii U was easier to carry around, and it was far from being a portable.

Top Bottom