• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A NewPS5 Model has Appeared in Australian Stores

Well between games crashing, software busting, green screen errors, bad disc reads, software bugs deleting files, reset mode crashing or bricking consoles, heating issues, controller disconnects, purple screen, and storage self erasure, these new models may be needed.

Granted some of those were rumors but a few actually happen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well between games crashing, software busting, green screen errors, bad disc reads, software bugs deleting files, reset mode crashing or bricking consoles, heating issues, controller disconnects, purple screen, and storage self erasure, these new models may be needed.

Granted some of those were rumors but a few actually happen.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Derktron

Banned
Incredible. A new screw. And I thought the PS5 firmware and HDD threads were exhilarating reads.
When it comes to anything for Sony people on here and elsewhere (AKA Twitter) goes into fanboy horny mode. Anyways I still can't find a PS5 yet. So the adventures continue.

3liteDragon

Wait I thought it was supposed to be the 6nm model next year that's 300g light? Is this the 6nm model?

Last edited:
I don't love how my PS5 looks but it seems really well put together (a bit of coil whine but nothing bad) unlike the PS4 which you could tell was a piece of shit day 1 so I'm in no rush to hunt for the next great model number this time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new video from tech YouTuber Austin Evans (which you can find above), the internals of this new PS5 model were looked over in great detail. Based on what was found with this new version, the console itself is now lighter than the previous one, but the reason for this change can be found with what was inside. When opening up this PS5 and comparing it to the previous version, the heatsink aspects of the new PS5 seem to be slightly different than the original iteration. In a move that was clearly meant to help offset manufacturing costs of the PS5, Sony removed a large portion of the heatsink that was seen in the first revision of the console, which led to this drop in weight.

In turn, this change is also one that may have an effect on how the console performs. The smaller heatsink in the new PS5 led to the console running hotter than the original model in tests that were conducted. Although the difference wasn't a major one and the hotter temperature of the new PS5 isn't necessarily a cause for concern, it does show that the first version of the platform that began releasing last year is definitely the better of the two.

Tech YouTuber Austin Evans managed to obtain the revised PlayStation 5 model, which quietly went on sale in Japan and Australia this month.

After taking the console apart, he discovered that the new console has an updated fan design and small changes to its Wi-Fi antennas, which could match plans for a new wireless communication module mentioned in a Sony document earlier this year.

However, by far the most significant change discovered in the teardown was confirmation that the revised console weighs 300g less than the original model – as first suggested by a Sony hardware manual – due to a significantly reduced heat sink.

A heat sink is a device designed to transfer heat away from CPUs, GPUs and chipsets so that they can run more efficiently and safely. Without effective cooling, hardware can degrade over time and performance can be affected.

The original PlayStation 5 already runs hot and the recent introduction of expandable NVMe SSD storage requires users to add further cooling via an additional heat sink.

The new PS5’s heat sink appears to have been made much smaller than the original launch design, likely due to new learnings from Sony’s engineering team but also to save costs.

Sony has been selling PS5 consoles at a loss since launch, but it recently claimed it was now able to sell PlayStation 5’s digital version at a profit for the first time.

This could possibly be related to the virtual removal of copper from the new PS5’s model’s heat sink, as revealed in Evan’s teardown. During the pandemic the price of copper has increased significantly and contributed to the scarcity of components needed to manufacture electronics devices.

While the smaller heat sink doesn’t necessarily mean that the new PS5 will run hotter than the launch model, Evans’ temperature test – which only took readings from the exhaust vents, rather than internal components – suggested that the new model was emitting around 3C more heat than the launch console.

However, this could easily mean that the new model is simply blowing out heat more efficiently, rather than running hotter components, so more thorough tests will be required to determine whether the new heat sink has actually made a difference in performance.

Evans said in the video: “I would guess what’s happened is Sony, now that they’ve got almost a year of PS4 data and they’ve spent more time testing, have determined that while, yes, this is going to run a little bit hotter, that’s probably fine and it won’t negatively impact thing that much.”

He went on to criticise Sony’s decision to reduce PS5’s heat sink. “I don’t think there’s any argument that this is a worse console, at least for thermals and the cooling,” he said.

“Maybe they’ve changed some Wi-Fi stuff, maybe as we dig deeper into this we’ll find more quirks and features, but as far as I’m concerned I would rather have a launch PS5.”

new-PS5-fan-1440x1080.jpg
new-PS5-heatsink-1440x1080.jpg

Top Bottom