• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

Interfectum

damn, luckily i never liked this franchise at all, avoided another 30fps game.
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Like I told you in the other thread... this will be the norm soon.

nowhat

Don't mind me, I'm just getting the popcorn ready for the inevitable Digital Foundry thread.

Happy Food GIF by Regal

Just looking at some of these early performance comments you know it's going to be one of the good ones.
Yeah, about an hour in on PS5 and I think I'll let this one sit in the oven for at least a couple of patches.

It may be nominally 40fps on a 120Hz display, but stable it is not, and there appears to be no LFC. And as said, the motion blur is terrible (and no controls for it on a console beyond on/off). This is no 40fps as implemented by for example Insomniac.

A shame really - while I didn't absolutely love the first game, it still had its moments, quite a few even. And it was commendable that an AA studio would do such a game with their own engine. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but if so, I wonder what happened. The first game runs very nicely at 60fps-ish with the PS5 patch. I'd be happy with 1080p/unlocked if 1080p/60 is out of the question.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
To the folks who have done the New Zealand region change thing before, I'm not gonna lose my save progress if I revert back to the US region tomorrow right ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Don't you have a 4090? If so what are you doing asking these kinds of questions?

Got the xbox hooked upto the CX so wanted to try it first. Will deffo run sweet on my new 1440p monitor though. I'm currently on my 3080 as I'm waiting for a founders edition 4090. The strix was overkill, too big and expensive.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Got the xbox hooked upto the CX so wanted to try it first. Will deffo run sweet on my new 1440p monitor though. I'm currently on my 3080 as I'm waiting for a founders edition 4090. The strix was overkill, too big and expensive.

Watch skill ups review if you have a moment. It's really not looking too hot from a performance perspective. I will probably try it on my 2070S but will likely end up parking it until I can get my hands on a 4090.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Played around 1 hour and man does this look game gorgeous (though some places do have weaker textures). It's my first game on new LG G2 65" OLED and I am marveling on almost everything. The bright highlights, the color. Muaah.

I am on PC so thankfully no performance issues yet (3080).

Reactions: Isa

twilo99

Why does it still say "coming soon" on gamepass?

They said day 1 .. I'm getting close to requesting a refund for my wholse subscription.

SLB1904

Banned
Terribly optimised all around. There is no excuse for this game resolution and framerate. Skipping this. I didn't play the first one anyway

Also loading times 20sec too long

Last edited:

Beechos

Dont care how the reviews are for the sequel the 1st game was so charming and came out of nowhere. Will play and beat it to see how their journey ends.

Also read that they have no plans for a sequel. I love it when games get to their natural end.
Will look forward to what they do next for sure.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just made a few comparisons with original game all maxed out in 4K (Requiem in 4K with 140% rendering resolution, DLSS Quality and pretty much all maxed out except a few settings I though were related to RT at Ultra, so I left them at High) and...

Holly effin' shit you guys:messenger_face_screaming:

That's Red Dead Redemption 2 and Forbidden West level of upgrade right here. And the game runs at these settings with 140% rendering above 4K on my 3070 with 30 FPS locked except a few stutters here and there and very strange camera behaviour - it slows down smoothly for a half a sec and then resumes moving, which can happen a few times while you move it around - hell of I know what's casing this but Asobo needs to fix this asasp.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just made a few comparisons with original game all maxed out in 4K (Requiem in 4K with 140% rendering resolution, DLSS Quality and pretty much all maxed out except a few settings I though were related to RT at Ultra, so I left them at High) and...

That's Red Dead Redemption 2 and Forbidden West level of upgrade right here. And the game runs at these settings with 140% rendering above 4K on my 3070 with 30 FPS locked except a few stutters here and there and very strange camera behaviour - it slows down smoothly for a half a sec and then resumes moving, which can happen a few times while you move it around - hell of I know what's casing this but Asobo needs to fix this asasp.

That's a generational difference, for sure. I'll get it just to provide my 4090 with a workout. Too bad they doubled the length, first one was short and sweet. It's not my type of game so I'm afraid I won't finish it like the first one.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Played it for about 20 minutes (FF XIV servers down) and few things are bothering me.

The first game was pretty good - until they introduced the rat powers which was just stupid and a big cliché. It should've stayed as a stealth game. I understand that's hard to keep up, designing challenging maps where stealth is not evident but not too hard either. But no superpowers, they are cheap and just stupid. Dishonored at least could be played without using them which I did.

Evidently this second game will have rat powers more prominently.

The girl... Amicia? Why is her dialogue like she's eight years old? Why she has zero personality (this didn't bother me in the first game, I wonder if I didn't just pay attention to it or did they change it)? Why is she just a yes-yes girl to her brother? In comparison, the boy's actor is quite good, he can deliver even flat dialogue lively and sounding like he's not phoning it in.

Lastly, I tried it over cloud. Pretty bad quality, especially in faster moving parts. What is interesting, Microsoft Edge browser is much, much better, bordering flawless, when playing Xbox cloud. Why isn't their own system?

hlm666

There doesn't seem to be any RT in this from what I can tell, was the RTX video jsut ment to mean reflex and dlss? Not really having any performance issues on a 3080, it bottomed out at ~70fps in one part so far but the average has been around 100.

edit: 1440p dlss quality, ultra settings except motion blur and CA both turned off.

Last edited:

Isa

I just finished a quick run through the first and hopped into this. Took a good bit to get used to the framerate, the first was butter smooth, also a few control differences lol. The game is a real looker though, wow! The world design and architecture is gorgeous, I'd love to see them design a fantasy world.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You have to have both vrr and 120hz enabled to unlock the framerate
How high does the framerate go in the unlocked mode?
Got any videos or pictures of it with the framerate unlocked?

Not getting the console version but curious to see how high they can actually push these consoles with these visuals.

Jeez this is a massive massive upgrade from the first game.
Gotta give them props for the work they have done.
Considering they are a relatively small studio its quite the accomplishment.
Custom engine too.....well done to them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've been looking forward to this, but those framerates... bloody hell. I knew developers would prioritise shinies eventually, but I didn't realise 60fps would be over the instant previous gen consoles were left behind.

Last edited:

M1987

I've been looking forward to this, but those framerates... bloody hell. I knew developers would prioritise shinies eventually, but I didn't realise 60fps would be over the instant previous gen consoles were left behind.
I know they're a small team,but I expected at least 1440p/60,4k/30.I have it installed,but I don't know if I'm going to play it yet

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I know they're a small team,but I expected at least 1440p/60,4k/30.I have it installed,but I don't know if I'm going to play it yet
I'll definitely give it a look, I've got it installed too, and I know it's a slower sort of game, but I still appreciated the 60fps when playing the previous game.

The thing that some people don't seem to get is that 60fps makes everything look better. Anything that moves anyway. Even panning across a countryside scene - it doesn't need to be a fast paced fps to get the benefit. Yes, the screenshots of this game look great, but 30fps = blurring and smearing and that ruins everything.

Ha! I think I just talked myself out of trying it.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That's a generational difference, for sure. I'll get it just to provide my 4090 with a workout.
Holly effin' shit you guy

No way these posts are serious right...? Game looks good but not HOLY SHIT looking good unless you never played modern games before, nor a generational difference unless you're blind. Jesus the hyperbole in this thread is off the charts. Imagine getting a 4090 just to play this at decent framerates. What the fuck is this insanity? Are gamers getting dumber with each year?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The game is just graphically intensive.
Even on low its still quite taxing.
Youll need to really min-max on your settings to get the game to run right.
Consoles probably need some settings lower than low....draw distance should be scaled back and/or they need to implement Mesh Shaders in their engine ASAP.
A-Plague-Tale-Requiem-CPU-benchmarks-graphics-settings-benchmarks.png

And just like the first game it seems the engine doesnt particularly like SMT/Hyperthreading.
A-Plague-Tale-Requiem-CPU-benchmarks.png

Trunim

I don’t remember being this annoyed at Amicia and hugo in the first game. The dialogue is annoying, you really want them to stop the constant whining.

darrylgorn

If they're going to limit the framerate to 30fps on consoles, you might as well get it on Switch so you can play it on the go.

Edit: Nvm, apparently it's only a cloud version, which is a pretty dumb release decision.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is legit the first NEXT GEN game ive seen. Holy fucking shit it is insane.

Fair play the character models are not to the level of a naughty dog LOU 1 remake but the whole package far exceeds anything ive seen before. the whole image is insane. Also, this is the first game that DLSS has truly blown my mind. It feels like a PC ass PC next gen game. Im running a mix of high and ultra at 1440p DLSS quality with no motion blur or CA and im getting 100FPS and my jaw is legit on the floor. I can see why consoles are struggling. The amount of foliage, the textures on the environments, rocks etc. it reminds me when I first saw Witcher 2 on my PC back in the day vs consoles then.

Mind Blown!

Kokoloko85

Me too! Recently seeing that so many people had a problem with LoU2's length which is crazy to me. We never get AAA wide linear games with that much length and no padding. It's not like the story telling was bad either. I can understand people not liking the story but it was done well enough to remain interesting throughout.

Yeah I dont get why people complain. “Pacing” or “it was too much” & ”I had enough by that point”.

Had enough of what, playing a great game? Literally these same people will play COD or Fornite for hundreds of hours…

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No way these posts are serious right...? Game looks good but not HOLY SHIT looking good unless you never played modern games before, nor a generational difference unless you're blind. Jesus the hyperbole in this thread is off the charts. Imagine getting a 4090 just to play this at decent framerates. What the fuck is this insanity? Are gamers getting dumber with each year?

So much anger! :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Anyway, I just played the first area. Ultra settings, 4k with DLSS set to Quality. ~120FPS. Looks bonkers. This is definitely a game you want to play on a controller in the living room, so that's what I'm gonna do in the evening. It's not the best fit for M+K and "only" 42 inch OLED TV disguised as a PC monitor.

Top Bottom