• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
its deffo a next gen only game. Sure it might not be as optimized as some big titles but the engine and world size etc is very impressive. Series S is putting in work running this!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That photo mode has a lot to be desired. First of all it lets you NOCLIP through literally anything, second, depth of field is weird...sometimes your own character is blurry when taking a screenshot but the scene in front of them is crystal clear.
Lower the near field

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Something doesn't add up. I'm getting almost rock solid 60 FPS (almost because there are some minor hitches; mostly when it loads new location) on a mix of High and Very High settings.

RTX 2060 Super, Ryzen 3600, 1080p, DLSS Balanced.

Unless we're talking about no DLSS then yeah, it's not pretty.
Whats the internal resolution with DLSS Balanced? Do you know?

I know in cybperunk, DLSS quality halves the internal resolution when running the game in 4k to 1440p, and down to 1080p in Performance, but ive always wondered what resolution Balanced uses.

hlm666

For me it worked. Changes shadows and the framerate went down a lot. I changed to 3 lines. Ray Tracing, SSRaytracedShadows and RaytracedShadows.
SSRraytracedshadows were enabled already so I didn't touch that, I turned raytracing to 1 and raytracedshadows to 1 and no difference, same framerate and couldn't see any changes to shadows (I was in an underground area with rats and numerous lights so there should have been an impact). I noticed when I quit the game it set raytracing back to 0 so I changed it again and set the file to read only and tried again and same story no performance impact and no visible changes.

hlm666

Whats the internal resolution with DLSS Balanced? Do you know?

I know in cybperunk, DLSS quality halves the internal resolution when running the game in 4k to 1440p, and down to 1080p in Performance, but ive always wondered what resolution Balanced uses.
4k balanced = 2227x1253
2k balanced = 1485x835

it goes quality->balanced->performance in render resolution.

ren008

Neo Member
Seems like more Plague Tale innocence, which isn't a bad thing as I really enjoyed it.

For consoles I wish they'd put a 40hz toggle in the options menu. I've got my SX plugged into a port that only does 1440p @ 120hz. Spent a while trying to figure out why the SX was outputting a 4k signal and dropped the refresh rate to 60.

Turns out the SX will force the highest resolution the port is capable of, even if you select the refresh rate as 120.
Need to de-select "Allow 4k" in video options menu. You will lose HDR doing this on Xbox however to get that 120hz 1440p mode.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
how is this game in comparison to the first one?
I literally am going from part 1 right into part 2. They are pretty similar, but I'm just on chapter 1 still. I think a lot of the animations are literally exactly the same also. Such as the guards discovering you, hitting you with a punch then doing the single downward chop. Exactly the same. Using the sling looks exactly the same.

The character models are updated though and the environments look extremely good. But honestly, they looked extremely good last time as well. The controls are slightly changed and you can tell there's some new abilities coming soon.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just finished Chapter III. Game of the fuckin' year for me, period. Also, the more I'm playing, the more jaw-droping the game is visually. As for narrative so far, the way Asobo written Amicia this time around, how emotional she becomes to a point of emotional breakdown at some point, the way voice actress voiced her deserves a fuckin' Oscar.
pPxREWZ.jpg
P6qCN9R.jpg
lV8YveD.jpg
This is how Aloy should behave in most life and death situations and scenes, when you need to show emotions in Horizon, but instead we barely see anything from her on that front which disappointed me a lot in Forbidden West. And yeah, I know that she's written that way cuz of who she is but at the same time it does not make sence when you see your friend die etc. and show almost nothing in the moment or after. Guerrilla clearly has something to learn from Asobo on that front.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Random complaint, when you make me have a sidekick or companion or whatever...dont put them in the centr of the screen. When you are walking with the dumb little boy, it kinda slides you to the left side of the screen and the kid in the middle even though you control the girl...kinda annoying

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I haven't seen everything when it comes to combat yet, but what they did with stealth so far is a big improvement over original game. Checkpoints are MUCH better now, so you just can't start encounter each time from the biginning like in original game, thank fuck for that. You also can't die from the first or even second strike when enemies hit you, unlike instant game over in the fist game everytime you're seen by anyone. Enemies are way smarter now, searching you everywhere so you can't feel safe anywhere if rats not helping you keep them at bay. There's also more options to do stealth by hiding under tables and stuff like that, throwing rocks (which are unlimited now) quickly to avoid detection and make a split second decisions. All in all, they've improved gameplay big time and I can't be more happy to see this, cuz I hated the first game's guts for the way stealth, save system and combat worked in it.

But if there's one thing to complain about, it has to be the way stupid scripts work (spoiler):
So you can save herbalist in one of the chapters, but to fuckin' do it, I had to replay this fuckin' moment like 20+ effin' times cuz I could't make rats to eat only soldiers, or soldier rushed for me and herbalist died cuz of rats etc. etc. etc. Each time something stupid happened and I had to replay. I was at a point of throwing my DualSense at a monitor. Why the fuck does it have to be SO effin' hard to save an NPC, huh? Asobo, are you effin' nuts? Jesus fuckin' Christ almighty.

denzel-washington-pissed.gif

Last edited:

marjo

Just finished chapter 3, and I'm not sure what to think. The graphics are excellent, the setting unique, and story seems pretty good, but the gameplay just seems so prescribed.

Like most of these cinematic 3rd person action games, I feel like the creators have a certain way they expect you to do things, are you're just basically going through the motions. The one 'puzzle' I came across basically had the characters tell you exactly what to do. Step by step. What was the point? Where's the player agency?

I don't know, maybe this type of game just isn't for me.

M1987

Played it for about an hour on the Series X,and the framerate feels horrible,and feels below 30fps a lot of the time

protonion

Finished the first two chapters on PS5.

The graphics are truly incredible at times.
Some performance issues here and there but the do not bother me.

The game itself on the other hand...
I loved the original and this is more of the same, but at the same time something feels off.
The stealth sections are bigger with many routes and options which may sound good, but the focused and puzzly stealth design of the first game is lost.
The original also had a way stronger beginning.

It's not bad by any means but I really hope it gets better.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Anyone else get confused where you're supposed to be going in some of the larger sneaking bits?. Died quite a lot of times just working out where the game wants me to go.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone else get confused where you're supposed to be going in some of the larger sneaking bits?. Died quite a lot of times just working out where the game wants me to go.
That sounds pretty annoying. The first game was almost all super easy and scripted with one obvious way to go. Not the best gameplay, but it kept the pace moving along nicely.

Stuart360

That sounds pretty annoying. The first game was almost all super easy and scripted with one obvious way to go. Not the best gameplay, but it kept the pace moving along nicely.
Well there are quite a lot of these large areas with different routes where yuo have to sneak past multiple enemies. The game doesnt always make it clrear where you are actually trying to get to though as there is no map or markers etc

Actually after playing Scorn then coming to this I'm finding rather straightforward. Scorn was quite frustrating at times.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Regarding my screenshots

I WAS IN THE POOOL

I WAS IN THE POOOOOOL!

I think it has to do with HDR being on since I didn't even mess with things hardly when it comes to brightness.

Bojji

Depth of field in this game is like PS2 quality level, distant objects look like shit.

Playing on series x, 30fps feels bad...

twilo99

I am getting a lot of blown highlights as well, what's the remedy? Do i need to upgrade to Win11 for auto HDR? I can't find any HDR settings inside the game.

Otherwise this game looks incredible.

Everything on HIGH @ 1440p the 6800xt runs it between 50 and 120 frames so basically unplayable without a VRR panel.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am getting a lot of blown highlights as well, what's the remedy? Do i need to upgrade to Win11 for auto HDR? I can't find any HDR settings inside the game.

Otherwise this game looks incredible.

Everything on HIGH @ 1440p the 6800xt runs it between 50 and 120 frames so basically unplayable without a VRR panel.
I'm thinking it's an HDR or bloom issue. I think you disable bloom in the video settings. Not home right now but I'll try later. It does look pretty good and runs stellar.

More than anything I have to try it without frame generation to compare exact performance differences.

Bojji

Disable motion blur, it's not very good here.

First thing I did ;)

You want nice graphics the framerate must suffer unfortunately.

Horizon FW looks about on par in terms of fidelity, yet it is fully open world and either 4K/30 (compared to 1440p here) or 60FPS with dynamic res and CB (looks ok after the patch).

Asobo has fucked up priorites here and even after adjusting to this "cinematic" framerate I still have to deal with pixelated depth of field and other screen smearing techniques they used (thank god player can disable CA).

First thing I did ;)

Horizon FW looks about on par in terms of fidelity, yet it is fully open world and either 4K/30 (compared to 1440p here) or 60FPS with dynamic res and CB (looks ok after the patch).

Asobo has fucked up priorites here and even after adjusting to this "cinematic" framerate I still have to deal with pixelated depth of field and other screen smearing techniques they used (thank god player can disable CA).
Budgets my friend.

Seriously. The first game took a while but got a free next gen patch. I think they just struggled to get it out the door on time. I expect optimization to improve over time, unfortunately. Even Horizon had to get patches though.
You expect a 60fps version on console? Hopefully but it's a lovely looking game IMO.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You expect a 60fps version on console? Hopefully but it's a lovely looking game IMO.
I would be shocked if they couldn't do a 1080/60, but I have no real informed opinion on it. The game looks awesome, but I didn't think it was a whole generation ahead of the last one. The first one looked super good also. 🤷‍♂️

Considering the fact I hate stealth games I'm here to report that I've been playing this for the last 2 or 3 hours.

It commits two of my biggest gaming sins being a stealth game with unstable performance and I still can't stop playing.

It's really fucking good.

Bojji

Budgets my friend.

As I said, bad priorities. They should have made performance target from from the start and build game around it or just implement dynamic resolution on consoles with optional performance mode.

I would be shocked if they couldn't do a 1080/60, but I have no real informed opinion on it. The game looks awesome, but I didn't think it was a whole generation ahead of the last one. The first one looked super good also. 🤷‍♂️

I have 5700XT so in raw power around PS5 GPU (slighty worse), PC version can do 60FPS in 1080p with mix of low, medium and high settings (with v. high textures).

yamaci17

As I said, bad priorities. They should have made performance target from from the start and build game around it or just implement dynamic resolution on consoles with optional performance mode.

I have 5700XT so in raw power around PS5 GPU (slighty worse), PC version can do 60FPS in 1080p with mix of low, medium and high settings (with v. high textures).
wait until you arrive the 300k rats place. then the game becomes super CPU bound. supposedly 3700x tops around 35-40 fps in those scenes. which could explain why they locked it to 30/40. ihowever the game is not completely compromised of rat scenes, so a VRR unlocked mode would be great

yeah, gladiator place definetely kills the CPU with rats;

nP1nZq3.jpg

HFM5axf.jpg

joys of having full creative control over VRR thankfully enabled me to play the game at 60+ frames up until this point. it is still interesting however. i will proceed to play with variable framerates

Last edited:
Top Bottom