• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
PlagueTale2_2560x1440-f5840bd8286204cb20ae573e160c29f3

Game Information​

Game Title: A Plague Tale: Requiem
Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 18, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 18, 2022)
  • PC (Oct 18, 2022)
Trailers:
Developer: Asobo Studio
Publisher: Focus Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 79% recommended - 14 reviews

OtYUrnY.jpg

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/a-plague-tale-requiem/critic-reviews
Metacritic - 86 average - 14 reviews

eRKBt67.jpg

Critic Reviews​

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8.8 / 10
A Plague Tale: Requiem improves in just the right places. The graphics have been improved, the gameplay and mechanics are better implemented, and everything is a bit bigger and more spacious, but without losing the focus. The focus is still on the immersive and exciting narrative, the characters and their conversations. Only rough technical issues like screen tearing and stutters spoil the picture from time to time.
Cultured Vultures - Ash Bates - 8.5 / 10
A Plague Tale: Requiem is a brilliant follow-up to 2019's cult hit, and could be a real contender for a lot of people's Game of the Year lists.
Dexerto - Jessica Filby - 7 / 10
Hugo and Amicia's story remains just as compelling as it was in Innocence, but A Plague Tale: Requiem swings for the fences by offering more of almost everything that made its predecessor great. Some curious design choices dampen its impact a little, but overall, it's a great return for a duo that are fast becoming some of our favorites.
Enternity.gr - Giannis Archontidis - Greek - 6.5 / 10
Asobo's decisions on the technology behind A Plague Tale: Requiem cause a "one step forward and five steps back" route.
FingerGuns - Toby Andersen - 10 / 10
A masterclass in narrative games design, A Plague Tale: Requiem is one of the most atmospheric and beautiful games you could ever wish to play. Amicia and Hugo's journey is powerful, evocative and downright disturbing and somehow manages to be greater than the original. Asobo Studio has crafted satisfying streamlined rat, light and stealth gameplay that perfectly serves the story it's trying to tell and only adds to the narrative intensity. A Game Of The Year contender for certain.
Gamepur - Aden Carter - 8.5 / 10
A Plague Tale: Requiem is a carefully crafted experience that brings joy from start to finish.
Gamer's Palace - Manuel Eichhorn - German - 75 / 100
Storywise, A Plague Tale: Requiem is a perfect sequel with a lot of characters to like or dislike. This journey with Amicia and Hugo is a lot bigger as well. The gameplay cannot hold up though. There are many AI issues and also some technical issues on PS5 which is unfortunate as I remember the predecessor as a really polished game.
GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5
A Plague Tale: Requiem has a strong identity and a good degree of allowance for player creativity and expression. Moving through its stunning world and spending time with its characters is gratifying – even if many of its setpieces are terrifying or grim, even if its inhabitants are a bit too chatty, and even if there are far, far too many rats. The hope you find on the other side is usually worth the struggle.
SECTOR.sk - Branislav Koh�t - Slovak - 9 / 10
A Plague Tale: Innocence offered already a unique experience and showed great potential, which the developers fully utilized in Requiem. The basic game system hasn't changed much since then, but now you'll be more immersed in the story of the De Rune siblings and their loved ones, which stretched nicely for two dozen hours.
Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 8 / 10
Requiem has refined and improved the formula that made the first game so intriguing. Amicia and Hugo are not the timid children they were at the start of their journey, and while the goal used to be just survival, things have changed: it’s now about making sure that the people they want to be will survive this new hardship.
TechRaptor - Tyler Chancey - 8 / 10
Questionable story beats and tedious combat arenas aside, A Plague Tale: Requiem polishes and refines its stealth action gameplay while keeping its focus on its core cast of characters
The Independent - Jasper Pickering - 8 / 10
Both in scale and execution, A Plague Tale Requiem is an ambitious follow-up to Innocence that retools its core puzzle-and-stealth gameplay for a broader and more satisfying historical narrative adventure with fantasy elements. While puzzles are immediately intuitive and its action elements are much more rewarding, they rarely stretch the player’s brain enough to give much pause, making for a breezy, yet memorable adventure.
TrueAchievements - Sean Carey - 8 / 10
A Plague Tale: Requiem is a fantastic stealth game with an intriguing story (once it finally gets going) that Xbox Game Pass subscribers and fans of the original really shouldn't miss. Requiem's gorgeous, yet bleak and harrowing world is a joy to explore, and thanks to expanded combat and additional options that allow you to approach stealth sections in whatever way you see fit, the gameplay really is a step up over Innocence. A few performance issues, some slightly underbaked characters, and a constantly whispering Amicia do detract from the experience, but overall, Asobo has created a fantastic sequel here that demands a playthrough.
XboxEra - Harm0nica - 7 / 10
the game has a lot of good things going for it. The narrative, puzzles, combat and new game mechanics make for an interesting and worthwhile experience but the extended game length is unnecessary and makes it feel like the story is being padded out to breaking point.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
77 on Open Critic as of this post:

And 86 on Metacritic as of this post:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Meta yanked all the reviews for now? Get it together Meta.

adamsapple

Meta yanked all the reviews for now? Get it together Meta.

I can see them, for some reason they're all concentrated under the games Xbox review page, the other platforms don't show any (even from non-console exclusive outlets)

It's climbed up to 87 on MC

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can see them, for some reason they're all concentrated under the games Xbox review page, the other platforms don't show any (even from non-console exclusive outlets)

It's climbed up to 87 on MC

This is what I see,
6gqvQq4.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Currently 84 on metacritic on ps5 and 85 on series x

Opencritic is still showing 82

They didn’t yank them its just what happens when updating the database around the embargo it pops in and out
That makes sense.

Edit: Now they're showing up for me.

Last edited:

TonyK

Worried about the framerate in Ps5. According to some reviews is atrocious when rats appear on screen.

Just finished the first one yesterday and it was 60fps rock solid. Not sure buying the new one.

twilo99

Got PC game pass for 1 pound, that's a daylight robbery.

Thats what gamepass is in general.

I did the same thing two years ago thinking I'd just give it a go.. Still have it and I haven't bought a single game on steam since.

So in line with the first. In the last few chapters of Innocence. Gonna be a good long week with Amecia and Hugo. Also, heads up to resolution nerds, its 1440 p @ 30fps w/o vrr.

Shtef

Worried about the framerate in Ps5. According to some reviews is atrocious when rats appear on screen.

Just finished the first one yesterday and it was 60fps rock solid. Not sure buying the new one.

There is no 60fps option on consoles, this is what we get

Xbox Series S: 1080p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

Xbox Series X: 1440p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

PS5: 1440p/30fp | 40fps on 120hz

I loved the first game, i will get this on pc instead.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

84 meta, opulent single player experience, day one Game Pass.

Yes, they need more out of first party in this space, but this'll do, pig.

adamsapple

The one comparison we've seen between the consoles (in Heisenberg's post above) also mentions the same. PS5 drops frames in rat swarm areas.

Bojji

There is no 60fps option on consoles, this is what we get

Xbox Series S: 1080p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

Xbox Series X: 1440p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

PS5: 1440p/30fp | 40fps on 120hz

I loved the first game, i will get this on pc instead.

LOL

This is just mindblowing, just give us 60FPS 1080p or something.

Looks like I will play this on PC probably...

Series X is 3x more powerful than S but only get 2x boost in resolution...

Fbh

Sounds like a straightforward sequel that doubles down on everything that made the first one good, which is all I wanted.
I'm playing through a few things right now but I'm definitely getting this before too long.

3liteDragon

This shit’s so confusing, why can’t Meta just group all the platforms together for the games?

Last edited:
Think maybe I’ll wait for them to improve the performance on PS5. Feel like not only will it get a good amount of patches the first couple of weeks but they will add a 60fps mode eventually

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Can't wait. Couldn't take a day off as lots of work but will find time. Just got a G2 65 OLED over the weekend. Can't wait!

FeralEcho

Played it for a bit, and somehow the game made me feel like I am on NeoGAF...

gfp-rat.jpg

mink-blue-rat-sits-her-arms_144367-23.jpg
Animated GIF

Anyway,my copy is already here
XyBDOLW.jpg
only problem....I'm still busy with the first game...On chapter 6 so far,what an incredibile game,Amicia and Hugo are so endearing.Amicia is a great example of a well written strong female character,full of flaws,fears,scars and the will to push through it all to survive.Bravo to the team.

Also the music in the game...
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So the green rats invaded the ps5 version to cause frame drops?

I'm Sure it will be patched.

I loved the first game so super excited but a little gutted to hear its padded out. Still, I'm hyped will try on xbox at 40 fps if I can deal with it I'll stick if not its the PC version on gamepass. Is there rtx or anything that would tip me to PC?

Last edited:
Top Bottom