• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

Yeah, I use DLSS perf at 4K (looks good enough for me) + low/med/high mixed settings. Your approach is cool too. I couldn't notice a huge difference between mixed settings and maxed out. DLSS Perf is a great performance increase factor but it may not be good for you so it depends.
Is the game memory bound?

Jaybe

Finished this. Found most of it very enjoyable. These type of linear third person games are one of my fave genres, but more rare lately, so glad to have a high quality one released.

I like the slight improvements to gameplay with the ammo types being usable as different projectiles. I like the gear upgrades and passive increases by play style rather than another tree to dump points in. Arrow shots in walls and prism are good puzzle solving mechanics, plus hiding under objects. And the ability to throw fire and sticks. Enjoyed the larger sections for combat and the much larger sections for exploration. Some truly beautiful vistas and fields. Better check points and no more instadeath were also pluses.

Graphics for the environment were fantastic on XSX and I played at 40fps, no blur, no CA. Loved the music.

Characters pretty enjoyable especially Amicia, Lucus, Sophia, and even Arnaud. I hated first game Hugo and at least he was a bit better in this one. I didn’t mind the simplistic combat, kind of liked it actually.

It did feel like it dragged on at about 3/5ths through. thankfully it speeds up through the last 5 chapters.

Its biggest failure to me was its writing, particularly the story from about the mid-point on. Then they score an own goal in the last minute of play to lose it.I try not to be too fussed with bad writing in video games since writing is terrible in a lot of media and great writers are rare but this was a letdown.

I hope Asobo now moves on to other concepts, stories, or worlds instead of part 3. If they do another in this world, please no more rats and plague. I’d legit take a slightly older Lucas game with deep alchemy system going on an unrelated adventure.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just finished Chapter XII. Requiem is one of the best story-driven games I even played and for sure the best one since TLOU2 in terms of narrative and characters. There's no way anyone can beat it for me this year or anytime soon. What an effin' achievement for a team of just 70 extremely talanted people and without backing from huge AAA publishers or platform holders such as Sony and MS.

P.S. Someone give Charlotte McBurney a fuckin' oscar already!
TQ7hHpt.jpg
giphy.gif

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just played through the first chapter and all I can think of is oh my god how does anyone have this much drama in their lives? It's a good game and I have enjoyed what I've played so far but how does a random day for someone turn into that?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I just played through the first chapter and all I can think of is oh my god how does anyone have this much drama in their lives? It's a good game and I have enjoyed what I've played so far but how does a random day for someone turn into that?
You've seen nothing yet, keep playing.

Last edited:
Here name is Charlotte McBurney and Amicia in the first game was her first professional role when she was a student at that time.
If she's new then she will go far because imo she did a phenomenal job. Like there are literally parts in that game. I literally feel bad for Amicia because of her performance.

Beechos

Id give the game a 7. Something is off about this game the 1st was amazing but so far im having horizon forbidden west type vibes, where its not doing much for me.

I love the game, but if it me or does it sometimes look a bit... Blurry? Only have it with this game.
I played it on Series X with chromatic aberration and blur turned off, you can tell it's not a 4K game. It's a very good-looking game for sure but it doesn't have the cleanest image, at that framerate it would have been nice if they had found a way to run it at a higher res but I guess they needed all of those rats :)

Id give the game a 7. Something is off about this game the 1st was amazing but so far im having horizon forbidden west type vibes, where its not doing much for me.
I think a 7 is fair, production values are great but the gameplay is still fairly slow and plodding and I'm not really a fan of the sling as the main weapon. I think they should have gone further when it comes to combat and made more additions including more melee options.

Goliath77

Loving it but keep getting hard crashes on the ps5. Console just powers off instantly, no warning or error message. This is the only game it happens with

Hydroxy

Just finished it. Great game overall. I'd give it an 8/10. The story and graphics were really good especially the beautiful screenshot worthy locations. Gameplay did get bit repetitive but still didn't get annoyingly so. Great work by the developers. Didn't face any technical issues on PC other than ofcourse the game being very demanding.

Goliath77

My buddy has had a couple of crashes but not an instant power off like me. Ps5 only restarts when I pull the power lead out and then put in back in again.

I am a little worried but one of my kids played on another game for a couple of hours with no probs and then we watched a movie on it with no issues so I am thinking it must be the game doing something

Isa

Gold Member
Thanks for the reactions and much more surprisingly gold my friends!!! You are too kind!!! I've dreamt of this moment, but never thought it would happen.
The Road To El Dorado Gold GIF

My buddy has had a couple of crashes but not an instant power off like me. Ps5 only restarts when I pull the power lead out and then put in back in again.

I am a little worried but one of my kids played on another game for a couple of hours with no probs and then we watched a movie on it with no issues so I am thinking it must be the game doing something
Seems its affected two PS5's in a similar way. Interesting that only this game causes the issue. I will say a few year's back my Xbox One X shut down on a few occasions when playing Wolfenstein. In the end I stopped playing it and it worked fine with other games 🤔

Venuspower

I finished the game yesterday. Overall I would give it a 8/10. In terms of playing time, it took me about 14 hours. Which is absolutely find for me. Again, I thought the story was phenomenal. I was really taken by the ending. The set pieces of the game were also very nice. In general, the visuals were of course very good again. The score and general audio quality was also excellent.

I deduct points from the performance, because of some bugs in the gameplay and because of the generally somewhat stiff gameplay. I played the game on the PS5 on an LG C9. I was able to play with the 40 FPS mode. The FPS drops were just extremely noticeable. I also found it a shame that there was no proper HDR calibration. The game could have definitely looked even better here. I am already looking forward to the potential successor. Will also be Day 1 for me.

Roberts

Finished it. Despite the fact that the game does two arena/horde set-pieces (my least favourite gameplay parts) one after another near the end, the last chapters elevated the game to a very solid 8 or 8.5/10 rating. You just get dragged through so many desperate situations and emotions - when you think it cannot get worse, it gets worse. So, dramatically it is a noticeable improvement over first game.

TonyK

Just finished last night. A lot better than the first one. However, I prefer the simpler and more "realistic" story of Innocence, but the rest, from graphics, to gameplay, narrative is better here.

Also, I truly liked the sense of discovery. At sometimes, the sense of entering a new place, the scale, the grimness, reminded me of From Software games.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
How many people worked on this? Has to have had much bigger budget and manpower for this one. This is fully AAA now.
About 70 peoples. Asobo has around 270 employees of which 200 works permanently on Flight Simulator (they have a 10 years contract on it) and the rest on A plague Tale.
Source : An Asobo dev friend of mine told me that IRL two weeks ago.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
About 70 peoples. Asobo has around 270 employees of which 200 works permanently on Flight Simulator (they have a 10 years contract on it) and the rest on A plague Tale.
Source : An Asobo dev friend of mine told me that IRL two weeks ago.

Man what they have achieved here in terms of scale, graphics, presentation, narration etc. is full AAA. And all that with just 70 people and done within 2-3 years? This is mind-blowing efficiency and project management. Hats off!
And its a very long game too! Took me just over 24 hours to finish it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint is that there are some areas where enemies keep coming or it becomes really hard to fight them with the given tools.
9.5/10 will fully recommend.

Flabagast

Man what they have achieved here in terms of scale, graphics, presentation, narration etc. is full AAA. And all that with just 70 people and done within 2-3 years? This is mind-blowing efficiency and project management. Hats off!
And its a very long game too! Took me just over 24 hours to finish it and thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint is that there are some areas where enemies keep coming or it becomes really hard to fight them with the given tools.
9.5/10 will fully recommend.
Its like always, there are probably an additionnel 200 to 300 (if not more) external developers working on assets creation, animation, sound etc etc.. just look at the credit.

I still do not understand why gamers are not smart enough to not understand that the number of employees of the core studio is not indicative of the real workforce behind any game. It reminds me of « omg The Ascent was made by 10 devs ». I then looked at the credit and saw that was only 10 leads conducting an army of 200+ external devs lmao (without counting support fonctions, marketing etc..)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Its like always, there are probably an additionnel 200 to 300 (if not more) external developers working on assets creation, animation, sound etc etc.. just look at the credit.

I still do not understand why gamers are not smart enough to not understand that the number of employees of the core studio is not indicative of the real workforce behind any game. It reminds me of « omg The Ascent was made by 10 devs ». I then looked at the credit and saw that was only 10 leads conducting an army of 200+ external devs lmao (without counting support fonctions, marketing etc..)

I think you are right, though still it doesnt take anything away from their project management skills at least. The same outsourced resources are available to many studios yet it takes them much longer to put out a AAA game with multiple delays.
Not saying Asobo are the only ones good at it or are wizards or something, but they are damn good at it no doubt.

Bojji

I love the game, but if it me or does it sometimes look a bit... Blurry? Only have it with this game.

Maybe horrible depth of field.

Finished the game, I'm in love. One of the best games this year, it's "Sony style" game with linear gameplay and heavy storytelling but it does it much better than TLOU2 for sure. Story is heartbreaking ... So I'm quite depressed now.

Overall 9\10 from me, i hate fucking 30fps with no choices (40fps not on my tv) but for this game it's justified at least with amazing GFX quality.

Elios83

I finished it a couple of days ago and it's overall a great game. Great graphics, story, atmosphere. Gameplay is a bit hit and miss, trial and error, it works well only if you understand what developers want you to do. So a bit like the first, but I enjoyed it a lot, could even go for platinum before God of War hits.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No kidding.

And no offense to the brother, but how many cities need to fall before you just shiv that kid or fix him a nice opiate potion for the final sleep? I'm assuming there is an in universe reason but I've not played the first game and only on chapter 4-5 so I've no idea WTF is going on with him.

Top Bottom