• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Should not have released on gamepass. It devaluates the value of the game and as a consequence I refuse to buy it full price on PS5 when others can play it with a sub.

GIF by Giphy QA

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Mentioned in the OT thread I thought it was really good, wasn't a huge fan of the ending overall, but I think it would've been fine if some of the narratives were different leading up to it.

Main thing I disliked though were the sections where you had to fight waves of enemies. It felt so out of place, and frankly, it was not fun. A bad choice. A game that prides itself on stealth gives you forced action sections, just... ugh. I disliked the parts so much, if I were reviewing it officially, I'd give it a whole grade lower due to that alone.

But overall good game, preferred Innocence. This dragged on too long.

Alex11

Mentioned in the OT thread I thought it was really good, wasn't a huge fan of the ending overall, but I think it would've been fine if some of the narratives were different leading up to it.

Main thing I disliked though were the sections where you had to fight waves of enemies. It felt so out of place, and frankly, it was not fun. A bad choice. A game that prides itself on stealth gives you forced action sections, just... ugh. I disliked the parts so much, if I were reviewing it officially, I'd give it a whole grade lower due to that alone.

But overall good game, preferred Innocence. This dragged on too long.
Yeah, you seem to have had the same issues with the gameplay that I've had for almost half of the game. I kept thinking why it forces me to kill when I have all these skills for stealth, it kinda bothered me a bit.
But IMO it's for the story, you are supposed to kill, I don't think it was supposed to be stealthy as the first game, even when the characters are talking, they talk about your killings, so as soon as I accepted that and didn't focus too much on stealth I very much enjoyed the gameplay.

Seems many are having an issue with the length, it was fine for me, finished it in ~30 hours. I really like games to be long.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Yeah, you seem to have had the same issues with the gameplay that I've had for almost half of the game. I kept thinking why it forces me to kill when I have all these skills for stealth, it kinda bothered me a bit.
But IMO it's for the story, you are supposed to kill, I don't think it was supposed to be stealthy as the first game, even when the characters are talking, they talk about your killings, so as soon as I accepted that and didn't focus too much on stealth I very much enjoyed the gameplay.

Seems many are having an issue with the length, it was fine for me, finished it in ~30 hours. I really like games to be long.
If they wanted forced kill sections for narrative, then it should’ve been with the rats. The Amecia ones where you run around in circles and wait for items to respawn on the map against enemies where you have to knock pieces of armor off otherwise they’re immune to fire. I hated it.

Alex11

If they wanted forced kill sections for narrative, then it should’ve been with the rats. The Amecia ones where you run around in circles and wait for items to respawn on the map against enemies where you have to knock pieces of armor off otherwise they’re immune to fire. I hated it.
Yeah, I remember 2 encounters that I just kept running like a lunatic in circles and just pop a shot in between stops, those were odd.

I'm not defending the game, but at least in cutscenes and interactions between the characters they at least acknowledged that you kill a lot.
I hope it wins an award because they seem to be very talented and passionate devs, really looking to what they can come up with next.

Alex11

Wow, what did you spend time on? did you platinum it?
No, not even, I was at 80 %. But yeah, I guess some time spent could be that I really wanted to fully stealth some sections without killing, until I fully embraced what they meant.

But even so, I think I would still get to ~25 hours, I like in a game to really take my time, especially in a heavy story focused one and more so in one that I really like. Sometimes I would just stop and listened to what the characters were talking and really wanted to find all the souvenirs, I thought they were a nice touch and some of them really contributed to the story and mood.
Also, and this might be a bit weird, just stopped for no reason alone in those areas where there was no action, just the two of them, and just listened to the music, my God I love the music in this game, I think it's really underappreciated.

And as I said, I really like games to be long, I've never had a problem with that.

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

Also, and this might be a bit weird, just stopped for no reason alone in those areas where there was no action, just the two of them, and just listened to the music, my God I love the music in this game, I think it's really underappreciated.

Hot5pur

Just finished it, thank you GP.
The visuals are pretty awesome, the storytelling, voice acting, characters, all very good and some of the best in a video game.

As for the "game" aspect of this game, well it's very much a "walking simulator" of sorts. Felt like they dumbed down the gameplay even more since the first game (no dodge mechanic).
The puzzles were pretty OK.
Like I definitely kept playing to see more of the story, not because I was enjoying the game aspect of it. If I could just watch a bunch of cutscenes I may have preferred it over playing this thing.

RPS37

I felt like the first one was pretty archaic from what I played.
Should I try to finish it and/or check this one out?

adamsapple

I felt like the first one was pretty archaic from what I played.
Should I try to finish it and/or check this one out?

The story is a direct continuation, so for the sake of the story, if you don't want to play through the entire game, at least look up story summaries on youtube.

RPS37

The story is a direct continuation, so for the sake of the story, if you don't want to play through the entire game, at least look up story summaries on youtube.
So is it worth it to check out the new game if I wasn’t loving the gameplay of the first one?

adamsapple

So is it worth it to check out the new game if I wasn’t loving the gameplay of the first one?

It does still play like a more expanded version of the first, so if you didn't get into the first titles style of gameplay, it's more of the same.

kikii

i lend it from friend, loved stealth but the 1st time Hugo opened his fcking mouth i got so pissed off, but this time it wasnt Hugo who was meowing it was Amicia so kinda 50/50, and on PS5 game has performance issues alot and also nuked my save on NG+ in chapter 9 but its okee =)
GDeQOyN.jpg

Alex11

Well, if you didn't like the gameplay from the first you definitely won't like it in this one. So, for this reason alone, no, it isn't worth it.

Although there is a bit more variety in it and IMO it's meant to be played with you being aggressive, so there's that.

But, if you liked the story and the atmosphere in the first one I think it's worth it big time.

RPS37

Well, if you didn't like the gameplay from the first you definitely won't like it in this one. So, for this reason alone, no, it isn't worth it.

Although there is a bit more variety in it and IMO it's meant to be played with you being aggressive, so there's that.

But, if you liked the story and the atmosphere in the first one I think it's worth it big time.
I’m mainly wanting to check it out to see something on my new OLED that can match Ragnarok’s graphics.

Alex11

I’m mainly wanting to check it out to see something on my new OLED that can match Ragnarok’s graphics.
Oh, I see, well I don't want to get in with this whole graphics battle since Ragnarok came out. But, IMO it matches it per whole, in other parts surpasses it, in other parts it's below.

Eiknarf

Oh wow

So the OpenCritic grade went way up since this posting

Metacritic grades are; 82/80

OpenCritic grades are; 84/88

Now I’m intrigued

I played and liked the first one a lot EXCEPT for the dumb final boss. Defeating the final boss wasn’t about defense skill or offense skill, but instead was similar to Simon Says. It was about remembering exactly where to stand at a certain point, move here, stop, shoot, move there… etc That’s the epitome of NOT FUN

I want to win a fight/beat a boss using MY defense and MY offense - not “You can only beat him if you stand here, here, then here” etc That means WE ALL have to defeat the boss the same way

Could you imagine the only way to defeat a bloater in TLOU was if we all had to play the same way? No! Some people shotgun him! Some people use bombs/grenades. Others use hand pistol etc while running backwards etc

Hopefully this sequel does it better

Gonna read all your posts now

Last edited:

yamaci17

they're super cool people

make sure to check sofia's streams too. they're having fun and nice people

this game has like great story. gameplay/animation department really lacks. but i cannot completely say its a bad thing. i'd even say it simply is a unique flavor on its own

Last edited:

Eiknarf

So can I fight the bosses how I want or must I follow some predetermined moves like the finale boss in the first game?

Kataploom

Gold Member
I loved this game but not because of the gameplay, it's mostly me averaging among all of the stuff like graphics, gameplay, story, atmosphere, etc. In the end it was a great experience and now I'm a fan of the studio whenever they put out something like it, this game screams the reason why I've lived AA gaming way more in the recent years.

I hated the mission design though, it's a game in which you can go for several rounds sometimes just figuring out which way you have to go and get killed because of being spotted for not going the proper way.

Top Bottom