• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A question about how cloud gaming works and Sonys place in it.

So cloud gaming has come up alot via the ABK regulators comments, and it got me thinking about how the tech works, and how Sony can.or can't enter that race.

So we had Google Stadia. If I remember they had servers full of AMD GPUs based on Vega tech, and allocated about 10 tflops for each player.

We have Nvidia, who obviously use their own GPUs for their streaming set up.

We have MS who are building server racks with XSX APUs, allowing four gamers per APU giving about 4tflops per player. From what we know they are still sending APUs to xcloud, as the service is at capacity with people getting put in ques.

PS plus had streaming of PS3 games, but that was done via emulation and not dedicated PS3 hardware in servers.

Now to my question, when people are saying that Sony will get into cloud gaming and might use Azure or Amazon's service, won't Sony also need to build banks of servers with PS5 chips the same as MS did?
Sony's games are using dedicated APIs along with being developed soley for the PS5 and not PC, so they won't just be able to use random GPUs and CPUs.
On top of that, Sony don't have a lower sku like MS, so don't develop their games for a lower present like what happens with the XSS, so they are going to have to build out their games for a lower spec, or when they do supply PS5 APUs for a server, then one APU is only going to supply one gamer, unlike the XSX ones which will serve four.

Cloud is going to get bigger, and how do Sony jump into it this far behind into setting it up? Can Sony just use any old server farm? Could it just say to Google, "hey we want to use your existing cloud GPUs".
Could they do it via emulation at this point in time?

Anyway, it got me thinking about their options, and I understand I may be well off with my assumptions.

Agent X

PS plus had streaming of PS3 games, but that was done via emulation and not dedicated PS3 hardware in servers.

The streaming of PS3 games is accomplished using PS3 hardware. The machines aren't exactly identical to retail consoles that were sold to consumers, as they have some modifications, but the custom chips and architecture that define the PS3 system are present.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony isn't taking streaming seriously at this point and frankly, there is much reason to if you are not fully into a subscription service like Game Pass.

feynoob

Banned
Cloud is expensive avenue right now. Without a proper profit, its hard thing to maintain it.
MS is mainting xcloud at a loss rate, as that service brings 0 money for them.

You will also need tons of data centers just to have a stable connection.

Three

Now to my question, when people are saying that Sony will get into cloud gaming and might use Azure or Amazon's service, won't Sony also need to build banks of servers with PS5 chips the same as MS did?
Sony's games are using dedicated APIs along with being developed soley for the PS5 and not PC, so they won't just be able to use random GPUs and CPUs.
On top of that, Sony don't have a lower sku like MS, so don't develop their games for a lower present like what happens with the XSS, so they are going to have to build out their games for a lower spec, or when they do supply PS5 APUs for a server, then one APU is only going to supply one gamer, unlike the XSX ones which will serve four.
They use custom IBM server blades for PS3 streaming, each blade has 8 custom console units. It's not emulation AFAIK. They have streaming of PS4 games too but I don't know the server configuration. In all honesty it probably doesn't matter now anyway since they can use PC builds with standard blades for streaming year(s) later when it hits PS+ Premium and PC. I think that's the best strategy for them.

They use custom IBM server blades for PS3 streaming, each blade has 8 custom console units. It's not emulation AFAIK. They have streaming of PS4 games too but I don't know the server configuration. In all honesty it probably doesn't matter now anyway since they can use PC builds with standard blades for streaming year(s) later when it hits PS+ Premium and PC. I think that's the best strategy for them.
The streaming of PS3 games is accomplished using PS3 hardware. The machines aren't exactly identical to retail consoles that were sold to consumers, as they have some modifications, but the custom chips and architecture that define the PS3 system are present.
So that was hardware as well then. Not sure where I got the emulation from.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't think Sony needs to worry right away. Cloud gaming kinda works but not well enough to be more than a buzzword. It will get better but I think many companies are going to fail trying to make it work. The biggest problem IMO is that the right games haven't been designed yet to use cloud to it's advantage. Games that put the scale of MMOs to shame while being simple enough to appeal to mobile users.

Cloud just isn't there yet. It's good that Sony have cloud gaming as an option but they know there's no need to put any focus into yet. They will start caring when consumers do and I think thats a long way off yet.

Warablo

Cloud is just for convenience and broader reach. It won't really catch on until you capture all the whales in mobile.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just how blockbuster didn't take streaming seriously, some companies choose to get on the horse at different times.

The world has shown that the majority of people prefer streaming for ease but gaming is different, the majority still require dedicated hardware...just like myself who prefers having a dedicated 4k blu Ray player for my favourite films...and would rent 4k movies if I could walk in and get them.

Sony bought on live/gaikai whatever it was called to bolster their ps3 streaming. They can invest and improve the tech. They may choose to, we will see. Data will show them. I think it will take MS, Sony and Nintendo to do the math and try things to get it where it needs to be.

It could genuinely be amazing for those that can not obtain consoles or don't have the money. I've played cloud gaming a handful of times and it works well for some games. I wouldn't get rid of my dedicated hardware unless it somehow ,amicably got better than it somehow...which imdoubt will ever be the case.

Sony just needs to keep advancing in it but make sure they are nit left behind, if people showmvalid interest.

acm2000

MS use series X APUs running in series s profile so down the line they can switch up to the X profile (probably premium subscription only like Nvidia)

vivftp

Tom Henderson has said that Sony will be integrating PS5 hardware into the cloud soon and that it's been in testing for months

The reason it's taken so long is obvious - supply shortages and they prioritized console sales. Whatever plans Sony has for the future of their cloud gaming platform, it seems likely that will start to kick off once they actually have PS5 hardware in the cloud.

Until then I see it as being in a holding pattern while it's still running off of the previous (and previous previous gen) hardware. If they are still working on PS3 emulation as Grubb once rumored, then maybe we'll finally see it debut with PS5 hardware in the cloud so they can stream everything off of one platform.

Edit.
To clarify, Tom just said PS5 games would be streamable. I'm filling in the blanks that PS5 hardware will be put into the cloud simply because that makes the most sense. Supply shortages are over, there's no reason to use anything other than PS5 hardware

Last edited:
Top Bottom