• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A sense of quality? (Packaging and Build Quality)

Neo_GAF

Banned
Not sure, how to put it into a thread title, but let me explain:

I have been gaming since 1990 and I finally bought a PS5 yesterday. Oh boy was I disappointed.
The packaging looks like garbage. What the fuck, after unwrapping your Android flagships and iphones every second year I am so used to have premium boxes. unboxing must have some sort of magical feel. instead the ps5 unpacking felt like going to the customs duty and making sure my chinese fake power bank does not catch fire while the officer is watching me not committing a crime or smuggling.

I think the last time I remember having premium packaging was the wii and the ps4.
Am I the only one thinking this?

My second point goes also in the same direction:

the PS5 is built like cheap shit.

Plastic, and not even premium one like Xiaomi or Samsung is using, but utter fisher price toys grade shit.
Not sure, if PS4 felt better back in the day, but PS5 looks horrendous compared to XSX.
Even thought the PS5 controllers functions are soooo nice and cool, Iam also severely disappointed of the built quality of the controller. it also does not have the premium weight and feel as the Switch pro controller or XSX controller/Elite controller.

Controllers have to give you a smooth and fine feel.

Am I spoiled because of Apple?

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
kyle mooney trash GIF by Saturday Night Live

tommib

Not sure, how to put it into a thread title, but let me explain:

I have been gaming since 1990 and I finally bought a PS5 yesterday. Oh boy was I disappointed.
The packaging looks like garbage. What the fuck, after unwrapping your Android flagships and iphones every second year I am so used to have premium boxes. unboxing must have some sort of magical feel. instead the ps5 unpacking felt like going to the customs duty and making sure my chinese fake power bank does not catch fire while the officer is watching me not committing a crime or smuggling.

I think the last time I remember having premium packaging was the wii and the ps4.
Am I the only one thinking this?

My second point goes also in the same direction:

the PS5 is built like cheap shit.

Plastic, and not even premium one like Xiaomi or Samsung is using, but utter fisher price toys grade shit.
Not sure, if PS4 felt better back in the day, but PS5 looks horrendous compared to XSX.
Even thought the PS5 controllers functions are soooo nice and cool, Iam also severely disappointed of the built quality of the controller. it also does not have the premium weight and feel as the Switch pro controller or XSX controller/Elite controller.

Controllers have to give you a smooth and fine feel.

Am I spoiled because of Apple?
You don’t want Apple prices on your consoles. They’re already sold at a loss during their launch.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah the PS5 packaging is hilariously third rate. Cheapo cardboard, electric bands and shitty plastic.

They’d probably ship it wrapped in second hand condoms if it was cheap enough. No shame.

Love the Switch Oled and Series S packaging. Sublime.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I can't say I noticed any of that, I just unboxed it within 10 seconds to play some games.
You don’t notice how your premium electronic is packaged the very first time you open it? Wow. I’d say your definitely an outlier there. There’s a reason Apple, Samsung and every other premium electronic manufacturer don’t send your item to you in shitty packaging.

Mr Hyde

The packaging was shit on PS5. Shredded my box even though I was extra careful. I don't agree with you on the build quality, the PS5 feels very premium in the way it's put together and absolutely not like a fucking fisher price toy. The Dualsense is also vastly better in terms of quality and premium weight than the Switch pro controller, which definitely feels like cheap plastic when comparing.

Skifi28

You don’t notice how your premium electronic is packaged the very first time you open it? Wow. I’d say your definitely an outlier there. There’s a reason Apple, Samsung and every other premium electronic manufacturer don’t send your item to you in shitty packaging.
Nope, can't even recall the experience other than I just wanted to hook the thing up and play some Demon Souls. I've always been perplexed by the people making a fuss about packaging and watching the millions of unboxing videos. My main concern about the package is that the insides are kept safe.

As for the plastic feel/quality, I'd understand if it was a phone that's glued to your hand, but I couldn't tell you when was the last time I touched the console itself. The Dualsense feels pretty premium in my hands, no complaints there.

MikeM

The packaging was shit on PS5. Shredded my box even though I was extra careful. I don't agree with you on the build quality, the PS5 feels very premium in the way it's put together and absolutely not like a fucking fisher price toy. The Dualsense is also vastly better in terms of quality and premium weight than the Switch pro controller, which definitely feels like cheap plastic when comparing.
Dualsense is very premium feeling compared to my Series X controller. I just find the Series X controller feels like a kids toy.

Click clack click ugh

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
You don’t want Apple prices on your consoles. They’re already sold at a loss during their launch.
i know i know, but it necessarily is not always expensive to get your materials right.
the back of the dual sense is premium, but the front does not feel premium.

xiaomi got it right a few years back to release reasonable priced smartphones but with a high end finish and a premium feel on it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Dualsense is also vastly better in terms of quality and premium weight than the Switch pro controller, which definitely feels like cheap plastic when comparing.
The black part on the Dualsense controller is thin as tissue paper. There’s no way it feels more premium in hand than the Switch Pro pad, which is the best standard pad IMO.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The console fits in the box the same way as the PS3, two cardboard holders on each end. The top of the PS5 box is nice though, it's all neatly organized for the controller and cables.

The sleeve box is thin as can be and easily rips but it's purely for cosmetic purposes. Annoying for sure if you're an OCD collector but I tossed mine after the last giant rip.

I think the actual box is fine, doesn't strike me as cheap or flimsy.

edit- overlooked your comments on the Dualsense. I'm sorry but that's just pure crazy talk. Dualsense is God-tier as far as I'm concerned. Great weight, perfect dimensions, comfy as can be. The console and controller don't feel cheap in the slightest to me. PS5 and Dualsense are a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

Fbh

I mean yeah the packing is shit but who gives a crap?
I didn't have any issues with the console itself other than the design being ugly. Feels about the same as every other console I've owned, not particularly premium but then again it is a cheap-ish product for what it is.

The controller seems fine, looks and feels better than the Dualshock 4 out of the box and it has quickly become my favorite controller within its price range. I've no idea how anyone could say the Switch pro controller with the shit tier d-pad, awkwardly loose feeling analog sticks and digital trigger is "premium" in comparison, worst gaming purchase I've made in years (didn't know the 8BitDo was a thing back then).

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Dualsense is also vastly better in terms of quality and premium weight than the Switch pro controller, which definitely feels like cheap plastic when comparing.
The Switch Pro weighs 4 ounces more than the Dualsense.
I used to think Switch pro was the best controller on the market. Then I held the Dualsense for the first time.

You Are Amazing Love It GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
It’s to each their own and there’s no right or wrong opinion. However mine is that the Switch Pro is the most premium out of the two (and better than the standard Series pad as well).

The white plastic on the Dualsense (and the console itself) definitely feels premium, it’s the black part on both the controller and console that let it down. If you tap the bottom of the Dualsense handle with your finger nail you can tell it’s cheap.

jaysius

Banned
No way. Switch pro feels much lighter and cheaper. Gonna have to break out the scale.
It’s because of the awful way the weight in the Dualsense is poorly distribute which makes it feel far heavier than it is, it’s shitty ergonomics.

ZoukGalaxy

I don't give a shit about the packaging, it's a pure waste, I prefer to pay for the content, not the container which will collect dust or finish in a trash can. Sense of quality of what ? That's bullshit, I want quality, not a sense.
If you want a sense, there's a dual sense inside the box.
I guess you have a iphone, it's typical of an apple user.

PS5 plastics is perfectly fine and great, I don't know what's wrong with you, you're not buying a Rolls-Royce man. The important is inside and it's top.
Everybody Loves Raymond Romano GIF by TV Land

Last edited:
My PS4 Pro would creak and pop and groan while heating up and cooling down.
The PS5 still does but not as bad.
It does seem like there a lot of gaps in their designs that don't fit and finish.
Like a Tesla car, All that tech but gaps and seams in the panels.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love the packaging my series S came in, it was so badass and epic to unbox. I don't know about the ps5, but xbox has it down when it comes to first impressions imo
PS5 box is more or less the same as the PS3, if you remember that box at all.

Some wrapped padding around the console, two cardboard sleeves that keep the console suspended in place while in the box. A top section that houses the dualsense, cables, and warranty stuff. Convenient plastic handle to lug the 1980s suitcase size box around. The thing is laughably big.

There's an outer sleeve too for the box itself but it's cosmetic and incredibly thin. It will rip if you mention Xbox around it. lol.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
Xbox/Microsoft and apple have amazing packaging. It’s an experience opening their products. Nintendo is more basic, with cardboard blocks and some foam.

As for the ps5, they took the cheaper and less wasteful approach. It’s odd to put a premium next gen console into egg carton material. The box isn’t a real problem, the console is ugly as sin on its own.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Re. The look/feel of the PS5 console itself, I thought it was ugly when they first revealed it, but I figured it was one of those things where it looks so much better when you see and feel it in person.

Then I unboxed it and my first impression was that it was fucking HUGE and still very ugly. Also has some specially contoured stand to accommodate the complex curvature of the bottom shell that you need just to set it horizontally. Probably my least favorite console design ever.

PS5 is built okay. The duel sense feels like a cheap game third party controller. XSX is the best built console I ever owned and the controllers are built well. The switch is well built, but the dock is cheeeeeap. PS2 2nd best built console I ever owned. It and the XSX surviving nuclear wars. Solid ass consoles. XSX packaging is also superb, felt like I was opening pandoras box...the ps5 I dont even remember how it was packaged which I guess means it was just standard.

XSXunboxing_pic_2.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Re. The look/feel of the PS5 console itself, I thought it was ugly when they first revealed it, but I figured it was one of those things where it looks so much better when you see and feel it in person.

Then I unboxed it and my first impression was that it was fucking HUGE and still very ugly. Also has some specially contoured stand to accommodate the complex curvature of the bottom shell that you need just to set it horizontally. Probably my least favorite console design ever.
I love that, I think everyone has the same experience while unboxing a PS5.

"Nice, PS5 is here....hmmm...box is pretty damn big...oh and what's this...fragile...must be an italian model..." *unboxes* "LMAO, this thing is effing HUGE, hey honey, get in here and get a load of this!!"

a christmas story GIF
maya rudolph dancing GIF by A Christmas Story Live

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sony should be embarrassed by the egg carton box they package the PS5 in

CYhfwmJ.jpg
b08Ct8T.jpg
qddGHgs.jpg
IuEW3cJ.jpg

I really do wonder what the price difference is between these two packaging method, because although the xsx look a lot better its only using foam instead of cardboard and foam and cardboard are about the same price. I guess the sony packaging designer was not very creative.

Last edited:
The quality of the DualSense runs circles around the Xbox Series controllers.

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are game changing. The Series controller feels like cheap plastic with its loudly clicking buttons and annoying bubble face buttons. Not to mention still using AA batteries in a controller in 2022 should be illegal.

But yes, the packaging in the actual box was better for Series X. I guess that's exciting.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
The Series controller feels like cheap plastic with its loudly clicking buttons and annoying bubble face buttons.
That just sounds like a preference. People spend good money to have clicky sounding keyboards. The Xbox has had better vibrating/haptics for generations, but now it’s a game changer?

Also, AA is better. You have more options that can lengthen the battery life. Spend an extra 20-30 dollars and your controller will last much longer.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The quality of the DualSense runs circles around the Xbox Series controllers.

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are game changing. The Series controller feels like cheap plastic with its loudly clicking buttons and annoying bubble face buttons. Not to mention still using AA batteries in a controller in 2022 should be illegal.

But yes, the packaging in the actual box was better for Series X. I guess that's exciting.
Seriously they're the things I like least about the Dualsense. The haptics are really only implemented well in a few games, mainly Sony ones. And the adaptive triggers make me feel like I'm fighting my controller to the point where I just want to turn them off. I do love the weight of controller and how it feels in my hand.

That just sounds like a preference. People spend good money to have clicky sounding keyboards. The Xbox has had better vibrating/haptics for generations, but now it’s a game changer?
There was no huge difference between PS4 and Xbox One rumble, even with those triggers that did basically nothing. DualSense haptic feedback IS a huge leap. If you don't think it's a game changer you either haven't played Astro's Playroom/Returnal or are in denial.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The OP gave me deja vu, I'm sure I've seen a near identical thread in the past.

I do like a well packaged product, partly because I always keep my boxes and partly because I like it when companies stay on theme for their product. It implies a level of respect for what they're selling... Or at least that's what I infer.

Looking at the pics above, Xbox has a really nice presentation. I'm sure that adds to the experience in some small way when you first open your brand new console you just bought yourself - or better yet just received as a gift.

theHFIC

I took my PS5 out of the box, plugged it in, and then played it. Am I missing something here? Oh wait this is just another subtle PS5 bashing thread, I'll head someplace else.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Absolutely agree. I bought the XSX and the PS5 with a week of difference and opening (and setting up) one versus the other was like night and day

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I took my PS5 out of the box, plugged it in, and then played it. Am I missing something here? Oh wait this is just another subtle PS5 bashing thread, I'll head someplace else.

Getting a new console is a very exciting time, having nice packaging makes it an even a better experience, even if the long run its not that important.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PS5 is worse when it comes to packaging but IMO better when it comes to overall console first impressions. The startup is very beautiful and the UI has a better aesthetic than the Xbox's (even if you don't get to see the beautiful grey firefly background as often, and the overall lack of themes the console has does make it far less customizable than the Xbox) but for me, the packaging is far more important. Nothing gets me hyped more than seeing the box that i saw in videos and pictures actually finally in my fucking house

R6Rider

Gold Member
The Series X package design is better, but the actual box finish is bad. Reverse for the PS5.

Controller wise, Xbox controller feels cheap and crappy compared to the DualSense. Literally was checking my controller when I got mine to make sure it somehow wasn't a knockoff.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
There was no huge difference between PS4 and Xbox One rumble, even with those triggers that did basically nothing.
Agree.
DualSense haptic feedback IS a huge leap. If you don't think it's a game changer you either haven't played Astro's Playroom/Returnal or are in denial.
Platted Astro then turned off the dumb arse trigger resistance and never looked back. I do love the smart rumble though, as I do in the Switch. Also the speaker in the controller can be really cute. The touchpad has always been something I’ve missed on Xbox just because in my mind it’s the de facto map button now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Xbox has had better vibrating/haptics for generations, but now it’s a game changer?
No it hasn’t.
Also, AA is better. You have more options that can lengthen the battery life. Spend an extra 20-30 dollars and your controller will last much longer.
No it isn’t. My launch Dualshock 4 lasted the entire generation, I just had to replace the analogue sticks. Battery was absolutely fine. Controllers are built so shittily overall now that the thing is more likely to fall apart years before you’d have to worry about battery degradation.

Top Bottom