• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A short guide on how to connect your PC to a TV

Bartski

Gold Member
The Wire Reaction GIF

Shtef

You keep the PC in one room and the HDMI cable can go through the wall to and out in the living room behind the TV (so nobody even sees the cables).
Well this approach is good if you have dry walls. In my case I cannot drill the brick wall and ruin it just to pass the cable.

When people say that they prefer console because of the couch and big screen TV they are aware that they can connect the PC to tv it's just a hustle to do it in some cases, like mine.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I didnt say its impossible just its inconvenient, plus i dont like to have cables to be visible.
how is it inconvenient?

to plug a PC into a TV you need the same amount of cables. a power plug and HDMI cable. don't need a cable for your controller. you can even get wireless keyboard and mouse! crazy, right? if you can deal with two cables with a console then you can deal with a PC.

reektann

I followed this simple guide but I don’t seem to be getting 5.1 audio - can you write another simple guide on that part!

Filben

Also use Windows key + P to cycle through your monitors. You can also set Steam to boot into Big Picture mode on launch and/or on Windows start-up.

Lol, what if my gaming PC is setup in another room in my house?
I have, but luckily on the opposite side of living room/TV wall. Drilled through the wall, pulled the HDMI cable and Xbox controller adapter and Bluetooth m/k adapter through it. Works like charm.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Too much steps. You will scare tons of people. Could be just:

1- connect your HDMI cable in both plugs of the TV and of the PC.
How are people gaming in their living rooms when they have a family? I connect my PC to a tv but it's in a separate gaming room. Screw waiting for the wife and kids to free up the tv to game. I'd never have time.
Having the PC connected in both the TV and another screen on the room. I do this.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

I swear, some of you look like you're in a cult. Seriously, lecturing people about how they should play when those are the ones actually enjoying playing games instead of wasting their time warring in a forum about what or how to play.

Shtef

how is it inconvenient?

to plug a PC into a TV you need the same amount of cables. a power plug and HDMI cable. don't need a cable for your controller. you can even get wireless keyboard and mouse! crazy, right? if you can deal with two cables with a console then you can deal with a PC.
Console is in the cabinet and the cable is behind it so its not visible if i want to connect the pc i would have to drill holes in the wall, hdmi cable would go in the living room from one end to another and will be visible so yes its very inconvenient and not worth the hassle.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I swear, some of you look like you're in a cult. Seriously, lecturing people about how they should play when those are the ones actually enjoying playing games instead of wasting their time warring in a forum about what or how to play.
Like the cult that keep saying we can't use pc on TV's or it's not ease.

Lady Jane

Banned
Yeah it’s a problem…
And it’s not just about freeing up the TV, kids love to watch me play games, it’s about how AAA devs can’t make games without violence anymore, zero creativity compared to the 80s and 90s. So all I can play during day time is low budget kids games.

So in short I can use my consoles from 21:30 at the night. Work days I should be in bed 23:00, 23:30 at the latest. Gives me 1.5-2 hours of gaming.

😕

PC gaming is less of an issue, separate room, door to close so the little ones don’t come in when I play something violent.

Steam Deck is awesome too, I played at least 20 hours of Elden Ring that way.

And to add to this, I don't like video games in the living room. With how our house is set up, the kitchen + dinning room + kitchen is a large open floor plan so any sound on that TV is carried across easily to the kitchen and dinning room. I don't want video games on that TV because the sounds of the games takes over the main parts of the house. I let him do whatever he wanted to one of our bedrooms for his PC setup (that I use as well to be fair) so I think its fair to ask for that room to be the only one to play games since the distraction of it can be enclosed to that one room.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
If you're here, this means you genuinely think you can't play PC games on a TV, that it's a feature only Consoles can use. YOU'RE WRONG!
Today, i'm gonna teach you how to connect your PC to a TV

Requirements: A computer, a TV, and an IQ higher than room temperature

Step 1: Just like a console, search for the HDMI port on the back of your PC. If it's capable of any sort of gaming it should have one. If your PC is currently connected to a monitor via displayport, unplug that wire

Step 2: Take your PC and put it close to your TV as you would a console

Step 3: Plug an HDMI cable into your PC's HDMI port.

Step 4: Plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the TV

That's it, you're done. You can now officially use your PC on a TV
Related guides: How to connect a controller to your PC, How to play steam games, how to connect your console to a Monitor

I was following your guide but after step 4 I got this window:

X8MfiuL.jpg

Something, something about a better driver. HELP.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have my work/PC desk in the living room. Bought a 7.5 meters HDMI cable and never looked back. :messenger_sunglasses:

a mega rainbow LED gaming PC
You must be watching way too much youtubers or something. Check out my box:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What?
Who cares ?
Tv and monitor is just the same thing nowadays. I use "lg tv" for my monitor and it even got better specs and gsync than some monitors.
This is bait

edit: good luck running more than 1,5-2meter hdmi 2.1 cable. These are wonky and expensive

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For those of us with gigantic 4K HDR monitors with stuff like G-Sync support and variable refresh rates, hooking the PC up to some 4K TV, even if it's a really nice TV, is actually a lesser experience.
There is no better gaming experience than hooking my 3080 up to my OLED and gaming at 120 Hz. Nothing. Not even my 240Hz 1440p IPS monitor can touch it.

SkylineRKR

This is way too advanced for the average Joe, computer manufacturers should be ashamed for not making this more accessible. Why should only computer nerds and rocket scientists be allowed to play on their TVs?

It's much like the outrageous requirement of being capable of handling a screwdriver to install an SSD in the PS5.

Yes but make no mistake, lots of consumers are simply oblivious. They don't expect to have to screw their console open, or they simply don't dare to. As simple as it may be for you and me, for millions its out of the question or they have no clue.

I knew many people who bought a different PS3 SKU just for the bigger HDD, instead of simply buying a cheap SATA somewhere. Its because they think you have to be an engineer, if they're even aware to begin with. I made a tutorial on PS4 HDD swapping on some other site way back, and even gamers there were like 'huh? is this possible?'.

Banned
For those of us with gigantic 4K HDR monitors with stuff like G-Sync support and variable refresh rates, hooking the PC up to some 4K TV, even if it's a really nice TV, is actually a lesser experience.

my TV supports Freesync, Gsync and HDMI VRR, the same is true for many modern TVs and mine is pretty old already

Last edited:

Chukhopops

What’s weird is that I’ve never met a PC gamer who plugged his PC on a TV - this is a console gamer argument somehow applied to the PC world. Nobody uses Big Picture as a main navigation layer.

You wouldn’t plug your PC in a TV because:
- most likely you use KBM for games;
- you use your PC for other things which require KBM;
- you wouldn’t be able to use an OLED TV for monitor use (or at least I wouldn’t do it with my CX) because of burn-in.

At best I’ve seen people use a TV as secondary monitor but then some games don’t like it.

Even using an OLED big-ass TV as monitor is something I’ve never seen outside of GAF and just looking at it gives me neck pain.

If you’re a PC gamer you use a monitor.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes but make no mistake, lots of consumers are simply oblivious. They don't expect to have to screw their console open, or they simply don't dare to. As simple as it may be for you and me, for millions its out of the question or they have no clue.

I knew many people who bought a different PS3 SKU just for the bigger HDD, instead of simply buying a cheap SATA somewhere. Its because they think you have to be an engineer, if they're even aware to begin with. I made a tutorial on PS4 HDD swapping on some other site way back, and even gamers there were like 'huh? is this possible?'.

To be fair, replacing the HDD in a PS3 was quite a bit more complicated. Not mechanically, but since you were replacing the primary (only) storage device you had to have the firmware ready to install from a USB drive etc.

With the PS5 you don't need to do any of that, you just install the additional SSD and the console formats it etc.

Banned
What’s weird is that I’ve never met a PC gamer who plugged his PC on a TV - this is a console gamer argument somehow applied to the PC world. Nobody uses Big Picture as a main navigation layer.

- you wouldn’t be able to use an OLED TV for monitor use (or at least I wouldn’t do it with my CX) because of burn-in.

At best I’ve seen people use a TV as secondary monitor but then some games don’t like it.

Even using an OLED big-ass TV as monitor is something I’ve never seen outside of GAF and just looking at it gives me neck pain.

the way I do it is that I have a regular Gsync 1440p144hz PC Monitor, and I run a 10m HDMI cable to my TV.

I don't use the TV as a secondary monitor, I simply press Win+P and select the TV as the only output when playing on the TV. this automatically switches my output to 1440p120hz instead of 144hz and now my TV acts like the main screen of my PC.

I have a DualSense controller configured to work as a mouse and have button combo shortcuts to all the important PC functions like pressing the windows key, or maximising/windowing a game/program...
I also have a shortcut for Win+P to easily switch the video output back to my PC Monitor with ease.
I also have button combos set up to switch it into Xbox mode and DualShock 4 mode, the former for easy PC Game compatibility and the latter for Sixaxis emulation while emulating PS3 games :)

this works absolutely flawlessly.

My setup is maybe a bit out there (I also run a 10m USB cable to the TV in which a Bluetooth dongle is placed for perfect controller connection, and also a way to hook up USB devices real quick) but with the willingness of running 2 cables to your TV anyone could do the same and have a really easy to use and great PC experience on their big screen TV

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Well this approach is good if you have dry walls. In my case I cannot drill the brick wall and ruin it just to pass the cable.

When people say that they prefer console because of the couch and big screen TV they are aware that they can connect the PC to tv it's just a hustle to do it in some cases, like mine.

I think 99% of homes (made up statistic, but with the cost of brick/stone/concrete walls versus drywall it's probably right) have drywall inside of the home. It's not a perfect solution for everyone, but it's a good solution for most.

Last edited:

Beechos

Everything has its place pc, console, mobile, streaming. I prefer playing pc on a monitor since there so many god damn launchers now so a m/kb is the best way to navigate that. Can you even navigate your desktop with a controller? Everything also looks sharper on a pc monitor maybe thats more of a size/resolution/distance? I remember trying to use a 4k 42" tv for work as a 2nd monitor so i wouldnt have to buy another and it was trash. Ended up getting a similar sized 2k ultrawide and it looks a million times better.

Chukhopops

the way I do it is that I have a regular Gsync 1440p144hz PC Monitor, and I run a 10m HDMI cable to my TV.

I don't use the TV as a secondary monitor, I simply press Win+P and select the TV as the only output when playing on the TV. this automatically switches my output to 1440p120hz instead of 144hz and now my TV acts like the main screen of my PC.

I have a DualSense controller configured to work as a mouse and have button combo shortcuts to all the important PC functions like pressing the windows key, or maximising/windowing a game/program...
I also have a shortcut for Win+P to easily switch the video output back to my PC Monitor with ease.
I also have button combos set up to switch it into Xbox mode and DualShock 4 mode, the former for easy PC Game compatibility and the latter for Sixaxis emulation while emulating PS3 games :)

this works absolutely flawlessly.

My setup is maybe a bit out there (I also run a 10m USB cable to the TV in which a Bluetooth dongle is placed for perfect controller connection, and also a way to hook up USB devices real quick) but with the willingness of running 2 cables to your TV anyone could do the same and have a really easy to use and great PC experience on their big screen TV
Sure it’s possible and I think once configured it’s a great experience. I did it for a bit but once I got married the PC had to go to an office room and never came back.

I just don’t think it’s something PC gamers are really concerned about, it’s more of argument used by console gamers.

Right now in the top 10 Steam games only two (MH Rise and GTA V) even make sense to play with a controller.

Surf Ninja

If you hook your PC to your television there is a real threat someone will see you have a PC hooked to your television. Actually, maybe there isn't.

Haggard

Banned

behold:
91RhxcTb39L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Pressing win + P to switch back to the computer monitor in a heartbeat is so hard.......
Why? What is the issue with using a TV and/or a monitor depending on the mood/game? I´ll answer that for you, there is none.

Banned
Sure it’s possible and I think once configured it’s a great experience. I did it for a bit but once I got married the PC had to go to an office room and never came back.

I just don’t think it’s something PC gamers are really concerned about, it’s more of argument used by console gamers.

Right now in the top 10 Steam games only two (MH Rise and GTA V) even make sense to play with a controller.

Apex Legends is in the top 10 and is definitely a game many play on controller, yesterday Genburten completely mopped the floor in the ALGS finals and he's a controller player.

PUBG can also be easily played on controller

and the top 10 Steam games aren't something I would use as a way to determine how much sense playing on a controller makes as there are hundreds of popular games not in the top 10 steam charts that work just fine on controller (mostly because almost all of them are available on console)

and then there's all the console emulators you can use on PC that basically necessitate a controller, at least from PS1 onwards

Last edited:
Top Bottom