• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A short guide on how to connect your PC to a TV

nikos

You also need to properly set resolution, refresh rate, v-sync (depending on display) etc.

I personally never do this because monitor technology is way better (ultrawide, higher refresh rate, better response time etc.) and I much prefer playing at my desk.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I personally never do this because monitor technology is way better (ultrawide, higher refresh rate, better response time etc.) and I much prefer playing at my desk.
Most people would call me insane if i revealed that i actually want to play my PC games on a monitor rather than a TV (which i currently have my PC hooked up to) for this exact reason. The colors on this thing suck and i want 120hz so bad, don't care if it's 4k or not ill happily downgrade to 1440p just for a better resolution

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
? But now I have a younger hotter girlfriend with a pokemon tattoo that likes to game with me, not moan at me for gaming (actually true 🤷‍♂️).
Please write a tutorial thread explaining how to get one of those, thanks.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
me when i spread accurate, helpful information on the internet with the intent of trolling and laughing at the responses
ODhd0DB.png

buenoblue

On topic, I have a large living room dining area and have my PC (32 inch gsync) in the dining room on a desk. I run a 20ft HDMI along the skirting board to the tv (75inch Ambilight).

Then I just windows key p to send it to the tv if I wanna game on the tv. Xbox one pad with official dongle. Stuff like Forza or 3rd person action/RPG is great on a big tv.

Then I use one of these. It's gyro motion mouse like a Wii mote with a keyboard on the other side.

MKKkqES.jpg

Chukhopops

behold:

Pressing win + P to switch back to the computer monitor in a heartbeat is so hard.......

Why? What is the issue with using a TV and/or a monitor depending on the mood/game? I´ll answer that for you, there is none.
If you use the Couchmaster CYCON you might as well use a desk, looks ridiculous and the posture feels wrong.

Anyway, I stand by my point: it’s possible of course but it’s a niche usage that only makes sense if you come from console gaming. If you’ve been playing on PC since the 2000s or even earlier you’re not gonna do that just to use a controller or a TV.

Haggard

Banned
If you use the Couchmaster CYCON you might as well use a desk, looks ridiculous and the posture feels wrong.
If you care about looks on your own couch something is wrong in your head. And your posture depends on you and your taste in couches alone.

I
Anyway, I stand by my point: it’s possible of course but it’s a niche usage that only makes sense if you come from console gaming. If you’ve been playing on PC since the 2000s or even earlier you’re not gonna do that just to use a controller or a TV.
Riiight, because home cinema systems are something completely unbeknownst to people and having a full blown dolby atmos system and a giant screen in front of you does absolutely nothing for game immersion and you also need a TV to use a controller ofc.......... /s
My god dude, you have no argument, just your very personal preferences that you for some strange reason think can be generalized.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Playing on a big 75inch tv at 4k is pretty great!

sq3AG93.jpg

Chukhopops

If you care about looks on your own couch something is wrong in your head. And your posture depends on you and your taste in couches alone.

Riiight, because home cinema systems are something completely unbeknownst to people and having a full blown dolby atmos system and a giant screen in front of you does absolutely nothing for game immersion and you also need a TV to use a controller ofc.......... /s
My god dude, you have no argument, just your very personal preferences that you for some strange reason think can be generalized.
So what do you think is the percentage of people using a PC plugged on a TV and controlled from a couch? Even 10% feels like a generous estimate.

It’s a niche use and you know it. If it’s your preference it’s cool but there’s no argument for or against it.

Also if you don’t care how your living room looks I assure you it will change if/when you share this living room with another person and the COUCHMASTER is going on a one-way trip to the basement.

BlackTron

I have my PC desk set up near my main TV stand in a layout that maximizes options without sacrificing many room points. My PC output is cloned between the desk monitor and TV. So it's very easy to switch between roles with that PC.

That said, even though it's so easy, I generally prefer to use a console on TV. The console interface is better for couch/controller and it's nice to leave devices in their niched roles without switching inputs. Of course the PC is there if I ever need it for anything, but my point is 1. It's very easy to use a PC on TV and 2. Despite this, consoles are generally my first choice to use on TV anyway and I get why people are biased about it.

You also need to properly set resolution, refresh rate, v-sync (depending on display) etc.

This. I plugged my PC into my TV for the hell of it and it was all fucked up. Yes I could've spent the 5 minutes figuring it out but I didn't plan on it being a permanent setup anyway.

BlackTron

I see a lot of preferences between playing at a desk or on a couch in here...for me, it really all depends on the game. There's a reason I try to get FPS games on PC and platformers on console. If there is an old platform game I have on Steam, I'm using a 360 controller to play it on TV...and it would make me depressed to emulate a game like Mario and play it at a desk lol. That stuff is just meant to played with a controller on a couch...to me. Playing on PC using a TV is fine but consoles are really king of these types of games, given the choice (which sometimes we don't have).

But I will get angry trying to play a RTS or FPS without a mouse and a desk lol. There is really no one-solution fits all setup. If you are into a variety of genres.

Haggard

Banned
So what do you think is the percentage of people using a PC plugged on a TV and controlled from a couch? Even 10% feels like a generous estimate.
Since there are no statistics you are simply pulling numbers out of your ass based on your personal preference again. Also It´s not really a new thing for GPUs to have more than one connector. This notion that you absolutely have to choose one or the other is idiotic. Cables can be longer than a meter and there`s a fascinating invention called "wireless" that some exotic input devices are rumored to have nowadays......

It’s a niche use and you know it
I know that you think that based on ...nothing. If I´d go around and generalize what I see in my vicinity it would be 90+% for me and my friends who have all been PC nerds since the 90s, but I´m not arrogant enough to think that this mini-statistic means anything.
Also if you don’t care how your living room looks I assure you it will change if/when you share this living room with another person and the COUCHMASTER is going on a one-way trip to the basement.
Because a couchmaster has to stay assembled at all times and can never be removed once installed. My wife will have to live around it for the rest of her life.....oh wait, no, I can just put it aside whenever I like.
This is getting ridiculous how you literally invent "arguments" now based on some nonsense sitcom relationship image no less....

If it’s your preference it’s cool but there’s no argument for or against it.
This is the only non-falsely-generalized thing you`ve said so far. How about we leave it at that.....

Last edited:

Zug

Mini itx PC plugged to a LG G1. My former high end monitor (Acer predator 27 1440p 144hz Gsync) looks very sad in comparison, now it only displays Excels sheets for work, the gaming PC stayed on the TV.
for inputs I've been using this baby for a decade maybe, it just works : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IICMUWS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
For games that require it, a mouse on the couch armchair does the job, played hundreds of hours of old schools CRPG that way.
Xbox gamepads have been working natively for more than a decade.
Of course you need to be somewhat close the the TV to use it as a monitor, I'm about 2m away from my 65" and it's comfy.

Now waiting for the Nvidia 4xxx series so I can enjoy 4k/120fps/HDR (my 2070s limits me to 4k/60fps/HDR or 4k/120fps).

buenoblue

That's the beauty of PC though. It only does everything!

4dDnKBA.jpg

Seriously though I have my gaming PC that I also make music on, my laptop, I have an old PC as a media server and I have an even older pc powering my mame cab.

ZJ5EevV.jpg

(Stealth mame cab flex)

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
And to add to this, I don't like video games in the living room. With how our house is set up, the kitchen + dinning room + kitchen is a large open floor plan so any sound on that TV is carried across easily to the kitchen and dinning room. I don't want video games on that TV because the sounds of the games takes over the main parts of the house. I let him do whatever he wanted to one of our bedrooms for his PC setup (that I use as well to be fair) so I think its fair to ask for that room to be the only one to play games since the distraction of it can be enclosed to that one room.
Can relate to this absolutely, but that's the single one reason why I started using headphones while I prefer speakers.

But wouldn't it be the same issue with consoles anyway?

Also, some people acting like if one have to use that PC for office work, emails, etc. WTF? Do you guys have no phones? 😶 I want to keep a gaming PC on a TV just for that, if I need some light PC work I'll always have a laptop or a work PC... That it's expensive? Well, probably, because if I build a PC gaming I'll use it for gaming, mostly our exclusively.

Also mITX setups exist, you don't have to have a big PC case RGB case in your living room if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
Can relate to this absolutely, but that's the single one reason why I started using headphones while I prefer speakers.

But wouldn't it be the same issue with consoles anyway?

If we had consoles or when it comes to that time, our kid wants a console, then it will be set up in the same room as the PC with another setup in a separate corner of the room. The living room + dinning room + kitchen open floor plan is an area that is suppose to feel relaxing and welcoming. A movie, a sports game, or a show is fine but a video game is a different beast when it comes to in-game sound, clacking of the controller, and even worst, voice chat. No way in hell a video game is going to be played in the social center of our house. That commotion needs to stay in an enclosed room.

I understand that people need the available funds to have a room available + equipment so I don't condone those who allow video games to be played in the living room. Though if possible, it should be avoided.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
All well and good unless you're left handed :D I wish they had a modular design where you can put it on either side and it has little covers (similar to the joy-con shoulder cover things) to make it look even.

I have used that keyboard and am left handed and don't have any issues. I think you mean if you use your mouse left handed, but. . .are there people who actually do this?

Kataploom

Gold Member
If we had consoles or when it comes to that time, our kid wants a console, then it will be set up in the same room as the PC with another setup in a separate corner of the room. The living room + dinning room + kitchen open floor plan is an area that is suppose to feel relaxing and welcoming. A movie, a sports game, or a show is fine but a video game is a different beast when it comes to in-game sound, clacking of the controller, and even worst, voice chat. No way in hell a video game is going to be played in the social center of our house. That commotion needs to stay in an enclosed room.

I understand that people need the available funds to have a room available + equipment so I don't condone those who allow video games to be played in the living room. Though if possible, it should be avoided.
Yeah, I wish I had the space for that which is actually my problem, but yeah, can understand that too

Fredrik

good luck running more than 1,5-2meter hdmi 2.1 cable. These are wonky and expensive
I use a HDMI extender for a 10 meter cable to the projector. No issues, might add some latency I guess. There are optical active cables too, have no personal experience but a quick google on specs says 48gbps is doable at 20m.

Fredrik

This sounds like science fiction to me. How can you have a calm and quiet big social space in the house when kids are around?
It’s like a constant black friday stampede in our house lol, toys everwhere playing their annoying repeated melodies and noises and kids and their friends arguing over the most pathetic little things. It’s chaos. It’s calm and quiet when they’re sleeping.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I use a HDMI extender for a 10 meter cable to the projector. No issues, might add some latency I guess. There are optical active cables too, have no personal experience but a quick google on specs says 48gbps is doable at 20m.
That cable must be so expensive. hdmi 2.1 is notorious for length issues

Buggy Loop

Had an SFF console sized PC in a Node 202 case for years and years plugged on TV. It booted directly into Steam big picture too without any keyboard/mouse. Was the same experience as a console.

Lady Jane

Banned
This sounds like science fiction to me. How can you have a calm and quiet big social space in the house when kids are around?
It’s like a constant black friday stampede in our house lol, toys everwhere playing their annoying repeated melodies and noises and kids and their friends arguing over the most pathetic little things. It’s chaos. It’s calm and quiet when they’re sleeping.

It's not about being quiet, it's about being welcoming. If someone comes over, I don't mind if my daughter is playing with her toys on the rug with Paw Patrol on. That's a welcoming area to walk into. You can engage with others and watch the show together if you wish, or ask her about her toys. But video games? It's usually an experience where the person playing is tuned out and focused only on the TV. Video game sounds are constantly annoying, especially if you're not the one playing but you can hear it. It's even worst if they're in voice chat. And don't dare walk in front of the TV. It's not welcoming at all.

And if you haven't noticed, I consider the vibe of our house to be vital. It's as clean as its going to be with a kid. The couch and chairs are always picked up, there's always room on the kitchen island so it doesn't look crowded so it feels good to stand around and talk, a candle is lit, the blinds are open during the day. The vibe of a living room and kitchen can improve your day immensely or reduce your attitude if it's not picked up. It's something that I consider vital in daily life and a video game playing in this space nulls a lot of effort in this area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom