• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Switch 2 could Really Be Coming in 2023, Couldnt It?

Should I buy a Switch OLED in January 2023 and at what Price?

• Yes at £305 (MRRP) - it's so worth it.

• Yes but only at £295 including Mario Kart or Skyward Sword (current offer almost sold out)

• Yes but at less than £280 without a game.

• Yes but at less than £280 with a game you actually want.

• No. Switch 2 is coming soon

Results are only viewable after voting.

sainraja

I don't think that's true. Nintendo is a publicly owned company, long term investors want to see growth prospects 5 years down the road and not just what's occurring right now. There's no need for them to rush, but they're also leaving the door open for their competition to get ahead of them.

Let's also not assume Nintendo predicted that the Switch would keep selling well. Nintendo would also have been working on their next gen system years ago with a planned window for release and deals in place with manufacturers. At this point developers already have games underway for their next system with target specs in mind.

In other words, I don't think Nintendo is holding back their next system due to the Switch. It was planned to be released with specific specs and they're waiting on getting a custom version of the SOC or perhaps waiting for the price of parts to go down. But it will release in the window they planned on
I don't really know and what I was saying does not go against Nintendo continuing to do R&D for future products but the market isn't telling them it is time to move forward.

What I find irksome regarding the Switch is that Nintendo has released it in both handheld and hybrid formats but not as a stand alone without the screen.

Surely it makes business sense to release the console for as low a price as possible? It’s the sale of games that actually makes these companies money. It stands to reason that a home console version of the Switch without screen or joycons and just the regular constroller would be waaay cheaper to produce. Hence, Nintendo could sell at a much lower price. More people will buy, the install base will be larger and more people will buy games. It honestly doesn’t make any sense at all why they wouldn’t give people the option.

As for the Switch 2. I don’t think it’s coming till next year. This time, I truly hope they go for NVidias latest SOC and for once don‘t cheap out. Something with Ada Lovelace on 3nm would be fantastic. Hell, even the small and low-end Jetson Orin NX (used for robotics) has an 8-core CPU and a ~2.7TFlops GPU. Next gen Switch 2 with > 4Tflop GPU with DLSS3 frame generation is a dream I have, haha.

I don't really know and what I was saying does not go against Nintendo continuing to do R&D for future products but the market isn't telling them it is time to move forward.

People still buying the Switch is a good indicator to release a new system for long term growth. Think of what would be better for Nintendo as a business

Someone buying a Switch 1 for $200, then buying up all the old games they missed on it at discounts for 2 years.
or
Someone buying a Switch 2 for $400, buying up new games at $60. Then continuing to support the system for 6 years.

Nintendo's best interest is to have the Switch 2 successful out of the gate, it's also in the best interest of all publishers/developers. The market is saying it's time to drop the Switch and move not only its sales but also its momentum of success onto a new product. Anyone in marketing will tell you that the best time to release a new product is when the old one is still very relevant. You never want to do it when people stop caring about it.

Last edited:
We can basically pencil in an announcement of the successor to the Switch this year (2023). I don't care what anyone else says - it makes too much sense from a business standpoint to maintain some form of hype/interest and to be ahead of the game regardless of whether the Switch is still selling like crazy. Nintendo has never gone more than 6 years before releasing a new system and we're at 6 years basically. It may not come out this year, but I'm absolutely convinced it's in the works and they will say something regarding their next system sometime this summer. And with that it also makes sense that it would release no later than the end of 2024. The Switch hardware is ancient by today's standards and I mean freaking ancient. Good luck waiting until 2025 to release the next system. The Switch selling like crazy or not, Nintendo isn't stupid. Let's revisit this thread later this summer.

Woopah

Every other single person on the internet...? Most day 1's are READY for new hardware.

That's reality.
Internet messages are not reflective of the market as a whole. There definitely are people who want more powerful hardware, but it hasn't yet got to the point where its actually stopped the Switch audience from buying games. Software sales are still going up, not down.

TuFaN

I highly doubt that we will get a Switch 2 in 2023, because the console is still selling extremely well. There is little to no reason for Nintendo to give us a new console. But I personally hope that we will get one asap, the performance is not tolerable anymore. I want my switch games to run at rock solid 30 fps and not drop to 20's at least.

Tams

Gold Member
What I find irksome regarding the Switch is that Nintendo has released it in both handheld and hybrid formats but not as a stand alone without the screen.

Surely it makes business sense to release the console for as low a price as possible? It’s the sale of games that actually makes these companies money. It stands to reason that a home console version of the Switch without screen or joycons and just the regular constroller would be waaay cheaper to produce. Hence, Nintendo could sell at a much lower price. More people will buy, the install base will be larger and more people will buy games. It honestly doesn’t make any sense at all why they wouldn’t give people the option.

As for the Switch 2. I don’t think it’s coming till next year. This time, I truly hope they go for NVidias latest SOC and for once don‘t cheap out. Something with Ada Lovelace on 3nm would be fantastic. Hell, even the small and low-end Jetson Orin NX (used for robotics) has an 8-core CPU and a ~2.7TFlops GPU. Next gen Switch 2 with > 4Tflop GPU with DLSS3 frame generation is a dream I have, haha.

3nm, lol mate, what you smoking.

Not only will 3nm be super expensive due to low yields, but also Apple has bought up pretty much the entire production batch. And then after them is Qualcomm, AMD, Nvidia, and maybe Intel waiting to get some. And Nvidia are only using 4nm for their flagship products now.

Jinzo Prime

I'm placing my bets on early 2024 with a $399 price point. I would be pleasantly surprised by a late 2023 release, but I'm not holding my breath.

skit_data

I think they’ll wanna hit that sweetspot in between the launch of MS and Sonys consoles, so I’d guess it’s at least in 2024 and more likely 2025.

TuFaN

I'm placing my bets on early 2024 with a $399 price point. I would be pleasantly surprised by a late 2023 release, but I'm not holding my breath.
How amazing would it be to get one the same day Zelda releases, but I highly doubt thats going to happen. My bet is on 2024 too

3nm, lol mate, what you smoking.

Not only will 3nm be super expensive due to low yields, but also Apple has bought up pretty much the entire production batch. And then after them is Qualcomm, AMD, Nvidia, and maybe Intel waiting to get some. And Nvidia are only using 4nm for their flagship products now.

3nm would be fantastic. Don’t you agree?

I wasn’t aware TSMC had published their allocation numbers for 23/24 anyways. Do you know if TSMC have migrated more lines to the smaller node? The point is that you don’t know. All you know is that 3nm allocation was difficult to get 2H22. Things may change over the next year or so.

Thinking about it more seriously, it may not even be TSMC that will manufacture the next gen Nano (Dane) chip that will be in the Switch 2. It may be Samsung. All we can hope is that Nintendo give the next Switch some real power. The current switch launched almost 6 years ago with a 2 year old off the shelf SOC. That was such a disappointment. We all know Nintendo can do so much better.

Last edited:

gundalf

Just going to be some PS4 level hardware, trash.

Call me when Nintendo makes real hardware again.

I sincerely miss the Gamecube days.

Isn't the Switch CPU already above the PS4 CPU anyway?
So beating the the PS4 is not a problem but IMHO the target metric should be something like half the power of a Xbox Series S. With DLSR on top and we have another candidate that can be easily blast through the next 5 years :)

Marvel14

Banned
Isn't the Switch CPU already above the PS4 CPU anyway?
So beating the the PS4 is not a problem but IMHO the target metric should be something like half the power of a Xbox Series S. With DLSR on top and we have another candidate that can be easily blast through the next 5 years :)
Portable Elden Ring at 30fps and decent settings (PS4Pro) for the SuperSwitch and Nintendo is golden for the rest of the gen.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I wanted originally to say early next year but the switch is still selling like hotcakes so why start a new gen at that time when the old gen is still selling so well. Even if the ps5 surpasses them in sales I'm sure they will still sell quite a lot of switches. They could make 2024 their slow year and go hard early 2025 when they release the new hardware.

Top Bottom