• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Switch 2 could Really Be Coming in 2023, Couldnt It?

Should I buy a Switch OLED in January 2023 and at what Price?

• Yes at £305 (MRRP) - it's so worth it.

• Yes but only at £295 including Mario Kart or Skyward Sword (current offer almost sold out)

• Yes but at less than £280 without a game.

• Yes but at less than £280 with a game you actually want.

• No. Switch 2 is coming soon

Results are only viewable after voting.

lachesis

Still the same prediction from me.
Late 2023 (Sept - Oct) announcement, and May 2024 release. $399.

Best case would be May 2023 announcement, followed by November 2023 release for the holidays - but I just don't think it will be the case, nor they'd want to experience shortages.
They'd probably aim for the 2024 holiday as 1st peak sales.

I know $399 sound like a lot of money - but I just don't think they'll release below that.... seeing most price hikes in pretty much everything around.

Gambit2483

Not happening.

And you think you aren't in a niche, but you are. Most Switch players are fine with the current level of performance and graphics. Would they like more? Probably most would, but if most of them really cared about that they'd be playing on something else.
Actually most Switch players ARE ready for something new. The only ones that aren't are the ones that just bought a Switch a year or 2 ago (which you probably fall under) or don't even turn on their Switch anyway...in fact a lot of them that no longer turn on their Switch do so BECAUSE they are tired of its 2016 graphics and want something new.

You are absolutely crazy if you think a large majority of people DON'T want something new after 6 years. People want new PHONES after a year!

Zannegan

Still the same prediction from me.
Late 2023 (Sept - Oct) announcement, and May 2024 release. $399.

Best case would be May 2023 announcement, followed by November 2023 release for the holidays - but I just don't think it will be the case, nor they'd want to experience shortages.
They'd probably aim for the 2024 holiday as 1st peak sales.

I know $399 sound like a lot of money - but I just don't think they'll release below that.... seeing most price hikes in pretty much everything around.
Honestly, if they're planning to sell it alongside the current Switch for a couple of years and decide to go with something beefy, $449 isn't out of the question. It could even be higher with production costs being what they are.

I agree though that they're probably targeting $399.

Deerock71

Actually most Switch players ARE ready for something new. The only ones that aren't are the ones that just bought a Switch a year or 2 ago (which you probably fall under) or don't even turn on their Switch anyway...in fact a lot of them that no longer turn on their Switch do so BECAUSE they are tired of its 2016 graphics and want something new.

You are absolutely crazy if you think a large majority of people DON'T want something new after 6 years. People want new PHONES after a year!
As a day 1 Switch owner, I'm telling you you have no idea what you're spouting off about.

sainraja

People keep buying the Switch. I don't think Nintendo is going to be in any rush to release the new console yet and if Nintendo stays true to their history, it won't be called the "Switch 2".

Sojiro

As a Day 1 Switch owner how often do you still play your Switch?
As a different day one switch owner, I play mine nearly every day. Current games keeping me preoccupied: Persona 5, Splat 3, and MH Rise. Considering the number of JRPGs and SRPGs that came out toward the end of the year, I am backlogged with games to play. Personally, I am good with Nintendo announcing the next switch sometime this year, and pushing it out late 2024, I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
As a Day 1 Switch owner how often do you still play your Switch?

I pre-ordered a Switch and play it pretty much daily. Just finished playing it actually.

I work with children and they if they have a console, it often a Switch. They don't seem to have any real complaints about it.

Kabelly

I'm still using Mario Kart 8 DLC as my metric for Switch 1's lifespan. I say 2024 we get the new console.

Gambit2483

As a different day one switch owner, I play mine nearly every day. Current games keeping me preoccupied: Persona 5, Splat 3, and MH Rise. Considering the number of JRPGs and SRPGs that came out toward the end of the year, I am backlogged with games to play. Personally, I am good with Nintendo announcing the next switch sometime this year, and pushing it out late 2024, I am in no hurry to upgrade.
Ok but you proved my point. You aren't one of these weirdo day 1s acting like it's "Way too early" for new hardware.

What is it with Nintendo that makes some people litterally afraid to want new hardware? 🤔 You never see this from the Sony/MS camps...

Kacho

Gold Member
Something will come this year that’s for sure. Their lineup this year looks healthy as fuck so it’s probably another Switch sku. A successor would be lovely though. It’s impossible to guess what Nintendo will do haha.

Also the poll options suck!

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I pre-ordered a Switch and play it pretty much daily. Just finished playing it actually.

I work with children and they if they have a console, it often a Switch. They don't seem to have any real complaints about it.
And you know what? Those children can continue playing Switch for another 10 years if they like...but for the rest of us that have been there day one...we would like NON BLURRY images....and Non Slide-Show performances. It's cool if your standards are lower, but many of us have moved into the 4k era.

Deerock71

Then you are what's known as a major exception/outlier.

The majority of Day 1 Switch owners do not think like you. Good for you tho 👌
Yeah. Sales indicate that, too. It has really tapered off to second place in the market, and it's never even had a price cut yet that wasn't a reaction to currency fluctuation.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Ok but you proved my point. You aren't one of these weirdo day 1s acting like it's "Way too early" for new hardware.

What is it with Nintendo that makes some people litterally afraid to want new hardware? 🤔 You never see this from the Sony/MS camps...
You said people no longer turn on their switch and are tired of 2016 graphics, that may be true for you and some of the people on this board, but I highly doubt that applies to the rest of the people with switches out in the world.

I don't know who is saying it's too early to release the successor now that we are in year six of the switch's life (maybe I missed some posts saying that in this thread), but at the same time I don't think most of us still actively playing it (on this board and not) are in that much of a hurry to upgrade. It will come when it comes, I ain't sweating it, and haven't been sweating it the last couple of years when you see post after post saying Nintendo is in dire need of releasing one.

Tams

Gold Member
And you know what? Those children can continue playing Switch for another 10 years if they like...but for the rest of us that have been there day one...we would like NON BLURRY images....and Non Slide-Show performances. It's cool if your standards are lower, but many of us have moved into the 4k era.

The sales say it all. Sorry mate.

And there are plenty of options for you. Go play in '4k'* on your PlayBox.

*not actually 4k and at a poor framerate, but hey.

TLZ

Banned

I have children and they complain about the performance regularly, calling it choppy, even if they're enjoying the games.

TLZ

Banned
- It's hardware sales have peaked and is now in the decline phase

- Why put (literally) their biggest SYSTEM SELLER trapped on it's dying 6 year old system? The market is nearing saturation. How many more systems after 6 years could TotK really push??

Nintendo would be better off doing another dual launch like they did with BOTW. They would please the whiney Switch owners that say it's too soon and also please the fed up gamers tired of this sub 1080p bullshit.

It's been 7 years. It's not "too soon". People are getting tired of Switch and want something new. Zelda TotK would be the perfect vehicle to deliver this new hardware with the least amount of risk of failure.
While I'm with you, because Nintendo don't go for latest tech, they look for what they think is enough for their games, and wait for it to mature. Also what works best for their next system without breaking the bank and make profit. So if that hardware isn't ready yet, we'll have to wait. I still hope we get the next Switch March 2024.

BUT, this is all if the new management is on the same route. Maybe they change it all up and decide to do something else. Who knows. We can only go by what they've been already doing.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Yeah. Sales indicate that, too. It has really tapered off to second place in the market, and it's never even had a price cut yet that wasn't a reaction to currency fluctuation.
Exactly. Sales indicate the market is moving on. Meanwhile PS5 sales increase. The market is aware of game resolutions above 900p..despite your personal low standards.

Gambit2483

The sales say it all. Sorry mate.

And there are plenty of options for you. Go play in '4k'* on your PlayBox.

*not actually 4k and at a poor framerate, but hey.
The sales for what? It's last big holiday season? Where it's decreasing YOY sales? Yes, they do say it all...sales are DECREASING. The market is becoming saturated....but no, let's wait until sales plummet off a cliff before Nintendo does anything...

Deerock71

Exactly. Sales indicate the market is moving on. Meanwhile PS5 sales increase. The market is aware of game resolutions above 900p..despite your personal low standards.
Sorry, but apparently you needed this:

[/S]

When Nintendo cuts 50 bucks off all systems across the board, and heavily advertises it, your mindset is set back another 12-18 months easily.

I’m starting to think it is holiday 2023. Someone here mentioned MK8D DLC, and how it ends, and conventional wisdom says it will launch after that.

I thought the same thing. Now that I think about it, my counterpoint is, would it be smarter to launch Switch 2 before the final Wave of DLC releases so most people recommit to Nintendo Online for another year as new hardware launches?

Launch new hardware between October and November.
ToTK enhanced version
and a singular major 1st party launch title (Mario or DK),
and maybe Pikmin 4.

Then MP4 would be in launch window. March-June 2024. And have major 3rd parties to launch window.

Target a handful of major 3rd party titles...COD, madden, EA FC, NBA2k, Red Dead, Batman, Borderlands and FFVIIR would be a great start.

I’m not saying these are all coming.

I’m saying, Nintendo in my mind will target these types of games. Similar to how it targeted Skyrim, Doom, NBA 2k, and Fifa at Switch during the launch year.

$499

Last edited:

Murdoch

Day one owner. No rush to want new hardware yet. Nintendo first party and most indie games play pretty darn well and offer different experiences to the other consoles.

Besides, I'm not sure what a 'Switch 2' would offer in terms of hardware bumps? If 4K and 60fps is what you're looking for you're seriously, seriously better off looking elsewhere for that experience. You're going to drive yourself insane waiting for that day to never arrive.

The switch is a handheld/hybrid device that plays Nintendo first parties and indies. It does it remarkably well.

Tams

Gold Member
I’m starting to think it is holiday 2023. Someone here mentioned MK8D DLC, and how it ends, and conventional wisdom says it will launch after that.

I thought the same thing. Now that I think about it, my counterpoint is, would it be smarter to launch Switch 2 before the final Wave of DLC releases so most people recommit to Nintendo Online for another year as new hardware launches?

Launch new hardware between October and November.
ToTK enhanced version
and a singular major 1st party launch title (Mario or DK),
and maybe Pikmin 4.

Then MP4 would be in launch window. March-June 2024. And have major 3rd parties to launch window.

Target a handful of major 3rd party titles...COD, madden, EA FC, NBA2k, Red Dead, Batman, Borderlands and FFVIIR would be a great start.

I’m not saying these are all coming.

I’m saying, Nintendo in my mind will target these types of games. Similar to how it targeted Skyrim, Doom, NBA 2k, and Fifa at Switch during the launch year.

$499

Not a chance. We'd have heard something more concrete by now.

Not a chance. We'd have heard something more concrete by now.
I actually don't think you would. Nintendo loves Apple, and Apple has perfected not announcing anything until the last minute as to not cannibalize sales. I think if Nintendo was to announce new hardware, it would be at E3 time actually. For a late 2023 launch.

Last edited:
Day 1 owner here. I have 3 switch models. One stays hacked and mostly offline (use it to hack my game saves, ain't got no time for grinding anymore), lite model if I need to travel and OLED I just got this winter, which made me appreciate all the games I played previously. I play mostly jrpgs and the current switch is more than enough for that type of gaming and I'm heavily backlogged thanks to wario64 lol. Without polling the general public I don't think we can make blanket statements about upgrades. The Switch 2 still won't be able to compete graphically with the PS5/series x consoles. As a portable imo the switch is still pretty decent. The hardcore gamers who are graphics whores were never Nintendo's target.

Marvel14

Banned
Day one owner. No rush to want new hardware yet. Nintendo first party and most indie games play pretty darn well and offer different experiences to the other consoles.

Besides, I'm not sure what a 'Switch 2' would offer in terms of hardware bumps? If 4K and 60fps is what you're looking for you're seriously, seriously better off looking elsewhere for that experience. You're going to drive yourself insane waiting for that day to never arrive.

The switch is a handheld/hybrid device that plays Nintendo first parties and indies. It does it remarkably well.
DLSs3.0 to the rescue?

Brigandier

They're gonna ride the switch train for as long as it's selling units and printing money.

Summer 2024 earliest next Nintendo console, Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's early 2025.

pdk27

I bought a OLED Switch a couple of weeks ago. Up until that point I was still using my day 1 Switch primarily in handheld mode. My joy cons started drifting again so I decided to just finally upgrade my system instead of dealing with the joy cons. Looking forward to playing BoTW 2 on that new screen.

Rat Rage

They're gonna ride the switch train for as long as it's selling units and printing money.

Summer 2024 earliest next Nintendo console, Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's early 2025.

Summer 2024 is way too early. They would need to announce the Switch 2 mid or late 2023.

This is not gonna happen, since Breath of the Wild 2 will launch in mid 2023 and the last MK8 Deluxe dlc pass at the end of 2023. There is no way, Nintendo's marketing would take the wind out of those two mega releases by announcing a new console.

If a worldwide recession - like many are predicting - takes place in 2023, it would probably need 1 or 2 years for the economy to recover. Nobody wants to release a successor to a highly successful product right in the middle of a recession.

But even in the case of no recession, there is no way the switch successor will get announced earlier than mid 2024 (at the earliest), which would then be followed up by a 2025 release. As a big console platform manufacturer, you definitely want to at least have half a year of free marketing through social media, before you launch a console successor.

Depending on how bad the economic recession actually gets, it's quite probable the Switch 2 could launch no earlier than early 2026 (prior to a mid 2025 announcement/reveal).

So for the general public this means 2 things:

#1: you will need to wait a couple more years, until a new Nintendo console hits the market

#2: since Nintendo has to somehow bridge the time gap between now an the delayed launch of the Switch 2, it's likely, they have greenlit more games than they would have done usually during a normal console life span, to keep the Switch's momentum storng. This in turn would mean, we could expect some cool surprises/cool announements in 2023 (which are going to help to keep the momentum strong in 2024 as well).

Zannegan

Summer 2024 is way too early. They would need to announce the Switch 2 mid or late 2023.
Good points on the effects of a potential recession on their plans, but I don't think we should expect that much lead time between announcement and launch.

The Switch was announced in October and hit shelves about 6 months later.They won't, but Nintendo could announce their successor now and launch in July without breaking that pattern.

Good points on the effects of a potential recession on their plans, but I don't think we should expect that much lead time between announcement and launch.

The Switch was announced in October and hit shelves about 6 months later.They won't, but Nintendo could announce their successor now and launch in July without breaking that pattern.
I actually think they do indeed do this. Look at Apple. We know when the iPhone event (September) is annually. Yet, they won't announce it so iPhones keep selling in August, every single year. Then September they announce the new iPhones and they ship in a couple of weeks after.

I think Nintendo loves this. They model themselves after Apple. Yet, nintendo won't be able to pull off something that fast. So if they announce say in June or July...they could launch the hardware in October/November.

Ozzie666

What do we know so far about their 2023 game release plans other than Zelda? I wonder if Nintendo themselves have been caught a bit off guard with the huge sales. Current Nintendo feels a bit like they end of the Wii Cycle or classic cycle when consoles are winding down. Almost like they were expecting to move on to the next system.

Or is Nintendo holding back game release information, so Zelda is front and center and does gangbusters.

People keep buying the Switch. I don't think Nintendo is going to be in any rush to release the new console yet and if Nintendo stays true to their history, it won't be called the "Switch 2".

I don't think that's true. Nintendo is a publicly owned company, long term investors want to see growth prospects 5 years down the road and not just what's occurring right now. There's no need for them to rush, but they're also leaving the door open for their competition to get ahead of them.

Let's also not assume Nintendo predicted that the Switch would keep selling well. Nintendo would also have been working on their next gen system years ago with a planned window for release and deals in place with manufacturers. At this point developers already have games underway for their next system with target specs in mind.

In other words, I don't think Nintendo is holding back their next system due to the Switch. It was planned to be released with specific specs and they're waiting on getting a custom version of the SOC or perhaps waiting for the price of parts to go down. But it will release in the window they planned on

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
- It's hardware sales have peaked and is now in the decline phase

- Why put (literally) their biggest SYSTEM SELLER trapped on it's dying 6 year old system? The market is nearing saturation. How many more systems after 6 years could TotK really push??
I still think November 2024 is the launch window for their next console which gives TotK 18 months and I think the Switch will comfortably shift another 25m units in that time. They’ll have loads ready for their next console; Metroid Prime 4 being a big game and probably Mario Kart 9 and a new 3D Mario game.

Nintendo would be better off doing another dual launch like they did with BOTW. They would please the whiney Switch owners that say it's too soon and also please the fed up gamers tired of this sub 1080p bullshit.

It's been 7 years. It's not "too soon". People are getting tired of Switch and want something new. Zelda TotK would be the perfect vehicle to deliver this new hardware with the least amount of risk of failure.

Spaceman292

Banned
They'd better have some fucking GameCube games on there. I don't even care if it's expensive, I just want to play Pokémon Colosseum again.

Marvel14

Banned

Not only that but when they gave more lead time in announcing their consoles, their competitors would copy them soon after launch to undercut their USP ( Move and Kinect). They're not making that mistake again.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The Switch’s successor will be announced when TOTK has sold enough copies to satisfy Nintendo.
No way they’re announcing it before that, ‘cuz not a few people would just wait to see if there’s an enhanced version of the game or if the new hardware could beef the Switch version up to better performance.
So we could expect an announcement in Q4 2023, and launch in Spring 2024. At that point the Switch would be seven long years old.

Akuza89

I would be saying earliest would be next year (2024) announcement in November this year at the earliest, ready to release in March!

I think we’ll see Switch in mid to late 2024 realistically. Switch is still selling really good especially for its age, so I don’t see any hints of a new Switch until the sales slow down considerably. Releasing official information on a successor or upgrade could potentially damage or even near halt sales.

Last edited:

Xellos

What do we know so far about their 2023 game release plans other than Zelda? I wonder if Nintendo themselves have been caught a bit off guard with the huge sales. Current Nintendo feels a bit like they end of the Wii Cycle or classic cycle when consoles are winding down. Almost like they were expecting to move on to the next system.

Or is Nintendo holding back game release information, so Zelda is front and center and does gangbusters.

Yeah, it feels like that. Nintendo hasn't even given much info on Zelda, and that game is only 4 months out. Have to figure there's going to be a big direct blowout in a month or two (assuming it doesn't get delayed :messenger_unamused:).

Top Bottom