• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A thank you from Guerrilla: Horizon Forbidden West’s one-year anniversary

Lets be honest here, this franchise never was that great in comparison with others from Sony, not to mention terribles decision about release date.

Horizon will always about graphics. The rest of this franchise is niche. I got the first game day one and was OKish, the DLC made a night/day difference from the base game.

They will probably englobe the franchise sales plus the VR game from now.

I'll be honest, was a damn good call from someone inside Sony to not kill Kratos because that franchise is probably the best Sony can offer right now.

Horizon, niche? 😐

Fake

And combat, and creature design, and lore, and environments.

The rest is debateble. The robots are great, the combat and lore are meh. Using bow is great, but meele sucks. There is no concil in this regards, half of players find the gameplay good, others don't.

Zero Dawn > Frozen Wilds.

Frozen Wilds adress most of the complains from the base game, so...
Well, if you ever played the first one and noted some difference.

After Forbidden West and Ragnarok, I care about Horizon 3 and couldn't give a shit about Atreus future adventures.

Sales tell another story and thats 'why' I quoted the other guy. Sony never did MAUs.

HFW don't did wonders for the lore, but even me want to see who this end. Thats nothing to do with the franchise strenght or not.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After my experience with the first game I decided skip sequel entirely and it seems I made right choice.

I tried, I played their Killzone series but didn’t really enjoy and played first Horizon and absolutely hated the game. Guerrilla Games make high tech graphics, I give them that but as far as the actual game goes it just not fun to play and their story telling dull as fuck…….at least for me.

Fake

After my experience with the first game I decided skip sequel entirely and it seems I made right choice.

I tried, I played their Killzone series but didn’t really enjoy and played first Horizon and absolutely hated the game. Guerrilla Games make high tech graphics, I give them that but as far as the actual game goes it just not fun to play and their story telling dull as fuck…….at least for me.

Yeah, I skipped the sequel for the same reason.

My problem with the game is the huge amount of potential just wasted. Most of the story behind of what happen in Earth are tell via 'notebooks', advantage points and etc...
People in this game are dumb, but some people aren't. Some are tribal, others don't. There is no final boss in the game, you spend most of the game helping the main character to know what she really is. There is no emotion beside the persona conflit about her identity (with the DLC adress a lot, Aloy become more human).

In the end, most of what get my attention are the robots and the graphics, because even fightning against others human NPC are terrible.

Last edited:
This is so far the most underrated game played this gen. GAF reception of the game is one of those things you just fail to understand and borderline feel alternate reality. Most of criticism I've read doesn't make any sense.

Great combat, responsive and precise controls, top tier enemy design and move set, stunning free-roam, fun traversal, best underwater sections I've ever played and some really, really special and soulful moments I'll actually never forget like Vegas.

Yeah this game gets to much unwarranted hate. It’s competent all around.

The only flaw imho is the world design isn’t a big enough leap and the side content is filler

It could have been a bigger improvement but it’s still a great game

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, I skipped the sequel for the same reason.

My problem with the game is the huge amount of potential just wasted. Most of the story behind of what happen in Earth are tell via 'notebooks', advantage points and etc...
People in this game are dumb, but some people aren't. Some are tribal, others don't. There is no final boss in the game, you spend most of the game helping the main character to know what she really is. There is no emotion beside the persona conflit about her identity (with the DLC adress a lot, Aloy become more human).

In the end, most of what get my attention are the robots and the graphics, because even fightning against others human NPC are terrible.
Oooooh yeah, in order to make Alloy look smart they made everyone else dumb as fuck, Guerrilla did with most boring way to make "strong female lead" EVER.

Oooooh yeah, in order to make Alloy look smart they made everyone else dumb as fuck, Guerrilla did with most boring way to make "strong female lead" EVER.
I didn't make that far before having had enough, but I didn't mind that part actually. Reminds me of Stargate SG-1 episodes where they visit some primitive religious societies. There's a great episode where they are trying to stop a solar storm or something, and everyone on the planet believes its a sign from god and won't listen. The vibe I got from Horizon was that she was more into tech, and didn't believe the religion so it was a similar dynamic. That can be really entertaining when done well. I can't say if the story fully capitalized on it as I got bored with the gameplay and bailed after 20 hours.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Probably my 2022 GOTY overall. I go back and forth between it and Ragnarok.

Ragnarok was a better game overall, better combat, better writing, acting and story, etc.

But FUCK... Horizon looked so fucking good, it allowed me to get immersed and lost in that world like nothing else I have experienced. A prime example of visuals enhancing the overall experience. Shits all over the "graphics dont matter" crowd.

The Avatar of gaming.

Last edited:

odhiex

Amazing game, beautiful vistas and fun to explore. The montage from Much shows the best bit of it. Happy anniversary!!

Of course it is not a flawless game, the story was confusing not focused, worse than the first game, plot-wise. But still some nice moments.

Last edited:
Do you mention Sony gave this game with a DLC for free?

I have both my day one cd and the free digital version.

You keep trying to establish a narrative that only exists within you. To call Horizon a niche series is an utter joke at this point.

mckmas8808

Banned
Surprised they still won’t reveal sales figures. Who the hell cares about MAUs in photo mode?

Game was top ten in the charts. It’s not like it sold poorly. Bizarre from Sony.

Super bizarre. I only opened this thread to see the numbers. We know it sold well. Like homeboy above said, it probably means it hasn't hit 10 million yet.

Fake

You keep trying to establish a narrative that only exists within you. To call Horizon a niche series is an utter joke at this point.

Want a joke? You giving numbers without context.

Was a load of years since HZD launch, loads of discounts, release the game on PC, Sony giving the game free, but no, is me that trying to establish a narrative. They are even making a remake for PS5 if the leakers are correct.

Say other Sony IP that is talking more about MAUs instead of sales and we're good. MAUs was always a Microsoft thing.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Probably my 2022 GOTY overall. I go back and forth between it and Ragnarok.

Ragnarok was a better game overall, better combat, better writing, acting and story, etc.
kombucha-girl.gif

The rest is debateble. The robots are great, the combat and lore are meh. Using bow is great, but meele sucks. There is no concil in this regards, half of players find the gameplay good, others don't.
I don't think that's true at all, on GAF maybe, but just go to places where people actually played the game like its subreddit. That's not the case.

Frozen Wilds adress most of the complains from the base game, so...
Well, if you ever played the first one and noted some difference.
Frozen Wilds was a colossal downgrade in writing, story and logs. Didn't really addressed any "complaint" outside of better framing during conversations and facial animations.

Sales tell another story and thats 'why' I quoted the other guy. Sony never did MAUs.

HFW don't did wonders for the lore, but even me want to see who this end. Thats nothing to do with the franchise strenght or not.
Fair enough.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member

Was a load of years since HZD launch, loads of discounts, release the game on PC, Sony giving the game free, but no, is me that trying to establish a narrative. They are even making a remake for PS5 if the leakers are correct.

Say other Sony IP that is talking more about MAUs instead of sales and we're good. MAUs was always a Microsoft thing.

You sound utterly ridiculous at this point. What game doesn't eventually have sales? Are we gonna downplay every game because of that? The whole Horizon is niche argument is silly, and Sony would have dumped
the franchise if it wasn't a big deal to them. I'm not even sure what you are arguing....

Last edited:

You realize that the numbers provided for 99% of the titles take all of those elements into account? How many games register such sales, even when a comparable push is made? Why would Sony remaster a project that came out 6 years ago, if it was not successful? Why would they greenlight a MMO RPG in that same universe, and why would a sequel ever release? What drugs are you on, finally, because to distort reality in this manner, whatever you have been consuming must be really potent.
I believe that you are conflating your opinion of Horizon with how well the series has performed...

Surprised they still won’t reveal sales figures. Who the hell cares about MAUs in photo mode?

Game was top ten in the charts. It’s not like it sold poorly. Bizarre from Sony.
It's not, once you understand their modus operandi: They only reveal numbers with fanfare when records got shattered. HFW must have sold really, really well, but next to what GOWR has achieved sales wise, the figures might not have looked as mighty. Plus, it's Sony we're talking about...Their communication is sparse on this subject.
The game sold pretty well, it was in the top 10 of the best selling games in Europe and USA for 2022. Horizon is in the top 5 on PlayStation Platforms for last year.

Sony only give number when they break records or there is something going on with the franchise maybe we will get the sale numbers when they talk about the TV serie.

Yes. Not that huge numbers in sale.

Graphics are most part of the game people talk and I agree. Can't deny that the game is a showcase.
The first game sold, what, 20 million copies? Do you realize how removed from reality your comments are?
Horizon Zero Dawn to be perfectly exact sold 7,6 millions of copies in one year, 10 millions in two years and 20 millions in 2022. For a new IP releasing only one platform before coming to PC selling more than 10 millions of copies, it's a huge success.

For example Final Fantasy XV needed six years to hit 10 millions in 2022 and the game was released on three platforms, Square is also really happy with this number.

Last edited:
I saw that this was going to be in the March PS+ collection and for some reason I thought this game came out a few months ago. I still can’t believe it has been a year. 😯

Crayon

The only things I reallyy found wrong with this game was the generic movie soundtrack and all these disparate cave people who talk like random dorks around the office. Unfotunately , two pretty important things. Same problems as the first one, actually. Still rather play this than most other open world games. Zelda and Death Stranding blow it out of the water, but by western standards this is better than average.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You complain all the time when Sony doesn't provide sales updates for TLOU, but as soon as they gave ups the update for 10 million copies sold, you downplayed it.

You're going to do the exact same thing for Horizon Forbidden West.

You guys do an awful job hiding your true motives with these troll comments. lol

Rac3r

HFW from a technical standpoint was a 9.5/10. If you ignore the early shimmering issue, 10/10 and one of the best looking games ever. What Guerilla needs is better writers, because the story held it back. The best missions and gameplay didn’t come until the very end of the game. I enjoyed my time with it though.

Mr Hyde

Great sequel. Enjoyed it very much. More so than Ragnarok. Amazing visuals with a fun gameplay loop. The combat against the robo dinos never gets old. Main quest was solid but I agree on the bloated side quests. Too many fetch quests, boring forgettable npcs and just all around unnecessary filler shit. Cut that shit down in the third.

Last edited:
People hate on the story, but when you consider they're combining primitive dinosaur times with climate/end of the world sci-fi, I think they've done a pretty good job. Those are two vastly different things to try and weave together as one.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
People saying the first game is better has me worried. I couldn’t finish the first game. Such a snore fest. Amazing visuals can only get me to stick around so long.

I’m still bitter that this dev is busy with this IP instead of the vastly better Killzone series.

Top Bottom