• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A thread for PC people and normal people --- [compare your PC against ps5 and XSEX "powerhouses"]

So, now that we have specs for both of the next gen powerhouses, I think we should have a thread like this.
Compare your pc specs against the next gen consoles. Do you think you're fine? You'll be able to handle the ports from those insanely powerful consoles?
In this thread you can express your opinion.

So I'll start first.

vl9su5J.png

I have a ryzen 7 3700x, 8c16t that goes up to 4,2ghz on all cores. So I'm good on the cpu front.
GPU- I have a vega 64 with 8gb of hbm2. That card has 64 CU's so higher then the next gen powerhouses. I believe this is the only part that I'll have to replace.
Memory- I got 32gb of ddr4, 3200mhz CL16, so I'm more then good on this front.
Storage- I have 3x 500gb of SSD storage that's on sata 3. I believe I'm also more then good on this front.

Conclusion- I think I have a pc that will outperform next gen consoles. I only need to replace the gpu in a year or 2 and I'm more then fine. Plus I don't think RT will be available on GCN, so I'm definitely gonna replace the card.

How bout you? Does your pc has what it takes to run next gen games/ports that will be coming from these next gen plastic box "powerhouses"?

greencoder

I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 6c12t. First 2y games will probably be cross-gen, so I'll be fine.
I have a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER. So it's kinda PS5 I guess.
I have 32GB of ddr4, 3200mhz CL16.
I have 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and 2TB HDD.

Last edited:
I have a Ryzen 5 3600, 6c12t that goes up to 4,2ghz on all cores. First 2y games will probably be cross-gen, so I'll be fine.
I have a GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER. So it's kinda PS5 I guess.
I have 32GB of ddr4, 3200mhz CL16.
I have 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus and 2TB HDD.
You're gonna have to upgrade to an 8 core cpu in future, I think.

i7-9700k@3.6ghz(probably should get around to OC'ing)
32GB DDR4
GTX 1080ti
1.5tb ssd's
500gb nvme.
3440x1440 @120hz G-sync as primary monitor and a 1440p @144hz G-sync as a secondary monitor.

I would say I'm mostly next-gen ready. I wouldn't actually HAVE to upgrade to play anything coming out, but I INTEND on upgrading to the 3080ti whenever that comes out.

Last edited:
Developers can target console hardware in different ways than they do for the PC space. You simply don't have to deal with billions of possible hardware configs. Bloated desktop OSes have an overhead that severely cripples the theoretical performance of your hardware. So even if your PC matches lets say the specs of the XsX (spoiler, it doesn't), you won't get the same performance due to a lack of optimization on the PC side of things. It will take a little while until you'll be able to buy off the shelf PC parts to simply brute force your performance superiority over the next gen consoles. Which will come at a price multiple times that of one of these consoles, of course. Games like Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn among others are a showcase for this. It'll be really interesting to see what kind of requirements those games have once they land on the PC platform.
TLDR: consoles do more with less. You're comparing apples with oranges.

Developers can target console hardware in different ways than they do for the PC space. You simply don't have to deal with billions of possible hardware configs. Bloated desktop OSes have an overhead that severely cripples the theoretical performance of your hardware. So even if your PC matches lets say the specs of the XsX (spoiler, it doesn't), you won't get the same performance due to a lack of optimization on the PC side of things. It will take a little while until you'll be able to buy off the shelf PC parts to simply brute force your performance superiority over the next gen consoles. Which will come at a price multiple times that of one of these consoles, of course. Games like Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn among others are a showcase for this. It'll be really interesting to see what kind of requirements those games have once they land on the PC platform.
Sure, true, but if it get's to the point I have to play on low, I'll resort to my favourite box, the XSEX.

J8ATTsk.jpg

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Thanks for letting us know. Don't know what I've been thinking all these years. NO LONGER!

giphy.gif

It took me some time to get it to this point, i was lucky with the GPU since i had a 1080 ti evga and they added the 2080 ti to the step up program the last day of my 90 days, the rest i got little by little. PC is an expensive hobby.
Love the step up program, used it for the 980 to 980ti. 2080ti is an amazing piece of hardware, but coming from the 1080ti, it's just not SO amazing that it warrants the price premium. Nvidia went fucking bonkers with price gouging on the 20xx series.

A robust i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz and I'm very proud of it , I build it for emulators / gaming and it does more that what I need ; consoles uses pc parts anyway, it's kinda like beating a dead horse for comparing nothing but the logo outside the box.

Sure, true, but if it get's to the point I have to play on low, I'll resort to my favourite box, the XSEX.

According to Steam stats, most people are still on GPUs like the GTX 1060. Publishers want to make money, not impress us with specifically high minimum system requirements. So they'll make sure that even their latest games are somewhat playable. Even mid settings look good to me in most PC games. So I think most PC gamers will be fine, even with current mid tier rigs. As long as you got at least 8GB of RAM, 6 CPU cores and a half decent GPU, that is.

According to Steam stats, most people are still on GPUs like the GTX 1060. Publishers want to make money, not impress us with specifically high minimum system requirements. So they'll make sure that even their latest games are somewhat playable. Even mid settings look good to me in most PC games. So I think most PC gamers will be fine, even with current mid tier rigs. As long as you got at least 8GB of RAM, 6 CPU cores and a half decent GPU, that is.
I was joking man, I have zero interest in XSEX.

I was joking man, I have zero interest in XSEX.
I totally do. XSX isn't a day one purchase by any means, but being able to play my games on my One X and then go over and pick up right where I left off on my PC is a pretty cool feature I've used a few times or vice versa. Being able to stream from my PC to my One X has been a nice feature too, though not one that is much better than my other alternatives. I think the XSX will be a nice compliment to the PC, but not a replacement.

Last edited:

Mithos

My current PC

* Ryzen 7 3800x, 8c16t (have seen 4.5+Ghz on all cores at the same time)
* GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. (7.2 Tflops)
* 16GB of ddr4, 3200mhz CL16.
* Kingston A2000 NVMe 1x 250GB** + 1x 1TB***

**250GB (max R/W: 2,000/1,100MB/s)
***1TB (max R/W: 2,200/2,000MB/s)

Last edited:
i7 8700k @5.0ghz (itching to get 3800x or wait for the 4xxx series by AMD)
32gb of 3200mhz ddr4
Evga RTX 2080 Ti hybrid @2.2ghz core and 7200mhz on memory liquid cooled as well
1 Nvme ssd boot drive 1tb
2 ssd for storage 1tb each
1 hdd 4tb for downloads, and store games I don't currently play, but want to revisit sometime
34" Ultrawide curved monitor 144hz

Any of my brothers in here play bleeding edge beta this past weekend?!

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Got 2 setups 1 for streaming 1 for gaming

Stream PC:

CPU:"i7 870 4 cores 8 threads 4,2ghz ( stock 2,8ghz )
CPU cooler: Hyperx air CPU cooler
Memory: 16gb of ddr3 1333mhz
Harddrive: 1x SSD 550/550 read write samsung evo 2.5 sata.
GPU: Msi gaming 1650 super 4gb gddr6 v-ram ( for nvenc 2000 series chip )
Power Supply: 500 watt power supply quality one.
Motherboard: High end quality MSI motherboard.

Main PC:

CPU : i9 9900k 5,15ghz all cores 8 cores 16 threads, max voltage.
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14 ( 8 years old now works like a boss ) air cooler.
GPU: MSI gaming 1080ti ~15% oc on it 11gb v-ram, max voltage.
Memory: 32GB 3200MHZ DDR4 memory
Harddrives:
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 840 SSD 256gb 540/500 read write.
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 850 SSD 512gb 550/550 read write
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 850 SSD 1TB 550/550 read write
- 4x 4TB HDD's 7200/7400 RPM ( can't remember brand anymore )
- 1TB Nvme 3.0 Samsung evo 970 pro 3500 read and 3000 write. ( 3,5/3gb's )
Motherboard: Z390 aorus Pro F8 bios for maximum CPU performance.
Power supply : 750 watt high quality brand.
Screens: 2x 27 inch IPS panels 1440p, 2x 21 inch screens and 1x acer predator 180ms gsync 1080p 1ms screen.
Big tower case, all lights off in the box under a massive desk with about 9 big fans cooling shit.

Upgrade waiting on 3080ti if its atleast 2x faster then my 1080ti, but i hope 3 times. We can only hope.

Last edited:
That, but 32 GB ram and I'm delaying the 2080 purchase depending on what Nvidia does in the next few months.

Open to a PS5, but so far I'm not sold yet.
If you get the ps5, you'll get an extra teraflop thrown in for good measure. And if you call within the next 30 minutes you'll not only get an extra TF, but raytracing audio.

But wait! There's more!!

Thanks for letting us know. Don't know what I've been thinking all these years. NO LONGER!

giphy.gif

Thanks for letting me know you're in the know. Would you mind explaining to me then why some fellow PC gamers are wanking over lists of hardware parts and comparing them to spec sheets of consoles? I've been gaming on PC since 1991 and still I can't wrap my head around this. But I'm also gaming on Linux, so what do I know :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

i7 8700k @5.0ghz (itching to get 3800x or wait for the 4xxx series by AMD)
32gb of 3200mhz ddr4
Evga RTX 2080 Ti hybrid @2.2ghz core and 7200mhz on memory liquid cooled as well
1 Nvme ssd boot drive 1tb
2 ssd for storage 1tb each
1 hdd 4tb for downloads, and store games I don't currently play, but want to revisit sometime
34" Ultrawide curved monitor 144hz

Any of my brothers in here play bleeding edge beta this past weekend?!
Is your card stable at 2.2? And is your CPU OC at 5 all the time or you have AVX offset?

sol_bad

I have a laptop with a 1070 GTX so the PS5 and XSX will both be a nice upgrade graphically.
I'll eventually get a new PC but it will be closer to the middle of this new generation.

Banned
I have a Ryzen 2600, 16GB DDR4 and a GTX1070oc (1.9ghz average)

the Series X will be a pretty good upgrade from that, and the PC will get upgraded a bit later down the line (waiting on pricing and performance details of the new RTX30 series)

Thanks for letting me know you're in the know. Would you mind explaining to me then why some fellow PC gamers are wanking over lists of hardware parts and comparing them to spec sheets of consoles? I've been gaming on PC since 1991 and still I can't wrap my head around this. But I'm also gaming on Linux, so what do I know :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not OP, but I'd like to chime in. I personally don't care what console owners do, and I wish them the best hardware, so that we get better games as a whole.

But it's when you have console warriors that claim pc's are left behind, ancient, and that consoles will shit on them, is when you'll get a response from me. Everyone has their preferences which are understandable, but people should stay in their lane and not shit on the next person. You'll see a bunch of console warriors doing this in threads all over

drotahorror

i7 6700k
16gb ddr4
GTX 1080
1tb SSD + 256gb SSD + other hard drives

I hope my cpu will stack up favorably in the future. I can get another GPU when the time comes up. I'm just lazy and don't want to build a new pc anytime soon.

Last edited:
Is your card stable at 2.2? And is your CPU OC at 5 all the time or you have AVX offset?
Avx offset, messed with vcore and disabled some cpu features. GPU is pretty stable, but at times I'll keep it around 2.1+ as you get diminishing returns after a certain point, and being that the weather is warming up. But she's been pretty faithful to me so far.

Aidah

My CPU is 8 years old (I7-3770k) and my GPU is 5 years old (Titan X Maxwell). 16GB RAM, and 1.5TB of SATA SSD. This is still a much better experience than any current console.

It served me well for years, but this year it's time for it to be replaced by the latest hotness in PC parts coming out later this year. The new PC will obviously vastly surpass the upcoming consoles, except probably in the storage speed department compared to PS5.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

Avx offset, messed with vcore and disabled some cpu features. GPU is pretty stable, but at times I'll keep it around 2.1+ as you get diminishing returns after a certain point, and being that the weather is warming up. But she's been pretty faithful to me so far.
Good on the CPU, on my GPU i only managed to to +190 on the core and + 700 on the memory, i managed to get it stable on benchmarks and games alike. OCd the card makes a big difference from stock speeds.

Kenpachii

U should have seen the glorious radeon vs nvidia days.

full-contact-medieval-sword-fighting-looks-completely-terrifying.gif

Good on the CPU, on my GPU i only managed to to +190 on the core and + 700 on the memory, i managed to get it stable on benchmarks and games alike. OCd the card makes a big difference from stock speeds.
What exact 2080 ti do you have? Mine is water cooled so I can push a little more than air coolers. But you should definitely be able to maintain a 2.1 with ease with good ambient temps.

Skyr

Got 2 setups 1 for streaming 1 for gaming

Stream PC:

CPU:"i7 870 4 cores 8 threads 4,2ghz ( stock 2,8ghz )
CPU cooler: Hyperx air CPU cooler
Memory: 16gb of ddr3 1333mhz
Harddrive: 1x SSD 550/550 read write samsung evo 2.5 sata.
GPU: Msi gaming 1650 super 4gb gddr6 v-ram ( for nvenc 2000 series chip )
Power Supply: 500 watt power supply quality one.
Motherboard: High end quality MSI motherboard.

Main PC:

CPU : i9 9900k 5,15ghz all cores 8 cores 16 threads, max voltage.
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14 ( 8 years old now works like a boss ) air cooler.
GPU: MSI gaming 1080ti ~15% oc on it 11gb v-ram, max voltage.
Memory: 32GB 3200MHZ DDR4 memory
Harddrives:
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 840 SSD 256gb 540/500 read write.
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 850 SSD 512gb 550/550 read write
- 1x Sata 3 samsung evo 850 SSD 1TB 550/550 read write
- 4x 4TB HDD's 7200/7400 RPM ( can't remember brand anymore )
- 1TB Nvme 3.0 Samsung evo 970 pro 3500 read and 3000 write. ( 3,5/3gb's )
Motherboard: Z390 aorus Pro F8 bios for maximum CPU performance.
Power supply : 750 watt high quality brand.
Screens: 2x 27 inch IPS panels 1440p, 2x 21 inch screens and 1x acer predator 180ms gsync 1080p 1ms screen.
Big tower case, all lights off in the box under a massive desk with about 9 big fans cooling shit.

Upgrade waiting on 3080ti if its atleast 2x faster then my 1080ti, but i hope 3 times. We can only hope.
5,15 on all cores stable with an air cooler? Are you the luckiest guy in the world?

Anki

Banned
Ryzen 1200 -> will upgrade to ryzen 4000 series when it comes out, probably 8core/16thread CPU
8Gb 3200 RAM -> Will add more in the future
GTX 970 -> plan to wait for new geforce 3070 series
500gb HDD -> will change to ssd

At the moment I can play current gen games so I am fine.

Kenpachii

5,15 on all cores stable with an air cooler? Are you the luckiest guy in the world?

Jup not even scaling anything down. It also helps most games do not even remotely use 100% of your CPU taxation, its mostly 30-50% at max. Wouldn't know if its stable at a extended 100% duration however. But can always lower it to 5ghz as the difference is honestly not much noticable. 5,2ghz is unstable as shit.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
8700k 4.9ghz
1080ti
16gb Ddr4 3200
1tb m.2
500gb SSD raid 0
500gb ssd
6TB HDD
ASUS predator 1440p 144hz monitor
NZXT Kraken x52 water cooler

Soon to be 3080ti and undecided on new AMD or Intel Cpu.

I'll play all xbox titles on this beast of a machine it will eat graphics for a living

Last edited:

MCplayer

I've the Lenovo Legion y740
Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Hexa-Core, 2.60 GHz with Turbo to 4.50 GHz (sustains fixed when gaming at 3,90GHz)
NVidia RTX 2070 Max-Q
Upgraded it to 32GB 2666MHz CL19 (it was 16GB)
and 1.512GB (512GB NVME and I added a Samsung 870 EVO SSD of 1TB)
3s7I68K.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon RX 460
SSD 250 GB
3 TB internal storage

so yeah, not too hot. when Sekiro came out i did a big whole system upgrade, new motherboard, CPU, and memory. cost me well over $500 for all the parts. my machine is 10 years old at this point and i've been upgrading it piecemeal. the last one was going to just be a new CPU, but i quickly discovered i would have to get a new motherboard and new memory as well.

now it looks like i'll be starting at the ground level again. ugh.

you can get your machine in tip top shape, then a few years go by, and you need to spend tons of money again to get up to speed. despite having spent the equivelant of a new console in upgrades last year, im crossing my fingers that i can play the new DOOM on friday at a reasonable framerate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom