• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A ton of new Deathloop Previews

GuinGuin

Banned

Deathloop is a simple game.

At least, that's what I was thinking one hour into my five-hour preview of Arkane Studio's upcoming blockbuster. The premise seems easy enough: You're stuck in a time loop, and to break it you need to eliminate eight targets, called the "Visionaries," in one day. Like I said, simple, right?

It wasn't until I got to the door that leads me to my first victim that I realized maybe this game isn't so simple at all. I completely missed something in a previous loop that I now realized was essential to get through the door. That's when it hit me that this daring action game is also one big puzzle.

As you've heard a dozen times by now, Deathloop very much feels like fellow immersive sim Dishonored. But here's the thing—I didn't like Dishonored. I really wanted to, I loved the idea of it, but for whatever reason the game and I just never clicked. So I was mildly apprehensive when I landed in Blackreef with Colt, Deathloop's trapped-in-a-time-loop hero: because I've thoroughly enjoyed the trailers, the off-hands preview, everything about this game has been begging me to play it. Would I fall into the same trap I did with Arkane's earlier immersive sims?

In the letter that accompanied my preview version of Deathloop, the first thing game director Dinga Bakaba wrote was, “Deathloop is a strange game.” While I wouldn’t disagree with him – Deathloop is, delightfully, anything but your average first-person shooter – I’d also say, with compliments, that it is the most Arkane-y game yet. If you’re familiar with the studio’s work over the past decade, highlighted by Dishonored and Prey, then you’re going to feel very comfortable with Deathloop. That said, the pseudo-1960’s vibe and intentional mystery behind the island of Blackreef that you’re stuck in a time loop on makes Deathloop a wholly unique experience. I’ve played the first six or so hours of it, and I’m only just getting started.

Up to this point, though, Deathloop's made sense of its dazzling array of components, and held them together with an impeccable sense of style. There's a danger it might end up tying itself in knots, though at present it seems composed enough to help guide its players through the tangle. After those first few hours, as well, I can see why Arkane politely asked to look past the obvious comparisons, because while Deathloop might be built from familiar parts, it's quite unlike anything I've ever played.

Live, die, repeat. Every morning, Colt wakes up on a nondescript beach in Blackreef, no matter what happened the night prior, and is left to uncover the mystery of why this is happening, and how to stop it. I’ve now played through a few of these loops myself, and while I’m still discovering the answers to Colt’s questions, I feel I can safely answer one: just what is Deathloop?

Last edited:

sainraja

After trying out the first Dishonored game and loving it, I will be giving this game a try. I do need to get back into Dishonored and finish the second one before they release the 3rd on the XSX.

Like what I’m hearing about this. Good thing as you get older time seems to just fly by. I’ll be there for it in about a year from now. Maybe with some extra DLC goodies by then too…and a couple of performance upgrades.

I've never played an Arkane game since I'm not that into FPS games personally. But hopefully people enjoy it. Time games stress me out, and roguelikes are not always the most satisfying.

The moment to moment gameplay will have to be excellent to make the repetition worth it. Sounds like the game has potential.

I'm still going to call it Deathpoop until reviews hit though

GuinGuin

Banned
I've never played an Arkane game since I'm not that into FPS games personally. But hopefully people enjoy it. Time games stress me out, and roguelikes are not always the most satisfying.

The moment to moment gameplay will have to be excellent to make the repetition worth it. Sounds like the game has potential.

I'm still going to call it Deathpoop until reviews hit though

Arkane Games from the past were not really FPS games more like Deus Ex or System Shock affairs. This one seems more action oriented though.

I've never really liked Arkane games, tbh. But, the concept and trailers were great. They did a great job with art direction. The whole package works really well and was enough to keep me watching. But I was still unsure.

Then I played Returnal... and now playing Hades. I think I like Rogue-likes :messenger_grinning_sweat: It seems similar to a "rouge-like" but not really, so it has me intrigued.

Last edited:
Arkane Games from the past were not really FPS games more like Deus Ex or System Shock affairs. This one seems more action oriented though.

not what I was doing (accused of console warring). I urge you to find any clear evidence on this forum of me engaging in that crap. I barely can contain my contempt for folks that do it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I really liked Dishonored so I'm looking forward to this. I'll be playing on PC because I'm convinced PS5 doesn't actually exist in my version of reality.

GuinGuin

Banned
I really liked Dishonored so I'm looking forward to this. I'll be playing on PC because I'm convinced PS5 doesn't actually exist in my version of reality.

The PC version will probably be great but I got a PS5 very easily through the Sony direct website using a Twitter bot for alerts.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Had this on lock since preorders opened. Loved both Dishonoreds (still need to play Prey) so looking forward to this one.

Tbh, even if it was just Dishonored with guns, I'd gladly take it

There is still time to squeeze in Prey. I took forever with it but I was vaping leaf while I played it. Better than either Dishonored IMO.

iHaunter

Similar to Returnal, I was not initially interested. But I'm keeping an eye on Deathloop now.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Verchod

I have to say when they first revealed this game I was hugely disappointed. I thought they'd made some weird co op or multiplayer action game.
Having now seen some more gameplay over the last few days, I can see I was wrong. It looks great. I'm now very much looking forward to this game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This game has gotten a lot of hate on here (and online in general), but I've been looking forward to it ever since the first gameplay reveal.

Throw in the element of having a friend hunt you down (and vice versa) and I'm betting it's going to be a damn good time.

Fbh

I think this will do a bit better (at least quality wise) than people expect.
Seems like one of those games that are really fun to play but don't translate well into a trailer or a short 10 minutes demo

This game looks as appealing to me as hipster Saints Row.

Definitely only a wait for game pass affair.

Since they are owned by MS now I guess it's safe to assume it will launch on Gamepass when the Playstation exclusivity deal runs out.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Javthusiast

Banned
I think this will do a bit better (at least quality wise) than people expect.
Seems like one of those games that are really fun to play but don't translate well into a trailer or a short 10 minutes demo

Since they are owned by MS now I guess it's safe to assume it will launch on Gamepass when the Playstation exclusivity deal runs out.

Yeah, probably in a year. Though who knows, FF7R still is only PS exclusive.

Fbh

Yeah, probably in a year. Though who knows, FF7R still is only PS exclusive.

Wouldn't be surprised if they re-negotiated that FF7R remake deal to extend it past the original year.
They did get Forspoken and FFXVI as timed exclusives too so there was definitely some large deal going on with Square.

I doubt Arkane/Bethesda will extend this deal though.

I'll be honest that I wasn't too sure about this, although I have loved many of Arkane's other games but this felt very much like an unknown entity. From what I've seeing of this and the feedback I've been reading it does seem like it could well be another top game from them.
It's going to be a very busy winter in gaming. :messenger_beaming:

TonyK

Even reading some positive previews I don't manage to be interested in this game, even if I loved previous Arkane games. It simply has something I can't identify that it makes me to dislike it.

CamHostage

Good to see the flip of hype on this one. It seemed like Deathloop was being ignored as a game, only seen as a joke to make about the Bethesda buyout, and when listed among titles in the PS5's holiday lineup it was barely worth mentioning for a lot of people. But it always seemed interesting if the concept worked out, and Arkane does stuff worth checking out, so it's cool to see attention coming its way now that hands have been put on it and it has made an impression.

Top Bottom