• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A ton of new Deathloop Previews

GymWolf

These previews are the first ones that actually seem to explain what the core gameplay will be. Seems intriguing. Outer Wilds meets Returnal or something like that.
Never played that one, what elements does deathloop has from that game?!

GymWolf

I will doubt Redfall hard, considering it‘s Fortnite, Saints Row, Watch Dogs hipster nature.
Yeah that one doens't seems too hot, but they described as an immersive sim open world that you can perfectly play alone so there is still a bit of hope (and we saw jack shit about the actual gameplay)

Last edited:

ZehDon

I'll be curious how they manage the repetition over multiple loops, but Arkane do great work, so there's little reason to doubt them.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We played the first six or so hours of Deathloop, the upcoming time-loop first-person shooter/stealth/hacking game for PS5 and PC from Arkane, the makers of Prey and Dishonored.

Last edited:
I’m legit happy for them. But also a bit sad for them in that this is likely the last time they see the Arkane logo upon startup of their Sony console for a new Arkane game.
farts GIF

GuinGuin

Banned

Deathloop‘s PvP has largely been a mystery with Arkane keeping its cards close despite teasing the invasion mode multiple times in the past. Now, the lid has been slightly lifted on this PvP experience during a QuakeCon panel, revealing just how it works, with the mode sounding like more than just your typical invasion-style mechanic which we have seen before.

When you play as Juliana, the most powerful Visionary on Blackreef, you decide to “protect the loop” from the menu and can choose what weapons and powers to bring with you from a hub area. You can invade a random player or one of your friends who are playing at the same time.

OK, it's happened!
I've gone from being pretty unsure about this game to looking forward to it when the previews broke to reading a lot more about what people think and really being excited for it now. I can't remember which one it was now but one of them said that it felt like the most Arkane game that Arkane have made so far.
I think it's understandable that they've secretive about the game and restricting what people can talk about in the previews but that secrecy also came close to making ignore the game.
I think now I know enough about it that I'm going to be very comfortable handing over money for it on launch day. I'm also very happy that I only know just enough about it and only about the things that I need to know and the vast majority of that info hasn't come directly from Arkane, it's actually come from people who have played it.
It's unlikely now that I'll watch any more trailers or read any more about it because I feel that any more info is just going to be stuff that I don;t need to know and will likely spoil that people who've played it aren't allowed to talk about.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Isn't just too easy to invade someone, pick a sniper and headshot him from distance?!
The game notifies you when the invader is in the world and you get 3 lives I believe. Plus you'd have to pick a spot that you for sure know he might pass through or get lucky.

I think it will work well and be tons of fun.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Cool! Sounds like Edge of Tomorrow, the Tom Cruise movie, I loved that and I also always thought it was like a game.
I’m too much of a cheap ass gamer to buy it though, will wait for the Gamepass release, sorry Arkane/MS.

Kagey K

Banned
Cool! Sounds like Edge of Tomorrow, the Tom Cruise movie, I loved that and I also always thought it was like a game.
I’m too much of a cheap ass gamer to buy it though, will wait for the Gamepass release, sorry Arkane/MS.
Don’t be sorry, that’s what they want.

I honestly couldn’t handle returnal - it made me realize I just REALLY am not into rogue-likes. But the previews for this and the fact I like their previous games make me think it’s gonna be great hopefully

Fredrik

So many MS games in the running this year.

I do think Psychonauts will run away with most of them though. Raz Gonna mind control some people.m
Ratchet & Clank still exist. You think Psychonauts 2, which is going for a similar crowd, is going to beat that?

The Ascent, while not a MS game it kinda feels like it is, I love it but critics didn’t like it and probably won’t even nominate it.

Flight Sim is a 2020 release because of the PC version unless they box the Top Gun update.

Halo is a 2022 release with the stupid nov 20 cutoff date.

Forza Horizon 5 could win the racing award though unless they somehow stumble.

What else is up there?

Kagey K

Banned
Ratchet & Clank still exist. You think Psychonauts 2, which is going for a similar crowd, is going to beat that?

The Ascent, while not a MS game it kinda feels like it is, I love it but critics didn’t like it and probably won’t even nominate it.

Flight Sim is a 2020 release because of the PC version unless they box the Top Gun update.

What else is up there?
I think you about covered it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yes, we have seen too much of Deathloop by now, but I'm actually (mildly) excited about it. I've a feeling that this would be the first Bethesda game to click with me.

While I also thoroughly appreciated the brilliance of Dishonored, it didn't click with me. I hope Deathloop changes that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

What else is up there?
Returnal. I believe it has a real shot. I hope they win. HouseMarque thoroughly deserves it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wouldn't be surprised if they re-negotiated that FF7R remake deal to extend it past the original year.
They did get Forspoken and FFXVI as timed exclusives too so there was definitely some large deal going on with Square.

I doubt Arkane/Bethesda will extend this deal though.
While this is certainly plausible, it isn't the only reason. For instance, games like Fall Guys and Godfall never released an Xbox version, although the timed exclusivity period is up since forever. It can happen.

Sometimes, there is too much work. Sometimes, the developer just wants to move on to new projects.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I was interested, but this is one of those games where the multiple delays really squashed my excitement. Same thing happened to me with drive club, cyberpunk, and recently halo infinite. The more it gets delayed, the less interested i become

Fredrik

Returnal. I believe it has a real shot. I hope they win. HouseMarque thoroughly deserves it.
Haven’t played it yet but it was one of the games that got me interested in PS5. Just waiting for a sale to jump in.
I don’t see what genre it could win though with Ratchet being there as a critically acclaimed third person action/shooter/adventure/platformer/graphics masterpiece of a game. Maybe some smaller new IP award?

GuinGuin

Banned

GuinGuin

Banned
Haven’t played it yet but it was one of the games that got me interested in PS5. Just waiting for a sale to jump in.
I don’t see what genre it could win though with Ratchet being there as a critically acclaimed third person action/shooter/adventure/platformer/graphics masterpiece of a game. Maybe some smaller new IP award?

A bunch of game rags gave it to Hades last year to be edgy so you never know.

Fredrik

A bunch of game rags gave it to Hades last year to be edgy so you never know.
Hades is a 93 metascore game, you don’t need to be edgy to vote for something like that. When we’re down into the mid 80s it needs to do something special to win.

GuinGuin

Banned
Hades is a 93 metascore game, you don’t need to be edgy to vote for something like that. When we’re down into the mid 80s it needs to do something special to win.

Metacritic is garbage. Ghost of Tsushima got an 83 and won a huge amount of GOTY awards as well.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think it could actually win quite a few GOTY awards. Very confidennt that it'll at least be in the top 3 games with the most GOTY awards in 2021. Its main competition would likely be Ratchet & Clank though for GOTY. If not GOTY, perhaps best action game. I also think it could easily bag best audio design, best gameplay, and other sub-category awards.

Fredrik

Metacritic is garbage. Ghost of Tsushima got an 83 and won a huge amount of GOTY awards as well.
I know but Ghost had good reach since it was on the biggest platform, it’ll always help all type of voting and polling. It could actually be there again this year since it has a boxed release for both PS4 and PS5. It’s dumb but that’s how it goes.

It’ll be interesting to see how PS5-only and Xbox Series X|S-only games are doing. Returnal is on PS5 only and sold less than a million iirc. I doubt we’ll see it take any rewards even if it’s a core gamer favorite. Ratchet have a bigger chance, high critics and user scores, already said to be the peak of the generation tech-wise on multiple websites, only really rivaled by MS Flight Sim but that’s a 2020 release in these awards.

It’ll be interesting to see how critics are handling the nov cutoff. Cyberpunk was released last year but is eligible for the Game Awards this year. Meanwhile we will have played Halo Infinite when it’s time for the GOTY voting but it’s not eligible until next year. It’s oh so strange lol

Fredrik

I think it could actually win quite a few GOTY awards. Very confidennt that it'll at least be in the top 3 games with the most GOTY awards in 2021. Its main competition would likely be Ratchet & Clank though for GOTY. If not GOTY, perhaps best action game. I also think it could easily bag best audio design, best gameplay, and other sub-category awards.
I haven’t played it yet but I’m not that optimistic, I simply think too few have played it for it to get the number of votes needed.

GuinGuin

Banned
I haven’t played it yet but I’m not that optimistic, I simply think too few have played it for it to get the number of votes needed.

Lots of sites give out goty awards and as long as one critic with that site has played it then it has a shot.

Top Bottom