• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A year ago February 25th 2022 The Greatest Game ever made was released

Chukhopops

You can tell who needs their hands held in open world games.
If I don’t have a talking head telling me what’s happening at every point of the story and hints thrown at me within 10 seconds then I’m going to assume there are no questlines or interesting NPCs in the entire game.

Baby Drinking GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Freeman76

Before ER dropped I was torn in what their best game was. They all have strengths and weaknesses for me. Demons Souls was a masterpiece but felt too short. DS1 was a work of genius but the last third was a letdown. DS2 had crazy build possibilities but a poorly designed world. DS3 felt like a greatest hits and was amazing but didnt feel fresh. Bloodborne had the crazy world design and gothic feel down, but very little build options and weapon variety. Sekiro was class but lack of summons meant I didnt see half of it due to lack of skill.

ER just nailed it all for me. The atmosphere, the feel, the scope, the areas were amazing. The optional areas were some of the best they have ever designed imo.

I'm almost ready for another run. My only gripe is they didnt do enough to make NG+ worthwhile. Among my favourite open worlds along with RDR2, Hunter COTW and Hogwarts.

MiguelItUp

Wow, lot of salt in here, it's just an opinion gents, don't let it get to you, lmao.

Definitely one of my favorite games, the amount of time I put into it is proof, lol. But I personally don't feel like it's the "greatest game ever", especially compared to other titles Miyazaki has worked on. Crazy to think it's been a year, and MAN, do I hope they announce DLC today. I really do.

I love all the salt, it's great. Keep the tears flowing.

I think it won its 431 GotY a couple nights ago at the DICE awards. 74% win percentage. Most ever wins and highest percentage by a mile.

It's the best game ever made, deal with it!
Reviews don't determine the "best game ever made"

They simply show the most popular game among reviewers at that particular time.

Saying something is the best should be objective - you know, like, that guy is the best 100m runner because he beat all the other top guys at the Olympics.
That can't be argued with because he crossed the line first..and that is the only requirement to decide who is best.
A game might be a critical success but not make as much money as a game that is considered average by reviewers but sells in record numbers.

So, how do we define the best game ever?

Highest review scores?

User scores?

Both combined?

Money made?

All three?

That's the problem when it is a subjective statement, because someone will say "CoD is the best game ever made" and to them it's absolutely true but plenty will disagree.

You might think something is the best and I might think it isn't.

I agree, that lots of industry support certainly doesn't hurt a games claim to be the best, but review scores are never completely reliable for all sorts of reasons so I don't think it can be definitively proven one way or the other.

You've only got to look at the way Hogwarts Legacy was reviewed by certain people to see how all sorts of stuff outside of the game itself can be used to lower or inflate a score... especially among some of today's gaming journalists.

Do you know what I mean?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Don’t dismiss the allure of The Lands Between because of shortcuts, over used mechanics, and over powered exploits. There’s a lot to take in with Elden Ring.

I think it got played to death in many ways. Brand new or just discovering it for the first time is an amazing experience.

I’m on my 4th or 5th playthrough and I remember what to do to trigger all the events. It’s good, but I also feel like I’m expecting the next thing to happen before it happens. It waters down the experience a bit.
I don't get the bloodborne love, runs pretty awful and is a blurry mess. There is no build variety or interesting abilities. Still fun to play, but it's the worst souls game.
It bleeds atmosphere. It has some incredible boss battles with just a handful of them being sub par. I haven’t had an experience like The Forbidden Forest and The Fishing Hamlet. The whole celestial element intertwined with the hunt was something special. There was a lot of variety with enemies with each location. Maybe hammering down on builds would have just broke it or made it convoluted. As far as performance, this is why fans are demanding a remaster.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game is good. Like very, very good. I don't remember the last time I put 170 hours into a game for just one playthrough, let alone being hooked from start to finish. The moment the sun rose and I realized I just spent all night playing the game I knew I was playing a special game.

There are many good things to say about the game, and I'm specially fond of two things: the world design, and the balls the developers had of making a good chunk of said world be something optional and missable. It gives this open world a sense of wonder and adventure, instead of the usual theme-park feel of the Ubisoft-like design.

But it also has it's shortcomings. Some copy pasted content, specially in the little dungeons, lefts a lot to be desired. That and the reused boss models left me a bit disappointed, but just a bit.

The game is amazing, but to me, calling this or any other game "the best ever made" is hyperbole. No game is perfect.

All negative posters should just
TRGHdhS.gif

Thread is for peeps that love Elden Ring. If you don't like it then stay out. Simple.
How about you learn to masturbate alone instead of trying to make of GAF your own personal circle-jerking group.

Last edited:

RyRy93

It’s brilliant but relative to other Fromsoft games too much filler content, a middling OST, a lack of well designed levels and forgettable bosses.

Compared to something as atmospheric as Bloodborne that nails all of those areas I just don’t understand the hype. Quality > Quantity.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Completed it on the XSX, 120 hours of playtime :

- Reused assets everywhere even down to the backstabbing/sounds.

- The engine FROM is using is not only long in the tooth by now but...it's not adequate anymore.

- Literally a reskinned Dark souls but with a horse and open world.

I don't care if it's the "please-FROM-let-me-suck-your-dick" saviour of gaming due to the "but no microtransactions , plus it's huge !" thing, i was going through the motions when playing it for the whole 120hours, i didn't like the art-direction, didn't like the open-world, didn't like the difficulty spikes, didn't like the copy -pasta dungeons, idiotic NPC's and their side quests and i couldn't stand the graphics engine anymore, plus, i got tired of the usual FROM cryptic way of storytelling bullshit, it just feels lazy at this point.

Also : the game felt unfocused to me due to the open world - same thing happened with MGS5 IMO.

I'd rather replay Sekiro or Bloodborne for the Nth time if I'm to be completely honest.

Bloodborne = Sekiro > Demon's > DS3 > DS1 > Elden ring > DS2 for me.

One of the most overhyped games of the past few years for me, I just was expecting something...better.
And It's not due to "souls fatigue" either since I replayed Sekiro upon finishing it, it's just that I didn't find it to be captivating like other FROM games.

Don't come @ me

Last edited:
I like Elden Ring with mods, but outside of Torrent being the best off-road vehicle I have had the pleasure of using, I do not feel that the game excels in any other category relative to other games. The atmosphere irks me at times with the musical score or its aesthetic design (especially in Caelid). I did not feel that way as much about anything in the FromSoftware collection except the Swamp of Sorrow in Demon Souls and the hitting rocks sound in Dark Souls II.

To be honest, there are just too many games in contention that specialize and excel in their category for this to be the greatest. It is more of a jack of all trades.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Although I’m not good enough to get anywhere past the first two main bosses I did marvel at Elden Ring’s World in the 20 hours I played it.

Breath of the Wild’s World (with RDRII being a close second) still holds my personal favourite open World though in terms of pure fun exploring and engaging with it. ER is definitely third though for me and there’s a ton of good open Worlds throughout the past 30 years.

Fredrik

Before ER dropped I was torn in what their best game was. They all have strengths and weaknesses for me. Demons Souls was a masterpiece but felt too short. DS1 was a work of genius but the last third was a letdown. DS2 had crazy build possibilities but a poorly designed world. DS3 felt like a greatest hits and was amazing but didnt feel fresh. Bloodborne had the crazy world design and gothic feel down, but very little build options and weapon variety. Sekiro was class but lack of summons meant I didnt see half of it due to lack of skill.

ER just nailed it all for me. The atmosphere, the feel, the scope, the areas were amazing. The optional areas were some of the best they have ever designed imo.

I'm almost ready for another run. My only gripe is they didnt do enough to make NG+ worthwhile. Among my favourite open worlds along with RDR2, Hunter COTW and Hogwarts.
Agreed!
On the NG+ talk as well. I’ve only done one NG+ run and I ended it halfway through, wasn’t challenging enough at least after doing an astrologer build. But I’m on my 4th regular playthrough and I already have ideas for my next playthrough, either a fire magic only build, or a samurai or frenzied flame ending. I want to get the dung eater puppet too, messed up last time, had already finished Ranni’s quests and Seluvis was gone when Dung Eater was freed.
Amazing game, so much to do compared to just about everything out there, absolutely packed with content.

I don't get the bloodborne love, runs pretty awful and is a blurry mess. There is no build variety or interesting abilities. Still fun to play, but it's the worst souls game.
Technically, it was subpar for its time, but it had the most cohesive structure and themes of any FromSoftware title.

There is so many unique builds in the game to make enemy approaches different unlike other FromSoftware titles. I had an amazing time with the bayonette charge mechanic of the Rifle Spear, the charged shot of the Bow Blade, the randomness of Celestial Brocolli, the shear momentum of the overpowed Greatsword, the range/utility of the Hunter Axe, the amplified aggressiveness of the Beast Claw, the neverending combo variations of the Rakuyo, the simplicity of Space Magic, and the range/speed of the Threaded Cane. There are many others that I have not even tried, but all of the ones I did required different timing, movement, and range to be effective. The only throwaways I discovered were the Tonitrus and Boom Hammer, which both employed temporary elemental buffs and had poor damage output.

Also, fully charging up the heavy weapon attack is the most satisfying implementation of the mechanic I have ever experienced. Since I am weak at judging range for parries the gun was a good crutch for when things got too tough. I really would love to reexperience the game again, but the technical hurdles for the original release are a bit much for me to bear when the promise of a better experience feels like it's waiting right around the corner.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

It's not an opinion, and that's a problem with rabid fromsoftware fanboys - they are presenting this kind of gibberish as facts.
I mean, it's still an opinion, no matter how much they try to present it as a fact.

Also, to be fair, that's what fanboys do, and I've seen PLENTY of that here. It's not JUST From Software fanboys. It's typically why fanboys of all forms are so annoying, lmao.

I'm close to 500 hours now. Halfway through my 5th playthrough. I'm a huge fan of previous Souls-game so my expectations for ER were sky high, but thankfully Miyazaki and From Software exceeded them. I think the map and world building are my favorite part. It's so much fun exploring the Lands Between. The game has an impressive over world and equally impressive legacy dungeons. There is always something around the corner, always something to discover, whether it's a new weapon, tool or boss.

Everything with this game just comes together like clock work. Elden Ring is the culmination of over 10 years experience producing Souls-games. You got the world class art design, with beautiful vistas that you can gaze at for hours. The magical music score, with different OSTs for each area. The combat that's been evolved and provides more variety than ever before. The replayability, with all the different builds you can make, with different weapons and ashes, is even greater than past games, which I didn't think was possible. The game is so rich in content, providing hundreds of hours of entertainment, without any predatory mtx, that paying full price for this seems like a bargain. I hope developers and publishers take notes of From Softwares impeccable business practices.

Elden Ring is such an amazing achievement in the world of video games. It brings out that adventurous feeling of going on a magical journey, that only a few select games manages to do. It's a landmark title and deserves all the success it can get.
Brilliant post friend.
Described perfectly the way I feel about the game.

Madflavor

He ain't wrong.

Bloodborne is one of my top ten games of all time. It's a fucking masterpiece. But the game runs like absolute shit, let's just be honest. I spent the past couple years gaming on a high end PC, and when I recently went back to playing Bloodborne, the motion literally made me sick. I've never had that happen before. I recently replayed RDR2 on my PS5 at 30fps, and I barely noticed the FPS. But with Bloodborne, I played for 20 minutes and had to stop. That game desperately needs a remaster or an update.

Should have added "Subjectively" on your Title. I don't give a shit if its the GOTY for you or not when games like Knack exist. Hyperbole with gamers suck.
Opinions are subjective. I mean, that's the point of opinions right?
If I stated that anyone disagreeing with me has shit taste, then that would be toxic.
But I didn't do that. I just said why I love this game and why I see it as great. The fact you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm hyperbolic.

Topher

Gold Member
If I stated that anyone disagreeing with me has shit taste, then that would be toxic.
But I didn't do that.

No, you said anyone who disagrees with you should "stay out".

Thread is for peeps that love Elden Ring. If you don't like it then stay out. Simple.

Post a thread and you should expect differing opinions. That's how forums work. Simple.

Sygma

Game was nothing special for someone who grew up playing Morrowind and Daggerfall way back then, In fact the utter consistency of the game world (finding upgrade material at the same areas in every new region, underworld being a literal copy paste in terms of design, yes im looking at these beacons to light up to spawn a deer boss) coupled to the utter lack of anything interesting to do outside of the combat is still to me something I don't get regarding the scores, and its completely fine if the experience didn't live up on my end.

So if Elden Ring is reviewed as such because of the "simili" progression it makes on the Souls formula, then that makes sense. But to call it something special in the open world department is quite the joke

Last edited:

Bekind

Neo Member
Some facts about Elden Ring :

1. One of the top rated games in gaming history. 96 on meta, 95 on opencritic.

2. Created one of , if not the most insrumountable hype and gloabl cultural phenomenon as a single player game in gaming history.

3. Won pretty much all the major GOTY awards, including TGA, Golden Joystick, D.I.C.E ( and will probably be the GOTY of GDC next month)

4. Recieved 430 GOTY awards around the world with donminated 73.5% of win rate as of now, making it the most GOTY awarded game with the highest win rate in gaming history .

5. Coming from a very niche hardcore genre, yet still managed to sell 20 million+ copies in less than a year, making it one of the best-selling games ever made.

Considering all things are subjective, whether you and I like it or not, at least some facts can speak some truth more or less.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

That is a limitation of the hardware and not the game. As for "build variety" - build variety in any FS game is Magic or No Magic. Just kidding, it's all about the weapons which BB has in spades.

. . .I mean if you didn't play the game that's fine, but knocking it for silly reasons is an odd way to go, especially as it has everything people swear that ER has, particularly an evolution of the Souls-formula that actually feels evolved (and not just "same but different"). Like, ER is a much more competent game than DS3, but at the end of the day that is exactly what you are playing in ER, "Next Gen Open World DS3."

But I didn't do that. I just said why I love this game and why I see it as great. The fact you disagree with me doesn't mean I'm hyperbolic.

All negative posters should just
TRGHdhS.gif

. . .uh huh. I mean honestly, I'd love to see your thought process in posting this. Something along the lines of "This'll show 'em. . .and gin up some react-points! Man I'm gonna get so many high-fives!"

He ain't wrong.

Bloodborne is one of my top ten games of all time. It's a fucking masterpiece. But the game runs like absolute shit, let's just be honest. I spent the past couple years gaming on a high end PC, and when I recently went back to playing Bloodborne, the motion literally made me sick. I've never had that happen before. I recently replayed RDR2 on my PS5 at 30fps, and I barely noticed the FPS. But with Bloodborne, I played for 20 minutes and had to stop. That game desperately needs a remaster or an update.
I have to agree.

When I first got my ps5 I downloaded Bloodborne and it was such an ugly mess I couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes.

It looked like it was running at 480p on the lowest settings.

Honestly, it was so disappointing.

Last edited:
No, you said anyone who disagrees with you should "stay out".
That is a limitation of the hardware and not the game. As for "build variety" - build variety in any FS game is Magic or No Magic. Just kidding, it's all about the weapons which BB ...... high-fives!"
Damn! I thought I covered my tracks properly. Shit..
Thanks for the critique boys. Gotta work on my shit posting so it comes off as less toxic later.

Koenigssee

The hype was incredible, on par with Halo 3 / HL2 or something.

The game was great, totally felt like a proper, grand adventure. Although the combat was kinda stale to me but I dig the summon system, also finding various ways to break it in early versions was pure entertainment.

After reaching NG+3, it became super boring so I stopped and decided to play DS2 SOTFS from start to finish instead to satisfy my hunger for more Souls and damn what a great story, truly the best in the whole series.
Used to struggle hard with the mollass, clunky combat when I was playing the original version of DS2, I lvl'd up ADP all the way to 99, only to found out that I could abuse iframes and backstab everything to my heart's content.
So immediately and naturally, I forgot about Elden Ring.

With that being said, thanks Elden Ring for introducing me to the best Souls game that is DS2 SOTFS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom