• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A year ago February 25th 2022 The Greatest Game ever made was released

Topher

Gold Member
Damn! I thought I covered my tracks properly. Shit..
Thanks for the critique boys. Gotta work on my shit posting so it comes off as less toxic later.

200.gif

Gideon

Elden ring is overrated tbh
Lots of things about the game are cool and neat, but pacing kinda kills it for me.
Looking for the next area can be a real chore.
You have to really be into searching high and low in open world games to enjoy this one.

Isn't the completion rate still comically low?
I believe it has one of the highest completion rates of any open world game

ByWatterson

After 85 hours I'm inclined to agree.

I didn't play at launch, had played a lot of Souls but not a big Souls guy. But Elden Ring is just unlike anything else I've ever played, with a need to explore and experiment and persevere.

It's brilliant, and at least my second favorite game ever.

Sgt.Asher

That is a limitation of the hardware and not the game. As for "build variety" - build variety in any FS game is Magic or No Magic. Just kidding, it's all about the weapons which BB has in spades.

. . .I mean if you didn't play the game that's fine, but knocking it for silly reasons is an odd way to go, especially as it has everything people swear that ER has, particularly an evolution of the Souls-formula that actually feels evolved (and not just "same but different"). Like, ER is a much more competent game than DS3, but at the end of the day that is exactly what you are playing in ER, "Next Gen Open World DS3."
I'm playing it right now, because how great everyone was saying it was. I stand by everything I said. Frankly i find it a tad boring. Maybe I would enjoy it more if it ran more stable, but I doubt I'll ever find out.
Everything I want from a souls game I can find in any other From software title, I just find bloodborne lacking.

There are two types of gamers.

1. Those who believe Elden Ring is one of the greatest games ever made
2. Those who are wrong
There are two types of people who love Elden Ring.

1) Those who will immediately attack anyone who disagrees with the premise that it is the greatest game ever made and will belittle their opinion and mock them for not being "real gamers" (whatever that means).
2) Those who accept some people just aren't into it.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Having map expanding was so wild.

Like you explore Limgrave and it already seems huge.
Then you get to Liurnia and suddenly the map is twice as large.
Or you get teleported to who fucking knows where, manage to escape the mines, open your map and you are in the middle of nowhere in the east, and there's nasty red stuff everywhere.
And then you get to the capital. And then to the mountains. And then you go underground. Multiple times! And then you find a secret location inside a secret location.

Fuck, I want to go play it again.

MrA

Banned
Elden Ring will be one of the best games of this generation for sure. And it is a crossgen game! I hope that we get a PS5 only Souls experience before PS6/next Xbox arrives. I found GOW Ragnarok better but it was because I personally choose to go to Caelid too soon and suffered a lot there. The best part were in my opinion moments like the castles where a Dark Souls like experience (tight game design, more controlled and hand crafted experience) than the open world sections. It makes me hope that Armored Core will be as good. We need masterpieces games like that.
Considering from software actually delivers games at a good pace I'm sure a new souls in 2024 a sekiro in 2025 and an elden ring sequel in 2026
Funny how during the 360/ps3 gen the Japanese developers seemed to fall apart but now they're delivering games at a good pace while western devs are now falling apart

Worst From game tbh, even worse than DS2. Only one that I didn't finish as it was too dull and boring.
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worse than DS2 or even close to that but the level, encounter & boss design of the main story dungeons drops off a cliff after the first one, plus replaying it and having to rush the dungeons that have important items in them is boring. All I can think about it how many generic dungeons I'd have to go through to get the good gear and upgrade mats. The world is fun to explore the first time through but it comes at a big cost

Now DS3 and Sekiro, that's the real good shit

I still haven’t played it but I seriously doubt the title. Is this better than Zelda?
I'm speaking personally when I call it the GOAT game.
ER has a lot in common with the likes of Zelda BoTW in terms of freedom and non-restricted experience. And if you've got a lotta patience and the will to discover then I'm sure playing through ER would be a magical experience.
Just do your research and consider if the game is for u before pulling the trigger. That's all I can encourage.

SteadyEvo

I respectfully disagree. Open world and too open ended for my taste. Drop me in a world with absolutely no clues or direction while exposing me to enemies that rape me. I’m good. Bloodborne was solid but this idea that open world makes games better needs to die.

Ge Os

Souls borne fans are among the most annoying fanboys.
I used to think playstation fanboys are the worst, thanks to the 8 to 1 ratio. Xbox fanboys are just as stupid, but having a playerbase 8 to 1 it's just easier to see the annoying fanboys.

But souls borne fans, they are a different breed.
They constantly have to jerk each other off, and if you don't want to jerk them off then you need to git gud.
They can't understand that people can't like what they play.

It's only because people are bad at the games. Because if you were good then you'll love it. Best game ever made.
And they get a boner while typing it online.

They want to be Chad's because they play difficult games, just because they can mirror themselves in it from the real world.

They are the most vocal minority of fanboys, yet when one come out talking about the games then it's only minutes before the great big circle jerk comes out.
>JoJo pfp

John Candy Reaction GIF

sainraja

I am slowly working my way through the game. I didn't touch it at all this month. It is a fine game, but I don't feel as strongly about it as most people here. I watched videos of all the bosses and mostly saw people downing a lot of potions and then "slashing" at the boss, and this isn't to downplay the game, but then those same gamers will complain about stupid things in other games, so that kind of inconsistency kinda bothers me.

People love to complain about the new player experience in Destiny where they just can't figure anything out vs in Elden Ring they love that the game "does not hold their hands" and when you actually see people play... it just looks like any other game; and I bet half of the people playing ER probably looked at some type of guide online. I mean, Destiny kind of offers you the same! lol Ok, I am stretching it a bit here, but... I dunno. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Still not finished yey, restart 3/4 times but for me Is boring comparse to Bloodborne or the First Dark souls.

The souls formula works well in a "small" game but in an open world like Elden Ring imho losts a lot of the magic.

Sometimes i'll restart ER and i'll try to finish It, maybe trying to not fall asleep after 2 hours of game.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

I used to think playstation fanboys are the worst, thanks to the 8 to 1 ratio. Xbox fanboys are just as stupid, but having a playerbase 8 to 1 it's just easier to see the annoying fanboys.

They constantly have to jerk each other off, and if you don't want to jerk them off then you need to git gud.

It's only because people are bad at the games. Because if you were good then you'll love it. Best game ever made.

They want to be Chad's because they play difficult games, just because they can mirror themselves in it from the real world.

They are the most vocal minority of fanboys, yet when one come out talking about the games then it's only minutes before the great big circle jerk comes out.

This is not Souls fans jerking off to this game.. just check this very thread with several souls fans saying its not even the better souls game, not even close ... this is the Open World lovers that are jerking off this game ad nausea, and this game is easy as fuck, first from game you dont have to get good, just fucking spam skills, use 20 sumons and call 35 npcs to help you ...you are aiming your frustration to the wrong fanbase my friend

Knack transcends games and is simply humanitys greatest achievement
No, that's Knack 2.

For me, it should be placed into a capsule, taken up to the ISS, and jettisoned into the void of space and directed to the outer edges of our galaxy so that, perhaps, in some distant time, some advanced civilisation on the outer edge of the known universe, can retrieve it and marvel at the breathtaking level of sophistication our species must possess to produce something of such unquantifiable majesty and sublime beauty.

They will call our people 'The Distant Designers of The Knack'.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

begotten

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Elden Ring innovated on - aside from making Soulsborne games accessible because of Summon & Ashes of War abuse.

Damn you must really have a hate boner for souls games, you were the first comment on the other thread too lmao
That's the exact reason the Mods slapped his punk ass with that tag.
Dude has no chill honestly. Gotta shit on ER every chance he gets.
If only he could git gud..

Last edited:

Fredrik

Having map expanding was so wild.

Like you explore Limgrave and it already seems huge.
Then you get to Liurnia and suddenly the map is twice as large.
Or you get teleported to who fucking knows where, manage to escape the mines, open your map and you are in the middle of nowhere in the east, and there's nasty red stuff everywhere.
And then you get to the capital. And then to the mountains. And then you go underground. Multiple times! And then you find a secret location inside a secret location.

Fuck, I want to go play it again.
Yeah Limgrave alone was fantastic in the first playthrough. Almost had a Bethesda style coming out moment when exiting the starter dungeon.

Liurnia was another amazing coming out moment - walking out of Stormveil Castle and through the small group of trees and slowly see the world unveil in front of you that you’re about to explore next - Perfection. 👌

Ahh Elden Ring, it is a great game sadly not for me but a great game and i enjoyed mostly my 71 hours of playing it.

I list some reasons why it is not a game for me.
- Sense of dread is overwhelmingly depressive. - Goes for all soulsborne games.
- Punishment for lack of reactive skills are just not worth when i have a lack of reactive skills.- This is something a lot of people might not understand but for a person that has reactive disabilities retrying a boss 30-40 times just at one point seems not worth it anymore. General Radahnn (after 70 tries) did it for me. however i did beat him only the victory at that point felt like i brute forced instead of actually winning. that was also where i decided enough is enough been playing Demon souls and all dark souls, bloodborne Elden ring was the final nail in coffin so to speak.

Final Words:
I recognise the game is great and lot of people enjoy the challenge and exploration i think Elden Ring might be the greatest game i never complete due to reasons above.
so yeah great game not for me, but great non the less.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Elden Ring innovated on - aside from making Soulsborne games accessible because of Summon & Ashes of War abuse.
Bro! Have you seen how big that map is ? Its big! I mean is huge! Its huge big! I mean is really big! You can ride it for hours and hours and hours in your jumpy jumpy horse! Is soooo mega ultra huge!

Oh oh oh!! Wait! And you can fight the same dragon 35 times making something so cool so trivial and forgettable because is so huge!

Can we agree is huge ?

/s

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I don't get the bloodborne love, runs pretty awful and is a blurry mess. There is no build variety or interesting abilities. Still fun to play, but it's the worst souls game.
The only things I can think of are it's Victorian setting, and rewards more aggressive gameplay. Guns are popular..?

It's very good but after playing most of them it is probably the worst so far.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Ahh Elden Ring, it is a great game sadly not for me but a great game and i enjoyed mostly my 71 hours of playing it.

I list some reasons why it is not a game for me.
- Sense of dread is overwhelmingly depressive. - Goes for all soulsborne games.
- Punishment for lack of reactive skills are just not worth when i have a lack of reactive skills.- This is something a lot of people might not understand but for a person that has reactive disabilities retrying a boss 30-40 times just at one point seems not worth it anymore. General Radahnn (after 70 tries) did it for me. however i did beat him only the victory at that point felt like i brute forced instead of actually winning. that was also where i decided enough is enough been playing Demon souls and all dark souls, bloodborne Elden ring was the final nail in coffin so to speak.

Final Words:
I recognise the game is great and lot of people enjoy the challenge and exploration i think Elden Ring might be the greatest game i never complete due to reasons above.
so yeah great game not for me, but great non the less.
Yeah I can understand this, I’m no git gud gamer either, never finished a single FROM game, until Elden Ring.

What I did on my first playthrough was going in thinking I’ll never finish it but hopefully I can enjoy parts of it at least, and I did, and eventually finished it too. Took me 3 hours of nonstop trying to beat Margit, similar length for Godrick. But through that struggle I feel like I learned the whole game since I tried everything I had on me.

After doing a couple playthroughs with different builds I would recommend an astrologer build to everyone who struggle. Just go with magic and use glintstone pebble and put in lots of points on intelligence. Try to find the meteorite staff early and rock sling in the caelid swamp. I used that til the end, the rocks will slam down and stagger enemies and meteorite staff is boosting gravity spells. Then max out the mimic. Rune arcs are useful too.

You’ll probably struggle at a few bosses anyway, and the final boss which is awful, but you’ve come so far already that I feel like you could finish it if you gave it another serious attempt.
And no stress, if it’s too hard it’s time to go out exploring instead until you’ve levelled up more. I’m at a boss in the last 4th now and after dying like 20 times I’m out finding new cool stuff instead, will return in another 5 levels or so.

MrA

Banned
No, that's Knack 2.

For me, it should be placed into a capsule, taken up to the ISS, and jettisoned into the void of space and directed to the outer edges of our galaxy so that, perhaps, in some distant time, some advanced civilisation on the outer edge of the known universe, can retrieve it and marvel at the breathtaking level of sophistication our species must possess to produce something of such unquantifiable majesty and sublime beauty.

They will call our people 'The Distant Designers of The Knack'.
And they will speak of our greatness forever and ever till the end of time

Top Bottom