• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aarrgh stupid standard rpg run around levelling up for an hour and then die pre-save

BuddyC

Radiata Stories. The dwarf mine just looked so tempting, up until a cluster of rats reminded me of my weakness towards GETTING ATTACKED EIGHT TIMES AT ONCE.

Andy787

Banned
BuddyC said:
Radiata Stories. The dwarf mine just looked so tempting, up until a cluster of rats reminded me of my weakness towards GETTING ATTACKED EIGHT TIMES AT ONCE.
By RATS.

:(

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I have one thing to say to you, BuddyC

CO_Andy

Of course it had to be a game from Enix, and not Square.

I dare anyone to play 7th Saga! This game will bring you to tears... :D

That happened to me when I faced that squid guy in FFX that got like 4 moves on you right when the battle started and most of the time they were all things that affected your characters very badly.

opkal

MomoPufflet said:
Ever played Dragon Quarter?

Gah, such painful memories. While I loved it in the end, I never stopped to think what the D-Counter in the corner was actually warning me against, and finding out it's purpose when I'm about to finish the game only made it worse. :(

I guess that's what I get for rushing.

Speevy

Banned
That just happened to me with Dark Cloud 2. I'm so accustomed to the auto-HD saves that accompany so many Xbox games that I just ran from one dungeon floor to the next. I guess I expected a Zelda-like "Save?" after I died. :lol

temp

posting on contract only
Speevy said:
That's always a good idea with Jade Empire, KOTOR, or KOTOR 2. You never know when it's going to give you a DDE.
Yeah, three slots saving every, like, two minutes, keeping the saves about 15 minutes apart. I never had to reload, though, but man did I feel safe.

rod

Banned
oh god this happens to me way too often. im like "il save after next battle"

20 battles later im dead and think fuck i havent saved in ages :(

Red Scarlet

Battery being dead > Game lock-up > Dying before a save point in the suck ass meter.

How much time did you lose/have to make up, Bud?

Starfire

Didn't use to happen to me, but now it seems to happen in every RPG, much the same as how I now suck at platformers despite being a master of the genre in my younger years. I, too saved my Jade Empire game every 2 minutes (after every 2 or three battles, or before a major one. I hate when you get dragged across a difficult dungeon, only to fall halfway through without a save point since the beginning, especially when the dungeon gets progressively difficult at the end (I'm looking at you Star Ocean III).

Zensetsu

I get a bit obsessive when i can quick save, I do it constantly and replay any conflicts to get the most efficient result. :lol When i played Deus Ex I did this a lot, because there were heaps of possibilities for handling each situation.

BuddyC

Red Scarlet said:
How much time did you lose/have to make up, Bud?
About an hour or two. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things, but it's been so long since I've played an RPG that I actually intend to finish, plus I was wanting to get bed after the next save.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BuddyC said:
Ha ha, I know where that is. While I was waiting to start a mission and before going to bed (in the game), I decided to check the town out and saw the mines. I was alone at the time, though, so I should have known better. However, despite the massive group of rats that attacked, I did win a few battles with them by playing the attack and run game. :p

Yeah well Makai Kingdom kicked my ass yesterday. You can now equip characters in buildings and spawn the build. Problem is, since the dungeons are randomly created I was spawned in a place where a building could not be placed and so I could not invite my team causing me to reset if I wanted to replay which cost me a hour of time plus the rare items I found :( You would think they would not let the game create a dungeon that prohibited the user from playing, h well.

Razoric

Banned
Beat this... just last night I was playing Star Ocean 3 for 2 hours (and hadnt saved yet) got to a save point, went to the menu screen and then I fucking TURNED OFF THE PS2. As I was doing it I was thinking to myself "jesus christ what the fuck am I doing" :lol :lol

BuddyC

Razoric said:
Beat this... just last night I was playing Star Ocean 3 for 2 hours (and hadnt saved yet) got to a save point, went to the menu screen and then I fucking TURNED OFF THE PS2. As I was doing it I was thinking to myself "jesus christ what the fuck am I doing" :lol :lol
This isn't a competition. It's more of a "let's get together and lament the tortures of the genre we all endure" kinda thing.

But yes, that's certainly horrible. Reminds me of the time I was helping my little brother in FF7, about fifteen hours in, and I went to save for him. Not thinking, I overwrote my one save, my only save, the one that had over a hundred hours put into it and was only at the beginning of disc four. I wept :(

jman2050

I'm a compulsive saver. Games like Pokemon I save every three minutes or so for fear of a game lockup. My brother, conversely, doesn't seem to know what saving is. He plays Pokemon Emerald for SIX HOURS on the Gb Player training and catching pokemon, EV training them, etc. There's a power surge. He didn't save. Once.

I felt like smacking him over the head for being such an idiot (in fact, come to think of it, I did :p)

koam

I hate when that happens in metroid prime. I odn't mind backtracking but i do mind re-doing stuff.

I've been saving like mad in DDS after having to redo the Brutes' base due to my incompetence, right now I'm doing some leveling up running around in circles in front of a karma terminal so I don't get screwed like I have in the past.

Top Bottom