• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abandoned, a cinematic first-person survival horror shooter, coming exclusively to PS5 Q4 2021

Hunnybun

Very impressive graphically, I'm surprised more people haven't commented on that. Especially considering just how few realistic looking next gen games we've seen, which I think at this point consists of Demon's Souls, Bright Memory Infinite, and not much else. GT7 too I guess, if that counts. So it's nice to see what might be possible and this is a pretty good baseline.

I don't believe for a second though that this will actually run at native 4k60. No chance.

And yeah, the acting and script were crappy, obviously.

Guilty_AI

Feels like one of those games that'll be forgotten shortly after release.
The ps5 exclusivity or the fact theres loads of games like this one (that are probably better and cheaper too) won't help its case either.
The studio also started an Early Access game (The Haunting) that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

The overall picture for it doesn't look too good given everything.

EDIT: Heres a tip for aspiring horror game creators:
if you can't afford good voice acting, do NOT try to put in voice acting regardless. Use text, or better yet, try to convey as much as you can without words.

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm not a religious person nor follow any religion, but somehow this video bothered me... somewhat.

So this "evil cult" that kidnaps the guy for some dark stuff... like synopsis says - has been recognized as "religion"?
I thought it takes generations of before getting recognized as a proper "religion" - like Mormons or whatnot.

"Religious Nut Jobs" while showing "God's Town", somewhat feels rather targeted, or at least pretty disrespectful.
I'm probably over-reacting, and I am aware of social current moving away from religion and all - but they should have chosen wording a little more carefully.

I also wonder how diverse these "religious nut job" folks, that are so evil - would be. My guess would be they are probably mostly all white.
I'm sure they are not Asian like me, and probably definitely not middle eastern looking ones.

Arkam

Could be cool.... could be crap. They showed very, very little. And what they did show ran like a fat kid. But they did stat "early development" and the targeted release is at least 6months out, so could easily be remedied. The actual environments looked solid though. I love how we are finally getting to the point where we get some dense foliage in games. So interesting, but not exciting (atm)

Guilty_AI

I'm not a religious person nor follow any religion, but somehow this video bothered me... somewhat.

So this "evil cult" that kidnaps the guy for some dark stuff... like synopsis says - has been recognized as "religion"?
I thought it takes generations of before getting recognized as a proper "religion" - like Mormons or whatnot.

"Religious Nut Jobs" while showing "God's Town", somewhat feels rather targeted, or at least pretty disrespectful.
I'm probably over-reacting, and I am aware of social current moving away from religion and all - but they should have chosen wording a little more carefully.

I also wonder how diverse these "religious nut job" folks, that are so evil - would be. My guess would be they are probably mostly all white.
I'm sure they are not Asian like me, and probably definitely not middle eastern looking ones.
I'll tell you what really bothered you:
Bad writing + bad voice acting + cheap setting

DaGwaphics

Hope the narrator for the trailer is not in the actual game. That is some really bad VA. Game itself looks kind of rough right now but could be good if it gets a lot more polish. I do like first person survivor horror games.

100% I like the premise that she was describing, but something in the delivery itself was off-putting.

Fbh

Is this some one man student project or something?
Boring looking environments with nothing in them, bad Voice acting and some short shaky 15fps "gameplay".

It would actually be a challenge to make a worse teaser trailer.

Keihart

Was that a trailer or slide show ? cool holyday pictures, now show the game!

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
It has potential to be good but the trailer is not doing it any favors. It gets a point from me for having a gun and not being another walking simulator. I will wait for gameplay.

ANIMAL1975

The studio (not the game), gave me flashbacks of another Dutch dev that made a game about Vietnam for the ps2, and later joined the WWS family.

Slap a $70 price tag on it and get them fanbois panties soaked.

Animated GIF
Even in a simple, unpretentious, thread like this you have to go and throw your troll warring War nen.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The studio (not the game), gave me flashbacks of another Dutch dev that made a game about Vietnam for the ps2, and later joined the WWS family.

Even in a simple, unpretentious, thread like this you have to go and throw your troll warring War nen.

Hospital Sense Of Humor GIF by Brat TV

DaGwaphics

No, there was something on PS4 where you controlled an animal (I don't remember if it was a cat, a dog, a bear) and it attacked other animals, but the animations were non-existent and everything was like manikins. I don't remember the name, many jokes were made about it at the time.

JaksGhost

No, there was something on PS4 where you controlled an animal (I don't remember if it was a cat, a dog, a bear) and it attacked other animals, but the animations were non-existent and everything was like manikins. I don't remember the name, many jokes were made about it at the time.

This masterpiece

Aenima

At the end of the teaser it said "gameplay reveal coming soon". So better wait to judge how the game looks untill then. Teaser was bad though.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
That did not look very interesting... like at all lol.

I'll give them the benefit of doubt and chalk it up to being a badly edited trailer.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
whats up with awful frame rate? did they even check the trailer before release?

Codes 208

Cinematic

That alone is a no thanks for me. We got enough of that shit last gen.

plus wtf is up with that shaky cam and shit tier VA?

MonarchJT

Banned
This looks incredible. So photorealistic. A glimpse of what the PS5 can do. This is done by an indie studio who doesn't even have their website up yet. Imagine what Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica will be able to do this generation! Exciting time ahead!
the fuck the graphics are horrible cmon man.
and that of the indie studio sometimes seems like an excuse especially after seeing this one.

developed by a single person.

Top Bottom