• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abandoned, a cinematic first-person survival horror shooter, coming exclusively to PS5 Q4 2021

Banned
aside from the fact that the video looks like ass and doesn't show shit, the word Cinematic alone turns me off any game nowadays. Just replace "cinematic" with "pretentious bullshit" and you get across the same information and do so more honestly, because that's what cinematic really means, let's be honest.

Phase

giphy.gif

Why would they even release that?

Aenima

If they released a game for mobile and has a twitter account for 5 years, it pretty much void this theory. It cant be a ficticious studio for a marketing stunt like Kojima did with P.T. if they already released something.

The theory is interesting and full of weird facts, even I found one, the studio is from Netherlands, and so is Decima Engine. But i really dont think this is a Kojima stunt.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The fact they have a 6 y/o twitter account sorta disproves the theory no? Also, they did make an Early Access game before:

According to their twitter, they got this approved on steam greenlight when that was still a thing 5 years ago

EDIT: lol
"The game delivers a story experience through cinematic storytelling. We try our best to deliver a rich AAA experience for you to enjoy." (sounds familiar eh)

"We will add online PVP and co-op in our second content update. You as an early access player get to experience online battles as first. We promise, the online modes are worth the wait! We tried to put a lot of attention to competitive online PVP matches where stragety and teamwork is essential. More online details will be available soon."

They released this EA access on steam not even half a year ago, called it an AAA experience, promised even online PVP, and seems to have delivered nothing. Now they appear again with this game, gaining traction despite the red flags, all because people are mistaking this for a KP stunt.
This is gonna be Life of Black Tiger all over again

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If they released a game for mobile and has a twitter account for 5 years, it pretty much void this theory. It cant be a ficticious studio for a marketing stunt like Kojima did with P.T. if they already released something.

The theory is interesting and full of weird facts, even I found one, the studio is from Netherlands, and so is Decima Engine. But i really dont think this is a Kojima stunt.
I wouldn’t rule anything out past Kojima. He’s a master troll’er.

bitbydeath

The fact they have a 6 y/o twitter account sorta disproves the theory no? Also, they did make an Early Access game before:

According to their twitter, they got this approved on steam greenlight when that was still a thing 5 years ago

EDIT: lol
"The game delivers a story experience through cinematic storytelling. We try our best to deliver a rich AAA experience for you to enjoy." (sounds familiar eh)

"We will add online PVP and co-op in our second content update. You as an early access player get to experience online battles as first. We promise, the online modes are worth the wait! We tried to put a lot of attention to competitive online PVP matches where stragety and teamwork is essential. More online details will be available soon."

They released this EA access on steam not even half a year ago, called it an AAA experience, promised even online PVP, and seems to have delivered nothing. Now they appear again with this game, gaining traction despite the red flags, all because people are mistaking this for a KP stunt.
That link you posted is also strange, the comments are from 2015-2017 yet it states.
THE HAUNTING will be available on Steam, PS4, PS5, Xbox ONE*, Xbox Series X*, PS VR and Steam VR.

Guilty_AI

That link you posted is also strange, the comments are from 2015-2017 yet it states.
the article is from 2020 october, and supposedly only has 1 comment. Those other comments must be for something else since the blue box group itself has existed since 2015, no idea since the UI from the site is rather trashy.

Heres the steam page:

Last edited:

Aenima

Well, The Haunting, they earlie access game, is in number 2 in the Indiedb site, so it must be decent. Looking at the gameplay seems like a ripoff from fatal frame, where u need to take pics of ghosts to defeat them.

And another strange thing, in IndieDB it says Blue Box studio, but in Steam it says the developer and publisher is CREATEQ Interactive

bitbydeath

the article is from 2020 october, and supposedly only has 1 comment. Those other comments must be for something else since the blue box group itself has existed since 2015, no idea since the UI from the site is rather trashy.

Heres the steam page:
The developer isn’t listed as Blue Box on the steam page either.
CreateQ Interactive?

Guilty_AI

Well, The Haunting, they earlie access game, is in number 2 in the Indiedb site, so it must be decent. Looking at the gameplay seems like a ripoff from fatal frame, where u need to take pics of ghosts to defeat them.

And another strange thing, in IndieDB it says Blue Box studio, but in Steam it says the developer and publisher is CREATEQ Interactive
The game must have raised in popularity precisely because of this Abandoned announcement.

Also, go for the community and the developer has a thread dedicated to feedback:

If you check his profile and see his previous steam names, thats right

Its also the same developer from that Rewind game Blue Box announced on Twitter 6 years ago

EDIT: No idea if they changed the steam name on a whim or if they're actively trying to hide it

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Still seems off to me.
SneakyWarrior as a name?
Game titled abandoned and past game was abandoned?

It’s a strange one.
It all comes down to the fact you can track this guy/studio's history back in 6 years. It'd be too much of a stretch for a marketing stunt. They're even actively selling a product.

They denied it? THAT PROVES ITS ALL TRUE

bitbydeath

It all comes down to the fact you can track this guy/studio's history back in 6 years. It'd be too much of a stretch for a marketing stunt. They're even actively selling a product.

They denied it? THAT PROVES ITS ALL TRUE
You can trace it back but theirs no solid history and it just looks like more trolling.

Guilty_AI

You can trace it back but theirs no solid history and it just looks like more trolling.
That would still mean kojima would have to have spent 6 years trolling, in the middle of production of death stranding when he didn't even have time to think about for other projects, then actively sell a game on steam under empty promises.

Well at least they geting free advertising on the internet and social media :D
I have serious doubts about their actual game-making skills considering what i've seen, so all this attention could blow right back into their faces.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That would still mean kojima would have to have spent 6 years trolling, in the middle of production of death stranding when he didn't even have time to think about for other projects, then actively sell a game on steam under empty promises.
The steam page states the game will release on the 21st of April so we shouldn’t have to wait long to find out.

Guilty_AI

The steam page states the game will release on the 21st of April so we shouldn’t have to wait long to find out.
*27th. That said, selling something at a $20 price tag filled with empty promises that would just turn out to be part of some marketing stunt wouldn't be a good look at all. The 90% discount doesn't inspire much confidence either.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

a cinematic first-person​

mad.png

survival horror shooter,​

happy.png

AmuroChan

Releasing a new IP during Q4 seems risky. It's going to get swallowed up by all the big 3rd party usual suspects. January is a better timeframe for a game like this IMO.

bitbydeath

*27th. That said, selling something at a $20 price tag filled with empty promises that would just turn out to be part of some marketing stunt wouldn't be a good look at all. The 90% discount doesn't inspire much confidence either.
Strange such a small studio can release two games in the same year as well. Not to mention the one releasing this month is coming to PC, PS4/5, Xbox One/S/X

Stuart360

Strange such a small studio can release two games in the same year as well. Not to mention the one releasing this month is coming to PC, PS4/5, Xbox One/S/X
Because its an asset flip pretty much, We get numerous of these games a week on Steam, literally. They all have the same look to them, and poor performance to them, and it gets to the point you can spot them a mile off.
I have to say it did make me laugh some people thought this was a Kojima game lol.

Guilty_AI

Its not strange, its poor management skills.

They probably wanted to make "game" and they tried early access with The Haunting, filled with hopes and promises they could never deliver like "AAA" quality and some MP mode. Somehow they managed to get sponsorship from sony (they even sponsored this abomination, so its possible), causing them to ditch development for their 'failed' project and releasing it in a whatever state.
Abandoned is now their "game", might even re-use assets and ideas from the previous one.

Last edited:

Keihart

I was entertaining the idea of this being a secret Kojipro game but, the footage it's way too janky to be theirs. Not even when making a throwaway trailer they do things so half assed. The fonts on the graffiti in the wall and the road sign can't be more generic and out of place, the fire place looks as some free unity asset and VA can't even live up to the cringest Kojima scripts.

If this actually is something from Kojipro, well played, they fully committed to sell the fantasy of a small unexperienced indie dev...jank and all.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Why would anyone even consider buying this ugly and generic AF walking simulator instead of replaying REVII in Q4 this year? Also, PS5 exclusive LMFAO? Sony sure knows (no) how to pick 3rd party exclusives for their platform.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Is this Indie? Seriously developers, don’t announce a game without showing gameplay! Was Sony so desperate for an announcement that they had to highlight this? Seriously all you get is some fancy words on a blog...

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Is "cinematic survival sim" a nicer way to say "walking simulator"?

Also, I get the feeling the devs took a page from the Flowers are Dead school of making bad pointless trailers where absolutely nothing is shown or happens.

shubik

What's up with all the baseless hate? We haven´t seen anything yet but half of you are already getting out the pitchforks.

I thought it sounds very interesting and besides the choppy frame rate of the brief sections, we saw I thought it looks great. Let´s wait for a real gameplay trailer and see where this is going.

Mr.ODST

If boring was the theme of the game this would be the number one candidate, doesn't look good in the slightest

Top Bottom