• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Abolish ICE

psyfi

Banned
ICE is Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a branch of the US Department of Homeland security that was established during the Bush Jr era with the intent of terrorizing and killing immigrants and people of color (especially xican@s), as well as making them more easily exploitable as low paid and abused workers.

Here's what they're up these days.

U.S. Citizen Who Was Held By ICE For 3 Years Denied Compensation By Appeals Court
70 percent of the immigrants arrested in ICE's massive 'targeted' operation weren't targets
L.A. father detained by ICE after dropping daughter at school may be deported
Video shows U.S. border officers telling Mexican teen to drink the liquid meth that killed him
Video describes health conditions in ICE prisons
Immigrant mother of three with no criminal record deported

There is no excuse for this violence and this agency. America deserves better than this.

Shauni

Yeah, ICE is awful, but even when Dems get control I fear they won't go after them like they should because the political fallout will be massive.

Shauni

They should held accountable but not disbanded, that would be madness and make our illegal immigration problem worse.

Nah, I mean, you're not wrong per say, but ICE as is needs to basically be gutted from top to bottom. It's a terrible organization that has become so right wing in its mentality and operations it's far past doing what it's supposed to do.

Aurongel

They're an absolute necessity for our border security and you won't find a single Democrat that would campaign on disbanding them. That's what makes it a complicated problem to solve.

Sunster

They're an absolute necessity for our border security and you won't find a single Democrat that would campaign on disbanding them. That's what makes it a complicated problem to solve.

are they? what were we doing before they were created?

Fuchsdh

are they? what were we doing before they were created?

ICE's job still existed, just spread across multiple agencies (Customs Service and Immigration and Naturalization Service, and probably a few others I can't think of off the top of my head.) In the wake of 9;/11 they got consolidated over time into the Department of Homeland Security.

The OP actually doesn't suggest anything besides abolishing ICE, though, so I have no idea what their goal would be or what would replace it, if anything. If the implication is that the US should not have any dedicated enforcement arm with regards to immigration, that's a non-starter.

Barzul

Fuck that US citizen being detained for 3 years story was chilling. It took them 3.5 years to verify he was telling the truth? Incredible.

rc213

Best part has to be the racist idiots who see a Mother/Father deported for a 10yr old infraction and yell about one less illegal on Welfare. Of course they don't realize illegal immigrants can't get Welfare but their U.S. Citizen children who are now left in a household with 1 less bread winner are surely going in the Welfare system. They actually believe these people will uproot their kids and take them back to a country with probably no chance of a real future.

SMH...

I think the guy who drank the water with meth was at border security. Regardless, I understand how cruel the ICE have become over the post years. The only realistic thing that would happen is reform and restructure of the ICE, but it's not happening with the current administration.

aliengmr

No. See, after an election that was saturated with paranoia about immigration saying "Abolish ICE" is about the dumbest thing ever.

Darknight

What bothers me more is the White House painting immigrants as a bunch of violent thugs. They (incl prez) keep inviting people who have had unfortunate things by some asshole immigrant which is terrible mind you BUT no one talks about immigrants getting killed in the states by natives.

Like its an issue on both sides but the WH is being biased. Sure Americans taking care of their own but still people on the other side die or suffer as well. Since they arent legal aliens, who cares what happens to them, right? Kids on Mexican side getting shot and killed in the border? Boring! Their life is worthless so no one really cares. Would never see the light on Faux TV even when something happens like this. So their viewers dont know and really dont give a shit.

So this fuels ICE and the discussing narrative the WH is pushing. The MS13 gang shit is a threat but this admin doesnt care if ICE starts ganging up the wrong people as long as they detain and deport. Really sad state of affairs.

F34R

Nah, I mean, you're not wrong per say, but ICE as is needs to basically be gutted from top to bottom. It's a terrible organization that has become so right wing in its mentality and operations it's far past doing what it's supposed to do.

I've worked with ICE teams in South Carolina for a decade and they weren't anything less than awesome. Completely respectful towards the people we had to deal with, going beyond their scope to help find family members, double and in some cases triple check everything to make sure things were in order.

That being said, in some places, obviously there needs to be some gutting done.

NoRéN

I've worked with ICE teams in South Carolina for a decade and they weren't anything less than awesome. Completely respectful towards the people we had to deal with, going beyond their scope to help find family members, double and in some cases triple check everything to make sure things were in order.

That being said, in some places, obviously there needs to be some gutting done.
I had a family member detained by ICE in South Carolina and he said the same about them.

ICE in California however seems to be staffed by racists and hispanics whose parents got theirs.

F34R

NoRéN;245266593 said:
I had a family member detained by ICE in South Carolina and he said the same about them.

ICE in California however seems to be staffed by racists and hispanics whose parents got theirs.

It's a shame that it isn't universal behavior from region to region. One year on my birthday, because my grandmother was always telling me it isn't safe to be a police officer, a couple guys from ICE said they could deport her if need be lol. Grandparents came from Cuba in the 40's. I told her and she went raging about she would bend them over her knee and show them the what for lol.

Matt

As already said, ICE wasn't exactly created under Bush, just several agencies were repackaged under that new umbrella. The job it performs can't simply be ignored, so disbanding them isn't an option.

Obviously though, there are serious problems within that organization that need to be addressed.

Top Bottom