• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute firsts in video games

Phediuk

Still looking into the jumping, Dark Side (1988) had a jetpack so there's that kind of vertical movement in the game, but it's not the same thing.

As for controllable vehicles, there's The Colony (1987 or 1988) for the Macintosh. It's one of the earliest examples of realtime first person adventure/puzzle game with 3D graphics. The interesting thing is that there's a forklift vehicle you can enter and drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1XENlUUOhA&feature=player_detailpage#t=362

Now that I think about it, Mercenary (1985) had the drivable land and air vehicles in a realtime 3D environment, just not with filled, shaded polygons.

Btw, The Colony might have a lot of firsts like storytelling told through logs, it was very exploration oriented, it had a main mission (power up your crashed ship and stop an evil alien race) but it also had completely optional sidequests, realtime top view mini map and maybe has the first flushable toilet in a first person game. :) The tvtropes entry has a lot of details about possible firsts, like having a ripped sample from 2001: A Space Odyssey or having a holiday mode (On December 25, the potted plants become Christmas trees) .

Excellent. Updating the jumping entry, at least.

Edit: also, Dark Side (Atari ST, 1988) appears to have also had vertical free-looking before Ultima Underworld.

Phediuk

On that note, wasn't the Freescape engine the first 3D proprietary engine?

It appears so, though it wasn't actually licensed by anyone. I've added it to the list, though I think it would also be good to add the first commercial game using a licensed engine. I'm thinking something like Blake Stone (PC, 1993), though there may be earlier games yet.

Lurch666

It appears so, though it wasn't actually licensed by anyone. I've added it to the list, though I think it would also be good to add the first commercial game using a licensed engine. I'm thinking something like Blake Stone (PC, 1993), though there may be earlier games yet.

The quill (1983)
Several adventure games were released written on the quill but I don't know if that counts as licensed as such.

Phediuk

What was the first game with rubber band AI (i.e., dynamic difficulty)?

Earliest I can think of off the top of my head is Zanac (NES, 1986), but I imagine there's something older.

optimiss

Sniper rifle scope with arbitrary zooming: MDK (PC, 1997)

What do you mean by arbitrary here? If you mean the ability to change the amount of zoom then Goldeneye on N64 did it before MDK in 1995. You could adjust the zoom amount with the C buttons.

What do you mean by arbitrary here? If you mean the ability to change the amount of zoom then Goldeneye on N64 did it before MDK in 1995. You could adjust the zoom amount with the C buttons.

Goldeneye was released in August 1997 for the N64, MDK was released in May of 1997 for MS-DOS. One came out three months after the other.

optimiss

Goldeneye was released in August 1997 for the N64, MDK was released in May of 1997 for MS-DOS. One came out three months after the other.

Oh shit, my mistake. I confused the date of the Goldeneye movie release with the date of the game release. Carry on people!

Fuz

Banned
According to Giantbomb

Over-the-shoulder aiming was first brought to prominence by its use in Capcom's Resident Evil 4, which demonstrated this perspective at E3 2003, but was delayed and re-worked, eventually releasing in 2005 to considerable acclaim

God, there is nothing I hate more, in games, than the shoulder camera.

Why is that a trend it's beyond me. It's so damn unpractical and imprecise.

Het_Nkik

Well, it is way earlier. Batman Forever for the SNES had a collector's edition already and it was an retailer exclusive one too (Woolsworth). So maybe this was the first exclusive retailer collector's edition too?

snes-Batman-Forever-Woolworths-Set.jpg

And Street Fighter II Turbo had one too.

DSC08637.JPG

Hmz, did this game come before or after Batman Forever?

Or maybe it was the Fire Emblem one that was Japan-exclusive?

Fire-Emblem-Thracia-776-Box-Set-Super-Famicom-1.jpg

Man, I know one thing. There were still collector's edition before the year 2000 at least. :)

Well the PAL version of SFIIT came out in August 93 so that'd be the oldest on your list.

Also, I own that Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 set and it is awesome.

Phediuk

Rampart (arcade, 1990) was perhaps the first tower defense game.

Edit: also, is there any game that could be considered a MOBA before the original DOTA map? I remember some UMS games in Starcraft 1 that had some similarities, but nothing specific.

Phediuk

The quill (1983)
Several adventure games were released written on the quill but I don't know if that counts as licensed as such.

Actually, Eamon (1980) might be an even earlier example, depending on the definition of "engine".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_(video_game)

The game itself was just a "lobby" that the players had to write their own modules for, which could then be distributed to other players. These modules could be considered either expansion packs or full games.

flak57

Populous (1989) maybe.

Maybe... I just wanted to give Magic Carpet some credit because that shit was just crazy. You could also shoot a projectile that made a volcano sprout up and kill things. Based Molyneux! (It's one of the games I see him get credit for sometimes, really he had little do with it though)

Phediuk

John Chenault's Snake (PC, 1984) and Will Harvey's Music Construction Set (Apple II, 1984) were the first games with the designer's name in the title. In Snake's case, though, it's only on the box; the title screen is just Snake.

Was Virtua Fighter (arcade, 1993) the first game with individually rendered polygonal fingers?

Huh, just as I was about to confirm Virtua Fighter after searching for a while, I thought there might be some computer fighting game that used polys and lo and behold, 4D Sports Boxing (June 15, 1991). You can create your own customized character, sliders and all and the animations are motion captured.

jimi_dini

I'm looking into the first "Collector's Edition" for a video game. Quake 3 (PC, 1999) may have been the first with its Limited Edition, but it's not clear if that was preorder-only, and the only difference is that it came in a tin box.

There definitely was Gabriel Knight Limited Edition. Released in 1998.

I don't know if Leisure Suit Larry's Greatest Hits & Misses is valid (released in 1994). It contained a special physical scrapbook exclusive to this edition.

There also was Leisure Suit Larry: Collection Series, which contained a special 300 page book included with interviews and other stuff. Released in 1997.

There also was this Special Editon of Day Of The Tentacle. No idea when it was released.

6IF42fC.jpg

EDIT: it seems this just was the first print release, US only, I got a regular box in Europe :/ . It's special now, but it wasn't a special version.

lazygecko

I believe Outcast was the very first game to have a soundtrack performed by a live orchestra.

Now, I know there were some Star Wars games before it that had live orchestral music as CD audio, but I think that was just stock music from Lucasfilm that wasn't made specifically for their games.

Phediuk

I believe Outcast was the very first game to have a soundtrack performed by a live orchestra.

Now, I know there were some Star Wars games before it that had live orchestral music as CD audio, but I think that was just stock music from Lucasfilm that wasn't made specifically for their games.

We've discussed this already. Mad Dog McCree (arcade, 1990) appears to be the first game with an orchestral soundtrack. I don't know if it's original music or not, but if it's not, then Manjimaru (PC Engine, 1992) would be the first for that category.

First game to be buried en masse: E.T. Atari

First game with scratch and sniff earthbound

First game to use your genitals: that game you hook up to your wang (custom maid 3d)

joeblow

The first game with scratch 'n sniff was Leather Godesses of Phobos (Infocom - 1985).
~~~
I don't think I see it up, but what about the first title with tools that allowed gamers to create and play their own content? The earliest I can find are both from 1983:

Lode Runner (Broderbund)
Pinball Construction Set (Electronic Arts)

DeadTrees

We've discussed this already. Mad Dog McCree (arcade, 1990) appears to be the first game with an orchestral soundtrack. I don't know if it's original music or not, but if it's not, then Manjimaru (PC Engine, 1992) would be the first for that category.

Actually, a bunch (OK, maybe closer to one) of 1983-1984 laserdisc games used orchestral music, including Firefox (and possibly Dragon's Lair).

Hey Phediuk, I just noticed there isn't an entry about the visible appearance changes on the player character you asked about. I'll quote myself for easier viewing:
Btw, regarding changes in appearance, found an article on tvtropes, the reverse of what you asked is Informed Equipment (as in when the appearance doesn't change) but it lilsts the first Dragon Quest (1986) as averting this by adding a sword and a shield to the player sprite when you equip them. Confirmed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmzHrNVelL0&feature=player_detailpage#t=243

It doesn't change the appearance according to the type of weapon or shield you equip (it's always the same sword and shield), so it's a bit primitive.

Btw, I've been thinking, the list is a bit messy like this, it's not that easy to find an information if you're searching for it. Maybe the list can be sorted and filtered by different groups. Stuff like:

- Hardware Firsts (first game to contain a microprocessor, first Laserdisc game, game cartridges, rumble feature, maybe even first coin operated arcade game etc.)
- Marketing(?) Firsts (first commercially released game, first commercially licensed game, first game licensed from a comic book etc.)
- Genre Firsts (first shooter, first racing game, first strategy etc.)
- Graphics Firsts (first vector game, first occurrence of bloom, level background, color graphics etc.)
- Sound/Music Firsts (sound, dynamic soundtrack, live instrumentation etc.)
- Gameplay Firsts (realtime gameplay, simultaneous mutliplayer, open world, cover system, maybe physics should go here as well? etc.)

I haven't really thought it through, but it might make the list easier to read as well as clarify what categories and first occurrences we haven't even thought of yet.

Phediuk

I believe the sticky grenade was invented in Shadow Warrior.

Actually, the Crash Bombs in Mega Man 2 (NES, 1988) work the same way. I'll add them both to the list, as MM2's grenades stick only to walls, and not to enemies. Also, there might be an older example.

Phediuk

Hey Phediuk, I just noticed there isn't an entry about the visible appearance changes on the player character you asked about. I'll quote myself for easier viewing:

Btw, I've been thinking, the list is a bit messy like this, it's not that easy to find an information if you're searching for it. Maybe the list can be sorted and filtered by different groups. Stuff like:

- Hardware Firsts (first game to contain a microprocessor, first Laserdisc game, game cartridges, rumble feature, maybe even first coin operated arcade game etc.)
- Marketing(?) Firsts (first commercially released game, first commercially licensed game, first game licensed from a comic book etc.)
- Genre Firsts (first shooter, first racing game, first strategy etc.)
- Graphics Firsts (first vector game, first occurrence of bloom, level background, color graphics etc.)
- Sound/Music Firsts (sound, dynamic soundtrack, live instrumentation etc.)
- Gameplay Firsts (realtime gameplay, simultaneous mutliplayer, open world, cover system, maybe physics should go here as well? etc.)

I haven't really thought it through, but it might make the list easier to read as well as clarify what categories and first occurrences we haven't even thought of yet.

The equipment changing thing is hard to establish. The Legend of Zelda (FDS, 1986), released even earlier than Dragon Quest, reflects what type of shield you have Link's body, but nothing else. Wouldn't surprise if there was an earlier proto-example, too.

I will add it to the list anyway. As for the categories you've suggested, good idea. I will implement those later.

petghost

Banned
im interested in learning about some fighting game firsts. as far as i know darkstalkers: the night warriors (or vampire 1 i guess) was the first game to feature chain combos and EX moves (powered up special move costing meter), Super Turbo was the first game to feature Negative Edge as a means of inputs (release of button registers an input) and samurai shodown was the first game to feature a super meter.

can anybody illuminate me on whether these are correct (i kind of doubt it im just guessing) and what else they know about this subject.

Phediuk

Update! Apparently, Geom Cube (PS1, 1994) came out before Tekken, making it the first polygonal 60fps console game.

Xscapist

What was the first game to include backstory in the manual? Was there one earlier than Temple of Apshai?

EDIT: Actually, digging around a little more, it might be another first for Atari Superman (which was released before Temple Of Apshai).

Xscapist

Oh, regarding first game with multiple endings: Deadline (1982) beat Karateka (1984) by a few years (though I'm not sure I'd say Karateka has alternate endings, when the "bad end" is just another game over screen like any time you die earlier in the game).

The first arcade coin-op to have multiple endings may've been Bubble Bobble (1986), and the endings are hilariously bizarre.

Phediuk

Oh, regarding first game with multiple endings: Deadline (1982) beat Karateka (1984) by a few years (though I'm not sure I'd say Karateka has alternate endings, when the "bad end" is just another game over screen like any time you die earlier in the game).

The first arcade coin-op to have multiple endings may've been Bubble Bobble (1986), and the endings are hilariously bizarre.

Yo, I know you posted this over a month ago, but thanks for the tip on multiple endings. OP updated!

REDSLATE

Was Half-Life really the first GotY? I know it's the first one I owned, but I would have thought it was a much older trend.

Really enjoyed reading this thread.

How about the first game with proper, extensive voice acting? First famous person to voice a character?

Top Bottom