• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Absolute firsts in video games

I love this thread. It's just somebody trying to say something from memory and then like three people immediately going NOOOOOOPE.

Some interesting stuff though for sure.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was just thinking about this... what was the first game to hide important plot points on audio cassettes/data logs instead of being told to you in cutscenes? Because I hate that shit and it's all over the place recently. Just give me a regular cutscene.

I was just thinking about this... what was the first game to hide important plot points on audio cassettes/data logs instead of being told to you in cutscenes? Because I hate that shit and it's all over the place recently. Just give me a regular cutscene.

The Colony (1988) for Mac, Amiga and DOS was a very early, if not one of the first examples of that first person exploration, abandoned space station, reading crew logs trope, before System Shock and the Marathon games.

jrcnzfA.png

QCtSiRZ.png

But I'd say it really originates from RPGs, dungeon crawlers etc, finding puzzling notes from past adventurers inside crypts, as far as games go.

petran79

Banned
FFVI had interactive toilets in Vector. A year before FFVI, Day of the Tentacle had interactive toilets that a scientist modified to serve as time machines (lol).

Zak McKraken in 1988 is the first that comes to mind
"Excuse me!" and then camera turns right, hiding the scene

hqdefault.jpg

Leisure Suite Larry had it too a year previously

rbjP7A7.jpg

celsowmbr

Banned
I'am making some videos inspired by this very thread:

1. 1947-1980:
  2. 1981-1990:

Now, I'am working at 1991-2000
I hope you guys enjoy them !