• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According Jez Corden only approximately 1/3 of the games in development at Xbox Game Studios have been announced from their overall roadmap

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thanks for the heads-up and the mods for the title change

Aaron Rodgers Applause GIF by State Farm

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I don't believe half of the shit that comes out of the talking heads that specialize in Xbox. The constant shit hype for new consoles and controller skins is fucking done and lost on me. I've been a customer since OG Xbox days and it's not like I am going anywhere with the 600+ digital games I racked up, yet I still tune in to watch Major Nelson and the obnoxious chick with the stupid haircut talk about crap when they put on a show. I don't know why I bother.

Give us the games we fucking want.More back compat, every week. New big JRPG development, since it's been 14 fucking god damned years since Lost Odyssey and Microsoft is made of money while being willing to piss it away on shit like Crackdown 3. Get Japanese studios on board so games aren't absent from Xbox only. Buy someone like Sega, Capcom, or Konami and hit the ground running.

Fuck Jez Corden and his speculation click bait.

frusterated-overwhelmed.gif

bender

What time is it?
I don't believe half of the shit that comes out of the talking heads that specialize in Xbox. The constant shit hype for new consoles and controller skins is fucking done and lost on me. I've been a customer since OG Xbox days and it's not like I am going anywhere with the 600+ digital games I racked up, yet I still tune in to watch Major Nelson and the obnoxious chick with the stupid haircut talk about crap when they put on a show. I don't know why I bother.

Give us the games we fucking want.More back compat, every week. New big JRPG development, since it's been 14 fucking god damned years since Lost Odyssey and Microsoft is made of money while being willing to piss it away on shit like Crackdown 3. Get Japanese studios on board so games aren't absent from Xbox only. Buy someone like Sega, Capcom, or Konami and hit the ground running.

Fuck Jez Corden and his speculation click bait.

frusterated-overwhelmed.gif

Q7KervH.gif

Topher

Gold Member
This shouldn't be a surprise, should it? Many studios have multiple projects ongoing. We don't know what Compulsion games is working on at all.

Yes, they have 23 studios

And so far we have

Fable
Redfall
Starfield
Forza horizon 5
Halo infinite
Everwild
Hellbalde 2
Perfect dark
Outer worlds 2

Thats leaves 12 devs yet to announce not accounting for studios with multiple teams.

Avowed
TES 6
Indiana Jones game
State of Decay 3

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This shouldn't be a surprise, should it? Many studios have multiple projects ongoing. We don't know what Compulsion games is working on at all.

Avowed
TES 6
Indiana Jones game
State of Decay 3
That 8 then.
Im not confident in what Jez is saying here.

Pallas

Gold Member
Yes, they have 23 studios

And so far we have

Fable
Redfall
Starfield
Forza horizon 5
Halo infinite
Everwild
Hellbalde 2
Perfect dark
Outer worlds 2

Thats leaves 12 devs yet to announce not accounting for studios with multiple teams.

Avowed
TES 6
Indiana Jones game
State of Decay 3
Don’t forget Project Mara from Ninja Theory either, not sure how that’s going yet but it was announced.

This shouldn't be a surprise, should it? Many studios have multiple projects ongoing. We don't know what Compulsion games is working on
I still don't understand that particular acquisition. Compulsion Games does not have a stellar track record. I'm definitely interested the least in what they're doing.

jigglet

Banned
Granted, I bet about 70% of the remaining 2/3'rd are indie games. Of course indie games can be every bit as good as AAA but I think it's always good to be critical about this type of hype bait.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Granted, I bet about 70% of the remaining 2/3'rd are indie games. Of course indie games can be every bit as good as AAA but I think it's always good to be critical about this type of hype bait.
I think if these studios have 2-3 titles in development and there aren't 350 - 450 devs working there then there's a good chance 1 or more of the titles are smaller AA projects

Last edited:

Banned
well that only makes sense. they now have a metric shitton of dev teams but only a dozen or so announced games

keep in mind that one studio can have multiple dev teams within those studios that could work on separate titles. so while they have 23 studios, they have most likely about tice as many active dev teams that might work on separate titles at the same time.

even smaller studios often have an A and a B team

Last edited:
I still don't understand that particular acquisition. Compulsion Games does not have a stellar track record.

Because We Happy Few was achieved with less than a 300,000 dollar budget (and with a 40 person team).

With an actual budget and more help (the team is double the size now), they can and will produce some solid content.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The announced exclusive line up is amazing. Im curious what id is up to, no doubt they will raise the bar for 60fps visuals for this generation.

Because We Happy Few was achieved with less than a 300,000 dollar budget (and with a 40 person team).

With an actual budget and more help (the team is double the size now), they can and will produce some solid content.
Budget doesn't beat good ideas, and both of the games I've seen from Compulsion were sort of dreary and uninteresting experiences that had some decent art design. I still would have to say that it was the weakest of all the MS purchases over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not news. Its pretty normal to have a release slate pencilled out for the next 3-4 years.
That is true for all companies too. Also, what is the definition of development? Is a guy asked to do some storyboards for a game potentially slated for release in 2028 technically counted as in development?

At my old company that more techie kinds of products, the marketing manager would tell me (sat beside him), head office R&D has products ready to go for the next 5 years. But all people know is what's on shelves now and at most 95% of employees only know whats coming out 1 year from now too. Anything coming out in 2 years or more only a select number of high level people and appropriate department knows about.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
But you have to take into account multiple games being done by a single dev. Both Fable and Forza Horizon 5 are being made by Playground Games, for example. Bethesda Game Studios is working on TES 6 and Starfield. There isn't a one to one ratio of studio to game.

Also have to take into account some of these teams are really large with a shitload of employees and some are small.

I could believe what Jez is saying, but at the same time who really cares because all this stuff is years and years away.

For some reason it seems like Ms studios in particular have trouble pushing games out the door and something big is always around the corner.

As long as they keep feeding gamepass 3rd party games, I don’t care and will continue to sub.

The same thing can be said about Sony, it is unknown on what many studios are working, the only thing we learnt at the showcase was what Insomniac is working on.

But the same argument for Sony counts also for XBOX. Why should they already announce their whole roadmap? At this stage XBOX Series X is still sold out anywhere, so there is no reason to increase the hype. You may would like to learn everything there is to come, but from a business perspective it is better to announce the bare minimum to keep the hype at a steady level and you can try to increase it by announcing new games, when the console sales drop.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The same thing can be said about Sony, it is unknown on what many studios are working, the only thing we learnt at the showcase was what Insomniac is working on.

But the same argument for Sony counts also for XBOX. Why should they already announce their whole roadmap? At this stage XBOX Series X is still sold out anywhere, so there is no reason to increase the hype. You may would like to learn everything there is to come, but from a business perspective it is better to announce the bare minimum to keep the hype at a steady level and you can try to increase it by announcing new games, when the console sales drop.
Totally.

I guess no car companies have any new cars or revamps planned since all people know is what cars are out now and maybe (if they timed it right), they know what next year's models are based on attending an auto show or reading Car & Driver.

I never knew car companies have more new models planned for 2023 and beyond. Here I thought the only new cars are what is seen with my eyes. /S

So for Jez Corden trying to make himself sound like an insider telling the world studios have secret games in development not publicly shown yet has got to be the most ego boosting big shot claim ever.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to my sources (me), there are some games in development at Microsoft Game Studios that have yet to be revealed.
Really? Holy shit I didn't know. Are you an insider? lol

Every time I see a new reveal game trailer, I am amazed to think that game studios are making secret games until that moment.

Top Bottom