• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According Jez Corden only approximately 1/3 of the games in development at Xbox Game Studios have been announced from their overall roadmap

The same thing can be said about Sony, it is unknown on what many studios are working, the only thing we learnt at the showcase was what Insomniac is working on.

But the same argument for Sony counts also for XBOX. Why should they already announce their whole roadmap? At this stage XBOX Series X is still sold out anywhere, so there is no reason to increase the hype. You may would like to learn everything there is to come, but from a business perspective it is better to announce the bare minimum to keep the hype at a steady level and you can try to increase it by announcing new games, when the console sales drop.
Fair points.

It's also covid and the worldwide chip shortage that contributes to delayed announcements. There's fewer new consoles out there than what would have been if the world wasn't hamstrung by this pandemic.

All I want is next gen exclusives and I want them now FFS, lol

Last edited:
Jez's track record on Xbox is impeccable. What he has to say on Xbox can be taken to the bank always. He knew the specs for Series X and S before others ever knew or revealed them. Many said there was no Series S, he always knew there was. He knew about Contraband and Redfall way before others did, he knew about the IO Interactive Fantasy RPG game, he knows specific details about InXile's FPS RPG Project.

It's as simple as this, we have a lot of fakes and fraud insiders out there, but when it concerns Xbox, know that Jez Corden of Windows Central is almost certainly not one of them. That man is always on the money with Xbox.

All I want is next gen exclusives and I want them now FFS, lol
I get you, but they will only announce what needs to be announced since it's release it coming nearer.

I mean just imagine the general consumer, if you announce now some real bombs, the consumer will say, omg I have to get the console. So he will try to buy it but cannot. Then after a few weeks he will probably have changed his mind again thinking about it more clearly long enough. So you want to drop the bombs, when consoles can be bought immediately when the hype is at its max.

I don't believe half of the shit that comes out of the talking heads that specialize in Xbox. The constant shit hype for new consoles and controller skins is fucking done and lost on me. I've been a customer since OG Xbox days and it's not like I am going anywhere with the 600+ digital games I racked up, yet I still tune in to watch Major Nelson and the obnoxious chick with the stupid haircut talk about crap when they put on a show. I don't know why I bother.

Give us the games we fucking want.More back compat, every week. New big JRPG development, since it's been 14 fucking god damned years since Lost Odyssey and Microsoft is made of money while being willing to piss it away on shit like Crackdown 3. Get Japanese studios on board so games aren't absent from Xbox only. Buy someone like Sega, Capcom, or Konami and hit the ground running.

Fuck Jez Corden and his speculation click bait.

frusterated-overwhelmed.gif
Agreed with everything outside of "buy publisher" because I personally don't like fanning that particular flame. But yeah, I am tired of hearing from the same talking heads, Jez, Grubb etc. They've been wrong on a lot more Xbox-related stuff this past year than they've been correct.

Another reason I've been tuning these insiders out, especially the ones Xbox-related, is because they take the wind out of the sails that comes with the surprise of new game announcements and information releases. Hopefully Microsoft cracks down on that; I don't need to keep hearing about a ton of rumors and leaks on new Xbox projects that are likely years away. I'd like to hear more details on games they've already revealed but haven't mentioned in a long time (Everwild, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Hellblade 2 etc. and to be fair we've gotten SOME details on a few of those but they're still mainly just rumors and speculation) if they're going to spoil anything at all game-related.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Seeing as only insomniac is working at two games at the same time, I don't think that's really a problem.
There's a few Sony studios working on multiple games

Naughty Dog
Insomniac Games
Santa Monica
Bluepoint
Guerrilla Games
Firesprite

Good for MS to have a slate of new releases coming though 👍

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, means nothing. I remember Sony devs saying how they have 25 new games in development and they showed up with just two new games. Both without any gameplay. Both years away.

MS first party is set to have a 2022 where they don’t have any non Bethesda games releasing. If Sony doesn’t acquire Insomniac, and MS doesn’t buy zenimax, their lineups would’ve been absolutely dreadful.

Not that anyone is at fault. Games simply take too long to make and if these companies are willing to announce games with cg trailers years in advance, they don’t care about holding back. Neither company is hiding some goty AAA game they will drop on us next week. Next month or next year.

Shubh_C63

Cool. What are they waiting for then.
Its not like they only show gameplay of their A,AA games. If it was only CGI trailer then could have squeezed in at this years E3.

or that means that 2/3 is slated for 2023 atleast.

reksveks

Yeah, means nothing. I remember Sony devs saying how they have 25 new games in development and they showed up with just two new games. Both without any gameplay. Both years away.

MS first party is set to have a 2022 where they don’t have any non Bethesda games releasing. If Sony doesn’t acquire Insomniac, and MS doesn’t buy zenimax, their lineups would’ve been absolutely dreadful.

Not that anyone is at fault. Games simply take too long to make and if these companies are willing to announce games with cg trailers years in advance, they don’t care about holding back. Neither company is hiding some goty AAA game they will drop on us next week. Next month or next year.
I know it ain't announced with a release date but I really think Forza Motorsport will be out in '22.

Cool. What are they waiting for then.
Its not like they only show gameplay of their A,AA games. If it was only CGI trailer then could have squeezed in at this years E3.

or that means that 2/3 is slated for 2023 atleast.

It doesn't work like that.

There are plenty of reasons why publishers, especially if they are console manufacturers, don't announce their games that are way into the future anymore.

Show runtime being filled with announcements, target launch being in sight (2-3 years tops), saving announcements for other trade shows even in succeeding years or face the wrath of fanbase and the press getting negative PR for the brand etc.

Last edited:
Its like Hulst claiming there's 25 sony games in development. I rather just stick to official game announcements. Could be bullshit or plenty could even be canceled before seeing the light of day.

Its like Hulst claiming there's 25 sony games in development. I rather just stick to official game announcements. Could be bullshit or plenty could even be canceled before seeing the light of day.

He actually said "more than 25 games" and that was before all their acquisitions. Not sure if Firesprite games are included.

ParaSeoul

Tired of hearing about how many games X/Y has in development. Just show them,they never have any qualms about showing games a couple years way before.

kuncol02

Banned
Because We Happy Few was achieved with less than a 300,000 dollar budget (and with a 40 person team).

With an actual budget and more help (the team is double the size now), they can and will produce some solid content.
There need to be some error on your side. That's 7.5k per person. Even in Poland that's not enough to pay minimal pension for year.

Mister Wolf

No point in revealing all of their cards. I think they need one more big title first party for 2022 besides Starfield. Hopefully they're hiding something. We got Halo and Forza this year. I dont consider Redfall a "big" title many people will be looking forward to. Could be a surprise hit though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lot of good stuff coming but I am really curious what games from some of the smaller studios like Double Fine and COmpulsion are going to look like? We know Coaliition and Playground are going to put out stellar products but I wanna see what the smaller guys do with more money/support.

Plantoid

I don't care for quantity, i care for quality, I want new games not remakes, remakes, re-anything.

If the unannounced games are NEW, count me in

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd also imagine that given these newly acquired studios would be looking at improved funding, it wouldn't surprise me if they were pitching prototypes/concepts, even if they have a greenlit project in progress.

So much work never sees light of day for a variety of reasons. Especially from first-parties because essentially as corporate units they can only appeal to one authority for approval, and obviously they (the parent) will be looking at the big picture of their entire publishing slate.

Its one of the reasons I'm so down on mass consolidation. No matter how deep the pockets, you are always beholden to corporate strategy. So even you pitch a killer demo, if that thing happens to skew to close to another project that's further underway, most likely its going to be put on ice. When they say, "we offer our devs total freedom" its always horse-shit, because no big business wants to compete against itself, and individual (project) creativity and merit is always going to be seconded to release and production logistics.

The "golden handcuffs" are even worse if you're under a platform holder and not simply a publisher. because the avenues of outlet are even narrower. Platform strategy has to factor in not only first-party product but also important third-party partnerships and their contributions. So for example although MS own Bethesda and therefore ID, should they wish to branch out from their pre-existing franchises they'd have to be sure to steer clear creatively of Halo (first party) but also Battlefield or any other big third party with a co-promotional component.

Ultimately the pressure is always to "stay in your lane", especially if you have a proven IP to work with. Its why things get so stale.

Lognor

Banned
I’m not sure XGS has more devs actually, in terms of personnel. More studios, but I think PlayStation Studios has more manpower.
Nah, that can't be right. I guess the initiative is smaller in terms of people, but Bethesda alone is huge. And I guess with all the outsourcing that goes on now the largest body count isn't the most important thing. Xbox owners gonna be feasting... soonish

Top Bottom