• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls is the greatest comedy of all time

protonion

I always held this opinion and a recent re-watch of this masterpiece after many years solidified it.

First, let me say I didn't like the first one that much. It did a good job establishing the character but in the end what most remember is the legendary climax with the chief. Jim carried a mostly boring script with not so memorable jokes.

But the sequel in on another level. There may be movies that I have laughed harder. But that barrage of funny scenes from the beginning to the end is unbeatable.

Break the movie in a video player in 20 second chunks. You will not find a frame without something funny.

Intro, chitty bang song, monopoly guy, projector scene, spit scene, shikaka scene, caught masturbating, rhino birth, the fight with the tribe warrior (the part where he hits Jim's head with the rhythm gets me every time) ... It never lets go.

And on top of that...
One of the most kick ass themes. I mean listen to this!

And a few classic scenes:

Feel free to wrongly disagree.

I always held this opinion and a recent re-watch of this masterpiece after many years solidified it.

First, let me say I didn't like the first one that much. It did a good job establishing the character but in the end what most remember is the legendary climax with the chief. Jim carried a mostly boring script with not so memorable jokes.

But the sequel in on another level. There may be movies that I have laughed harder. But that barrage of funny scenes from the beginning to the end is unbeatable.

Break the movie in a video player in 20 second chunks. You will not find a frame without something funny.

Intro, chitty bang song, monopoly guy, projector scene, spit scene, shikaka scene, caught masturbating, rhino birth, the fight with the tribe warrior (the part where he hits Jim's head with the rhythm gets me every time) ... It never lets go.

And on top of that...

While I may not be as enthusiastic as you about the movie there is one scene that always makes me laugh...

Soltype

first movie was way better. Pet Detective is unusually well written considering the character and plot lines. Everything around Ace is played straight, so he honestly stands out, in Nature Calls everybody is a character.The first film is also nuanced, not too many comedy films have foreshadowing, some scenes from the film reveal plot development upon second viewing. Dude Where's My Car is also full of this style of weaving .

first movie was way better. Pet Detective is unusually well written considering the character and plot lines. Everything around Ace is played straight, so he honestly stands out, in Nature Calls everybody is a character.The first film is also nuanced, not too many comedy films have foreshadowing, some scenes from the film reveal plot development upon second viewing. Dude Where's My Car is also full of this style of weaving .
Ya the first AV is a legit good movie even if you take out all the goofy shit.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's up there for me. Love it much more than the first. So many great lines. "But this took you 80 years to achieve! It's okay. I dont like it anymore"

Wrong and it's not even close. Here's a list of better comedies off the top of my head real quick:

Friday
Next Friday
Friday After Next
How High
The Big Lebowski
Night at the Roxbury
Step Brothers
Superbad
Talladega Nights
Joe Dirt
Napoleon Dynamite
Scary Movie 1
Scary Movie 2
Office Space
Meet the Parents
Kingpin
Clueless
Austin Powers 1 and 2
National Lampoons movies (Original, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation)
South Park movie
Tommy Boy
Black Sheep
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Borat 1 and 2
The Informant

All of these shit on Ace Ventura movies. Jim Carrey is an AWFUL actor who's been in a couple funny movies. Screaming and making weird faces doesn't make an actor funny. It's actually DISGUSTING how this is even a thread.

Soltype

Black Sheep

All of these shit on Ace Ventura movies. Jim Carrey is an AWFUL actor who's been in a couple funny movies. Screaming and making weird faces doesn't make an actor funny. It's actually DISGUSTING how this is even a thread.
Encino Man No GIF

GC_DALBEN

I love this movie, Jim Carrey was on fire in those years.

Ace 1
Ace 2
Dumb and dumber (best)

3 top20 comedies of all time

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
it was an honest question regarding what is funny about that specific scene. I get AV is slap stick and direct humor, and it has its moments (at least the first one to me) but that specific scene... I just don't get it.
Well, it seems like the road is bumpy. But then the camera turns and you see that the jeep is stable. It's a bit of misdirection. And you get an impression of the supremely confident AV taking the whole serious adventure as a chance to goof around and be an idiot, which is his thing.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It is a great movie undoubtedly, but it's not one of the greatest.

I can think of at least 2 or 3 movies off top my head that I considered to be greater comedies historically.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

And on top of that...

Forgot the slinky scene, brosef

Rockondevil

He's by far my favourite actor and I love all his movies with often rewatches.
I personally think both Ace Ventura movies are on par and depending on peoples preferences determines which they prefer.

I personally place When Nature Calls above Pet Detective but I know many who hold the other opinion.

Tschumi

I prefer dumb and dumber for one thing but i liked this one a lot too.

Fun fact, as a kid in Germany i was cast to play in a movie that featured Simon Callow (the bad guy in this movie), he was nice.. he always talked like he does in Ace, it was a tv film called The Life and Times of Hans Christian Andersen, if i remember right.. wacky old film but fun.. i broke a prop cricket bat.. they made a very scratchy replacement that must surely stand out in deleted scenes...

Edit: actually i think it's called Hans Christian Andersen: my life as a fairytale

Last edited:

GymWolf

I love both movies in equal way.

But the hippo birth scene is legit one of the most funniest shit in cinema history and only carrey could pull that off.

Top Bottom