• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ACK!! What did Nintendo do to Mario Tennis!!

element

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/sports/mariotennis/media.html

ACK!! Look like the bastard child of Mario Party
realmad.gif
realmad.gif
realmad.gif
realmad.gif

That trailer is from E3 and looks awesome. I don't get the Mario Party connection at all. I'm sure it'll have "pure" tennis on normal courts as well, if that's what you're getting at. Mario Tennis on N64 was by far my favorite multiplayer game on the system so I have unbelievably high hopes for this one.

I think everything in the video looks awesome. Long live Camelot. I don't get the Mario Party connection at all, though - I totally love Mario Party, so referencing it as a derogatory slur doesn't compute with me anyway. :D

element

just doesn't look like a tennis game at all. looks like super tennis simulator 1000. like when he pulls out the hammer and shit.
where the hell are the racquet?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well MT already had those unrealistic power shots. so I don't mind if the go a bit further, There are other quality real tennis games in TopSpin and VT. As long as those moves are not game breakers it could be fun.

Just as long as there are modes where shit isn't spilling all over the court in addition to the bonus ones, I am a happy camper.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The tournament mode will play out just like in the first one, no doubt, mostly realistic and such. The only way I could see the tournament mode being 'diluted' any is with the occasional "boss match" which might just feature such crazy courts.

However, on the topic of these crazy courts, looks like they're seriously ramping up the multiplayer aspect. Looks awesome. The E3 video I saw last month looked absolutely insane... in a great way!

hirokazu

i don't like the hammer thing, don't mind if its only for a specific mode, but if it's there no matter what mode you play, then that would be a bummer.

apart from that, looks fine to me.

akascream

Banned
I can't wait for this game. Mario Tennis was the best multiplayer N64 game imo. The fact that it is tennis is really irrelevant. It's just a great competative game with awesome mechanics. Sim games are boring.

I love how it looks, personally. It's going to be different from traditional tennis titles, moreso than the N64 version was. That's a good thing, because I doubt anyone is going to outdo Top Spin in the sim department this gen.

Top Bottom